• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The falsity of religion & God(s) is so self evident, m'lady

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can he be real when this thread's not real?

mind_blown.gif

Do you believe that there was something that gave rise to the creation of the universe? i.e, something outside our concept of time?

If you do, then the primary difference between you and a religious person is that he or she thinks that the something was in fact someone -- that is, a sentient being.

It's a leap, but it's a smaller one than you're giving credit to.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
while your argument is horrible OP, I do understand your emotion.
When I hear some god fearing american rich dude thanking god in some speech about how rich he is, I always think 'liar' by default. I actually don't think most well adjusted adult people truly believe in god, they just say they do to fit in. I really don't believe most of those god thanking people actually go home and try to have a discussion with god when they're by themselves. I don't think they truly 'feel' a supernatural presence either, even though that seems to be something you'll 'receive' one day if you're a christian.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Wow, such great logic. It's been proven he's not real but you have no proof?

Well, the literal God of the Bible has been proven false in a myriad of ways. So the OP's argument could be made with respect to Creationists and Bible literalists at least.

I wanted to write a well formed argument for why religions are false and why the idea that there is a god - especially one who gives a shit about us - is ridiculous but I'd be restating what smarter people have written for thousands of years now.

Every well thought out question is met with "it's faith" or "god works works in mysterious ways" or some god of the gaps which ultimately achieves nothing. Wtf is that? Faith is not a virtue, it doesn't make your religion true, and it's a terrible excuse to believe some really obvious bullshit. If god is so mysterious, how the fuck are you able to attribute to so many characteristics to him/her?

How the hell do people not see the history of religion and how gods and religion have lost every battle they've fought against science and reason and are now being forced into an ever smaller gap in our knowledge, why do that? Why not just let go?

Sorry if I'm a little too enthusiastic but I've just spent two hours talking to a person who apparently sees all the contradictions of religion but choose to have "faith".

I wanted to write a well formed argument for why religions are false and why the idea that there is a god - especially one who gives a shit about us - is ridiculous but I'd be restating what smarter people have written for thousands of years now.

Every well thought out question is met with "it's faith" or "god works works in mysterious ways" or some god of the gaps which ultimately achieves nothing. Wtf is that? Faith is not a virtue, it doesn't make your religion true, and it's a terrible excuse to believe some really obvious bullshit. If god is so mysterious, how the fuck are you able to attribute to so many characteristics to him/her?

How the hell do people not see the history of religion and how gods and religion have lost every battle they've fought against science and reason and are now being forced into an ever smaller gap in our knowledge, why do that? Why not just let go?

Sorry if I'm a little too enthusiastic but I've just spent two hours talking to a person who apparently sees all the contradictions of religion but choose to have "faith".

Kinda the definition of faith

supergiz

I had almost posted a 5 paragraph rant that would have been extremely risky to post. The PC version is I agree with the OP. It frustrates me to no end that I have to be careful what I say because of what ppl "believe". If they kept it to themselves I wouldn't have a problem with it but I have to be surrounded by it all the time.

When I hear some god fearing american rich dude thanking god in some speech about how rich he is, I always think 'liar' by default. I actually don't think most well adjusted adult people truly believe in god, they just say they do to fit in. I really don't believe most of those god thanking people actually go home and try to have a discussion with god when they're by themselves. I don't think they truly 'feel' a supernatural presence either, even though that seems to be something you'll 'receive' one day if you're a christian.
Our maybe you're full of shit and projecting your views on others.

It really is. I find it a really difficult to comprehend how people can have an hour long conversation on the topic of whether Half Life 3 exists or not, it's an open and shut case.

Whether it's the nature and the abilities of Gabe Newell or the ridiculous claims, promises and demands of the fans, it all screams bullshit. It's like the worlds dumbest snake oil salesman. It's so blatantly not true.

The question "is Half Life 3 real?" should not be asked any more, it's been settled a long time ago. Unless, Gabe himself decides to join the debate, there's nothing left to say at this point which could ever make a case for its existence.

