• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Find red and yellow gem and insert them into random animal statue with holes where the eyes should be? :)

Of course more complexity would be appreciated(zero and remake had some decent stuff), but anything is good for me. I just like that it breaks up the feeling of linearity, at least a little bit.

Shurayuki

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

Nice work!

Buuut, about that part...?_?
I'm pretty sure it says he's a cop:

"When (Keiji 刑事=) police Officer Sebastian and his partner hurry to the scene of a series of terrible murders, a great power wrapped up in mystery awaited them. While he watches the other policemen getting killed one after the other he is attacked and knocked unconscious" etc etc

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

If it's not PR speech HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

wrowa

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

That sounds perfect.

I'm getting serious Pyramide Head vibes from the safe dude, btw.

mattp

FUCK

YES

I played RAGE (though admittedly did not finish it).

If the engine that this is running on is somehow putting you off playing it despite all the other things it has going for it, then I really have nothing more to say to you.

It's so petty, and hardly any games come out that are like this (at least, based on what we've seen so far) so I would rather take this somewhat unique experience on a "shit engine" than another shooter or annual sports franchise release.

Every time you turn around the textures have to reload, if you play with high mouse sens like me and actually try to treat it like an ID game you are constantly looking at textures popping in and being missing.
The gameplay of rage was crap too if you ignore the graphics problems, first shot has random spread ? It felt like I was playing mass effect instead of an ID game. What a fuckup to such a fundamental part of a game.

Fool me once...

Never buying an id5 game again.

Nemesis_

....there's someone stalking Sebastien.
....Sebastien is a policeman.
....Sebastien has hallucinations.

I know it's not HUGELY similar but I like to draw the links :p

Imagine if Mikami was giving us the prototype RE4, reimagined for an edgier audience with this game ;_;

Every time you turn around the textures have to reload, if you play with high mouse sense like me you constantly have textures loading.

The gameplay of rage was crap too if you ignore the graphics problems, first shot has random spread ? It felt like I was playing mass effect instead of an ID game.

Fool me once...

Well that's unfortunate :(

Neiteio

crying-gif-2.gif
Perfect reaction.

Also, again, the safe-head monster looks amazing.

So does the spider-woman.

So does everything.

pvpness

Hmm. True survival horror huh? We'll see. The last one was zombi u and it set a high bar for me.

Mikami + pc version means day 1 for, regardless. Pity it's cross gen.

madkiller

XKTMj.gif

wrowa

....there's someone stalking Sebastien.
....Sebastien is a policeman.
....Sebastien has hallucinations.

I know it's not HUGELY similar but I like to draw the links :p

Imagine if Mikami was giving us the prototype RE4, reimagined for an edgier audience with this game ;_;

If the PR is translated correctly, he's on the run from the police and not a police man. Or he's a police man gone wild.

Personally, what we've seen so far reminds me of SH more than anything else. To the degree that I kinda fear that Sebastian might be a normal-dude-who-made-a-mistake who's mind is being punished by that unknown place and by the safe dude. Which wouldn't be a bad setup, but too close to Konami's series for me to feel comfortable about it. :S

If the PR is translated correctly, he's on the run from the police and not a police man. Or he's a police man gone wild.

Personally, what we've seen so far reminds me of SH more than anything else. To the degree that I kinda fear that Sebastian might be a normal-dude-who-made-a-mistake who's mind is being punished by that unknown place and by the safe dude.

And the safe holds his darkest secrets / repressed memories of his "mistake".

JPKellams

Your translation is WAY OFF on the story... My uber-rough take.

刑事セバスチャンとその相棒が、凄惨な大量死亡事件の現場へ急行すると、そこは謎に包まれた強大な力が待ち構えていた。他の警察官が次々と殺害されていくのを目撃したその時、何者かがセバスチャンを襲い、意識を失ってしまう。目覚めた場所は、化け物が徘徊し、常に死と隣り合わせの狂気の世界だったが、彼は戦いながらも状況を理解していく。
想像を絶する恐怖に直面し、生き延びるために戦う……セバスチャンはその強大な力の陰に潜む謎を解き明かすため、恐怖に満ち溢れた旅に出るのだった。

Sebastian and his partner go to a scene of a mass murder, where a mysterious force is at work. As Sebastian watches more and more of the police get killed before his eyes, he is attacked by something that knocks him out. When he comes to he must fight to understand a world where ghosts roam free and death and insanity live side-by-side. He will face unimaginable horrors where the only where to continue living is to fight. To discover the truth behind this powerful force, Sebastian must embark on a journey brimming with horror.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

刑事セバスチャンとその相棒が、凄惨な大量死亡事件の現場へ急行すると、そこは謎に包まれた強大な力が待ち構えていた。他の警察官が次々と殺害されていくのを目撃したその時、何者かがセバスチャンを襲い、意識を失ってしまう。目覚めた場所は、化け物が徘徊し、常に死と隣り合わせの狂気の世界だったが、彼は戦いながらも状況を理解していく。

Sebastian and his partner go to a scene of a mass murder, where a mysterious force is at work. As Sebastian watches more and more of the police get killed before his eyes, he is attacked by something that knocks him out. When he comes to he must fight to understand a world where death and insanity live side-by-side. He will face unimaginable horrors where the only where to continue living is to fight. To discover the truth behind this powerful force, Sebastian must embark on a journey brimming with horror.

Thank you for that, I cannot read Japanese and the story was one thing I was trying my best to sort out with him. If there's any other corrections, let me know, another part we had some difficulty with was the thing about objects turning into distortions, which we came off with was things like doors, walls, and other things changing in real-time into other things.

Shurayuki

Sebastian and his partner go to a scene of a mass murder, where a mysterious force is at work. As Sebastian watches more and more of the police get killed before his eyes, he is attacked by something that knocks him out. When he comes to he must fight to understand a world where death and insanity live side-by-side. He will face unimaginable horrors where the only where to continue living is to fight. To discover the truth behind this powerful force, Sebastian must embark on a journey brimming with horror.

I'm invisible *criesinacorner*

But yeah I agree with you that's what it says.

JoeFenix

Sounds divine, lack of UE3 is a fantastic surprise too!

I wouldn't count Wii U out because it says "PS3/360/PC/NextGen"

Wii U is "next gen", and they could of easily announced a PS4 version along side PS3/360/PC, so I'd say we wait.

Bethesda has never released a game on a Nintendo system other than two games on Wii, so maybe...Just maybe, Bethesda will be nice enough to give Wii U a chance.

Wii U next gen? Well that's just reaching. They would've announced it if it was actually being developed.

mj-laughing.gif

Sebastian and his partner go to a scene of a mass murder, where a mysterious force is at work. As Sebastian watches more and more of the police get killed before his eyes, he is attacked by something that knocks him out. When he comes to he must fight to understand a world where ghosts roam free and death and insanity live side-by-side. He will face unimaginable horrors where the only where to continue living is to fight. To discover the truth behind this powerful force, Sebastian must embark on a journey brimming with horror.

I'm more interested in the promises of puzzles, traps, limited resources etc. Are they in the original Japanese text too, or were they mistranslated (noooooooo)?

Gbraga

You're loved and appreciated

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm more interested in the promises of puzzles, traps, limited resources etc. Are they in the original Japanese text too, or were they mistranslated (noooooooo)?

This one I can comment on, there is definitely a blurb talking about limited resources, traps, enemies, and the like. This is semi-rough as his English is very limited, but I tried to confirm a few things and one I wanted to make sure was just that, and making sure that was what it said.

Endo Punk

Sweet! Next Gen version it is.

Live action trailer was pretty creepy but screens look amazing. I hope Mikami doesn't compromise his vision in any way because this looks like it will be something very special. I may finally get over Silent Hill and RE.

Neiteio

Holy shit just watched the live-action trailer.

Don't let the fact it's live-action deter you. It gives us a great view of several monsters in the game (including what's inside the safe on Safe-head)...

JPKellams

This one I can comment on, there is definitely a blurb talking about limited resources, traps, enemies, and the like. This is semi-rough as his English is very limited, but I tried to confirm a few things and one I wanted to make sure was just that, and making sure that was what it said.

Yeah, the rest of that is pretty accurate to the Japanese... I'm too tired from work to translate the whole thing.

Cool note that you missed about how the player can turn the traps against enemies. Maybe explains the barb wire thing in the trailer. :)

Nemesis_

I hope Seb's partner isn't a way to add co-op.

And I hope Seb's partner dies a gruesome and revolting death in the opening scenes.

Or maybe Seb's partner will be the safe head man?

OR MAYBE SEB'S PARTNER WILL BE A THINLY VEILED REFERENCE TO LEON

Everything about this game so far gives me a powerful boner.

I welcome a return to true survival horror. Even if this is more on the action-y side.

FINALLY having an alternative to Resident Evil is just amazing.

Anteater

Yeah, the rest of that is pretty accurate to the Japanese... I'm too tired from work to translate the whole thing.

Cool note that you missed about how the player can turn the traps against enemies. Maybe explains the barb wire thing in the trailer. :)

this sounds like the best thing ever

Every time you turn around the textures have to reload, if you play with high mouse sense like me and actually try to treat it like an ID game you are constantly looking at textures popping in and being missing.
The gameplay of rage was crap too if you ignore the graphics problems, first shot has random spread ? It felt like I was playing mass effect instead of an ID game. What a fuckup to such a fundamental part of a game.

Fool me once...

This was not my experience on my PC although my graphics card has 3 gigs of ram and I tweaked the game to use it. Texture compression was the main issue, but so long as the environments are smaller and they compress the pc assets more sensibly even that can be rectified.

Neiteio

Oh, cool detail! I loved this "survival" aspect in BioShock 1 and 2 (turning the environment against your foes) and I could see it working well in a survival horror game.

Also, the monsters are more or less what I expected from all of the art (for this game or otherwise) that was coming out of Tango's website. Lots of hybrid monsters -- even the double-face creatures we speculated about based on the art. So cool to see it pan out as expected!

D-e-f-

Banned
Wii U next gen? Well that's just reaching. They would've announced it if it was actually being developed.

mj-laughing.gif

No reason to get into this trolling here but just to be clear, they could have also announced PS4 but instead grouped that with next gen platforms.

Please leave the lol-WiiU talk in all the lol-WiiU threads.

Gbraga

Resident Evil.

Resident Evil 4.

God Hand.

Vanquish.

Mikami is a god among videogame designers. This game is gonna be so fucking good ^_^

You forgot Aladdin and Goof Troop.

This is pretty amazing.

RedSwirl

vv6Mfzl.gif

So this is going to be the first next-gen idTech 5 game. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the concept artist who did the environments for REmake and RE4 is also working on this game? If so, just imagine that person being able to use megatextures...

Holy shit! HOLY SHIT!!!

If that's entirely accurate, this is going to be amazing. The hallucination mechanic from ED is most welcome and I'm drooling uncontrollably at the info about survival, limited resources and actually trying to convey a sense of vulnerability instead of being an unstoppable beast who just mows down everyone and everything.

Please let this info be accurate.

Top Bottom