• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

yeah, i may be mistaken. i know they said Ikumi Nakamura back when it was just project zwei, maybe it's changed.

I think every official staff listing we've seen so far credits Mikami as the executive director and Nakamura as the director. However, Nakamura herself (on Twitter, and admittedly in not-so-great English) as well as a Bethesda representative (on this forum) have both said that Mikami is the director, so it's kind of unclear.

Nags

Banned
hjkm6bL.jpg

No problem guys, I fixed it!

Now that's more like it!

Heck, the cleaner versions of Silent Hill in later games really took the horror away.

I think you're confusing out of date graphics with art direction that you don't really like. :p

Downpour was pretty "dirty," in fact the otherworlds are littered with those elements. The graphics left plenty to be desired, but the art direction was very good with the exception of the enemy designs.

I know what you're trying to say, but I haven't played a version of Silent Hill that I would call "clean" by any stretch of the imagination. The out of date visuals in the first game isn't what gives it that appeal, but rather how nasty the visual and audio design is.

I hope there is some good action moments but also some very slow and vulnerable moments as well. I'd one day love to see a terrifying Dark Souls-esq horror title one day.

I hope there is some good action moments but also some very slow and vulnerable moments as well. I'd one day love to see a terrifying Dark Souls-esq horror title one day.

I think it's pretty clear what to expect: action gameplay mixed with incredible atmosphere and tension, ala the village section of RE4 but jacked up to the nth degree. It definitely looks like a much scarier game than RE4, but action and horror can be blended quite nicely, it's just rarely ever done correctly. The village section in RE4 at night was amazing, and it's a shame that the game peaked right there atmospherically and never recovered. Hopefully this game is mostly like that and doesn't turn into Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

synce

Hmm I'm still very skeptical even if it is Mikami. He put his name on Shadows of the Damned and that was probably one of the worst games this gen. I'll reserve final judgment until seeing a gameplay video

Jac_Solar

Looks great. I wonder if there will be some sort of time travel element to this, though, which would not be so great. Just some speculation based on the images -- the cop cars pic looks modern dayish, while the other pictures of the main character looks 1940ish.

Uses the ID Tech 5. They say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

Than any game to date? The only released game that used ID tech 5 is Rage.

RE 4 but actually scary would be nice. I hope there isn't a huge variety of weapons or as much of a focus on it which throws off the atmosphere.

Meier

Looks great. Kind of sad that a game that looks very much in line with RE4 isn't on a Nintendo system though seemingly. The Cube really made the series relevant again.

woxel1

Just found out a good friend of mine Mick Ignis performed the "reborn girl" seen at the end of the trailer. Gruesome!

Being Bethesda the publisher it's quite possibly the reason for no Wii U version. It's no secret that Todd Howard has somewhat of a bias against Nintendo.

Lime

People do know that other people than Mikami is responsible for this game, right? Some comments in this thread reminded me of this:

Xqk9ENb.jpg

Nemesis_

I think you're confusing out of date graphics with art direction that you don't really like. :p

Downpour was pretty "dirty," in fact the otherworlds are littered with those elements. The graphics left plenty to be desired, but the art direction was very good with the exception of the enemy designs.

I know what you're trying to say, but I haven't played a version of Silent Hill that I would call "clean" by any stretch of the imagination. The out of date visuals in the first game isn't what gives it that appeal, but rather how nasty the visual and audio design is.

I totally forgot about Downpour, I was kind of referring to Homecoming and Homecoming only >_>

Bethesda are already selling merchandise.

I fucking love that artwork. It's so perfect.

News Bot

Banned
People do know that other people than Mikami is responsible for this game, right? Some comments in this thread reminded me of this:

Xqk9ENb.jpg

I've been saying this for years. It was certainly the case between 1996-2003. I don't know how involved Mikami is these days, though.

Kojima would be an example of someone who genuinely is heavily responsible.

Wow, what a striking revelation. Game turned out to use iD5 engine which is an extreme departure from the UE3 the claimed a while back. Excellent, now he can use da mega-textures to up the art/environment aesthetic.

But since it uses id5, will it run in 60fps? If not, I can see why they can introduce a new "lighting" system which works for me hopefully without frame-rate hitches.

They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

Who specifically said this will "redefine horror"? Because they've opened themselves to a lot of expectations.

Xqk9ENb.jpg

Which explains Epic Mickey.

Lime

Totally agreed - the environmental art and even level design in Downpour were really great. Lots of attention to detail and lots of complexity adding to the atmosphere. I definitely thought it was one of the game's strongest points.

