• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One of my favorite aspects of Morrowind was finding some dark cave that you should just not be in... somehow getting past the enemies and finding a piece of loot that you should just not have... then somehow stealing it without being noticed... making it out of the cave against all odds... then storing your amazing prize in a special place in your lair until you're actually able to use it.

That was one of my favorite aspects... having things you shouldn't. Never knowing what's coming as you open a mysterious door. Being able to sneak into some rich plantation owner's house just knowing there would be some kind of reward for your effort.

This is completely missing from Oblivion and I despise the game because of it. Bad enough they took a unique world and traded it for generic D&D stuff... but they killed the exploration and discovery. (imo)

This, coming from someone who's played hundreds of hours of Morrowind.

Enco

recklessmind said:
One of my favorite aspects of Morrowind was finding some dark cave that you should just not be in... somehow getting past the enemies and finding a piece of loot that you should just not have... then somehow stealing it without being noticed... making it out of the cave against all odds... then storing your amazing prize in a special place in your lair until you're actually able to use it.

That was one of my favorite aspects... having things you shouldn't. Never knowing what's coming as you open a mysterious door. Being able to sneak into some rich plantation owner's house just knowing there would be some kind of reward for your effort.

This is completely missing from Oblivion and I despise the game because of it. Bad enough they took a unique world and traded it for generic D&D stuff... but they killed the exploration and discovery. (imo)

This, coming from someone whose played hundreds of hours of Morrowind.
disappeared said:
Also, telepathic guards need the axe.
Totally agree.

I loved all the small adventures you could go on in Oblivion (played it more than Morrowind). I absolutely loved the quest where you went into the cave to watch the ritual (part of the main quest I think). It was so difficult for me yet was so amazing. Everything about Oblivion was great. I truly felt as part of the world. I remember trying to become the guild champion. Everyday I would come home and work on it a bit :lol

recklessmind said:

This, coming from someone whose played hundreds of hours of Morrowind.
100% agree.

I'm just really hoping for better voice acting. I mean why do most Bioware games have such better voice acting overall and Bethesda games despite having people with talent (and I just don't mean the obligatory celeb) are just generally drab and overused? I mean something is wrong when the most enjoyable Fallout character to listen to was a robot shouting Anti-Communist Propaganda. I mean compare that to the (admitted limited) v/o in 1 and 2.

Then again some of my issues with Bethesda games are that they all feel generic, due to the size of scale. ME1 had the same issue with the side missions, but remedied it with less, but more focused side missions in ME2. Then again I don't think Bethesda would feel comfortable scaling down one of the games (not counting Daggerfall to Morrowind).

Still the most important thing are the dev tools for the fans. I have to wonder if the Elder Scrolls 3 and 4 would have the same lifespan or regard without them. Really releasing those tools are always one of the Bethsda's best ideas in terms of community realtions.

Dan Yo

Banned
The three things I disliked about Oblivion were the level scaling enemies, the difficulty slider that could be changed at any point mid-game, and I felt the fast travel should be limited to certain transportation spots in town, kind of like the horse and carriages in red dead redemption or the bug fliers in Morrowind.

The first two are the main ones I hope don't make it into Skyrim.

Despera

Banned
Waiting for some "spectacular" in-game screen shots, and eventually some in-game footage. Gotta see that new engine in action.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Despera said:
Waiting for some "spectacular" in-game screen shots, and eventually some in-game footage. Gotta see that new engine in action.
I don't think we're going to see this until the next Game Informer.

GhaleonEB

Nirolak said:
I don't think we're going to see this until the next Game Informer.
Heh. I had the same thought the moment I watched the announcement trailer. "Can't wait to see it in Game Informer."

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I hope they take the lockpicking from FO3 and maybe make it a tad harder. Also some real sneak mechanics coupled with an ability to silence people. I love to steal, i am a thief in most rpgs i play, cups, books, forks, if you dont nail it down im taking it and selling it and buying myself new shit to kill you with. HOWEVER when i so much as misstime one fucking thing guards from the other side of oblivion already know, tried and charged me and well that just wont do.

-PXG-

EviLore said:
Fast travel, as it is implemented in Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV, needs to be done away with. There are serious repercussions to the design of the game world when it's present. Trivial fetch quests send you 100 miles because the designers know you only need to traverse the game world once and afterwards it's all instant.

Allow you to fast travel between hub locations, sure. Between hundreds of random points in the wilderness, no thanks.

Fucking this.

Fast travel, in some ways, ruined Oblivion for me. Sure, you weren't forced to use it, but it was there and way too convenient. What began as something I used only for long quests, quickly became a bad habit. I started using it all the time, no matter where my next objective was. Basically, by using it, you wouldn't have to traverse half the world to get to your specific location. Because of that, you lose all of that potential exploration and new areas, quests, characters and items you would have discovered on the way.

freddy

Banned
I used to get excited when I saw a game with dragons in it. Oh well I hope the team is playing through the first 3 games to see what went wrong in the 4th. Maybe they think nothing went wrong.

