• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wwm0nkey said:
Dude you can make the game look almost like oblivion with a few graphical tweaks out there.

69814343.jpg

dude thanks man! i did some digging and i found that there's some unofficial patch you can/should install, plus another one on top of that. the link you gave me only mentions the latter though. hopefully i can install both, as i'd like it to be as short on bugs as possible.

my netbook is going to be a fierce "old games i've never played, or am quite fond of" machine.

HK-47 said:
On current gen consoles? lololol

It makes you wonder if the two games could (?) be two different entities. The PC version will undoubtedly be a beast with the appropriate hardware/mods, but the console versions are going to be hit HARD when it releases.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GavinGT said:
Which would you guys rather have - Oblivion's insane draw distance or towns that don't require loading screens?

I'd prefer consoles without ridiculous RAM restrictions.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
disappeared said:
It makes you wonder if the two games could (?) be two different entities. The PC version will undoubtedly be a beast with the appropriate hardware/mods, but the console versions are going to be hit HARD when it releases.

Well now that we got the new engine, you have to start wonder if the mod tools will even be there. We could end up with nothing but a prettier vanilla game and the ability to tweak some ini values.

GavinGT said:
Which would you guys rather have - Oblivion's insane draw distance or towns that don't require loading screens?

Red Dead Redemption - a console game - did both, with incredible visuals to boot.

HK-47 said:
Well now that we got the new engine, you have to start wonder if the mod tools will even be there. We could end up with nothing but a prettier vanilla game and the ability to tweak some ini values.

Ah the good old days! I have a lot of faith in Bethesda releasing their dev kit. It's been their practice since Morrowind at least.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
IDTech 5 can't do dynamic lighting? So they had the best lighting in IDTech 4 and now they've probably the worst in IDTech 5? Any specific reason as to why they could not add dynamic in 5?

Brannon

Please for the love of GOD make the lockpicking harder than Oblivion's. I would open the hardest locks in the game at level ONE, using the only lockpick I bothered to find.

Ceebs

HK-47 said:
You would think they know the mod tools/promise of mods are a big reason why their games sell well on PC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ceebs said:
You would think they know the mod tools/promise of mods are a big reason why their games sell well on PC.
And probably the main selling point in japan :lol

GavinGT

Banned
kittoo said:
IDTech 5 can't do dynamic lighting? So they had the best lighting in IDTech 4 and now they've probably the worst in IDTech 5? Any specific reason as to why they could not add dynamic in 5?

The weird, pre-baked textures thing, probably.

Ceebs

disappeared said:
What the fuck Morrowind is still $20 on Steam!? Why'd I have to lose my disc copy:(
It will probably be cheaper during the Steam Sale when they put New Vegas and the Bethesda Collection on sale.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Maaseru said:
So anything else I need or you recommend to make Morrowind better looking. I'm gonna try out the patches and stuff on the link, but is there any more anyone uses that are better/different?

Your avatar is going to give me nightmares. :lol

Ceebs

Night_Trekker said:
Those Morrowind mods are incredible. Is there a mod to make the combat... uh, not suck? :lol
There are tons of combat mods but I have no clue which ones are good.

So, is the Shivering Isles lore canon?

Because otherwise... who will Sheogorath's quest be for? The hero of Cyrodiil is either dead or very old. And besides, who is the real hero of Cyrodiil? An Imperial? Will Haskill (who may be immortal) take up the challenge and give Sheogorath quests?

Will Skyrim even have Daedric Prince quests?

balladofwindfishes said:
So, is the Shivering Isles lore canon?

Because otherwise... who will Sheogorath's quest be for? The hero of Cyrodiil is either dead or very old. And besides, who is the real hero of Cyrodiil? An Imperial? Will Haskill (who may be immortal) take up the challenge and give Sheogorath quests?

Will Skyrim even have Daedric Prince quests?

I'd guess the Hero of Cyrodil will be giving the quests... I hope its canon since I enjoyed the story so much.

Ceebs

balladofwindfishes said:
I heard you can't mod the Steam version of Morrowind, or that it's very complicated. Is this true?
From the link a few posts up

Quote:
Attention Steam-Users!
In order to get MGE and mods working you have to:

- disable Steam-Community ingame; found under settings.
- redate morrowind.bsa, tribunal.bsa and bloodmoon.bsa with file-date-changer. 1/1/2002 for all three files on created, modified and accessed worked for me.
- start Morrowind, play until you can save and do so.
- apply the Morrowindcodepatch; I activated everything and patched it.
- configure MGE like in the tutorial
- Don't start Morrowind via steamlauncher, start the new, patched morrowind.exe as administrator (again, Win7)

HK-47 said:
It goes on sale regularly. Itll probably drop for Christmas.

Beautiful.

What does MGE entail, specifically? I was also interested in some of the NPC model enhancement mods. Hope steam supports those.

Ceebs

disappeared said:
Beautiful.

What does MGE entail, specifically? I was also interested in some of the NPC model enhancement mods. Hope steam supports those.
MGE is what is used to enable or fake the more modern effects I believe.

Ceebs said:
MGE is what is used to enable or fake the more modern effects I believe.

I suppose even without it, I'll still play it. Well, probably I'd find that Cliff-Racers nuke mod.

It's been five years since I last touched Morrowind. Man, I can't wait.

kittoo said:

They can absolutely do it. They had older builds running with it in there. They chose to go precomputed lighting in order to hit 60fps in Rage. You can bet the next Doom will have dynamic lighting.

TESV won't use Tech 5 though for simple data storage reasons. Imagine a single texture map the size of oblivion's overworld. Now try and imagine fitting it onto a disk.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Good suggestions made about fast travel. As it is now I want it removed completely. Bring back a logical way to fast travel from major cities, or don't have it at all. I didn't use it during one of my Oblivion playthroughs and it was fun, but the game reeeally wasn't designed to be played that way.

Also get rid of the compass too. I don't want an arrow pointing me everywhere. Although you could usually get around this by not selecting an active quest.

I'm also fully backing the idea of a hardcore mode like Fallout New Vegas.

Zoso said:
Good suggestions made about fast travel. As it is now I want it removed completely. Bring back a logical way to fast travel from major cities, or don't have it at all. I didn't use it during one of my Oblivion playthroughs and it was fun, but the game reeeally wasn't designed to be played that way.

Also get rid of the compass too. I don't want an arrow pointing me everywhere. Although you could usually get around this by not selecting an active quest.

I'm also fully backing the idea of a hardcore mode like Fallout New Vegas.
Fallout 3 Wanderers Edition does fast travel the best imo. You get a motorbike you can fast travel with but you need to keep it fueled up and repaired so you only use it when it's completely necessary.

Wait a new engine! Saints be praised!!
Excitement reignited. What was up with the thread title earlier was that just mod speculation on gamesbyro?

Clevinger

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wait a new engine! Saints be praised!!
Excitement reignited. What was up with the thread title earlier was that just mod speculation on gamesbyro?

Because a while ago a developer said they were still using Gamebryo and they've since clarified that they've redone pretty much the whole engine.

Clevinger said:
Because a while ago a developer said they were still using Gamebryo and they've since clarified that they've redone pretty much the whole engine.
hehe 'a developer', not todd howard executive producer on everything bethesda and projectlead on es 3 and 4, but some random developer guy.

I'm glad it's gonna look pretty but there's a disconnect for me in the first person fighting, I hope the find a way to make that more immersive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom