• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

zainetor

Banned
for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.

I dont know about pn03, but dino crisis and god hand are great games.

eot

Banned
The title made me think of Max Payne II (the darkness inside).
Now I want to go play that again dammit.

televator

Looks like Mikami is trolling Capcom.

Basically "The Evil Within" is another way to say "Resident Evil"

I got that too. It's like Mikami was like "Okay, last time we ended up with a nonsense title for my game, but this time I'll have the same title but in proper English."

Xpliskin

Man, they delivered hard.

Story note:
-I think the game takes place around the 80s or earlier, look at:
*the weapons
*the police cars
*enemies/sebastian's design
*gramohone in the stealth section screenshot
*lantern
*streets + village lighting

Gives it an amnesia facet on top of the RE4-2 vibe .

We've waited a lot but finally, the true sequel to RE4 is coming.

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

happy-happy-joy-joy-o.gif

OMG!! SURVIVAL HORROR IS BACK!! RESIDENT EVIL IS FINALLY BACK!!

OH GOD!! SO HAPPY!! I THINK I'M GONNA CRY!!

Nibel

Once again a game proves that an engine built by id is represented extremely well by dark games with gritty art

rvy

Banned
RE3 is awesome as balls too what the hell man

I'm rating the same titles he attributed a good/bad rating to. I don't have anything against RE3, or any RE for that matter.
P.N.03 is the only game that Mikami has directed which can be either good or bad, depending on the person who played it.

TedNindo

Everyone keeps mentioning Resident Evil 4, but really, this evokes Silent Hill way more to me.

The art style does. But this will very likely play more like RE4. Hopefully. I love Silent Hill. But gameplay is not its selling point.

I'm guessing it'll just mix more of the tension fueled RE4 gameplay up with slower scarier segments.

Azull

Looks interesting, although in the Live action trailer when safe head popped up all I could think was "Revenge of the mincraft" lol.

Hindle

Banned
I want the game to be way more then Resi 4 personally. Keep the tension that game had but I'd like them to add depth to the gameplay. It will be a shame if the game is a scripted roller coaster experience, much like a dead Space.

I'd like them to keep the level design of Remake or Resi 2.

frontovik

Banned
It looks interesting, but I'm not sure why Mikami has to insist on blending action and survival horror. The best example of the latter is Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and it would be nice to see more games like it.

well the screens pretty much make it look like re4 controls but set in silent hill

The art style does. But this will very likely play more like RE4. Hopefully. I love Silent Hill. But gameplay is not its selling point.

I'm guessing it'll just mix more of the tention fueled RE4 gameplay up with slower scarier segments.

I thought I was keeping close tabs on this game, but I just saw this screenshot for the first time...

...and yeah, that's pure Resi 4. Hmmm, I hope it doesn't end up being too action based.

It looks interesting, but I'm not sure why Mikami has to insist on blending action and survival horror. The best example of the latter is Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and it would be nice to see more games like it.

Probably because they want to make the game both mechanically satisfying and scary instead of just settling for the latter.

Nemesis_

It was nice, sure, but I still don't see the point when you're supposed to be advertising a game. Unless the graphics suck and they know it (bullshots aren't proper evidence).

If those concepts that are in that live action film are carried over to the game I am happy enough.

Graphics really don't make a game for me, Silent Hill 1 is still a very tense game and it looks fucking horrible.

Heck, the cleaner versions of Silent Hill in later games really took the horror away.

eso76

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.

Ah, I see the 'pattern' now.
It only takes games he directed into account and it's good/bad/good..
But it's still wrong because there's no bad game on that list

Top Bottom