• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doomsday Cult of Bitcoin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

I sure hope Bitcoin and the like aren't going to crash soon. We're so close to seeing the mass flood of F2P games with built-in mining software and existing F2P games being patched to include it. Some of the plans with this even get as stupid as using games to mine bitcoins to, then sell, to use some of the profit to gather other virtual game currencies and trade them for more bitcoins.
Holy shit if you're not jokin. :|

Dmented

Banned
I sure hope Bitcoin and the like aren't going to crash soon. We're so close to seeing the mass flood of F2P games with built-in mining software and existing F2P games being patched to include it. Some of the plans with this even get as stupid as using games to mine bitcoins to, then sell, to use some of the profit to gather other virtual game currencies and trade them for more bitcoins.

That's... interesting. Do you have any examples of this? Cause yeah, holy shit if true.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No doubt that confidence in Bitcoin has been rattled as of late, but the fact that after all of the recent bad news its price is still sitting reasonably steady on $600+ says to me that it now has a strong foundation.
What?

KissVibes

Banned
That's... interesting. Do you have any examples of this? Cause yeah, holy shit if true.

Uber Entertainment is the first company to my immediate knowledge to give this concept a shot. Basically, you ran a mining program and they gave you virtual items for Super Monday Night Combat. It was unsuccessful because Uber stopped supporting the game.

Here's a link about their partnership with the Bitcoin start up, CoinLab:

http://pool.coinlab.com/partners

CoinLab exists to make deals like this within gaming with other companies. Only, moving forward these mining operations will be built directly within the client, running in the background. The goal is to make money from gamers who will never put money into the F2P game they're currently playing That's the best public example I can give at the moment.

Edit: Coinlab is also partnered with Wurm online: http://pool.coinlab.com/partners/wurm

The person who told me about all this said that the developer he works for is currently in early development on a first-person battle arena gameit's own mining program built into it. They would like to keep it private, although they've had discussions with CoinLab about using their services too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A central bank controlled by a computer rather than a human is a concept that I can get behind and that people from ultra-inflactionary countries with trigger-happy moneyprints like Argentina might appreciate too.
This is interesting, and something I never understood. Who is in charge of the currency? Who controls its emission? What exactly is bitcoin mining?

way more

"Mining" bitcoins is essentially just performing complex calculations with your computer over and over.

Graphics cards are much better at certain calculations than CPUs are, that's why we have them at all in the first place. Programs/scripts have been written to perform the bitcoin calculations using GPUs which run much faster than any CPU based scripts.

Then the complex equations used to mine coins has to grow with the availability of processors out there? Is it that easy to just make equations harder to solve?

Someone should make a crypto currency called buttcoin.
u7NA8zX.jpg

The thing I can't get over is the founder of bitcoin being an anonymous pseudonym "Satoshi Nakamoto".

Pyramid scheme, much?

That's my thoughts too. 'Earns' a few coins at the start which are worth zero, the more people 'buy in' to the madness the more value the coins gain and the harder it becomes for others to earn coins.

It's perfection.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I still can't wrap my head around how people didn't (and some still don't) understand that an inherently deflationary currency is a bad idea.

Because they wanted to make money. At the end of the day the inherent conflict between wanting BitCoin to succeed as a currency and wanting to use BitCoin as a personal investment did a lot of damage I think

kick51

Banned
actually it's returned to average already:

I don't understand how one of the mildest and fastest crash event in bitcoin's history has brought on so many "it's doomed" articles.

These articles should've been in much greater quantity when it crashed 50% and took forever to recover and when it could almost literally only be used to buy drugs.

vikki

Cult-like is pretty accurate. The only person that I know personally that has mentioned Bitcoin also constantly posts conspiracy theories. He goes on about GMO's, Growing your own food (which seems pretty cool at times), other various truther conspiracies, the free market this the free market that.

Fury Sense

Whether mass changed is effected by bitcoin or something else, the demand for its benefits are undeniable. It's decentralized, fast, cheap, and worldwide. These are things our ever globalizing economy increasingly desires. I'm completely confident that bitcoin isn't going to fizzle out without contributing to some major changes in the financial landscape.

Anyone who's lost money in bitcoin has only themselves to blame.

kick51

Banned
Whether mass changed is effected by bitcoin or something else, the demand for its benefits are undeniable. It's decentralized, fast, cheap, and worldwide. These are things our ever globalizing economy increasingly desires. I'm completely confident that bitcoin isn't going to fizzle out without contributing to some major changes in the financial landscape.

Anyone who's lost money in bitcoin has only themselves to blame.

This is how I see it. I guess that makes me "moderate" or something. I just think it's novel in enough ways to be worthwhile, though I acknowledge all the insanity around it (from both the blind-loving and blind-skeptic sides)

FyreWulff

Keep all your savings in fiat currency because that's the smarter choice of course.

All currency is fiat currency.

Interestingly though, if someone robs my bank, I still get my money back. If someone steals my credit or debit card, I still get my money back. If someone robs my bitcoin wallet.. it's gone. Government backing of banks is a good thing.

Koppai

Some girl who ran a company dealing with bitcoin committed suicide in Singapore last week. I don't even trust the banks to keep my money safe , you think I'm gonna use some virtual currency that has no protection? LOL.

It's a bit of a shame, because there's some merit to the underlying concept of Bitcoin. It's a currency created specifically for the internet age, and one that could theoretically make the enchange of value far more efficient. But tragically, Bitcoin's biggest supporters are the main reason it can never thrive. People buy in not to use it as a currency, but to try and ride the hype into untold riches. As a result, the price is volatile as fuck & thus impractical to use for its' intended purpose.

Perhaps in a century's time, we'll look back at Bitcoin and see it as ahead of its' time. Or maybe as just a good idea run into the ground by the realities of human interest.

Honest question from someone who doesn't fully understand bitcoin: How is it better suited for the internet age than existing currency? My money is already digital. I sometimes go six months or more without having any physical currency in my possession.

SummitAve

Banned
anything where 1 coin is equal to hundreds of dollars is pretty silly

This has to be one of the most idiotic posts in a bitcoin thread I've seen.

All currency is fiat currency.

Interestingly though, if someone robs my bank, I still get my money back. If someone steals my credit or debit card, I still get my money back. If someone robs my bitcoin wallet.. it's gone. Government backing of banks is a good thing.

Interestingly though, none of that is neccesarily true.

huxley00

LIke most things in life, the right answer is somewhere in the middle. Is Bitcoin the end all be all to currency? Absolutely not. Does it have use and value? Yes, of course. Its a 100% anonymous way to transfer wealth from one party to another. That has a huge value..mainly for transactions you wish to keep the government out of. Some people fail to recognize that Bitcoin is really only about anonymity, not much else.

Gaz_RB

anything where 1 coin is equal to hundreds of dollars is pretty silly

lol this is a joke post right?

LIke most things in life, the right answer is somewhere in the middle. Is Bitcoin the end all be all to currency? Absolutely not. Does it have use and value? Yes, of course. Its a 100% anonymous way to transfer wealth from one party to another. That has a huge value..mainly for transactions you wish to keep the government out of. Some people fail to recognize that Bitcoin is really only about anonymity, not much else.

It's not even truly anonymous.

Some girl who ran a company dealing with bitcoin committed suicide in Singapore last week. I don't even trust the banks to keep my money safe , you think I'm gonna use some virtual currency that has no protection? LOL.

The company doesn't even deal with bitcoins currently... Linking her to bitcoins in a major way has been quite the leap being made by a lof of media outlets it seems.

Kainazzo

I've noticed how people who believe in these sort of things always speak so passionately, and it does nothing but drive everyone else away. I've never once read:

"Hello. While it's commendable to be working so hard towards your own livlihood, there are several oft-overlooked indicators that you may want to consider. Unfortunately, there is mounting evidence that chemtrails and GMOs only work for your disinterest; programs funded by your local government. For more information on this evidence, please consult your local sun god."

No, it's only high-octane calls of ignorance, death, and their own superiority. Perhaps this energy in inherent in their fringeness, but it wouldn't hurt to be nice every once in a while. These are the guys who are going to bring down the government and create an eternal utopia, surely they have time for a little courtesy.

kick51

Banned
I've noticed how people who believe in these sort of things always speak so passionately, and it does nothing but drive everyone else away. I've never once read:

"Hello. While it's commendable to be working so hard towards your own livlihood, there are several oft-overlooked indicators that you may want to consider. Unfortunately, there is mounting evidence that chemtrails and GMOs only work for your disinterest; programs funded by your local government. For more information on this evidence, please consult your local sun god."

No, it's only high-octane calls of ignorance, death, and their own superiority. Perhaps this energy in inherent in their fringeness, but it wouldn't hurt to be nice every once in a while.

maybe you should read the previous few posts and see some moderate views on it

Kainazzo

maybe you should read the previous few posts and see some moderate views on it

I should. Missed them while typing, thanks. I'm not directing any of that towards you or even Bitcoin. Indeed I think some fundamentals of it will be lasting and essential for the future. I'm really just talking about the example quotes, as well as the spillover from Unsolved Mysteries and Above Top Secret that you sometimes see.

Orayn

>90% of the population of the entire world will probably never reach that cap, so to the vast majority of people, their money is entirely safe in a bank.

But that money isn't realll, mannnn. The government can, like, generate more of it out of nothing. Bitcoins on the other ha- Oh.

In all seriousness I'm not completely skeptical of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I'm not about to pour my life savings into them, but they definitely have some innovative features that will probably wind up having a long-term impact.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Bitcoin, at the moment, is in a slump, with a community that has become its own parody … The Bitcoin masses, judging by their behavior on forums, have no actual interest in science, technology or even objective reality when it interferes with their market position."

Goddamn that ether. Haven't seen a better description yet.

500 million $ heist?

Why am I laughing so hard?
Truly a currency we can believe in. Why centralize or protect it when this can't happen?

The idea is great, although pretty flawed. Kind of surprised people invested their entire lives into this with such glaring flaws.

jstripes

Banned
The article sounded a bit like the Linux fanatics of the '90s and early '00s.

Of course, Google eventually co-opted their project and turned it into a barely recognizable success. (Android.)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
"Mining" bitcoins is essentially just performing complex calculations with your computer over and over.

Graphics cards are much better at certain calculations than CPUs are, that's why we have them at all in the first place. Programs/scripts have been written to perform the bitcoin calculations using GPUs which run much faster than any CPU based scripts.

Obviously the more GPUs you have the more power you'll have, so that's why they have those ridiculous multi GPU setups for "mining".

I've never mined virtual currency myself so this might not be perfectly accurate, but I think it's close enough.

The calculations aren't really that complex at all.

Obviously the more GPUs you have the more power you'll have, so that's why they have those ridiculous multi GPU setups for "mining".

I've never mined virtual currency myself so this might not be perfectly accurate, but I think it's close enough.

so what you're saying is that the PS4 is both cheaper than the Xbox One and worth more than Xbox One

amazing

I do wonder how and why people have the time and energy to waste on bitcoin. I guess it's a hobby, but if making money is the goal... there is so many better and more efficient ways to do that, and maybe even be productive in the process.

huxley00

lol this is a joke post right?

It's not even truly anonymous.

The company doesn't even deal with bitcoins currently... Linking her to bitcoins in a major way has been quite the leap being made by a lof of media outlets it seems.

I don't understand, elaborate please? Unless you're saying that it isn't anonymous in the sense that nothing in the world is truly anonymous.

KHarvey16

That's my thoughts too. 'Earns' a few coins at the start which are worth zero, the more people 'buy in' to the madness the more value the coins gain and the harder it becomes for others to earn coins.

It's perfection.

Calling it a pyramid scheme doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Paying taxes is unholy and an abomination. Render unto Caesar what is Caesars (NOTHING) and to Creation what belongs to Creation (all things).
Wow, way to completely misunderstand that quote. If Jesus had wanted to say, "Don't pay your taxes," he would've just said so, because in context, that was what he was being asked, but instead he used that opportunity to make an argument for the separation of church and state. It's amazing what lengths Republicans will go to mis-read the Bible just to try to reconcile their many conflicting beliefs.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
How much does it cost to mine?

Lets say I spend a couple grand on my dedicated mining system, & have it eating electricity at full capacity 24/7, what kind of bitcoin return could I expect per month? per year?

Am I likely to be spending more on electricity than I make mining?

Orayn

Lets say I spend a couple grand on my dedicated mining system, & have it eating electricity at full capacity 24/7, what kind of bitcoin return could I expect per month? per year?

You could pick some hardware and use a calculator to get a very rough idea:

http://www.butterflylabs.com/

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

But there's a LOT the calculator doesn't account for. The "difficulty" changes over time, the actual price of bitcoins fluctuates, etc.

EDIT: Like KHarvey said, Bitcoin is a little too big and powerful for a home-based mining operation to make much money. A lot of the heavy lifting for Bitcoin is now being done in huge mining farms dedicated to that purpose.

Buying your own hardware is still viable for younger currencies like Dogecoin and Litecoin, at least for now. I've also heard of people getting in early to mine some of the dozens of new cryptocurrencies that pop up every week, then trading them for Doge or Lite.

KHarvey16

It doesn't make financial sense for an individual to mine bitcoin anymore I don't believe. There are so many specialized systems used to do nothing but mine bitcoins that the difficulty is such it won't be profitable on a small scale.

The whole process is super interesting though if you like that sort of thing, so look into others like litecoin or dogecoin if you want to learn how it works.

Gaz_RB

I don't understand, elaborate please? Unless you're saying that it isn't anonymous in the sense that nothing in the world is truly anonymous.

http://anonymity-in-bitcoin.blogspot.com/2011/07/bitcoin-is-not-anonymous.html

It's quite the read.

Basically, through casual usage it's only pseudo-anonymous at best.

You'd probably make about 5 bucks a year.

The article, like some people here, are caricaturing most bitcoin users.

Almost no one believes in it as a currency, it is more like gambling and a lot of people have become rich thanks to it.

Hard to "feel bad" for those who were smart enough to invest early on it.

Bitcoin jealously is a thing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom