• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
pestul said:
I was referring to the 10.10d drivers exclusively.. I have been using the MLAA hack on the 10.10s from the beginning. And no, it doesn't work with Radeon Pro on the 10.10d's btw (5xxx series). Going by yesterdays news, and that might have changed over night.

EDIT: nm, seems they did fix it with RadeonPro. Will try some DX10/11 games for you guys.

so does the 10.10a hack works for 10.10d? (sounds stupid, but who knows?)

So whats the best way to use MLAA for Picture/Performance?

Do I combine it with AA in the Catayst Control Panel or in game options, or disable AA and just use MLAA.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rabid Wolverine said:
So whats the best way to use MLAA for Picture/Performance?

Do I combine it with AA in the Catayst Control Panel or in game options, or disable AA and just use MLAA.
Combine with 4x MSAA from CCC (not in-game).

subversus

Ok, so I tried this and not sure if want. I hate soft edges of UI and letters in it.

The whole look is also soft and I like it sharp even if it includes aliasing. Tried it with ME2, now Fallout New Vegas.

subversus

Looks like shit in The Ball. No, thanks. May be my resolution is too low (1360*768).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
Ok, so I tried this and not sure if want. I hate soft edges of UI and letters in it.

The whole look is also soft and I like it sharp even if it includes aliasing. Tried it with ME2, now Fallout New Vegas.
I wonder if they could throw an unsharpen filter on top of it. That's basically what TVs do.

JADS said:
Sorry for getting your hopes up. I should have been a bit more clear on my wording. I meant to say that it seems to be working in Directx 10 and 11 games. Its a bit of a hit and miss in those games though. Bioshock 1 and 2 in DX10 mode look pretty great without a large performance hit. Shattered Horizon on the other hand looks like crap, with a large performance hit of around 30 frames.

Grab the drivers I posted earlier and then install RadeonPro. RadeonPro is pretty much an essential tool for all AMD/ATI users these days. At least if you play a lot of games that don't support AA through the ingame menu like Darksiders, most UT3 based games and STALKER SoC.

I grabbed both the drivers and RadeonPro it just won't let me select morphological filtering in the profile for GTA4.

JADS

mikespit1200 said:
I grabbed both the drivers and RadeonPro it just won't let me select morphological filtering in the profile for GTA4.

Weird, try starting RadeonPro as an administrator. It worked fine for me on my 5850.

Salaadin

Im using 10.10b and RadeonPro and I also cant get MLAA working on my 5850. It shows up in the "Add new profile wizard" but once I save that, its gone. Thats the only time that MLAA isnt greyed out.

WHen I first started RadeonPro, I got the message "There are some features with your drivers that can be activated with RadeonPro. Would you like to activate them?" and I selected yes. I assumed this was MLAA.

Salaadin said:
Im using 10.10b and RadeonPro and I also cant get MLAA working on my 5850. It shows up in the "Add new profile wizard" but once I save that, its gone. Thats the only time that MLAA isnt greyed out.

WHen I first started RadeonPro, I got the message "There are some features with your drivers that can be activated with RadeonPro. Would you like to activate them?" and I selected yes. I assumed this was MLAA.

Exact same thing for me. Haven't given it another try yet. Guess I have to hold out for official 5xxx support.

i tested the D hotfix drivers last night on my 5870s and the registry change still works just fine. tested it on bioshock 2 and it works in dx10. will test dx11 tonight.

MLAA still makes my PC scream it's power alarm though. hopefully the official drivers won't make that happen. it's very weird. it works fine, i just get the alarm.

Salaadin

mikespit1200 said:
Exact same thing for me. Haven't given it another try yet. Guess I have to hold out for official 5xxx support.

Yeah thats what Im going to do. Its not a big deal but itd just be nice to have them early.

scitek

Salaadin said:
Im using 10.10b and RadeonPro and I also cant get MLAA working on my 5850. It shows up in the "Add new profile wizard" but once I save that, its gone.

