• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Free Play Weekend Starting Wednesday (PS4/PC, XB1 later)

black070

Help me GAF. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, nor have I played an MMO. After clocking in a few hours last night, I was very impressed with this game so far and I'm considering picking it up now while it's still on sale. Should I buy the base game for now or should I opt for the Gold Edition?

Never been into MMO's, yet still got really into this along with a couple of my casual gaming friends, if you've given it a go and are enjoying it I'd say the Gold Edition is an inexpensive investment. The game isn't dying out anytime soon and will continue updating and expanding so it doesn't really matter if you won't be solely sticking with it. I tend to jump on it spariodically myself and it's always a blast, it's very solo friendly which is its biggest strength.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Tried this on PS4 last night. Actually quite impressed. Hadn't tried since PC beta and the game has come a long way.

I own this on PS4 as I bought the physical version last year, but I never really played much of it. Basically just the first hour or two. Thinking of picking up the PC version through Steam since it's on sale for under $10 and I recently bought a laptop with a 1070 in it.

Jetman

They need to really fix the grouping/dungeon que'ing function in the game for PS4. Havent been able to find or get into a group in a while.

Mcdohl

So...

I just downloaded and installed on Steam but I can't log in.

efo2J6G.jpg

Is the login server down or something? :(

Edit: It suddenly started working :)

A few questions guys...

1. I unlocked Cleave skill but I am unable to use. I believe I do have enough Stamina. Does anyone know why?

2. Can I change my character voice? I chose a shitty one :(

blakep267

Not sure if the deal is still out there, but I was able to pick up a used copy from redbox for $6, 2 months or so back. Maybe others will be lucky too

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
16 hours and a character high enough to finally grasp the game (lvl 10 now) and yeah this is pretty good. Went ahead and bought the gold edition.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hmm..created an archer character, can't find a bow. I left the tutorial and running around starter land and I see a bunch of lowbies wielding bows.

Where is my bow?? All I have is this lame 2h Greatsword for my roguish archer to use. What did I miss?

Started the download on my PS4 at 4:30. It's now 11:20 and it's almost done. PSN download speeds.. wtf
I have to monitor the download speed of this thing. It goes from 40 MB to 500 kbps and stays there with no reason. Fucking PSN, man. I want to try this as I'm a huge TES fan, but this is too much.

Aeana

Hmm..created an archer character, can't find a bow. I left the tutorial and running around starter land and I see a bunch of lowbies wielding bows.

Where is my bow?? All I have is this lame 2h Greatsword for my roguish archer to use. What did I miss?
Look around in the cave and you'll find one. They're kind of randomly placed on the ground and stuff. Enemies also can drop starter weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

The urn that you get from the tutorial quest (that you have in your inventory on any character also if you skip the tutorial after the first time) has a bow inside, along with a chest piece and 5 lockpicks.

So the thing that bothered me the most about the game before, the class system (as I complained the other day), has become my favorite thing about it.

Once I wrapped my head around the fact that this isnt the traditional way of doing classes, that the knight doesnt have to be the melee tank or the sorceror the magic ranged guy, I really fell in love with doing bizarre mixes of classes.

Right now im using a sorceror that I turned into kind of a wow style hunter, with a focus on bow and pets, I have another sorceror who is a 2hander weilding melee lightning guy and a nightblade tank who can teleport and steal life from enemies (you would assume traditionally nightblades would be the rogues since they can stealth). Its super fun to come up with your own specs and tactics.

Unfortunately its not all a bed of roses, as im starting to feel / think the game is very grindy. XP / level gains slow down A LOT after level 10, as do weapon and skill progression. Thats fine if you are focusing on one character I guess but when im enjoying multiple ones I can see it being a issue.

For now tho super fun :)

Surfheart

Like a few others have reported in the thread, I don't have any PS4 pro options in he game settings?

Is it not enabled in the demo?

The urn that you get from the tutorial quest (that you have in your inventory on any character also if you skip the tutorial after the first time) has a bow inside, along with a chest piece and 5 lockpicks.

So the thing that bothered me the most about the game before, the class system (as I complained the other day), has become my favorite thing about it.

Once I wrapped my head around the fact that this isnt the traditional way of doing classes, that the knight doesnt have to be the melee tank or the sorceror the magic ranged guy, I really fell in love with doing bizarre mixes of classes.

Right now im using a sorceror that I turned into kind of a wow style hunter, with a focus on bow and pets, I have another sorceror who is a 2hander weilding melee lightning guy and a nightblade tank who can teleport and steal life from enemies (you would assume traditionally nightblades would be the rogues since they can stealth). Its super fun to come up with your own specs and tactics.

Unfortunately its not all a bed of roses, as im starting to feel / think the game is very grindy. XP / level gains slow down A LOT after level 10, as do weapon and skill progression. Thats fine if you are focusing on one character I guess but when im enjoying multiple ones I can see it being a issue.

For now tho super fun :)
Yeah, it's love/hate for me as well. Love the class and skill system, but hate that melee attacks are absolutely useless, and power attacks feel pathetically weak and a waste of time. Killing a wolf would take dozens of attacks without using skills and spells, so it feels like a generic spongy MMO instead of a TES game in combat. Luckily that improves after the early game when you have loads of skills to use, but for early game play when new players want to play it like a TES game, it can feel awful.

