• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Review Thread

Granjinha

It's funny but I think the game actually looks worse than TEW1 in some cases, especially monsters and brain/body damage. A lot of the finer details have been lost with the open world segments (and they suck IMO). Horror games absolutely need to be linear or at least in a controlled environment. Union doesn't work as a city, because atmosphere is lacking unlike something like Silent Hill. It's like this game is trying too many things at once, but doesn't excel at any of them.

Yeah.. No. The game looks a lot prettier than EW1, far more consistent. The atmosphere is not lacking either, the "open world" has been designed really well, with tiny setpieces scattered around and some really cool side-quests. Completely disagree with the notion that game 'doesn't excel at anything it does'.

If anything, that's actually what happened to the first game with it's horrible pacing and completely disjointed chapters and narrative.

Also I find it weird that some of you are so emotionally invested in a Metacritic score. The game has already flopped quite badly in the UK and that was when the meta score was pretty decent, don't try to blame a couple of low scoring reviews for the game suddenly not selling well, there are many other factors going on to explain that.

Uh, did someone say that? Cause i haven't seen any of that.

whoyou'retalkingto.gif

Yeah.. No. The game looks a lot prettier than EW1, far more consistent. The atmosphere is not lacking either, the "open world" has been designed really well, with tiny setpieces scattered around and some really cool side-quests. Completely disagree with the notion that game 'doesn't excel at anything it does'.

If anything, that's actually what happened to the first game with it's horrible pacing and completely disjointed chapters and narrative.

Uh, did someone say that? Cause i haven't seen any of that.

whoyou'retalkingto.gif

Nah, some parts of the game look really neat but the open world stuff is very generic and bland. Hardly any detail and is more or less a poor man's Silent Hill.The first game was constantly throwing you into new, impressive environments that looked really oppressive. I'm at Chapter 11 and so far only a few areas have stuck out at all.

rtcn63

I wouldn't be surprised if the game improved at least half a point if you just skipped all the story parts on your first run

Picking this up this weekend. Really looking forward to it. The only thing I didn't really like int he first one was how the ending turned into some insane Saints Row-esque over the top ridiculousness.

That review is.....wow. So incredibly different from my experience so far. I'm going around union, systematically taking out zombie's using stealth, and having a great time. If I fail at stealth, I bust out my trusty shotgun and finish the job....or run away, lol. It's not a perfect game, but it's addicting as hell, and the side content so far has been very good. Not sure what the reviewer was playing, but it's not the same game I'm enjoying.
I read the review out of curiosity. He does say the open world aspects you mention are a great addition to the genre. However he has problem with the actual gameplay (shooting and stealth controls) as well as the lacklustre story.

I'm going through Union now as well and am really enjoying this game however. I think the stealth is solid. Just easy enough to exploit bottle drops etc, but if I encounter multiple enemies or stronger enemies it does get quite challenging.
The shooting and melee combat is fine, but I am enjoying it more because of the lack of ammo. Having to fight against swaying aim to safe ammo is somehow satisfying. The melee combat is so weak it is actually fun to use when out of bullets, makes you really sorry you missed that one headshot.

The story really is... whatever, however I think the world building has some interesting details (like the religion stuff) that keeps me interested and makes certain side missions more intriguing.

Overall I can see how the reviewer gets to this conclusion, especially when he is forced to play this game. Comparing it to let's say Uncharted/Last of Us, it is less ‘polished', but while those games are polished it misses a lot of the charm The Evil Within 2 has.

diablogod

This is probably one of my top games this year, easily an 8.5/10 from me (although I'm not finished yet)

I just finished the game last night. Although I think the story makes some huge logic leaps it's still a fun story if that makes any sense and I think I easily place it in my top 5 survival horror games of all time. The music in this game is also really great.

Top Bottom