• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Skyrim is pretty small compared to Cyrodiil. Maybe it will be very intensely detailed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snuggler said:
uCVJB.jpg

Skyrim Wiki entry

I guess this will do for Nords what Morrowind did for Dark Elves.

I didn't really catch what the dude was saying in the trailer, so I could be wrong, but it could be a prequel set in the very early days of Tamriel.
It sounded like it was post oblivion....

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
Skyrim is pretty small compared to Cyrodiil. Maybe it will be very intensely detailed.

Hopefully, or maybe there will be more underground components. The mountainous terrain allows for a lot more potential dungeons and stuff to exist.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Wow!! so excited for this. Neat trailer too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looking forward to this one, hopefully it will bring lots of new things to the open world RPG genre!

ahoyhoy said:
Hopefully, or maybe there will be more underground components. The mountainous terrain allows for a lot more potential dungeons and stuff to exist.
Perhaps some sort of sky city? Hmmmmm....???

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cool. Will wait until confirmation of new engine, then confirmation of how buggy it will be before even thinking about buying. Never again Bethesda. Never again.

coopolon

I've been pretty bummed out on new videogames recently, nothing on the horizon really had me very excited. That is no longer the case, and I'm glad I can still get so pumped up for a new game. I don't think it will be half the game Morrowind was, but that's okay, because Morrowind was one hell of a game.

I really hope we at least see FO3 level of PC support though.

Sanic

Interested in seeing how dramatic these tech improvements are that Mr. Howard has hinted at in the past.

Greater jump than Oblivion to F3? Let's hope.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Y2Kev said:

Yeah, that's too bad. A Elder Scrolls in the olden days of Tamriel would have been awesome, with the lands being unsettled and cavemen and shit everywhere.

oh well

I already had a lot to look forward to in 2011, but this shoots straight up to the top of my list. Can't wait for some real details and footage.

Sotha Sil

Y2Kev said:

Yeah, it is definetly post-Oblivion.

Which means post-empire politics, and what appears to be a nordic saga set in the Elder Scrolls universe.

This is gonna be one long year.

Monocle

ahoyhoy said:
Here's hoping Bethesda unfucks the leveling system so we can venture into dungeons with enemies that make dogmeat of low-level characters. Oblivion's scaling is such crap.

nemesun

2011, The year of forever.
The Witcher 2
The Elder Scrolls
The Two Worlds II
Uncharted 3
The spiritual successor to Demon's Souls
and Diablo III
....Fucking drooling right now.

Sotha Sil

Monocle said:
Here's hoping Bethesda unfucks the leveling system so we can venture into dungeons with enemies that make dogmeat of low-level characters.

No kidding. This kind of crap would be fixed by modders in the blink of an eye, but I do hope they'll design their game with the player's progression in mind (in short, just like in Morrowind).

An-Det

Definitely wasnt expecting ES5, fucking great trailer for it. I cant wait.

Next year is getting even more absurd.

Pandoracell said:
Interested in seeing how dramatic these tech improvements are that Mr. Howard has hinted at in the past.

Greater jump than Oblivion to F3? Let's hope.

there was a jump? i seriously didn't notice anything different between Oblivion and F3 other than 2-3 new animations. maybe some better texturing here and there but i'm not even sure about that.

i'm guessing TESV will have a heavily modified and improved Gamebryo engine. animation will probably be one of the things that is noticeably better. and stability has to be a lot better. Rockstar has shown us with RDR that a complex open-world game on a console can look beautiful and run decent. Bethesda have no excuses.

Monocle

Kenka said:
OK.

Could anyone explain the series in a nutshell ? What is its appeal ?
Go adventuring in a vast, varied open world with uncommonly good lore.

Spike Spiegel said:
Maybe the character models won't need mods to not look like Morlocks this time.

Probably not.
In my most outlandish fantasies, the models will rival Mass Effect's.

ezekial45

Banned
tea_and_crumpets said:
IGN suggest a new engine for the game...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136354p1.html

"In an interview with IGN at Quakecon in August, Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard confirmed the developer's new, and still unannounced, title would not be using id Software's Rage engine, id Tech 5. Instead, Bethesda has created an entirely new game engine."

Strange, i do remember reading an interview with him stating that it was running on an enhanced Fallout 3 engine.. It'll be great if it is a new engine though. Hopefully, anyway.

Kenka

Monocle said:
Go adventuring in a vast, varied open world with uncommonly good lore.

In my most outlandish fantasies, the models will rival Mass Effect's.

OK, so it's good ? Enough to move a total blue in the Western-RPG genre ?

DaBuddaDa

ezekial45 said:
Strange, i do remember reading an interview with him stating that it was running on an enhanced Fallout 3 engine.. It'll be great if it is a new engine though. Hopefully, anyway.
It probably has the Fallout 3 engine guts but goes far beyond it. Like how Bioshock was technically running on UE2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
tea_and_crumpets said:
IGN suggest a new engine for the game...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136354p1.html

"In an interview with IGN at Quakecon in August, Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard confirmed the developer's new, and still unannounced, title would not be using id Software's Rage engine, id Tech 5. Instead, Bethesda has created an entirely new game engine."

Thats about as scary as Obsidian making an engine (which they are).

The end times are upon us?

Sotha Sil

Kenka said:

It's a kind of love-it-or-hate-it deal. It just clicks, or it doesn't. If the idea of complete freedom (character creation- and exporation-wise) appeals to you, you might very well like it.

Monocle

Kenka said:
Well let's put it this way. The Elder Scrolls is the Grand Theft Auto of open world RPGs (with a heap of character customization options thrown in the mix). If you don't mind being left to fend for yourself in an enormous environment, there's virtually no end to the entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom