• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Free Play Weekend Starting Wednesday (PS4/PC, XB1 later)

Loudninja

What About Xbox One?

We haven't forgotten about all of you on Xbox One! We have an ESO Free Play Weekend in the works just for Xbox One players. Watch elderscrollsonline.com and Xbox Wire for details.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/e...so-free-play-weekend--playstation-4-and-pcmac

Between the first Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) Free Play Weekend on PS4, to the debut of dynamic 4K visuals on PS4 Pro — and the Trip of a Lifetime giveaway — there’s a lot to be excited about in The Elder Scrolls Online!

Whether you’re an existing part of The Elder Scrolls Online community on PS4 or are thinking about joining, here’s everything you need to know to get up to speed.
The Elder Scrolls Online Free Play Weekend

We’re thrilled to announce our very first Free Play Weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online on PS4. This is a great opportunity to jump into the giant world of ESO and try it for yourself. You’ll be able to begin downloading the game on PlayStation Network this Wednesday, November 16 starting at 12:01 AM Eastern in North America.
Simply navigate to The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited on PlayStation Store, download the game, and create your ESO account. PlayStation Plus is not required to participate in the ESO Free Play Weekend. If you’re downloading ESO for the first time, please be aware that Tamriel is a fully breathing online Elder Scrolls world and requires 73 GB of HDD space, so plan ahead!

Once ESO is installed and you’ve created your account, you can log-in and begin your adventure in Tamriel. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re playing ESO on a Free Play Weekend account:
  • You’ll have access to the full The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited base game, not including DLC game pack areas.
  • Upon account creation, you’ll get 500 crowns to spend in the Crown Store on fun costumes, unique pets, helpful scrolls, and more.
  • After the Free Play Weekend ends, you can continue right where you left off! Any characters you create, Crown Packs, or Crown Store items you purchase, as well as any progress you make during the Free Play Weekend, will carry over when you purchase the game

The Free Play Weekend will run until November 20 at 11:59 PM Eastern in North America. In celebration of the Free Play Weekend, Crown Packs and all versions of ESO are currently available at a discounted price. There’s never been an easier way to jump into ESO. Check PlayStation Store for details.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...-online-free-play-weekend-starting-wednesday/

tiva

Neo Member
i played the game for a while and all i can really say about it is that it was boring as hell. everything felt paper-thin and completely pointless. not to mention the combat was some of the worst i've ever seen

Speely

Banned
How solo-able is the game?

There is group-only content, but the majority of the game is solo-friendly. Main and guild quests have mostly solo-only content, actually. The zones are mostly soloable, with some group dungeons that are not, and some world bosses scattered around that sometimes require help (not always.)

Endgame is mostly group stuff, with the exception of Maelstrom Arena, which is a fun, tough series of solo arena fights.

Very. To the point where I sometimes ask myself why this game is an MMO in the first place.

I had a good time with TESO and leveled both a templar and dragon knight to level cap. The environments are very atmospheric and some of the quests can be interesting. Also the combat is more enjoyable than the single-player TES games.

However, most of the content can feel uninspired and after a while you will start to feel the grind. The game is also not an Elder Scrolls game in spirit. You will rarely be rewarded for exploration and the game is more about going from quest marker to quest marker.

black070

The UK blog post mentions the game being discounted too, yet nothing on the store yet. Will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

Aces&Eights

i played the game for a while and all i can really say about it is that it was boring as hell. everything felt paper-thin and completely pointless. not to mention the combat was some of the worst i've ever seen

This. Add to that you need to cough up a couple paychecks to get a horse that runs fast and I noped out after hitting about level 12.

I have a physical copy. I would consider going digital if they have a steep discount. I have liked what I played so far.

Dipper145

I've played my whole time solo, you run into people often enough when you go into public group stuff that it's never been an issue for me. Almost at max level..I think, the champion point stuff kind of confuses me as 160 seems to be some sort of cap but I see people at like 560 too, so I don't know. Currently level 50 and champion points 140 or so and have done everything solo.

Only started playing once One Tamriel was on, and it's been cool even though I've stuck to my faction area, and then once those were done went to one of the other areas to continue question. Been enjoying the variety of quests and things to do in the game so far.

After being really burned out on never winter ps4, I started playing ESO again. Made a new character, and I was surprised how active the low level zones were. Felt like launch week. Not sure how long it'll hold my attention though, I've only gotten to around level 40 before.

If there are any active GAF players, even knew ones trying it out, hit me up. Psn: jacob_armitage

I bought and only played a few hours, I am a "mage" and it is annoying how spells are just shooting out of your staff. I admit I am early so this might change, I think I will reinstall.

d9b

Banned
"If you’re downloading ESO for the first time, please be aware that Tamriel is a fully breathing online Elder Scrolls world and requires 73 GB of HDD space, so plan ahead!"

Teletraan1

Banned
My account keeps getting banned for this game. I don't do anything wrong. I have no idea why but a new problem has arisen for me. The email address that was tied to my account is an ISP address that I no longer have access to. Any idea how I would get this fixed up so I could play this again lol.

Does anyone know if the PC and PS4 populations are segregated on their own servers or not? Kinda want to try this on PS4, but anyone I know who would be interested would most likely be playing on PC. Also would be cool if I could switch from console to PC and back with the same account.

Oh, actually. Does the PC version have gamepad support? That would simplify things greatly.

Horns

So how does this work? Does the normal game become free to buy or is there another download in order to try this out?

This game is awesome. I really like what it does differently from the standard MMO. Love to steal everything not tied down, pickpocket people, and launder or fence it all and get rich.

Quests have actual choices to make. They don't usually have any real impact on the world at large, but it's kind of unprecedented in the MMO space. Turn people in for doing sketchy things or let them go free. Kill people or take mercy on them. Good for role playing.

And yeah it's eminently soloable, you never have to do dungeons if you don't want to.

zeox

Does anyone know if the PC and PS4 populations are segregated on their own servers or not? Kinda want to try this on PS4, but anyone I know who would be interested would most likely be playing on PC. Also would be cool if I could switch from console to PC and back with the same account.

Oh, actually. Does the PC version have gamepad support? That would simplify things greatly.

the servers are separate, and the PC version does indeed have gamepad support

LOL Just bought this two days ago after months of waiting for a free to play weekend. Thankfully I am completely in love with the game so I don't regret my purchase at all. Now if it goes on sale.....

As a sidenote. This is my favorite ESO game since Morrowind. I play it with a gamepad and love everything about it. The quests are awesome and fully voice acted, the world is beautiful and there is just a ton of content.

Raxious

How's the population nowadays? Got both a PC and PS4 account, though I never really got into the PS4 version.

One of the things that bothered me was that one of the trophies is basically impossible to get :(

How's the population nowadays? Got both a PC and PS4 account, though I never really got into the PS4 version.

One of the things that bothered me was that one of the trophies is basically impossible to get :(

Really heavily populated on PC, especially with One Tamriel. You will run into people constantly, everywhere you go. I've heard other platforms are good too.

For example if I want to do a public dungeon, which has bosses that tend to take at least 4 people to trivialize, I can just wait near the entrance and fall in step with any number of people coming or going every 5 minutes. Some of them don't clear every boss in the place...so I just wait near the boss I need and again, 5 minutes later somebody's along who needs to do it too.

You will see at least one other person in every delve (which are basically tiny dungeons that can be soloed). Often you'll see 4 or more people.

It's great. Except for zone chat in the wake of the election. :)

Abhor

LOL Just bought this two days ago after months of waiting for a free to play weekend. Thankfully I am completely in love with the game so I don't regret my purchase at all. Now if it goes on sale.....

As a sidenote. This is my favorite ESO game since Morrowind. I play it with a gamepad and love everything about it. The quests are awesome and fully voice acted, the world is beautiful and there is just a ton of content.

It's going on sale with the free weekend for all versions of the game according to their official announcement. Glad to hear you're enjoying it; we have been waiting for a sale to jump into it together here.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'll get the game when the discount hits, been humming and harring about it for a while. Had it on PS4 and XB1 so far before I sold them

Really heavily populated on PC, especially with One Tamriel. You will run into people constantly, everywhere you go. I've heard other platforms are good too.

For example if I want to do a public dungeon, which has bosses that tend to take at least 4 people to trivialize, I can just wait near the entrance and fall in step with any number of people coming or going every 5 minutes. Some of them don't clear every boss in the place...so I just wait near the boss I need and again, 5 minutes later somebody's along who needs to do it too.

You will see at least one other person in every delve (which are basically tiny dungeons that can be soloed). Often you'll see 4 or more people.

It's great. Except for zone chat in the wake of the election. :)
Pleased it's populated on PC :)

Top Bottom