• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Free Play Weekend Starting Wednesday (PS4/PC, XB1 later)

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'm in. Let's try this. I haven't touched a MMO in ages.

SamNW

Not understanding this—the game is currently $10 in the PS Store, but I'm not seeing a free download option? Does it just mean the demo?

tariniel

Nice plan on giving this a try this weekend on PC. Is this better played with M+KB or a controller? What's a good starting class for a beginner?

30 dollars isn't bad at all. Especially with my 15 dollar credit. Will try the demo and see if I take the plunge.

Are the gold coins/crowns really important? Cause the Premium Edition is 60 but...

Philtastic

I bought the gold edition about 2 months ago when it was on Steam sale for CDN $50. I have about 50 hours in the game and haven't even touched the DLC content yet. Heck, I've just finished the first zone outside of the tutorial and I'm still interested in the game's quests which are generally more fleshed out than your typical kill x or find x. At the very least, the quests have interesting things happen even if they're those kinds of quests. Even if you don't get the DLC, there's tons of content.

The most noob-friendly class is probably the Templar because they're the only class with a dedicated healing tree whose skills you can use at any time whereas other classes generally need to wield a healing staff to have any consistent heals. I'm currently playing a level 22 Templar in heavy armour and wielding a 2-handed sword that focusses on ranged magic and healing with sword skills as a high burst stamina dump when enemies enter melee range: basically, a paladin that's very tanky but still has decent single-target damage. If you wanted to, you could go Templar in light armour with a destruction staff and go full on magic user. You could also make a sneaky Templar dual-wielding daggers who brings more utility than a Nightblade. So far, it seems like a great and versatile system that I hope future Elder Scrolls games adopt (at the very least, have more active abilities that you unlock by leveling skills).

Speely

Banned
Thank you.

If you want to raise your armor crafting skills, keep all your drops and deconstruct them instead of selling them to merchants, too. They sell for jack shit, but boosting your crafting skills is very worthwhile, and stacks of the materials themselves are good trade items, even low level ones.

Edit: and always be researching a trait (can be done at a crafting station.) Once you know enough traits for armor pieces and weapon types, you can craft yourself sets, which is a godsend.

By Azura! I look good...So I bought this Monday and I just hit 40 hours...I gotta say this is already my favorite Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind by FAR. Running around Stonefalls is just filling me with so much nostalgia. This game is amazing and I can't believe I avoided it for so long.
36C816F6EF5EDB40C32BCEB201C2BAF36E9CBC4C

Speely

Banned
By Azura! I look good...So I bought this Monday and I just hit 40 hours...I gotta say this is already my favorite Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind by FAR. Running around Stonefalls is just filling me with so much nostalgia. This game is amazing and I can't believe I avoided it for so long.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games, and I agree. Glad you are liking it!

Edit: ESO suffered from a shaky launch and some growing pains afterwards. There were some real issues early on. That said, the devs have worked on it way more than I thought they would. Constant fixes and balance updates, with a very regular content update schedule. It's really a very good game, and actually sort of perplexing given that it's a Zenimax game.

BTails

Bought the Gold edition! Great deal for a ton of content... About 5 hours of downloading and I'm halfway done. Can't wait to play it tomorrow!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sale is live US:

$30 for the Gold edition (comes with all 4 DLC and some in-game stuff)
$10 for the regular edition

What's the DLC? I thought the expansions were free?

$10 for a non-sub MMO isn't anything to sneeze at. Especially since I enjoyed the last free weekend they did.

Wait so there is an optional subscription service? How much of a difference does it make? Cause I just want to get the Gold and edition and play for free.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Whats the point of weapons having skills attached if you only have 5 slots to use anyway?

It made sense in GW2 because there you have slots for your weapon skills and slots for your class skills, but here its just a universal 5 slots so why would you use the weapon skills over your class skills?

That bothered me in the short time I played the beta and its bothering me now :/

Wait so there is an optional subscription service? How much of a difference does it make? Cause I just want to get the Gold and edition and play for free.

The sub gives you the dlc for free as long as you are subbed, xp bonuses and 1500 crowns every month to use on the store.

What's the DLC? I thought the expansions were free?

$10 for a non-sub MMO isn't anything to sneeze at. Especially since I enjoyed the last free weekend they did.