I guess I understand there my be some very good reasons in our gaming and cultural history for the existence of Half Life 3 and that some may even find it useful to cope with the harshness of the world. It's still just so... obviously false.

It really is. I find it a really difficult to comprehend how people can have an hour long conversation on the topic of whether god exists or not, it's an open and shut case.

Whether it's the nature and the abilities of gods or the ridiculous claims, promises and demands of religions, it all screams bullshit. It's like the worlds dumbest snake oil salesman. It's so blatantly not true.

The question "is god real?" should not be asked any more, it's been settled a long time ago. Unless, God himself decides to join the debate, there's nothing left to say at this point which could ever make a case for his/her existence.

I guess I understand there my be some very good reasons in our evolutionary and cultural history for the existence of religion and that some may even find it useful to cope with the harshness of the world. It's still just so... obviously false.

I don't know OP. I see a few problems in your observations. To me the truth of God is so self evident. Hear me out!

It really is. I find it a really difficult to comprehend how people can have an hour long conversation on the topic of whether god exists or not, it's an open and shut case.

Whether it's the nature and the abilities of gods or the spiritual miracles of religions, it all screams truth. It's like the worlds greatest achievement. It's so blatantly true.

The question "is god real?" should not be asked any more, it's been settled a long time ago. Unless, a dead, ceased to exist atheist himself decides to join the debate, there's nothing left to say at this point which could ever break a case for God's existence.

I guess I understand there my be some very good reasons in our evolutionary and cultural history for the existence of religion and that some may even find it useful to cope with the harshness of the world, and It's still just so... obviously true.

I think you will find my rebuttal, like the Big Show's contract, is iron clad.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm glad that you know so much and can smugly look down upon the majority of Earth's population.

I'll bake a cake, just for you.

happypup

I don't know, my dad is deep into his religion. He prays for hours in his room sometimes. He believes he has a personal connection with God that cannot be expressed in words. He is for lack of a better word a true believer. Now this hasn't made his life any better, made him any less angry or pessimistic, but it gives him something to do in his old age.

I of course cannot confirm his unexplainable experiences as something genuine or a result of our tricksy minds, but I cannot fault him for believing them genuine.

I do wish he wouldn't claim that every newly elected Democrat was the Anti-Christ though. It just gets old after a while

It really is. I find it a really difficult to comprehend how people can have an hour long conversation on the topic of whether Half Life 3 exists or not, it's an open and shut case.

Whether it's the nature and the abilities of Gabe Newell or the ridiculous claims, promises and demands of the fans, it all screams bullshit. It's like the worlds dumbest snake oil salesman. It's so blatantly not true.

The question "is Half Life 3 real?" should not be asked any more, it's been settled a long time ago. Unless, Gabe himself decides to join the debate, there's nothing left to say at this point which could ever make a case for its existence.

I guess I understand there my be some very good reasons in our gaming and cultural history for the existence of Half Life 3 and that some may even find it useful to cope with the harshness of the world. It's still just so... obviously false.
Lol. Is this gonna become the neogaf meme like "I know Japanese culture, and shame is a big part of it"?

RELAYER

Banned

Whether it's the nature and the abilities of gods or the ridiculous claims, promises and demands of religions, it all screams bullshit. It's like the worlds dumbest snake oil salesman. It's so blatantly not true.

The question "is god real?" should not be asked any more, it's been settled a long time ago. Unless, God himself decides to join the debate, there's nothing left to say at this point which could ever make a case for his/her existence.

I guess I understand there my be some very good reasons in our evolutionary and cultural history for the existence of religion and that some may even find it useful to cope with the harshness of the world. It's still just so... obviously false.

lal

drop 5 hits of acid and get back to me

Some people are actually better for having religion in their lives. Some people need that hope or that belief. It gives them strength or makes them better people. If they aren't doing anyone harm what do you care if at then end it doesn't matter? Why are you trying to so hard to prove yourself to somebody? You are being as hypocritical as religious nuts trying to tell people how to live their lives and what to believe. Believe it or not what you have is also a belief and you don't have it all figured out. I say this as an atheist.

Fink

My philosophy teach told us that practicing religion might be a better gamble than not practicing because the benefits outweigh the costs

i.e. for Christians: don't sin during life on Earth = get eternal happiness

Makes sense except after 11 years of Catholic school I decided against it b/c I thought the sins were kind of messed up (and I had one too many teachers tell me that animals don't go to heaven, how the heck would they even know that?) so idk how I can trust anything a person / book tells me

Africanus

You can't know he doesn't exist any more than someone can know he does exist
This is a terrible argument regardless of the OP's post.
Given the parameters of what would be needed for a Christian God to exist, namely, evidence of his freeing of Israelite slaves, a great deluge wiping out all but 8 of humanity, literal fire and sulfur raining from the heavens, I feel very confidently that since all three (And these are simply three I have chosen) have been disproven by historians and scientists, such a God could not exist.

Also there is the point that by practicing your belief, you are ignoring the 1000s of other possible deities.

Now, ignoring Christianity, if we go into other interpretations of God (Giving the ability to an illiterate man to write spontaneously, turning humans into animals) it's not too hard to come to the same conclusion.

Of course there is always the simple "Who created God" or Epicurus able and willing quote but I digress.

Regarding the OP, I feel he was a bit needlessly antagonistic, but I find people repeating that foolish "Fedora" tripe even more annoying.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Doesn't matter if it's real or not. People gotta find meaning in life somehow. It's not for me but as long as you don't expect others to share your worldview, it's fine by me.

I don't know, my dad is deep into his religion. He prays for hours in his room sometimes. He believes he has a personal connection with God that cannot be expressed in words. He is for lack of a better word a true believer. Now this hasn't made his life any better, made him any less angry or pessimistic, but it gives him something to do in his old age.

I of course cannot confirm his unexplainable experiences as something genuine or a result of our tricksy minds, but I cannot fault him for believing them genuine.

I do wish he wouldn't claim that every newly elected Democrat was the Anti-Christ though. It just gets old after a while

Prayer and meditation will get you 'high' in a way that's probably really good for you, I know meditation is supposed to improve cortical thickness associated with aging, so it's like a decent hobby.

Can I just say this type of thread is why I'm so glad I didn't go to forums when I was a teenager. I would have unironically been posting shit like this constantly.

I find this obsession with proving to religious people that God isn't real kind of off base from my own religious experience. I mean, even when I was a little bit religious up until two or three years ago (Mainline Protestant, and I don't count out religion becoming a bigger part of my life again in the future), I never thought whether or not there was a literal, supernatural God to be that relevant to how I understood religion's role in my life. The oftentimes complex ethical implications of biblical scripture (I won't even say lessons because I don't really consider the Bible to be too didactic of a book if read from a certain theological perspective of God being a character that changes over time and by perspective) were always the main draw for me. Well, that and being part of a community, flawed as it was (although not really that flawed compared to some other American institutions) that actually tried to make some kind of spiritual peace ethical sense of the world outside work, friends and family.

Obviously, though, I understand why many people on here would have a rather antagonistic "gonna prove that all these guys are stupid" orientation toward religion. I realize my experience with religion was somewhat out of the norm in that we as kids were actually encouraged to think about shit and constantly question our beliefs.

Nothing much else to say about the topic. Just now realizing that I almost never see people with the same outlook as religion as me on GAF even though I know several people like me in real life.

belmonkey

I'm not a believer myself, but I feel that Satan could use some more love; he seems less unworthy of worship than god, in my edgy opinion.

Sch1sm

Similar to how we attribute the adjective, "salty" to gaffers regularly based on what they've posted, you can do that with the word of God in a Holy book. Why is that difficult to understand?

I dunno about other books so much, but in the Qur'an at least, nothing is contradictory. That is, in the sense of abrogation. The newer verse is what you go by, the older one is replaced by the new one as times changed over the course of the final prophet's lifetime. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom