• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Wallach

Anyone have a problem with Flash when using 10.10c through 10.10e? Driver will crash & recover if I run two things simultaneously, like if I open a YouTube video while UStream is running.

Blizzard

Banned
Wallach said:
Anyone have a problem with Flash when using 10.10c through 10.10e? Driver will crash & recover if I run two things simultaneously, like if I open a YouTube video while UStream is running.
My driver has been crashing and recovering lately, and YouTube is often (always?) involved, but I didn't make the connection. I think I have the stock version of 10.10 though. When it crashes it's been with a red or pink screen.

Wallach

Blizzard said:
My driver has been crashing and recovering lately, and YouTube is often (always?) involved, but I didn't make the connection. I think I have the stock version of 10.10 though. When it crashes it's been with a red or pink screen.

I actually didn't upgrade from 10.9 until 10.10c so I don't know when it started. I'm actually on the "old" 10.11 drivers because they don't seem to have this crash (and I'm not fond of MLAA anyway just yet).

Milpool

The flash related crashing is a known/common bug with no official fix yet. I think it's something to do with the clock speeds, and the only way around it at the moment is by editing your GPU BIOS.

-Winnie-

So I just got an HD 6870, but I kind of have no idea what I'm doing.

First of all, after installing drivers and whatnot, I couldn't even find an option for MLAA. Ended up using this hack to get the option to even show up.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3746837&postcount=156

What kind of settings should I use for optimal performance? And any clue why MLAA wasn't in my options before?

I got a BSOD earlier after doing the hack, which was slightly worrying.

Darkatomz

Guess I'll bump this.

Now that 10.12 is out (with a 6870), should I be checking both the Application Settings and Morphological Filtering boxes with Standard Filter (not Edge-Detect) in CCC, and use D3D to handle the 3xbuffering? Or should all of this be done in RadeonPro?

Specifically, I'm trying to get this all working for the Crysis games right now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Milpool said:
The flash related crashing is a known/common bug with no official fix yet. I think it's something to do with the clock speeds, and the only way around it at the moment is by editing your GPU BIOS.
Or disabling HW acceleration on flash videos. I'm starting to see why Apple isn't a fan.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wtf, MLAA option disappeared with the new 10.12 drivers. The fuck ATI? It being available in 10.10e for 5k Series users was just a mistake? D:<

Edit: Same ol' CCC too.

Wallach

Easy_D said:
Wtf, MLAA option disappeared with the new 10.12 drivers. The fuck ATI? It being available in 10.10e for 5k Series users was just a mistake? D:<

Edit: Same ol' CCC too.

Yeah, it's not in 10.12 for 5xxx series for whatever reason, though you can still use the .inf trick and enable it.

The CCC is definitely different for me though.

Edit - .inf not .ini derp

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wallach said:
Yeah, it's not in 10.12 for 5xxx series for whatever reason, though you can still use the .ini trick and enable it.

Tell me more about the .ini trick, I'm dumb and I don't know what to do.

Also turns out I used the installer. I installed another package than the Preview Version.

Then I ran the preview install and it said the versions were the same but I went ahead anyway and noticed it said Catalyst Control Center 2 during install.
It uses the new one now :). Looks much better, now give us more options to fiddle with!

Edit: I take it back, holy fuck, navigating this is annoying as hell.

Edit #2: Is the .ini trick when you replace the ini file from the 5k series driver install folder with the one from the 6k series one?

Salaadin

Wallach said:
Yeah, it's not in 10.12 for 5xxx series for whatever reason, though you can still use the .ini trick and enable it.

I have MLAA in the new CCC for my 5850 with 10.12.
Preferences > Advanced View > Gaming > 3d App Settings and its right on top.

Wallach

Easy_D said:
Tell me more about the .ini trick, I'm dumb and I don't know what to do.

Also turns out I used the installer. I installed another package than the Preview Version.

Then I ran the preview install and it said the versions were the same but I went ahead anyway and noticed it said Catalyst Control Center 2 during install.
It uses the new one now :). Looks much better, now give us more options to fiddle with!

Edit: I take it back, holy fuck, navigating this is annoying as hell.

Edit #2: Is the .ini trick when you replace the ini file from the 5k series driver install folder with the one from the 6k series one?

Grabbed from an [H] thread:

You'll have to use another inf mod. The one I linked to doesn't work. I will upload the inf that I just made and verified that works.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j3x3v9acv7rocqx

Go to the folder where the driver install program unpacks all the files(usually C:\AMD). Then naviagte to Catalyst_10.12_CCC2_Preview_Win7_Dec7\Packages\Drivers\Displ ay\W76A_INF and replace the inf. This is only for x64 Windows 7 users.

If you want to do this yourself, open up the inf and search for the line that says HKR,, MLF_NA, %REG_SZ%, and change the 1 to 0. Do the same thing for HKR,, SurfaceFormatReplacements_NA, %REG_SZ%,. Then save the file and install.

So, unpack the drivers so they get placed in the folder above, cancel the auto-run install, replace the .inf with the one in the link, then run the installer from that folder.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Salaadin said:
I have MLAA in the new CCC for my 5850 with 10.12.
Preferences > Advanced View > Gaming > 3d App Settings and its right on top.
So 5850's are deemed worthy of MLAA but not 5870's :(. Oh well, gonna do the magical .ini workaround now so no worries.

Edit: Thank you! That saved me priceless minutes of googling :D

Edit#2: Yep MLAA options and the ability to turn Surface Format Optimization on and off are now available :D

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
My MLAA impression is "more art, less artifice". It's like a layer of abstraction has been removed from the screen. You can also get away with running in lower resolutions (with higher frame rates) without the downside of jaggies. I run 3 CRT monitors in eyefinity so every resolution I use is "native" ie. no scaling artifacts and am really beginning to appreciate 3x1280x1024 at a consistent 85 frames per second with good AA (MLAA/8xmsaa/2xssaa) versus 3x1600x1200 at 40-50 fps with 2xmsaa. It's true what they say, frame rate IS king.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sorry for the bump, but I was just wondering if the 11.1 drivers for my 5770 includes MLAA support, or if I should stick to the beta version of 10.x I've got installed (the beta version that first had MLAA for 57xx series cards)?

vocab

Combichristoffersen said:
Sorry for the bump, but I was just wondering if the 11.1 drivers for my 5770 includes MLAA support, or if I should stick to the beta version of 10.x I've got installed (the beta version that first had MLAA for 57xx series cards)?

11.2 will have official WHQL MLAA support for 5xxx.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BubTheZombie said:
My MLAA impression is "more art, less artifice". It's like a layer of abstraction has been removed from the screen. You can also get away with running in lower resolutions (with higher frame rates) without the downside of jaggies. I run 3 CRT monitors in eyefinity so every resolution I use is "native" ie. no scaling artifacts and am really beginning to appreciate 3x1280x1024 at a consistent 85 frames per second with good AA (MLAA/8xmsaa/2xssaa) versus 3x1600x1200 at 40-50 fps with 2xmsaa. It's true what they say, frame rate IS king.
That's pretty much the reason why I still own a CRT.

vocab

Combichristoffersen said:
Sweet. I thought 11.2 just added official support for 58xx and 59xx series, not the 57xx series?

Aw shit. You're right. I have no clue then.

JADS said:
Try the 11.1a hotfix drivers. It added MLAA out of the box for me.

I wouldn't let my 5850 go near those drivers.

EDIT: I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ, JESUS CHRIST.

MLAA Support will be added for the entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000 series!

JADS

vocab said:
Aw shit. You're right. I have no clue then.

I wouldn't let my 5850 go near those drivers.

EDIT: I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ, JESUS CHRIST.

MLAA Support will be added for the entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000 series!

I have been running the 11.1a drivers for days now without any issues on my 5850. In fact the 11.1a drivers fixed the screen shaking issue for me.

vocab

JADS said:
I have been running the 11.1a drivers for days now without any issues on my 5850. In fact the 11.1a drivers fixed the screen shaking issue for me.

Move your mouse to the top right corner. Notice that mouse lag?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I wonder if people will be able to code specific MLAA profiles for specific games in the future. That would be insane.

scitek

Slayer-33 said:
I wonder if people will be able to code specific MLAA profiles for specific games in the future. That would be insane.

What do you mean? Like turn on MLAA for certain games when they launch?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
scitek said:
What do you mean? Like turn on MLAA for certain games when they launch?
Tagetted MLAA lol, like it's off over static UI sections of certain games, dunno if it would work like that.

scitek

Slayer-33 said:
Tagetted MLAA lol, like it's off over static UI sections of certain games, dunno if it would work like that.
I don't think it works like that, BUT if developers want to start putting in MLAA as a selectable option in the menus, I believe it could be done that way. It would sure be nice to see.

Slayer-33 said:
That would work. Nvidia for example just picks out the render targets (i.e. the different pieces that make up the final rendered image) and applies whatever they want to it.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
If i wanted to add MLAA to Dead Space 2 with RadeonPro, i just have to tell it where the .exe is, and check the "Morphological Filtering" box, right?

Also, under the Tweaks tab i've checked the "Tripple Buffering" box to prevent tearing.

Is my config ok?

derFeef

SuperÑ said:
If i wanted to add MLAA to Dead Space 2 with RadeonPro, i just have to tell it where the .exe is, and check the "Morphological Filtering" box, right?

Also, under the Tweaks tab i've checked the "Tripple Buffering" box to prevent tearing.

Is my config ok?
Yup. For tripple buffering you need to enable/force vsync on as well though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why can't this be selective?

eg the game should know what thin geometry is in the scene (power lines etc) and what are larger polys.

So would it be possible to create some kind of masking where it applies MSAA to thin geometry, MLAA to everything else, and then drops HUDs etc on top?

Salaadin

Mass Effect 2 looks so good with this on. Everything looks so smooth. Im getting a solid 60 FPS so far in the beginning 3 hours of the game. I wonder if I can add in any more AA options and get an even better image.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mrklaw said:
why can't this be selective?

eg the game should know what thin geometry is in the scene (power lines etc) and what are larger polys.

So would it be possible to create some kind of masking where it applies MSAA to thin geometry, MLAA to everything else, and then drops HUDs etc on top?
The devs of each specific game would have to fix this I believe :(

markao

Salaadin said:
Catalyst 11.2 is out:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

The notes say that these add MLAA for 5000 series cards which is odd because whatever driver Im currently using (I think 10.12) has it active. Did they remove it again in 11.1?

Release Notes: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst112ReleaseNotes.aspx
Thanks for the link.

Did you not have to manually change something to get it to work on those earlier drivers, at least I remember me changing some stuff, with the first one they added it to.

Salaadin

markao said:
Thanks for the link.

Did you not have to manually change something to get it to work on those earlier drivers, at least I remember me changing some stuff, with the first one they added it to.

I think I was using 10.9 when MLAA was released. I upgraded to 10.10 and thought that all I needed was Radeon Pro to get MLAA working but that didnt do it even though Radeon Pro told me that it activated some new features that otherwise werent available.

Then AMD releases 10.11 and 10.10e on the same day. I switched to 10.11 but still couldnt get MLAA. However, the release notes for 10.10e stated that it added MLAA for 5000 series cards. I switched to that and I think thats what Im still using today. I mightve misspoke earlier when I said I was on 10.12.

I dont understand AMDs numbering scheme sometimes :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ATI's naming scheme goes like this:

last two digits of year.number of month + a letter designating beta.

So 10.10e's where Ocotber 2010 and the "e" beta revision.

All drivers released this year will be 11.something.

Salaadin

Stallion Free said:
ATI's naming scheme goes like this:

last two digits of year.number of month + a letter designating beta.

So 10.10e's where Ocotber 2010 and the "e" beta revision.

All drivers released this year will be 11.something.

What throws me is when they release beta drivers and new drivers the same day. 10.10e and 11.10 were released on the exact same day iirc but 10.10e gave me more features than 11.10.

I exaggerate though. Its only happened to me once.

Zzoram said:
Wait, drivers newer than 10.10 don't support HD4000 series?
The release notes for 11.2 above state that 4000 series is compatible though I dont think it mentions any performance upgrades/features for that series. Im not sure about the others.

Have any techsite done tests with the Tessellation Control? To see at which tess factors image quality starts to degrade and what performance benefits its achieved. Would be great to see specially in games.

Salaadin

Im having an odd issue when I enable MLAA. I have RadeonPro setup to take screens and retain the MLAA in the shots. However, I get a slight pause when the screen is taken. It only lasts half a second but its enough to annoy me.

Is there something I can do to fix this or is it just the way it is when MLAA is turned on? FRAPs doesnt give me issues but it also doesnt catch MLAA.

Salaadin said:
Im having an odd issue when I enable MLAA. I have RadeonPro setup to take screens and retain the MLAA in the shots. However, I get a slight pause when the screen is taken. It only lasts half a second but its enough to annoy me.

Is there something I can do to fix this or is it just the way it is when MLAA is turned on? FRAPs doesnt give me issues but it also doesnt catch MLAA.

I believe it is actually applying the filter after it captures the screenshot. There is no way to prevent it. I don't think there is any other way to retain the effect.

Top Bottom