The expansions are free for subs. Why would they be free for everyone :p

Kalentan

Liking the PS4 version and thinking of getting the $30 edition.
The only thing is that I don't feel like the Pro version does all that much at 1080p? Me and my friend both took screenshots but the differences were minimal even with his worse quality screenshot.

Liking the PS4 version and thinking of getting the $30 edition.
The only thing is that I don't feel like the Pro version does all that much at 1080p? Me and my friend both took screenshots but the differences were minimal even with his worse quality screenshot.

When you go to display settings in options, are you given an option to choose 4k or enhanced 1080?

How may gigs/gb is this on PS4? On Steam it says it's like 85gb but on the PSN Store it says it's like 37 gb. Is that just a typo on the Sony store? On the one hand I'd like to play in 4K on a PS4 Pro once I get one, but that won't be for awhile and my current launch PS4 is storage space starved. I have plenty of space on my PC though.

No, just the UI Safe Space and Brightness.

I'm thinking there's a bug with the demo version because it seems (if someone who owns can confirm) were supposed to see options to select 4K or enhanced. I think the trial thinks a Pro is an OG and runs it as such

Speely

Banned
Whats the point of weapons having skills attached if you only have 5 slots to use anyway?

Weapon Skills are potentially just as useful as are class skills. The five (six, including your Ult) slot limitation is a sort of a deck-building mechanic. Just a way to let players learn everything but still have to make choices in regard to what they want to do.

Weapon skills can offer some things that class skills don't. For example, if I want burst damage with CC as a Sorcerer who has invested fully into Stamina (as opposed to Magicka) then I can use a two-handed weapon and invest into "Two Handed" and gain some utility my class did not provide.

It's a pretty good system. Not perfect by any means, but pretty damn good.

It made sense in GW2 because there you have slots for your weapon skills and slots for your class skills, but here its just a universal 5 slots so why would you use the weapon skills over your class skills?

Weapon Skills are potentially just as useful as are class skills. The five (six, including your Ult) slot limitation is a sort of a deck-building mechanic. Just a way to let players learn everything but still have to make choices in regard to what they want to do.

Weapon skills can offer some things that class skills don't. For example, if I want burst damage with CC as a Sorcerer who has invested fully into Stamina (as opposed to Magicka) then I can use a two-handed weapon and invest into "Two Handed" and gain some utility my class did not provide.

It's a pretty good system. Not perfect by any means, but pretty damn good.

Also worth noting that at level 15 you unlock your second weapon slot. You can change weapon in combat at any time, and it comes with a whole new 5-slot bar, so like GW2 you technically have 10 slots total (+2 ult slots) after level 15. You're just free to mix and match class and weapon skills however you like.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I am not seeing the Pro video options anywhere in the menus. Weird.

Toggle exists in the video settings for me. Choose between 4K and Enhanced 1080p. Framerate seems about the same for both and though I barely tested each, but definitely felt clarity and IQ improved with 4K while I felt there was slightly more effectwork going on in 1080p. But again, this is just toggling back and forth now and again and trying to eyeball, so not a very accurate or scientific way of measuring. I am sticking with 4K pretty much.

Performance is great though, feels quite a bit smoother than Skyrim SE in 4K, though environment detail, weather effects, and texturing isn't as strong as in Skyrim. Kind of enjoying the game design so far, though it comes across as feeling more gamey than the more immersive Skyrim.

May just splurge for the $10 sale price just to own. Not sure I will stick with this for now as I have too many other games on my plate making me weary to go for the DLC bundle.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How may gigs/gb is this on PS4? On Steam it says it's like 85gb but on the PSN Store it says it's like 37 gb. Is that just a typo on the Sony store? On the one hand I'd like to play in 4K on a PS4 Pro once I get one, but that won't be for awhile and my current launch PS4 is storage space starved. I have plenty of space on my PC though.

Takes up just under 80gb on PS4 for me.

Grimsen

I played the game for a few minutes. The combat feels worse than Skyrim, and seeing other players jumping around like morons, in typical MMO fashion, isn't helping.

Nope, not for me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Keep getting "connection to the server timed out" on PC

EDIT: Fixed. Is a controller not supported?

Help me GAF. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, nor have I played an MMO. After clocking in a few hours last night, I was very impressed with this game so far and I'm considering picking it up now while it's still on sale. Should I buy the base game for now or should I opt for the Gold Edition?

Top Bottom