Surfheart

I just paid for the full game but no PS4 pro options are showing up. To the people that aren't seeing the options are you in EU/AUS?

EDarkness

Been trying to reinstall this on my Mac, but the damn thing won't really install in the background. Been minimized on the dock for a while and hasn't moved much at all. I have to keep the launcher selected or the download speeds drop to nothing. Maybe I'll get to play later today...maybe.

EDarkness

I finally got the game installed, but when I try to log in it says my info isn't right or my account is inactive. When I log into the actual ESO website it shows that my account is Active - Trial. Anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be able to log in?

Remmy2112

When does this actually end on PC, as there's conflicting stuff?. Press release says it ends at 11:59 EST today, November 20th. Steam however says it ends in 16 hours from the current time of 8:10 EST.

Have a couple of questions related to accounts on the PS4. Thinking about getting this for me and my sons--probably going to buy the gold edition on all three of our accounts. I know the base game can be shared, but we have two PS4s and the DLC is account-bound, so I'm handling this like we did with The Crew: Wild Run (three separate purchases).

Anyway, I'm concerned with the ESO account setup and PS+ requirement. My sons are in middle and high school. Both have gmail accounts.

1. Will we have an issue since both are under 18? I don't think they've had issues playing online with M rated games (at least my older one). Can I assume there won't be an issue here with creating ESO accounts? Does it ask your age or birthdate?

2. Of the three of us, only I have PS+. My wife has PS+ for the other PS4. Can I assume that the PS+ requirement is by activated PS4--like any other game--and not the individual PS account?

Sorry for all of the questions, but it was too late to download the PS4 free-weekend/demo version earlier this evening. So I'm flying blind here and about to spend $90, so I want to be sure that we can all play it. Thanks!

Have a couple of questions related to accounts on the PS4. Thinking about getting this for me and my sons--probably going to buy the gold edition on all three of our accounts. I know the base game can be shared, but we have two PS4s and the DLC is account-bound, so I'm handling this like we did with The Crew: Wild Run (three separate purchases).

Anyway, I'm concerned with the ESO account setup and PS+ requirement. My sons are in middle and high school. Both have gmail accounts.

1. Will we have an issue since both are under 18? I don't think they've had issues playing online with M rated games (at least my older one). Can I assume there won't be an issue here with creating ESO accounts? Does it ask your age or birthdate?

2. Of the three of us, only I have PS+. My wife has PS+ for the other PS4. Can I assume that the PS+ requirement is by activated PS4--like any other game--and not the individual PS account?

Sorry for all of the questions, but it was too late to download the PS4 free-weekend/demo version earlier this evening. So I'm flying blind here and about to spend $90, so I want to be sure that we can all play it. Thanks!

I don't believe there will be any issues setting up ESO accounts, maybe try that first at the website before making the purchase?

Yes just PS+ on a primary account on the PS4 is required for any account to use online.

justjim89

What's the cheapest way to get all the DLC? I hate that they don't just have a price tag on them and I gotta look at this Crown store bullshit.

The game really doesn't open up until level 15 when you get weapon swapping.

Having recently started a 2nd character I can confirm that you feel gimped w/o the 2nd weapon set. I'm almost to level 15 and can't wait to get my 2nd loadout back.

They really should open up the 2nd weapon option soon. If not level 5, at least by level 10.

selfnoise

If I'm on PC and there's no way I'll play enough to hit the level cap (this shall be a brief fling) is there any reason to get gold edition vs standard? I'm playing a bow wielding night blade if that's relevant.

My MMO trend of starting a rogue class then realizing 100 hours in I suck at them and need to be tanky continues. Goodbye NB hello DK. I have already put in 100 hours since Last Sunday. This game is a treat.

^ Just don't let it cut into your Rocket League time. :p

That's the main reason I haven't gotten this or Overwatch until now. Likely getting this but now I'm thinking of Overwatch, too. Someone stop me! I need to see if I can finally get up to Rising Star in Standard before the season ends in RL.

I've been playing the game for some time now, but when my friends started up the Free Weekend and enjoyed it, I started a new character to play with them. I'm glad I had the Adventurer's Pack, as I really don't like any of the Aldmeri Dominion races.

Also, I was stoked to see that my mount and pets carry over! My first character is built on crafting and trading, so I'm easily able to go in and craft my new person some armor and weapons, then leave them in the guild bank to pick up when I need it.

Good stuff! I really do enjoy this game, though. Also, I'm playing on a Pro and I didn't know there were any visual options to choose from. The game looks super clean, so I'm assuming it's running in 4K mode. I'll have to look for these tonight.

^ Just don't let it cut into your Rocket League time. :p

That's the main reason I haven't gotten this or Overwatch until now. Likely getting this but now I'm thinking of Overwatch, too. Someone stop me! I need to see if I can finally get up to Rising Star in Standard before the season ends in RL.

I actually needed something other than Rocket league and though i am crazy addicted right now I'm sure it will subside and I will have two games to play often instead of one lol. Overwatch kept me busy for about two weeks then I moved on.

For those who have played on both console and pc...which platform do you reccomend?
PC gets patches first as well as add ons for UI mods and such. If it's the controller you are thinking about the PC version has great pad support. That's what I play on.

Top Bottom