• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

running ultra settings at a locked 60 FPS. just downloaded the latest beta drivers from nvidia which apparently are optimized for skyrim.

i7-2600k
8gb RAM
GTX 580

Preloading now, but got school. Can't wait to crank this bitch up, tweak the ini, and maybe apply some SGSSAA. Great looking game based on those screenshots.

Also, I bet the modding community is about to go nuts...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
yay :D Always underestimating my 'rig', because I always had a waaaay below standard machine before. thanks for reassurance!

- J - D -

MustacheBandit_ said:
running ultra settings at a locked 60 FPS. just downloaded the latest beta drivers from nvidia which apparently are optimized for skyrim.

i7-2600k
8gb RAM
GTX 580

Pretty much my exact set-up. I'm glad I can expect similar performance.

mileS

BoobPhysics101 said:
Preloading now, but got school. Can't wait to crank this bitch up, tweak the ini, and maybe apply some SGSSAA. Great looking game based on those screenshots.

Also, I bet the modding community is about to go nuts...

Keep us informed with any tweaks you find! Your work in the Witcher 2 performance thread was a lifesaver. <3

TheExodu5

Banned
What the fuck...

I tried the game without vsync (iPresentInterval=0) for fun, and what do I find out? The vertical sensitivity in this game is dependent on your framerate. If your framerate is low, you look vertically much slower than horizontally. If your framerate is high (such as with vsync off), then you look vertically much faster than horizontally.

I want Gamebryo back. How the hell do you screw up an engine so badly?

Durante

TheExodu5 said:
What the fuck...

I tried the game without vsync (iPresentInterval=0) for fun, and what do I find out? The vertical sensitivity in this game is dependent on your framerate. If your framerate is low, you look vertically much slower than horizontally. If your framerate is high (such as with vsync off), then you look vertically much faster than horizontally.

Holy crap.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
What the fuck...

lol!

TheExodu5 said:
What the fuck...

What's the engine Skyrim uses? Never heard of such a thing before. Must be pretty bad coding if the engine is doing that...

mbmonk

I love PC gaming but seeing how people crap out the PC ports almost take the joy out of it. It's then up to the community to fix it or hope the devs don't abandon the PC version in terms of support. Ugh.

Tallshortman said:
What's the engine Skyrim uses? Never heard of such a thing before. Must be pretty bad coding if the engine is doing that...
I've never heard of it messing with the mouse.
I know some half-life games had issues with fps. Like you did more damage with welders and flew longer with jetpacks in Natural Selection if you had high fps.

TheExodu5 said:
What the fuck...

shotweb.jpg

Hope this is isn't a really big issue that affects everyone but I think I'll wait a bit before picking this game up.

Erudite

Posted this in the 'High-Res Screenshots' thread, but I figure it's appropriate here too.

Traced-Velocity said:
So apparently clicking Ultra in the launcher for Skyrim doesn't actually set everything to its highest possible settings, at least for me.

This stuff was left off/set to low.

HjxAk.jpg

Turn it on and the outdoors don't look like shit anymore.

Dennis

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:
Posted this in the 'High-Res Screenshots' thread, but I figure it's appropriate here too.
Well, if people just push a button labeled 'Ultra' they deserve to have shitty visuals.

Everyone knows you have to manually make sure every slider is set to max!

I will ask again: can the HUD be turned of completely? It is hideous.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
Well, if people just push a button labeled 'Ultra' they deserve to have shitty visuals.

Everyone knows you have to manually make sure every slider is set to max!

I will ask again: can the HUD be turned of completely? It is hideous.

bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
bShowCompass=1

I don't know if you can turn off the health bars or enchant bar but those are only visible on screen when they are conveying information so I don't know if they'd even offer the option to disable them.

This is me:

Core 2 Quad processor Q8300 (2.5GHz)
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GTS 250

Will I be able to run it on High?

Can someone post screens comparing High and Ultra and Max?

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Exodu5 what do you recommend for distance sliders?

Can't say. My PC is a little bit on the fritz right now (reboots randomly) so I'm not really messing around with tweaking/benchmarking until I can get it stable again. I'm just running with the settings on High for the time being (on a single GTX 570). Performance is 'okay', but really not great considering.

thecheese

i3 M 370 @ 2.4 GHz (4 CPUs), 4gb ram, windows 7-64-bit

No clue what that shit means, but I assume greater numbers are better than smaller numbers. Am I fucked?

TheExodu5

Banned
I noticed an issue using the 360 pad on PC.

Look straight up.

Time how long it takes to look straight down. Takes 4-5 seconds.
Time how long it takes to look straight up. Takes about half that time.

Why on Earth can I look down faster than I can look up?

When using the Keyboard you can set weapons/magic etc to hotkeys from 1-9 right? Is it possible to use the 360 controller and keyboard at the same time. The weapon/magic selection on the 360 pad is terrible, and its frustrating me.

Gvaz

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
When using the Keyboard you can set weapons/magic etc to hotkeys from 1-9 right? Is it possible to use the 360 controller and keyboard at the same time. The weapon/magic selection on the 360 pad is terrible, and its frustrating me.
No hotkeys, they have favorites instead. It's shitty.

Tallshortman said:
That's the equivalent of a GTX 9800 so I would say likely no.

No it's not, don't spread misinformation. GTX 560m = GTS 450 which is about as fast as a Radeon 5750, quite a bit faster than a 9800 GTX.

Overclock the 560m (they OC really well) and it'll handle Skyrim on Highish settings with 2x AA.

Top Bottom