• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

-It seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

KlRRIXM.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

Sanity Effects finally making a comeback. I can't begin to describe how happy this news makes me.

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

B0wld.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, definitely getting some RE4 vibes here! Awesome!!!

RPGCrazied

Interesting. Glad there will be a PS3 version. Not getting a next gen console for a long time. Big RE fan, so this is an instant buy.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark...

starting to sound good - i already want to protect this poor guy :) ...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Already seen the images, just seen the teaser. Oh boy, VERY interested in this.

jmizzal

I don't think so, I mean why wouldn't they just mention Wii U?

Then again why wouldn't they just mention PS4 as well?

I should stop inspiring false hope

Lol thats what i'm saying they didnt say PS4 and Nex gen systems they only said next gen systems

Sanity Effects finally making a comeback. I can't begin to describe how happy this news makes me.
I couldn't agree more! Hopefully it's not quite as 'game' as Eternal Darkness though. I don't want a sanity meter telling me when weird shit is going to happen. ED caught me out more than a few times, but I feel if they can make it more seamless/organic in this,it could be incredible.

Biohazard is a thematically fitting name. I like it.

Resident Evil is dumb and I only use it out of tradition but I really shouldn't.

All I ever think of when I read Biohazard is the band for some reason. Plus, the name gives away too much of the mystery in the original's plot, where it is eventually revealed that it's all biotech-based sci-fi goofiness instead of something unknowable in a fringy supernatural way. That mystery of the threat's origins in the early part of BH1/RE1 was the best part of anything the series has ever produced since, in terms of storytelling. Resident Evil only fit the first one since it was based around a single and smaller location, losing its meaning once RE2 and the rest released and focused on large, sprawling, half-globetrotting action-movie epics.

Resident evil is an amazing name. It makes a lot of sense and it almost seems Shinji Mikami is trying to get the same message across with the title the Evil within.
Only made sense to me with the first game, but I like the more literary-sounding title of this one, even if it's a bit generic. The title for this new one seems to fit the darker psychological aspect.

D-e-f-

Banned
Next Gen is PS4/720/WiiU right?

In the real world, yes. In fantasyland where the internet and publishers live, no.

I don't think so, I mean why wouldn't they just mention Wii U?

Then again why wouldn't they just mention PS4 as well?

I should stop inspiring false hope

How crazy would it be if what the one person earlier suggested came true and the next-gen version is Nextbox exclusive for some incredibly dumb reason lol.

Endesu

Name isn't the best but game looks very promising. I'm open-minded enough to accept horror mixed with action, so I don't really have an issue with controls or anything.

Day 1.

DatDude

Banned
This gen just keeps on giving. So excited we are finally seeing a BIG BUDGET AAA, wait for it, SURVIVAL HORROR game by Mikami no less, a genre that has been seemingly dying this current gen.

Watch this be our Silent Hill 2 of the 360/PS3 generation.

Hindle

Banned
Oh man imagine the boss fights the guy has planned. It also look to be a fight between Tango and From Software as to who does the best and most horrific enemy design.

Well, I was hyped anyway. The trailer is just annoying, and cheats us out of some genuine footage.

Regardless, I'm very excite for this, and will have it running in my PS4 (mmmm)

nikos

Looks like it's trying too hard, forced, tacky, cheesy. Not sure what the right word is, but definitely not scary. Good gameplay would get me interested but I don't have much hope considering it's Bethesda.

News Bot

Banned
I don't know much about how their development works so I can't contribute, but someone already posted about this in the other thread, and here's JP's comment on your opinion on mikami to clear a few things up:

Everything in that thread is based on things which happened 16 years ago (and stated by people who worked with Mikami). JP is basing his comments on Mikami at present, and Mikami himself said that a producer should handle money. That is why he wasn't involved in the development of BH2, in particular.

--Didn't you feel left out? to not be in the center of the development team?
M: Yes... A LOT. In my opinion, producer's main job is calculate money. Not game development. I'm the kind of person to tell the producer "leave the game development to us and just count money." So, I didn't tell them a lot.

I understand that Mikami is a director who oversees the designers who actually come up with the creature designs, scenarios, but all I'm saying is his role as a director is why the final product is what it is today

I realize he took a producer role after BH1 which is why I was only commenting on the games he directed. Which have been great ogames(story is hit or miss)

RE5 and RE6 show that all the creative creature designs, unique scenarios and gameplay in the world doesn't mean anything if you don't have a great director to bring it all together.

I wasn't denying that. I said he was a great director. I respect him highly and love his games, but I acknowledge (based on what I've heard from those who've worked with him) that he gets credited with stuff he simply has never done. That doesn't make him bad in any way. I can't speak for him as he is now since everything I know about him is from many years ago.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Looks like it's trying too hard, forced, tacky, cheesy. Not sure what the right word is, but definitely not scary. Good gameplay would get me interested but I don't have much hope considering it's Bethesda.

Bethesda is not developing the game, only publishing. It is being developed by Tango Gameworks, which is a company which is lead by Shinji Mikami, the father of Resident Evil (and he has a strong passion for film so it doesn't surprise me that elements in one of his games seem familiar, as film has always deeply inspired him and the team and direction of their projects), and includes talented members from old-Capcom, Platinum Games, and Grasshopper Manufacture.

stktt

Banned

This is developed by Tango, not Bethesda Studios.

rvy

Banned

It's not Bethesda, lol. It's Tango's first game.

Uh, Bethesda's not making it. Tango is.

This game sounds cool, definitely gonna keep an eye on it. Not crazy about horror games, but I have faith in Mikami.

Jhoan

I like the title of the game. It sounds like the name of a horror movie title. The only thing that's missing is say "Shinji Mikami in [Title of game]" but that would probably take away from the logo. It sounds like a cross between Resident Evil 4 mixed with Eternal Darkness with a dash of Silent Hill and a dash of Dark Souls in that deaths will probably be entirely the player's fault.

The visuals look a bit rough so far, but they look great. The creature design for that butcher with the safe for a head looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to more details. It's definitely on my radar.

And is it just me or am I seeing a trend lately with games using that font that's becoming increasingly more popular?

nikos

Bethesda is not developing the game, only publishing. It is being developed by Tango Gameworks, which is a company which is lead by Shinji Mikami, the father of Resident Evil (and he has a strong passion for film so it doesn't surprise me that elements in one of his game seem familiar, as film has always deeply inspired him), and includes talented members from old-Capcom, Platinum Games, and Grasshopper Manufacture.

This is developed by Tango, not Bethesda Studios.

It's not Bethesda, lol. It's Tango's first game.

Uh, Bethesda's not making it. Tango is.

This game sounds cool, definitely gonna keep an eye on it. Not crazy about horror games, but I have faith in Mikami.

I realize that, but I can't think of any Bethesda published game that I've enjoyed. I'm still interested in seeing some gameplay.

Anteater

Everything in that thread is based on things which happened 16 years ago (and stated by people who worked with Mikami). JP is basing his comments on Mikami at present, and Mikami himself said that a producer should handle money. That is why he wasn't involved in the development of BH2, in particular.

I wasn't denying that. I said he was a great director. I respect him highly and love his games, but I acknowledge (based on what I've heard from those who've worked with him) that he gets credited with stuff he simply has never done. That doesn't make him bad in any way. I can't speak for him as he is now since everything I know about him is from many years ago.

Then he's probably commenting on your post about vanquish and god hand in particular.

DatDude

Banned
I realize that, but I can't think of any Bethesda published game that I've enjoyed. I'm still interested in seeing some gameplay.

Why should the publisher matter in regards to your enjoyment of the game?

They just distribute the copies..they don't tell Mikami what to do and what not to do with the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Silent Hill is that you??

I waited so long, through so many shitty games...

Have you finally come back to me?

Babe, Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill decided they didn't like the state of horror too much, so they decided its 'bout time for them to have a baby. They have your Ganado 2.0s and Safeheads, hell, they combined the police and psychological horror aspect, combined a mansion with a dark force. I be willing to bet you'll be saving at red-glowing symbols of typewriters on the wall.

Hell, they mighta' had a threesome with Eternal Darkness. Whatuver' makes the fans happy.

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

This sounds amazing.

I'm ready for Mikami to redefine survival horror again. Hopefully this time, I won't lead to a bunch of survival action games.

Top Bottom