Just found out a good friend of mine Mick Ignis performed the "reborn girl" seen at the end of the trailer. Gruesome!
That's awesome! He did a good job.

It'd be cool if they did a series of webisodes or something before release, like the Alan Wake videos.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Xqk9ENb.jpg
You have to give a game a face. And since the game director is the one who decides what of the created stuff will make it into the game it's his face. Deal with it.

Jawmuncher

Still hoping a gameplay trailer comes soon enough. Keeping Air II as the song however would be nice. Also is it just me or does cube head seem like hell be a equivalent to a chase type enemy like we saw with nemesis?

With all that said I'm hyped.

Nemesis_

Wii was profitable and yet Todd Howard called a kid's toy and didn't supported it.

See now this kind of shit is stupid. :/ Depressing that people in these positions have these attitudes.

Still hoping a gameplay trailer comes soon enough. Keeping Air II as the song however would be nice. Also is it just me or does cube head seem like hell be a equivalent to a chase type enemy like we saw with nemesis?

I hope they somehow play on the fact that having a heavy safe on your head would do all sorts of horrific things to your neck

>_>

Is it weird I thought about both that and the sounds it would make as it chased after you?

News Bot

Banned
You have to give a game a face. And since the game director is the one who decides what of the created stuff will make it into the game it's his face. Deal with it.

This varies quite liberally honestly. Many directors get shot down or even flat-out ignored by their team. I don't think Mikami is one of those, though. His team are pretty dedicated to him, to the point where they left CAPCOM to follow him.

Xqk9ENb.jpg

This is just life. Can you tell me the name of the cinematographer on Life of Pi or Inception without googling? Or the individuals who helped animate Akira?

For decades society has had an obsession with putting a face on something, and in all forms of visual/interactive entertainment that's the director, i.e. the leader of the operation.

Neiteio

That's a safe on his head, not a cube! It opens in the live-action trailer and unleashes lots of freaky fleshy shit. :O

But yeah, I'm hoping he'll be a stalker type. Also, I really dig the logo art with the barbwire-wrapped brain and the inverted church for a brain stem. Reminds me a lot of the logo to Cabin in the Woods -- an excellent meta-commentary on the horror film genre, btw.

Jawmuncher

Yes. This is a dream game for me right now. I already have little faith in consumers in this industry right now but if this flops then...fuck everything

Bethesda is usually pretty good about advertising. So long as this gets advertising dollars similar to dishonored it'll take off.
Playing the horror aspect and how there hasn't been any real scary games of late would be a good route to go do advertising as well.

Riposte

Looks neat. Trailer kind of sucks, but the enemy design is eye catching. I wonder what the mechanics will be like. I think I see a sneak-mechanic being used, but who knows about mobility in combat. The mixing of concept art with in-game images is annoying.

I see this has inspired people to use that "survivor horror" gibberish again. Some engrish just refuse to die.

I've been saying this for years. It was certainly the case between 1996-2003. I don't know how involved Mikami is these days, though.

Kojima would be an example of someone who genuinely is heavily responsible.

I don't know if you've seen it, but your comments provoked a very negative reaction from JP of Platinum in the thread leading up to this one.

Jawmuncher

I hope they somehow play on the fact that having a heavy safe on your head would do all sorts of horrific things to your neck

>_>

Is it weird I thought about both that and the sounds it would make as it chased after you?

I'm hoping if he is a stalker type enemy that he has a iconic sound to go with him. Much like the chainsaws in RE4.

That's a safe on his head, not a cube! It opens in the live-action trailer and unleashes lots of freaky fleshy shit. :O

But yeah, I'm hoping he'll be a stalker type.

I saw the trailer on my iphone so I was a bit lost on what the safe actually was. Went the safe route and just said cube.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is just life. Can you tell me the cinematographer on Life of Pi or Inception without googling? Or the individuals who helped animate Akira?

For decades society has had an obsession with putting a face on something, and in all forms of visual/interactive entertainment that's the director, i.e. the leader of the operation.
I can.

I mean, the notable ones, not all of them. This only works when you're an animation dork like me, though.

Nemesis_

A little bit off topic, but does anyone find that horror games are great to play with friends? so many of my friends all love sitting in while I play a good horrible game, and he/she usually gets really in to the story and loves the scares.

It's almost like watching a movie with friends, and I just know that they'll love this when I show them the teaser.

Top Bottom