Who are the add-wizards that came up with that one?

brain_stew said:
How exactly do you figure that? They're just fixing a feature that was supposed to be part of the driver release all along. They're not adding official support for any older cards, yet at least. Nothing's changed in this regard.

I hate to go a little off topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread, especially for something tangentially related.

Here's my question: Is there a "cheat sheet" for CCC settings on the 5850? I'm never quite sure exactly what to use. I would imagine that the best answer is to adjust the settings on a game-by-game basis, but I'm trying to come up with profile that at least works well for *most* games.

Right now, my standard philosophy is to leave the settings as "application managed" (where possible). I can give my full range of settings (how exciting!) when I get back to my PC.

It's probably tiresome to help people who are clueless, but I appreciate any input folks could provide.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
professor_t said:
I hate to go a little off topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread, especially for something tangentially related.

Here's my question: Is there a "cheat sheet" for CCC settings on the 5850? I'm never quite sure exactly what to use. I would imagine that the best answer is to adjust the settings on a game-by-game basis, but I'm trying to come up with profile that at least works well for *most* games.

Right now, my standard philosophy is to leave the settings as "application managed" (where possible). I can give my full range of settings (how exciting!) when I get back to my PC.

It's probably tiresome to help people who are clueless, but I appreciate any input folks could provide.
First off, don't profile in CCC, it's terrible and you should use Radeon Pro. Second, just get a feel for the different Anti-aliasing settings and test different levels with different games to see how high you can set it without dropping from 60 fps. Games older than 2004 can almost always handle Super-sampling with ease.

Also, 95% of games can just have Anisoptric filtering forced. There are some rare cases where you shouldn't (Crysis, AvP), but pretty much everything else should be fine.

JADS

Zombie James said:
I asked this before, but, can anyone post a comparison with Borderlands? It's supposedly one of those "immune" games that don't work with AA (unless you turn off the cell shading).

Bit late to the party, but:

No MLAA
borderlands.exe_2010-1lprn.jpg

MLAA
mlaa_borderlands.exe_2ltuh.jpg

No MLAA
borderlands.exe_2010-1tlmu.jpg

MLAA
mlaa_borderlands.exe_27qoq.jpg

Performance is much better than forcing MSAA, but my 5850 isn't enough to keep a stable 60 FPS framerate. It sometimes dips into the low 50's.

Edit: It seems that dynamic shadows is causing me to drop frames in combination with MLAA. Disabling dynamic shadows gives me a stable 60 framerate.

Alright, I've installed the drivers and RadeonPro, but I'm still not sure how to force MLAA? I added a profile for CoD: Black Ops, but no matter what combination of AA modes I select, the checkbox for "Enable Morphological Filtering" remains unavailable. Am I doing something wrong, or looking in the wrong place?

I've got a 5830M.

I enabled MLAA on Mass Effect 2 but it takes a huge performance hit. I get near perfect 60fps when I enable 4x MSAA in RadeonPro but MLAA (no MSAA) I drop down into the 40s. Something doesn't seem right. I took a similar hit in Borderlands.

I have a 5850 by the way.

ne1

I've been having the same problems as some of you guys with radeon 5000 cards - greyed out box in radeonpro (5850 with 10.10d here.)
What works for me is pressing the update button in radeonpro, then the MLAA box get ungreyed - that is until you press anything else...! (Just press update again to re-enable the box.)
And if you do enable it when ungreyed then it will work, even if it greys out directly after you've pressed it. That is my experience at least.

UrbanRats

since i installed the MLAA drivers (5850) Mount&BladeWarband (steam version) won't start up. :(
Even if i uncheck the MLAA box, it still doesn't start.
I'm not sure it's the driver though, anybody else having the same issue with Warband?

Felix Lighter said:
I enabled MLAA on Mass Effect 2 but it takes a huge performance hit. I get near perfect 60fps when I enable 4x MSAA in RadeonPro but MLAA (no MSAA) I drop down into the 40s. Something doesn't seem right. I took a similar hit in Borderlands.

I have a 5850 by the way.

ME2 is one of the few games that truly doesn't need MLAA because it's so well optimized. I was shocked at well the game ran on my 2008 Macbook Pro. Also, thanks ne1 I'll give that update trick a try when I get home.

Darkatomz

Well my 6870 is in the mail, first time getting an ATI card.

So should I be installing the official Catalyst 10.10d+RadeonPro, or should I be getting that outdated hotfix in the OP for MLAA to work?

Ne1's update trick worked on my 5770. Just click update in the bottom right and the MLAA button magically becomes clickable. I tried out GTA4 a little. The overal image quality is better but there's no real performance game. I just set MLAA and brought the filtering all the way down.

Stallion Free said:
First off, don't profile in CCC, it's terrible and you should use Radeon Pro. Second, just get a feel for the different Anti-aliasing settings and test different levels with different games to see how high you can set it without dropping from 60 fps. Games older than 2004 can almost always handle Super-sampling with ease.

Also, 95% of games can just have Anisoptric filtering forced. There are some rare cases where you shouldn't (Crysis, AvP), but pretty much everything else should be fine.

When you say don't profile in CCC, are you simply suggesting that I should enter the default settings in CCC and install Radeon Pro for any tweaks I might want to implement?

JADS said:
Performance is much better than forcing MSAA, but my 5850 isn't enough to keep a stable 60 FPS framerate. It sometimes dips into the low 50's.

Edit: It seems that dynamic shadows is causing me to drop frames in combination with MLAA. Disabling dynamic shadows gives me a stable 60 framerate.

I tried it out and got similar results, when enabling MLAA my FPS dropped to around 45 - 50, but if i turned off dynamic shadows it went back up to 60. Kinda sucks because I can't decide which I like having more, dynamic shadows or less jaggies

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
professor_t said:
When you say don't profile in CCC, are you simply suggesting that I should enter the default settings in CCC and install Radeon Pro for any tweaks I might want to implement?
Yeah, Radeon Pro is basically a reskin of CCC that adds in some of the more hidden options and makes everything more usable. Just leave CCC as is and work in Radeon Pro.

JADS

Wallach said:
Any performance issues on 10.10e?

I don't know, you should really test that yourself. I haven't seen anything odd in my daily session of TF2. The Guru3d topic doesn't have any complaints about performance, yet.

Wallach

JADS said:
I don't know, you should really test that yourself. I haven't seen anything odd in my daily session of TF2. The Guru3d topic doesn't have any complaints about performance, yet.

Yeah I'm already putzing around with it. Just wondering if anything big was known. Nice to have official MLAA support for the 5xxx.

UrbanRats

I'm having some issues, with those 10.10 drivers.
On 2d stuff(videos and 2d games, like Braid) there are artifacts, like the flickering of the objects' edges.
And also, a WMV video of Deus EX i had, goes all over the place with the framerate.. it does like 2 frames forward and 1 backward, very annoying.
Other videos only have that flickering, instead.

Also, Youtube doesn't seem to have any problem.
I've tried watching a youtube video at 1080p: no problem at all.
Downloaded the same video(1080p)and, watching it on from my desktop, it does have the flickering.

I'll try to clean the drivers with driver sweeper and reinstall them, maybe.

EDIT: Also, SEGA All Star Racing, it doesn't visualize any model, invisible cars/characters/tracks/objects.. but i don't know if it's related, since every other 3d game i've tried, works fine.

Wallach

UrbanRats said:
I'm having some issues, with those 10.10 drivers.
On 2d stuff(videos and 2d games, like Braid) there are artifacts, like the flickering of the objects' edges.
And also, a WMV video of Deus EX i had, goes all over the place with the framerate.. it does like 2 frames forward and 1 backward, very annoying.
Other videos only have that flickering, instead.

Also, Youtube doesn't seem to have any problem.
I've tried watching a youtube video at 1080p: no problem at all.
Downloaded the same video(1080p)and when i watch it on from my desktop, it have the flickering.

I'll try to clean the drivers with driver sweeper and reinstall them, maybe.

Check to see if MLAA is turned on. I'd heard some folks were having problems where it was applied to everything including the desktop and it would cause those kinds of visual issues on 2D edges.

UrbanRats

Wallach said:
Check to see if MLAA is turned on. I'd heard some folks were having problems where it was applied to everything including the desktop and it would cause those kinds of visual issues on 2D edges.
Thanks, that solved the flickering problem. :D
still having issues with the framrate in the Deus Ex video(might be a damaged video?) and, more importantly, with Sonic, but probably it's not related.

Here's a screenshot from the starting grid:
fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

EDIT: Yep, it's also related to forcing AA into the game(not necessarily MLAA though) kinda solve, then.

EDIT2: As for the video, might be related to this?
Video acceleration for HD WMV video content

* This release of AMD Catalyst provides GPU acceleration support for WMV HD (Microsoft video codec) under Windows 7
* Supported on the ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series of products and higher.
cause i've downloaded the video again (from gamersyde) and it still have the framerate stuff.

UrbanRats

brain_stew said:
Well I know for a fact that SEGA racing doesn't let you force any sort of traditional AA or even AF, no idea about MLAA.
I've created two profiles now, a clean and a MLAA one. Didn't know you could do that. :lol

Salaadin

Catalyst 10.11 is out today.

I have that and STILL cant get MLAA with my 5850. Its greyed out in RadeonPro and I cant find the option for it in CCC. Is there somewhere else I should be looking.

MLAA in RadeonPro is ungreyed once I hit the update button but thats not much of a solution since Ill have to do it every time I want to enable it. Is this a Radeon Pro issue or something else?

JADS

Salaadin said:
Catalyst 10.11 is out today.

I have that and STILL cant get MLAA with my 5850. Its greyed out in RadeonPro and I cant find the option for it in CCC. Is there somewhere else I should be looking.

MLAA in RadeonPro is ungreyed once I hit the update button but thats not much of a solution since Ill have to do it every time I want to enable it. Is this a Radeon Pro issue or something else?

Stay away from 10.11 and download 10.10e. For some bizarre reason the 10.10e drivers are newer. MLAA works out of the box on 10.10e

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, to get MLAA on my 5770, I only need to install Catalyst 10.11? No need for hotfixes, hacks or registry editing anymore?

Edit: ref. post above - or should I just go for 10.10e?

Salaadin

JADS said:
Stay away from 10.11 and download 10.10e. For some bizarre reason the 10.10e drivers are newer. MLAA works out of the box on 10.10e

Perfect. A little ass backwards if you ask me (10.10e is newer than 10.11..Huh?) but that worked. Thanks so much.

Combichristoffersen said:
So, to get MLAA on my 5770, I only need to install Catalyst 10.11? No need for hotfixes, hacks or registry editing anymore?

Edit: ref. post above - or should I just go for 10.10e?

Using 10.10e, the option for MLAA appears right in CCC so you should be fine with 10.10e.

JADS

Salaadin said:
Perfect. A little ass backwards if you ask me (10.10e is newer than 10.11..Huh?) but that worked. Thanks so much.

Using 10.10e, the option for MLAA appears right in CCC so you should be fine with 10.10e.

10.11 doesn't even support the 68xx series, oh AMD :lol

CatalystMaker on Twitter said:
@CyberPowerUK Correct. It is not supported. 10.10e is the newest driver for 68xx users (and for everyone else as well actually)

Anony

i upgraded to win7 to get mlaa for my 5670
downloaded 10.11, no mlaa option

downloading catalyst_10.10e_hotfix_win7_nov9.exe, it's 119mb
is this the right file?

Top Bottom