• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta pushed back, Xbox One Alpha test Dec 9-12

shandy706

Ah, so it sounds like the enemies and players and stuff are kind of bullet-spongy like in Halo or whatever? There goes my interest. The concept really drew me in but I was really hoping it wasn't going to have that MMO-style combat.

******The game is an RPG guys! I think people are missing that. Enemies have hit-points, you put out damage based on your level/weapons/skills.

I mean, there is a subtle difference between "Wizzard warriors of light fighting against evil darkness aliens on Mars" and post apocalyptic New York.

Haha

Got a legit laugh out of me. :)

Orca

By the way....

I shoot all these dudes...yet...zero blood?

Better not be the case in the full game. I hate that kind of shit in gaming and is absolutely unecessary.

Maybe you only get blood on critical hits, because I'm pretty sure when 'a guy on a stream' popped up from behind cover and nailed an enemy with a shotgun blast to the head there was an awful lot of red spray around the hitmarkers.

Because he likes a bit of realism in his games?

Yes because asking for decals and particle effects from pixelated men on a screen indicate that he must be some bloodthirsty murderer.

It's beginning to sound like a fetish. 'Where's the blood? This is a necessary thing to have...Oh found it, dead bodies on the ground with pools of blood, yes, more of that!'

I'm all for 'realism' (in this futuristic augmented world, whatever realism means here) but to be honest I didn't even notice the lack of blood until he brought it up. I mean the ladies eye was pretty messed up in the helicopter if that's any indication of where they're going. Actively citing no gore/ blood as a con is just strange to me. I guess I've never been the Solider of Fortune type to get hung up on stuff like that.

Maybe you only get blood on critical hits, because I'm pretty sure when 'a guy on a stream' popped up from behind cover and nailed an enemy with a shotgun blast to the head there was an awful lot of red spray around the hitmarkers.

That would at least be something, but personally i didn't see any blood man. Realistic blood effects is what i would like to see, not red spray that looks all off.

To come back to the bullet sponge thing....i hope they change that. At least make a headshot count, that's how it has always been in TC games if i'm not mistaken. Baddies should not be able to take a full magazine or more of bullets to the head.

It's beginning to sound like a fetish. 'Where's the blood? This is a necessary thing to have...Oh found it, dead bodies on the ground with pools of blood, yes, more of that!'

I'm all for 'realism' (in this futuristic augmented world, whatever realism means here) but to be honest I didn't even notice the lack of blood until he brought it up. I mean the ladies eye was pretty messed up in the helicopter if that's any indication of where they're going. Actively citing no gore/ blood as a con is just strange to me. I guess I've never been the Solider of Fortune type to get hung up on stuff like that.

I perfectly described what i meant with 'more blood' and i see nothing wrong in wanting to see more of that. Has zero to do with a fetish and it's nonsense of you to bring that up if you ask me.

As it is now, there's just zero blood during these intense gunfights and that looks very very off. Let me also mention that i've gotten used to seeing blood in games that contain violence, that contain guns and lots of shooting. It's a given that any Rockstar game (GTA, RDR, MP, games with guns) for example will contain blood or Fallout 4 for example. Boy how off would it look if BGS had totally removed any blood?. Come on now.

I dig it! They've mentioned that the amount and splatter is intended but there is an issue making the color that bright neon-red that they will be addressing in an update. Some nice dark red/black at night blood with trails would have been awesome!

Hell, i can just imagine this game in first person more in the Tom Clancy style with 1-2 bullet deaths... fewer enemies as a result but far more tense and realistic... everyone super cautious and reluctant as anyone anywhere could put you down with one bullet... enemies and players alike leaving bloody trails in the snow for you to follow... people constantly turning around (only first person, remember you lose all that fake peripheral vision third person gives a player) to check their perimeters... people are nervous and shit scared constantly... big loot rewards with a properly foreboding Darkzone... not the romper room it is now in the Alpha.

God i wish it went that way... less techno, cover, third person wack-a-mole RPG-shooter and more... dark, gritty, realistic, first person MMO.

What you've described in the middle paragraph is basically how the Open World Survival games like DayZ, H1Z1, Ark, etc.. are (though they're usually 3rd Person or toggle between First and Third). Less enemies, anyone can kill you, you die much faster, players fully lootable, etc...

The Division is an Open World TPS RPG with a larger than normal Mulitplayer (I don't know if it's accurate to say MMO as the actual amount of players may be limited). The point is, everything in this game is going to lean towards RPG conventions moreso than shooter conventions and Massive has been up front about this since the reveal announcement.

You know the game is doing well when the compaints refer to small details rather than the core gameplay/mechanics of the game.

Still though. my skittles post would be better than the blood. :p

If anyone still needs access to the Alpha forums, feel free to PM me your Ubi user name. A direct link to your forum profile would help immensely.

Forum access is granted on an individual basis once the NDA has been electronically signed in game. If you still dont have access post-electronic signature please log out of the forums and log back in as this will clear your cache and reset permissions.

ViciousDS

Banned
I just hope the best loot can't only be found in the DZ.

I know in one of the interviews they said the most valuable loot was left there due to the military abandoning it.....but I'm hoping he somehow have alternative ways to finding the best guns. The best guns should be reserved for dungeons/raids if they exist. Maybe even let us find gun parts......because of the games down to earth approach we could find gun stocks, barrels, chambers, body's, grips, triggers, receivers and eventually when you get all the parts to one gun you are able to craft it.

This game could have a killer crafting system with making guns outside of just the standards mods to the guns.

No matter what though, I despise PvP for the most part and always will. When I was 13.....yes it was cool....but I don't feel like working 11 hour days to go into the dark zone to get ganked and lose something I found to find out I got nothing completed or done for the night.

I've played mmorpg's for 14 years. You name any major release and I've played it. At this point its all about the PvE content with some organized PvP on the side. Limiting loot or gear to a certain mode though creates problems. Giving players options to level up or get their gear in the DZ or open world through different methods keeps both sides happy.

PvP'ers can go do what they want in the DZ ganking people everytime a flare hits the sky, while players like my friends and I can just chill, relax and explore the outside world looking for gun parts.....etc.

What you've described in the middle paragraph is basically how the Open World Survival games like DayZ, H1Z1, Ark, etc.. are (though they're usually 3rd Person or toggle between First and Third). Less enemies, anyone can kill you, you die much faster, players fully lootable, etc...

The Division is an Open World TPS RPG with a larger than normal Mulitplayer (I don't know if it's accurate to say MMO as the actual amount of players may be limited). The point is, everything in this game is going to lean towards RPG conventions moreso than shooter conventions and Massive has been up front about this since the reveal announcement.
I completely understand... and praise them for sticking to their guns! I'd just personally prefer a more "realistic" approach... esp. with the Clancy name association. (which at this point is nonsense)

I feel the atmosphere, setting and art direction REALLY lends itself more towards a one and out, realistic FPS MMO-light.

Delryk

I know in one of the interviews they said the most valuable loot was left there due to the military abandoning it.....but I'm hoping he somehow have alternative ways to finding the best guns. The best guns should be reserved for dungeons/raids if they exist. Maybe even let us find gun parts......because of the games down to earth approach we could find gun stocks, barrels, chambers, body's, grips, triggers, receivers and eventually when you get all the parts to one gun you are able to craft it.

This game could have a killer crafting system with making guns outside of just the standards mods to the guns.

No matter what though, I despise PvP for the most part and always will. When I was 13.....yes it was cool....but I don't feel like working 11 hour days to go into the dark zone to get ganked and lose something I found to find out I got nothing completed or done for the night.

I've played mmorpg's for 14 years. You name any major release and I've played it. At this point its all about the PvE content with some organized PvP on the side. Limiting loot or gear to a certain mode though creates problems. Giving players options to level up or get their gear in the DZ or open world through different methods keeps both sides happy.

PvP'ers can go do what they want in the DZ ganking people everytime a flare hits the sky, while players like my friends and I can just chill, relax and explore the outside world looking for gun parts.....etc.

That's exactly how I feel really. I enjoy coop PvE over PvP... As long as the best PVE item is on par with the best PVP.. then, I have no problems with it...

some people don't like open world online 24/7... meanwhile, I've been hoping for years for a game the size of Fallout/Skyrim being multiplayer just to explorer with buddies and such. That being said, I doubt this game is even half the map size of Fallout, but whatever. it's a start. :)

games good

needs more mission variety
location variety
fast travel/mounts something to travel faster. running to mission markers takes forever

ViciousDS

Banned
That's exactly how I feel really. I enjoy coop PvE over PvP... As long as the best PVE item is on par with the best PVP.. then, I have no problems with it...

some people don't like open world online 24/7... meanwhile, I've been hoping for years for a game the size of Fallout/Skyrim being multiplayer just to explorer with buddies and such. That being said, I doubt this game is even half the map size of Fallout, but whatever. it's a start. :)

its online and persistent.....they'll expand it....remember during the initial reveal with all the bridges and they mentioned Manhattan?

New York is huuugggeeee

would be badass to fight our way across the bridge.

One question I have is enemy density. And by that I mean is it like Destiny where if you are exploring will you keep bumping into them or are they spaced out?

And how seamless does the game feel in terms of loading and the day/night cycle?

Bsigg12

One question I have is enemy density. And by that I mean is it like Destiny where if you are exploring will you keep bumping into them or are they spaced out?

And how seamless does the game feel in terms of loading and the day/night cycle?

Depends on the area. Freeroam and Darkzone have different NPC densities since in the Darkzone there's PvP. I do think the NPC density in the Darkzone could be upped a little but I'll wait for the beta before really making any noise about it.

1 big load into the game, happens when you join a group not on the same server as you as well, and everything after that is pretty seamless.

games good

needs more mission variety
location variety
fast travel/mounts something to travel faster. running to mission markers takes forever

There is fast travel btw. I like that you are always on foot. No mounts. I like the fact that the player can come across other things while on route to a destination....be it loot, open apartment buildings or a small skirmish... etc. I like the feeling of being "in it" at all times.

Especially in Dark Zones. I get some DayZ vibes which is great. Shit can get tense. Better yet, nowhere near as jankey.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Why not just play an MMO?

Depends on the area. Freeroam and Darkzone have different NPC densities since in the Darkzone there's PvP. I do think the NPC density in the Darkzone could be upped a little but I'll wait for the beta before really making any noise about it.

1 big load into the game, happens when you join a group not on the same server as you as well, and everything after that is pretty seamless.

Thanks!! Hype is through the roof!

Now Hitman, do you know when the team plans to announce anything about the season pass and what it will add?

asocirev

Well said. I am in the alpha but nervous about how much they tout dark zones. I am in this for rich co-op PVE, we'll see...

SJRB

Gold Member
Really happy with all these positive impressions, I've been waiting for this game for a LOOOOOONG time and I was kinda worried it wouldn't live up to its promise.

I still can't believe this game will come out almost three years after its initial reveal at E3 2013. Bizarre.

Certinty

I'm mainly getting this to explore and play the campaign with friends more than anything so I also hope most of the map isn't covered by dark zones.

On the note of the map, how big is it?

Archpath1

Replay rescue mission on hard get blue gear, 1 blue drop almost each time

Then go into DZ op as hell and wreck shit

Worked for me

Vvvv- yeah select difficulty ,change to hard
And it scales to your level too

RoKKeR

Played for about 45 minutes with a friend, went through and completed the main mission. Really fun, great aesthetic and I think this game has a lot of promise.

My biggest criticism is information overload. I know part of this is due to it being a new game, but there is just way, way too much going on on screen. From the enemies having giant health/level/damage counters to the directional cues, contextual menus/info-pop ups... there is just a lot and it can feel overwhelming.

shandy706

I really want to talk about shooting materials and objects in the game. I found and figured out some neat things. Spent a ton of time experimenting.

Nothing negative....stupid NDA.

Someone from UBI needs to come in here and give the ok on good/interesting discussion. Anything negative/controversial could remain in their forums.

jesu

I pre-ordered it just so I could get the beta access.
Keeping my pre-order after playing the alpha/beta.
Will mainly be playing it solo, seems like a decent RPG shooter.
I'm scared of the dark zone though!

Top Bottom