Unicorn

recklessmind said:

This!

Fredescu said:
New engine now? I'm an eternal pessimist, but I get the feeling that this means no modding utilities.

I don't know know, Bethsda has a pretty good history of releasing dev tools, if only because they know how important fan patches and mods are.

Danielsan

recklessmind said:

Quoted again because it's ever so true.

Ceebs

Mr Cola said:
I hope they take the lockpicking from FO3 and maybe make it a tad harder. Also some real sneak mechanics coupled with an ability to silence people. I love to steal, i am a thief in most rpgs i play, cups, books, forks, if you dont nail it down im taking it and selling it and buying myself new shit to kill you with. HOWEVER when i so much as misstime one fucking thing guards from the other side of oblivion already know, tried and charged me and well that just wont do.
They should steal the Two Worlds 2 lockpicking system. It's actually kind of fun.

-PXG-

New engine?

mario-winans-birthday-party-pop-bottles-big.jpg

Lets pop some bottles folks.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
That team has been working hard in Rockville, MD I would know because I live next to the studio and I see them all the time with there shirts on and I ask them how are things going and they said "You ain't see nothing yet."

Despera

Banned
AnnSwag said:
That team has been working hard in Rockville, MD I would know because I live next to the studio and I see them all the time with there shirts on and I ask them how are things going and they said "You ain't seen nothing yet."
AnnSwag, I think it's time for a sneaking mission.

-PXG-

AnnSwag said:
That team has been working hard in Rockville, MD I would know because I live next to the studio and I see them all the time with there shirts on and I ask them how are things going and they said "You ain't see nothing yet."

You know what to do...

Clevinger

Don't know if this was posted. It was from a radio interview with Howard probably a year ago, but it bodes well for the animation:

We've been doing that with the big new game we're doing since we finished Fallout 3. We finished Fallout 3 about a year ago -- that whole time has been spent redoing large parts of our basic technology. And things that everybody points out in our games that are deficiencies, or aren't as good as they could be, are the same as we have -- that we want to address. And the big one being our animation system. So we feel we can do pretty good worlds, probably what we're best at. But when it comes to how characters actually act on the screen in front of you, we should be doing a lot better. That's been one of our main focuses.

Dresden

AnnSwag said:
offer a blowjob for info

take one for the team.

Fitz

celcius said:
Day 1 purchase, I just hope my overclocked gtx 480 will be able to handle it...

Well it's going to have to run on current gen consoles I guess, so you should no problem maxing it. That is unless they add a whole bunch of DX11 effects.

r1chard

I'm excited. I really don't care what engine it uses - plenty of mods improving the graphics and other aspects of the game suggest that the engine was plenty flexible enough. I also didn't mind the original gameplay (level scaling) or the fast travel (seriously people, do you not have the willpower not to use it??)

Day 1. Unless it happens to also release on UC3 day 1 as planned. In which case I might have to wait a week :)

Clevinger

ZombieSupaStar said:
new engine?

good news: will look better, hopefully play better

bad news: probably goodbye mods.

I would guess they made the engine with mods in mind. It's a big reason of all their games PC versions' success and attention, so I don't know why they'd stop now.

Clevinger said:
I would guess they made the engine with mods in mind. It's a big reason of all their games PC versions' success and attention, so I don't know why they'd stop now.

dude pc gamers dont matter, we are just a small injection of profit by them hitting the compile pc binary switch on the 360 sdk.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Fredescu

celcius said:
Day 1 purchase, I just hope my overclocked gtx 480 will be able to handle it...
This thing has to run on the 360. Your 480 is going to yawn and ask when the high quality texture pack is coming out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
recklessmind said:

This is everyone's favorite aspect!

I hope they change the combat a bit.

I really enjoyed the first person sword fighting in Oblivion but it would be great if they had new moves where you could finish an enemy by sticking your sword through him and then kicking him to the ground

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TheVampire said:
I hope they change the combat a bit.

I really enjoyed the first person sword fighting in Oblivion but it would be great if they had new moves where you could finish an enemy by sticking your sword through him and then kicking him to the ground

And have his balls as a trophy or an alchemical component.

MrBig

Fianlly convinced myself to get shivering isles and am playing through it now :D
New engine info is fantastic.

lastplayed said:
Good move. SI is one of the highlights of Oblivion.

felt like a true, old fashioned expansion pack. a real add-on. loved it.

i think i'll finally put some significant time into Morrowind. what to install afterward? any OOO type thing that's needed? texture packs etc.? what are the essentials for a clean install?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Clevinger said:
Don't know if this was posted. It was from a radio interview with Howard probably a year ago, but it bodes well for the animation:

That really is encouraging to hear... I'm cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom