• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doomsday Cult of Bitcoin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Strange that the first thing they think of when news about Satoshi comes out is 'his life is in danger'! If the community wasn't filled with so many shady, anonymous people doing shady things, perhaps people wouldn't jump to the same kinds of conclusions we come to when we talk about drug kingpins and mafia bosses?

I think these people are just your bog-standard conspiracy theorists. Like, they're not talking about mob bosses, they're talking about shadow bankers, CIA fiat-peddlers, and agents of the Obamacare murderstate.

x3sphere

If you believe all the Bitcoin believers, the Satoshi Nakamoto that Newsweek outed isn't really the real guy. Oh, and if he is then fuck Newsweek because they put his life in danger or something. They're all foaming at the mouth, half insisting he's fake, half outraged about the invasion of privacy, and half absolutely sure that robbers/the NSA/NWO/lizard people are coming to kill him and take his coins. (Yeah, that's 150 percent.)

Strange that the first thing they think of when news about Satoshi comes out is 'his life is in danger'! If the community wasn't filled with so many shady, anonymous people doing shady things, perhaps people wouldn't jump to the same kinds of conclusions we come to when we talk about drug kingpins and mafia bosses?

Claims that his life is in danger may have some merit, we are talking about someone that is living like the average person but with $400 million net worth. He has no security and lives in a middle class suburb. Even just for the average criminal, he's an easy target.

CrunchyB

If you believe all the Bitcoin believers, the Satoshi Nakamoto that Newsweek outed isn't really the real guy.

He almost certainly isn't the guy. The man Newsweek talked to barely speaks English, while the original Bitcoin white paper was very eloquent. At the very least he had help writing it.

Most likely the real SN was actually a group of people located in Europe, based on the high quality and quantity of work, predominant British spelling used and timezone activity.

Oh, and if he is then fuck Newsweek because they put his life in danger or something.

I'd say it's irresponsible to disclose the address of someone possibly hoarding a lot of money. Doesn't matter if it's true, some people might go looking for those millions stuffed in the proverbial mattress.

He almost certainly isn't the guy. The man Newsweek talked to barely speaks English, while the original Bitcoin white paper was very eloquent. At the very least he had help writing it.

As someone who has edited Chinese student academic essays, being able to write eloquently is by no means a guarantee that you can speak well.

AlexMogil

Think of all that computing power used to play games. The argument isn't any different if you swap WoW or Civ 5 for bitcoin mining.

Mweeellllll... sure yeah. But I chose to see it this way. You have spare computing cycles, there is a folding client available for those cycles that can be used as a virtual compute cluster that can help a research facility. No personal gain except for altruism and an ability to be on a leaderboard. Now there's this new software available that gives you value (Bitcoin) for those same cycles.

The cluster you created to be in first place for Folding@Home sure looks silly 'wasting cycles' when it would be making 'money.'

My stance which is not exactly educated - why not merge the work somehow. Allow the compute cycles to be applied to Folding. Somehow. I dunno I don't have it worked out.

I suppose I could take your argument and say that any electricity used to heat a home is wasteful or selfish if someone doesn't have heat somewhere in the world.

thespot84

Mweeellllll... sure yeah. But I chose to see it this way. You have spare computing cycles, there is a folding client available for those cycles that can be used as a virtual compute cluster that can help a research facility. No personal gain except for altruism and an ability to be on a leaderboard. Now there's this new software available that gives you value (Bitcoin) for those same cycles.

The cluster you created to be in first place for Folding@Home sure looks silly 'wasting cycles' when it would be making 'money.'

My stance which is not exactly educated - why not merge the work somehow. Allow the compute cycles to be applied to Folding. Somehow. I dunno I don't have it worked out.

I suppose I could take your argument and say that any electricity used to heat a home is wasteful or selfish if someone doesn't have heat somewhere in the world.

Proof of work requires computation of a known endpoint. This is the crux of the blockchain, without it cryptos simple wouldn't work. Folding and seti have unknown endpoints, so unfortunately they can't be combined.

verbum

I wonder if there is a super secret cryptocurrency limited to small circles of wealth and power. So no one can track certain expenditures.

I sure hope Bitcoin and the like aren't going to crash soon. We're so close to seeing the mass flood of F2P games with built-in mining software and existing F2P games being patched to include it.

I sure hope that built in mining software means I get something out of it on top of paying for stamina bars and shit etc.

AlexMogil

Proof of work requires computation of a known endpoint. This is the crux of the blockchain, without it cryptos simple wouldn't work. Folding and seti have unknown endpoints, so unfortunately they can't be combined.

Yeah I said that already. I'm allowed to wish though.

If you believe all the Bitcoin believers, the Satoshi Nakamoto that Newsweek outed isn't really the real guy.

Had a longer post here, but the short version is this:

1. I buy the Newsweek story, in spite of the denials by DN and satoshi at bitcointalk.
2. I think this -

I think these people are just your bog-standard conspiracy theorists. Like, they're not talking about mob bosses, they're talking about shadow bankers, CIA fiat-peddlers, and agents of the Obamacare murderstate.

- is, unfortunately, a large part of the reason why they refuse to believe it.

But hey, I'm OK being wrong. Gut says otherwise, though.

Makai

A Bitcoin bank called Polobiex was hacked and 12.3% of its Bitcoins. This is about 77 BTC or $50,000. Here is the owner's official forum post (lol) explaining how they plan to recover:

I take full responsibility for this and am committed to repaying the debt of BTC. The exchange funds are 12.3% short. Because there is not enough BTC to cover everyone's balances, all balances will temporarily be deducted by 12.3%.

Wow! Anarcho-capitalists can be egalitarian, too. :)

x3sphere

Had a longer post here, but the short version is this:

1. I buy the Newsweek story, in spite of the denials by DN and satoshi at bitcointalk.
2. I think this -

- is, unfortunately, a large part of the reason why they refuse to believe it.

But hey, I'm OK being wrong. Gut says otherwise, though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zx9zj/arthur_nakamoto_my_brother_dorian_satoshi_nakamoto/

Still believe the Newsweak story? Leah Goodman should be fired for prodding into this guy's personal life and bringing him unwanted attention. She has zero evidence other than the one quote that says he was no longer involved. But, she won't post the exact question that was asked, and let's not forgot the guy went through a stroke which may have impaired his cognitive ability.

She said in some interview she spent two months "obsessively" researching this guy - I think she got too carried away and brainwashed herself into thinking he was the guy in hopes of publishing that breakout story.

It would be cool to have a currency system like bitcoin that works electronically and no middleman banks or Paypals, but what doesn't sit right with me is that it feels like a pyramid scheme in which all the people who got in at the beginning are rich and mined BCs for free or bought at $5 a coin and now they're trying to get everyone else in on it while it's sitting at $500 a coin or whatever.

Beant

It would be cool to have a currency system like bitcoin that works electronically and no middleman banks or Paypals, but what doesn't sit right with me is that it feels like a pyramid scheme in which all the people who got in at the beginning are rich and mined BCs for free or bought at $5 a coin and now they're trying to get everyone else in on it while it's sitting at $500 a coin or whatever.

Buying apple stock now rewards the people that got in the 90s in a similar way. I do understand your point though, it is unsettling how some early adopters own an absurd amount of the coins.

AlexMogil

gdp5zki.png

The mind boggles.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zx9zj/arthur_nakamoto_my_brother_dorian_satoshi_nakamoto/

Still believe the Newsweak story? Leah Goodman should be fired for prodding into this guy's personal life and bringing him unwanted attention. She has zero evidence other than the one quote that says he was no longer involved. But, she won't post the exact question that was asked, and let's not forgot the guy went through a stroke which may have impaired his cognitive ability.

She said in some interview she spent two months "obsessively" researching this guy - I think she got too carried away and brainwashed herself into thinking he was the guy in hopes of publishing that breakout story.
I admittedly haven't read too much into that newsweek story but no where in that post does Authur say he didn't invent bitcoin. Just anger at 'lies'

A more well reasoned argument against him would be more persuasive

Beant

o_O

Crush the iPhones of the oppressors.

That is not the real/most up to date context. The real context is from the iPhone app Fancy - "Fancy is the place to discover, collect and buy from a crowd-curated catalog of amazing goods, wonderful places and great stores."

From the app store update march 6th.

What's New in Version 3.3.0
We completely redesigned our iPad app from the ground up to match our latest iPhone update.

You'll find new features and interface improvements that make it easier than ever to discover and buy the things you love.

What's new:

- iPad app redesign
- Share products via WhatsApp (if app is installed)
- Weibo one-click sign-in
- Performance enhancements and bug fixes
- Removed Bitcoin per Apple's request

Thanks for your support! Drop us a line anytime at ios@fancy.com.

massoluk

Banned
That is not the real/most up to date context. The real context is from the iPhone app Fancy - "Fancy is the place to discover, collect and buy from a crowd-curated catalog of amazing goods, wonderful places and great stores."

From the app store update march 6th.

What's New in Version 3.3.0
We completely redesigned our iPad app from the ground up to match our latest iPhone update.

You'll find new features and interface improvements that make it easier than ever to discover and buy the things you love.

What's new:

- iPad app redesign
- Share products via WhatsApp (if app is installed)
- Weibo one-click sign-in
- Performance enhancements and bug fixes
- Removed Bitcoin per Apple's request

Thanks for your support! Drop us a line anytime at ios@fancy.com.

So? How does that change anything? Pockio whatever still removed Apple card on Bitcoin community urging. It's obvious regulation would be something Apple don't want to handle with their control over iap.

Blows my mind a bit that a site called ponzi coin is the only one trying to refund customers lol

This shit is unwriteable. No, really, if a scifi author had tried this a decade ago he wouldn't have been able to get away with it even as comedy. No one's suspension of disbelief would've held up this well.

Chichikov

This shit is unwriteable. No, really, if a scifi author had tried this a decade ago he wouldn't have been able to get away with it even as comedy. No one's suspension of disbelief would've held up this well.
"People are beginning to worry that a site called PonziCoin might be a scam".
That's an actual quote from a non comedy site.
The mind, it boggles.
It's like reality is ripping The Onion.

Makai

Are all of these sites actually getting hacked?

It's a Bitcoin thread so I might as well put on a tinfoil hat, myself.

You don't get it do you.... We knew that this was a ponzi and late investors would lose money. However we are shocked because the owner ran with our funds.
KuGsj.gif

I'm crying because I'm laughing so hard.

Dude . . . you ARE the late investor.

Makai

I want to start my own joke cryptocurrency, but if there was demand for PonziCoin, I'd probably end up in the slammer. Wait till it comes out that a congressman lost a fortune on Dogecoin.

This whole situation with this coin or that coin is fucking unbelievable.

This is the saddest thread on OT. These people should not be in charge of their own finances. This is the worst thing I've seen in years and just want to hope that people aren't this fucking gullible but here we are.

I can't laugh at these individuals. These are the most pitiful people.

Short answer is yes. I suppose time will tell.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

HyperionX

The more you think about it, the more likely Dorian Nakamoto is the real guy. He has absolutely no alibi against it, and his English is more than good enough to write everything we've read. Plus the fact that him and everyone in his family is so cagey about whether he really did or didn't create Bitcoin makes me think they're all trying to hide something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom