• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta pushed back, Xbox One Alpha test Dec 9-12

Lord.of.War

Neo Member
Alighty man. There is no conversation worth having with someone that has such a clear agenda. Enjoy being angry at Ubisoft for making a dense and gorgeous game world that also runs really well.

There's a difference between being angry and being aware of the fact that Ubisoft will happily lie to your face if it means it can wring every last cent out of you. Enjoy being apathetic, Ubisoft loves it when people keep throwing money at it regardless of how badly it behaves.

There's a difference between being angry and being aware of the fact that Ubisoft will happily lie to your face if it means it can wring every last cent out of you. Enjoy being apathetic, Ubisoft loves it when people keep throwing money at it regardless of how badly it behaves.

Lol, you're going to go places here on Gaf.

Anyway, I like what I have seen with the game so far. Can't wait to see more with the beta.

M.W.

I'm going to buy 100 copies of this game.

It's the best game of 2016. Mark it.

Hawk269

I did not get to play as much of the Alpha as I wanted too, but enough to sell me on the game. A lot of work still to be done, but I was impressed and will definitely buy the game when it releases.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

But at this point people have already played the game and made up their mind for themselves. If Ubisoft misrepresented the game or not doesn't matter to them.

Seems like the Alpha has ended. Some thoughts:

Snowdrop has really nice lit volumetrics and particle features, everything else is average.

Visually the biggest downgrades are in the diegetic UI which was such a huge part of the E3 2013 trailer, and which looking back were obviously all faked. There's no instances where you open a gun case and examine the gun loot inside with cool infographic overlays and stuff, for instance, and the holographic map is quite a bit less less dramatic. Streets don't all have their own diegetic floating name, you don't scan every dead person's face you come across and find out their life story, etc.

No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals. Maybe in the PC build? I didn't see any instances of bullet penetration which they highlighted in 2013 as well (the guy getting scanned and then shot through cover, the bullet holes in the billboard actually letting sun-rays through). They do have the car door closing though, I know that would be a deal-breaker for some.

Controls are pretty clunky, noticable input lag on many movements and actions. Cover system is implemented and the game constantly hits you over the head with object highlight prompts to stick to cover but by the end of the alpha I abandoned the system completely; it just gets in your way.

Game has an unfortunate one-two combination of very spongy enemies with poor hit feedback. Games like Destiny that have excellent feedback on enemy hits can get away with spongy enemies (to a certain extent, at least). In it's current state the Division can't. It feels pretty ridiculous seeing some random thug absorb 50 bullets from a belt-fed LMG.

No passive matchmaking (IE: Destiny-style) in areas outside of the Dark Zone or the Hub home base, at least in the Alpha, which is disappointing. You can do a face-to-face team join with strangers in the Hub or Dark Zone with no loading screens though, which is cool. They've also implemented prox chat in the Dark Zone, which is cool.

Encounter pocket density in the "overworld" (non-mission-areas) is really, really low. In both the Dark Zone and the PVE-only areas you can walk for many minutes without seeing a hostile NPC. The Dark Zone suffers the most from this since there's no missions and seemingly no public event style occurances. In fact a lot of my Dark Zone time seemed to consist of groups and individuals wildly searching across the map for the elusive groups of enemies.

Willing to keep going with it into the beta and retail to see what else they've got up their sleeve!

jesu

No passive matchmaking (IE: Destiny-style) in areas outside of the Dark Zone or the Hub home base, at least in the Alpha, which is disappointing. You can do a face-to-face team join with strangers in the Hub or Dark Zone with no loading screens though, which is cool. They've also implemented prox chat in the Dark Zone, which is cool.

What does no passive match making mean?

I like that you can match make in any story mission, something sadly missing in Destiny.

What does no passive match making mean?

I like that you can match make in any story mission, something sadly missing in Destiny.

passive meaning people just appear around you "magically" without you having to do anything ie: DBZ Xenoverse town, GTAO free roam.

active match making would be something like hitting a button and going into a hopper then getting your party and launching into the game. IE: Destiny strike playlist.

oti

Banned
I am very happy with this Alpha. I now know that all my hype for this game was justified, I know how the game is structured and I want to play it.

That said, I still have to decide upon which version to get Day 1. PC should be the best choice performance-wise but my PS4 friendslist is way bigger but Xbox One has the gamertag I want to use (damn you Sony).

I like the stat that 11% of players went rouge, out of the 43% who tried out the dark zone. Means there will always be that chance it could happen, but it's not everyone, and I did see some mutural comradery in the end in the DZ, had some good experiences with randoms. I thought the alpha was running right through the weekend, that was when I planned to really try and hook up with people ha, was surprised to see it was done.

without discussing any details, I will say I went in and initiatally had some major reservations, but the core experience probably did win through in the end, I'll probably buy. I think 75% of my problems can be fixed, some are most definitely going to be baked into the engine at this point and unchangeable for this iteration, but it is actually a pretty cool game. Adds up to more than the sum of it's parts in the way quite a few ubi games haven't lately. I also didn't see anything that makes me think they won't make ship date. My biggest question there ( and this is from before the alpha) is this and Far Cry being in such close proximity. Doesn't make sense to me.

SJRB

Gold Member
I like the stat that 11% of players went rouge, out of the 43% who tried out the dark zone. Means there will always be that chance it could happen, but it's not everyone, and I did see some mutural comradery in the end in the DZ, had some good experiences with randoms. I thought the alpha was running right through the weekend, that was when I planned to really try and hook up with people ha, was surprised to see it was done.

without discussing any details, I will say I went in and initiatally had some major reservations, but the core experience probably did win through in the end, I'll probably buy. I think 75% of my problems can be fixed, some are most definitely going to be baked into the engine at this point and unchangeable for this iteration, but it is actually a pretty cool game. Adds up to more than the sum of it's parts in the way quite a few ubi games haven't lately. I also didn't see anything that makes me think they won't make ship date. My biggest question there ( and this is from before the alpha) is this and Far Cry being in such close proximity. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last year Ubi released Assassin's Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 one week apart and it really didn't hurt either.

Far Cry Primal and The Division are two totally different games, I think a month's seperation will be more than fine.

Provided neither game will be delayed, of course.

Is the car door closing animation in ? That's all that matters to me.

It is. Also the if you shoot tyres and through windows, it looks the same as the E3 2013 trailer as well. They've done a better job of hitting that level of quality than I thought, and this is just Alpha. Expecting a bit more polish come release.

No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals.

Sorry, but this isn't true. If you shoot up a car window, the bullets will go straight through and out of the other side. They're not simply decals at all.

Last year Ubi released Assassin's Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 one week apart and it really didn't hurt either.

Far Cry Primal and The Division are two totally different games, I think a month's seperation will be more than fine.

Provided neither game will be delayed, of course.

I skipped Unity for 6 months and got Far Cry 4 *shrug* I only have so much time to play big open world experiences. Never mind having to weigh up Ubi's offerings against other companies, I don't think I should ever be weighing up two of their own open worlds against each other in such close proximity.

Obivously I know both are different games. I've played Far Cry, and I just played the division for three days. Excited for both, but they do take up a lot of time to enjoy. They're two weeks apart btw, not a month. I wouldn't have made the comment if it was a month. 23rd for Far Cry Primal, 8th for Division (provided no delays). As this is, I will likely rush Primal to be ready for Division. At one point, Deus Ex and Mirror's edge were in that window too haha christ.

Falcker

Sorry, but this isn't true. If you shoot up a car window, the bullets will go straight through and out of the other side. They're not simply decals at all.
Can we stop having people lie about this? In the reveal footage of the game you could literally shoot pieces of the window out individually which is not possible in the alpha. It's one of the first things I tried and was very disappointed at the diwngrade.

ViciousDS

Banned
Can we stop having people lie about this? In the reveal footage of the game you could literally shoot pieces of the window out individually which is not possible in the alpha. It's one of the first things I tried and was very disappointed at the diwngrade.

Depends on the windows dude......car windows.....oh yes you can.

I have footage to prove it too!

When I get home, I'll do some looking and see where I can find it, but I definitely messed around shooting tires and windows and some car windows came apart in pieces falling to the ground. Windshields though told a different story...........for now.

Kudo

Is there some date they'll remove NDA, or is that under the NDA too..?
Really interested in this game, hopefully it manages to deliver. Everyone seems to be having good time with the Alpha at least.

Falcker

Depends on the windows dude......car windows.....oh yes you can.

I have footage to prove it too!

When I get home, I'll do some looking and see where I can find it, but I definitely messed around shooting tires and windows and some car windows came apart in pieces falling to the ground. Windshields though told a different story...........for now.

Provide footage because otherwise I know what I saw from alpha and it was not what they presented at E3 in the slightest.

I'm not lying. I've stood there and shot up a car window, several car windows and it's done exactly that.

ViciousDS

Banned
Provide footage because otherwise I know what I saw from alpha and it was not what they presented at E3 in the slightest.

at work, I'll check when I get home.

EDIT:

Wait....you're comparing the alpha to basically concept footage? The windows do fall apart but you are not going to get insane differences in glass damage buddy in such an old build. In the old builds I think god rays even came through bullet holes lol.....it was totally a proof of concept in 2013.

It doesn't at all.

https://youtu.be/_aHVdb2lkjo?t=228

I tried on multiple windows to recreate this kind of detailed destruction, it has nothing close to whats shown in the video. Shooting a window results in 1 simple bullet hole art being laid over everything.

What I'm saying is, you can shoot through a window and the bullets will pass through the window on the other side. I know what I saw. So we're going to have to agree to disagree until someone uploads footage. I even went around to the other side of the car to check and there were bullet holes.

Falcker

at work, I'll check when I get home.

EDIT:

Wait....you're comparing the alpha to basically concept footage?.

YES thats specifically what the person compared it to which you then argued.

"No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals. Maybe in the PC build?"

Orbital LITERALLY quoted this and argued it did have said visual effects which is exactly what I responded to.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188929472&postcount=1177

Falcker

What I'm saying is, you can shoot through a window and the bullets will pass through the window on the other side. I know what I saw. So we're going to have to agree to disagree until someone uploads footage. I even went around to the other side of the car to check and there were bullet holes.

Thats not what you said, you quoted...

"No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals."

And said...

"Sorry, but this isn't true. If you shoot up a car window, the bullets will go straight through and out of the other side. They're not simply decals at all."

You quoted nothing but his musings on the graphics. He said the graphical effects from the 2013 car destruction was gone and you said otherwise which is flat out false.

ViciousDS

Banned

"No sign of any of the procedural car destruction they showed off in the E3 2013 trailer. Bullet strikes on windows produce simple bullet-hole decals."

And said...

"Sorry, but this isn't true. If you shoot up a car window, the bullets will go straight through and out of the other side. They're not simply decals at all."

You quoted nothing but his musings on the graphics. He said the graphical effects from the 2013 car destruction was gone and you said otherwise which is flat out false.

if you want to go that technical then hes half correct, because the windows do fall apart which would lead beyond the simple bullet strike decals. But he is correct, atm its a generic bullet hole when the window isn't falling in pieces.

I'm done with this though, you guys can have fun.

Back to work I go!~

And said...

I'm refuting the point that they're decals/textures. They're not just simple decals. The bullets can go through the windows and out of the other side. This is going nowhere. Like I said in my last post, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Only problem is they said the best loot would be there which is strange for a pve focused game.

Dark zone is still PVE based, there's just also PVP in it. Think contested zones in Warcraft. Only now, if you get loot there and don't get it extracted in time, someone can kill you and take it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Dark zone is still PVE based, there's just also PVP in it. Think contested zones in Warcraft. Only now, if you get loot there and don't get it extracted in time, someone can kill you and take it.

It's definitely PvPvE like Aion....except its a free for all.

But it mostly turns into just straight up PvP because players just shoot anything that moves or when they graze someone they might as well just kill them or be killed. I watched 8 players yesterday just sit at a safespot and just keep spawning and murdering each other there for a good 20 minutes....got insanely boring to spectate it lol. Die, instantly repawns with no timer, kill, get marked rogue, repeat.

shandy706

It doesn't at all.

I tried on multiple windows to recreate this kind of detailed destruction, it has nothing close to whats shown in the video. Shooting a window results in 1 simple bullet hole art being laid over everything.

I have to agree woth the other guy. I shot windows and Glass in multiple locations and the glass broke out around shots if placed near each other.

This isn't a matter of argument. I saw it with my own eyes in multiple places. Sometimes the glass just broke and all fell away, but in testing it and in battles I had small sections and random sections blown apart.

I also shot some metal lights and the holes in the light guards actually shone through the holes!!!!

Was very surprised.

If you shoot fabric/leather couches, the leather RIPPLES on impact. So cool.

I did a ton of materials/environmental testing with bullets.

Also, it's an Alpha. I didn't expect it to have as much in as it did.

Edit** oh, and if you shoot TVS it causes vertical damage to the Panel's image.

Question for people who got into PVP fire fights: What do you think about the games potential if Ubi were to implement a team death match mode? Did the gameplay feel good enough for something like that or do you think it should stay with the PVE formula with the occasional dark zone PVP?

Jarrod38

Made it into the Dark Zone and came across a group of players and just helped them out on taking out the enemies. The only issue I saw was a few players camping the entrance/exit gates to the dark zone killing anyone that spawned.

Top Bottom