• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

JJD

WOW! Looks GREAT!!!

I'm so happy it's not an Unreal game! Nothing against the Unreal Engine but I always wanted to see what other devs. might be able to do with IDTech5, specially next gen.!

Mikami is really a master! The waiting for this one will be hard! =D

nikos

Why should the publisher matter in regards to your enjoyment of the game?

They just distribute the copies..they don't tell Mikami what to do and what not to do with the game.

It's the same as not shopping at stores that carry certain brands you aren't into, or not paying attention to record labels whose bands you don't like.

This might be a great game, but I personally have yet to enjoy anything Bethesda has published or even developed, except for a couple of their drag racing games in the 90s.

That trailer definitely didn't help. Would have been nice to see some game footage. Games that aren't entirely ready to be seen shouldn't be announced IMO. They should have waited until Monday.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hopefully proper skin texture and model damage is finally implemented.

You actually just reminded me, Resident Evil lost the model damage element after RE4. I wonder if this game will bring back the cool death scenes and violence. The team is full of talented but twisted sicko-geniuses, after all.

This looks like a day one. :)

Did you manage to type that with a straight face?
Why not? It definitely is his most criticized work, but there are a lot of people who appreciate it for what it is, including me.

The latest bits sound really promising, especially the limited resources and high amount of puzzles, which I was hoping for. The only thing that worries me is how the multiplayer (or was it just a rumor?) is implemented.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Why not? It definitely is his most criticized work, but there are a lot of people who appreciate it for what it is, including me.

The latest bits sound really promising, especially the limited resources and high amount of puzzles, which I was hoping for. The only thing that worries me is how the multiplayer (or was it just a rumor?) is implemented.

Rumor for now, it was based on a job-listing though. Now maybe it has nothing to do with this project and is related to something else, or preparing for the future, but they definitely had a job-listing related to multiplayer before this game's announcement a few months ago.

Squire

Banned
This gen just keeps on giving. So excited we are finally seeing a BIG BUDGET AAA, wait for it, SURVIVAL HORROR game by Mikami no less, a genre that has been seemingly dying this current gen.

Watch this be our Silent Hill 2 of the 360/PS3 generation.

LOL, if it weren't for the install bases this generation wouldn't be getting anything.

I'm sure the current-gen versions will be fine, but this is much more likely to be remembered as one of the first things to really shine in the next generation rather then some sort of swan song for current consoles.

News Bot

Banned
I don't know about his history, but he did work with Mikami on god hand and vanquish.

I'm likely wrong on those then. Not as much research on them which is entirely my blunder. At the time I based it on what I heard from former BIO developers and the fact that Hiroki Katoh (BH1 planner and CV director) was lead game designer. But since then I assume Mikami is a lot more involved than he was with the early BIO games, which is good.

I wonder if his director comment applies even to games outsourced to other companies. That was the case with BH0, Gun Survivor and CODE:Veronica, which were outsourced to TOSE who took no credit. Difficult to say who was responsible for what in those cases.

Trailer was way too long and had too much repetition to hold suspense, I think. But not bad, and Mikami certainly knows his survival horror, after all, so this should be awesome.

Hiltz

It's a relief that Bethesda isn't the developer, but Tango has a lot to prove. The game's concept looks awesome; its like Resident Evil meets Silent Hill. I'd probably be afraid to play it alone to be honest. It's just a shame this game has a 99.9% chance of not coming out for Wii U, but I can't blame them since Nintendo's given third parties a lot of excuses to not want to support it.

dan2026

1358525178770.jpg

Kyonashi

Hell of a lot of negativity in here... I can't remember the last proper horror game that hit the market. So I'm excited for this, looks like a healthy mix of j-horror, body horror and traditional gothic horror.

ArjanN

Looks like Resident Evil 4-2 basically.

LOL, if it weren't for the install bases this generation wouldn't be getting anything.

I'm sure the current-gen versions will be fine, but this is much more likely to be remembered as one of the first things to really shine in the next generation rather then some sort of swan song for current consoles.

Kinda this. I'm guessing that for all the cross-gen games the current-gen versions will be remembered as the version you probably shouldn't get.

Anteater

I'm likely wrong on those then. Not as much research on them which is entirely my blunder. At the time I based it on what I heard from former BIO developers and the fact that Hiroki Katoh (BH1 planner and CV director) was lead game designer. But since then I assume Mikami is a lot more involved than he was with the early BIO games, which is good.

I wonder if his director comment applies even to games outsourced to other companies. That was the case with BH0, Gun Survivor and CODE:Veronica, which were outsourced to TOSE who took no credit. Difficult to say who was responsible for what in those cases.

He didn't take credit for directorial role for those games though, if that's what you mean, other than CV as a producer:

8XLh5Ts.png

I hope they stick to what they are saying. The worst things about horror games is when there are a lack of brain tingling puzzles and scary in your face bad guys that you have to sneak or evade by. Horror games always seem too easy, so the premise and the story can be scary but the actual game play is lame enough to take the edge off.

RS4-

Where are the game breaking bugs. I expected the video to just crash and force me to sit through it again or reboot my pc.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm very glad Mikami is back directing. I figured that he'd pass this off to another guy to direct, but I suppose this was too good to pass up.

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

jack.gif

derFeef

I hope this has some real stealth-horror elements. I always wanted a game where there a re uspeakable horrors luriking or hunting you, but you are able to sneak, hide and stealth through them. And I don't mean "hide in the closet until the monster has passed by" like Amnesia - I mean you are being hunted down and need to use the envronment to not get seen and eaten alive.

Please!

Live action is awful and pointless why do so many keep doing them. Do some people actually like them and why?

I do like live action for games, but not for reveal trailers. Plus this was a bit too much "hit all horror flick buttons" ...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
He didn't take credit for directorial role for those games though, if that's what you mean, other than CV as a producer:

8XLh5Ts.png

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.

I like it. We'll have to wait to see some gameplay to confirm that this is REALLY survival horror - but Mikami's name is a good start.

Live action is awful and pointless why do so many keep doing them. Do some people actually like them and why?

In the end, is it any different from a pre-rendered trailer? Going by the screenshots, the clip captures the atmosphere of the game pretty well..

Neiteio

This game looks like the best bits of RE4 and REmake, with some of the zany style of Shadows of the Damned, and none of the Suda 51 jankiness. The IGN-exclusive hands-on impressions at 10 a.m. EST this Monday will help me determine whether this is indeed the case. Suffice it to say, I am so hyped that I can barely contain myself. THIS LOOKS AMAZING. And those new monsters are instant classics, Safe-head and Spider-woman, especially.

gibration

That live action trailer was terrifying! Judging by the screens, the game looks equally as terrifying. I'm in. Not enough survival horror games these days and for one to be directed by Mikami has me excited. Love the genre.

pantsmith

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.

I don't even understand this image.

a) what is the pattern? (that some games are good, and others are bad? and others are unlabeled?)

b) how could you consider God Hand or Dino Crisis "bad"?

Top Bottom