• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Nice twist.

Better than 7, except the world war zombie car nonsense. Last bit dragged a bit too much as well with the sub. Kid should've been named Han

Where's my Rock and Statham movie.

hamchan

Nice twist.

Better than 7, except the world war zombie car nonsense. Last bit dragged a bit too much as well with the sub. Kid should've been named Han

Where's my Rock and Statham movie.

Damn that would have been brutal from Dom with Statham sitting at the table.

Hobbs tanking everything and Declared having a fight scene while babysitting is so stupid that it goes all the way around to fun again which is basically the F&F motto at this point

Jubbe

I think the opening of the movie is a complete mess. The pacing is all over the place. The Hobbs soccer coach scene feels like it goes on for 5 minutes too long making the same joke (haha big guy, little girls). Then they just cut into the middle of the Berlin heist with Ludacris murdering cops. The prison break scene was pretty good but then fell right into technobabble at the HQ. The Dom turn was ridiculous and the reveal didn't justify it.

Anyway, everything after they get to New York was good fun.

This was on par with 6, IMO.

Dom forgiving Deckard didn't sit well with me at first, but it makes sense in a way. Dom, for lack of a better term, is very Christ-like.

I might see it again.

Does Luke Evans make any type of appearance in this one? I know he was in pretty rough shape last time we saw him. But I liked his character more than Statham's; so it'd be cool to see him make a return.

Renpatsu

Does Luke Evans make any type of appearance in this one? I know he was in pretty rough shape last time we saw him. But I liked his character more than Statham's; so it'd be cool to see him make a return.
The Shaw family is integral to the resolution of the plot.

kai3345

Banned
it was fun, but god damn it went entirely up its own ass with the series lore, and im saying this as a big fan of the whole series.

Man it felt off that Dom didn't tell Hobbs about Elena.

Yeah in retrospect, everything RE: Elena and the twist doesn't make that much sense

The timeline doesn't fit unless that kid is like 2-3 years old
She didn't really have much of an arc in 6/7, so her bit ending like this was annoying
Didn't tell Hobbs (maybe deleted scene)

it was fun, but god damn it went entirely up its own ass with the series lore, and im saying this as a big fan of the whole series.

This is my Marvel/Star Wars

kai3345

Banned
the other movies, while connected to the "fast mythos" at large, were mostly standalone. apart from the main cast themselves and then Shaw's brother being the villain in 7, the movies can be enjoyed mostly on their own. this movie relies SO MUCH on the previous entries that it gets bogged down in explaining what everything is to someone who might be a first time viewer.

Yeah if they're doing a 9 they gotta square the Han thing once and for all

I am more curious how they will try to explain squeezing Luke Evans on the team. If they go there.

But I would love to see a scene of Helen Mirren and Kurt Russell playing off each other to be in charge of this crew.

I don't remember what Baby Shaw did that's as irredeemable as Deckard murdering Han tbh

Brainwash Letty and turn her against family.

Although I see them saying Shaw saving lil Brian's life will square them, and that Shaw was doing it all for family.

I also want to see Mirren interact with the crew more. Roman talking shit about her, asking who this hot older chick is, and her putting him in his place.

Skunkers

Just saw it and loved it. In the spirit of the past 4 movies, the action and plot continue to ramp up to more and more insane levels; but I think I speak for most when I say, we're all onboard at this point. I think the best thing about the plot in this film is that it really, really pulls a lot of plot strings together and links all the movies together. All of those films now tie together in a way where characters and outright plot threads going back several films have brought us to this point.

Theron was hot fire and pretty easily the best and most compelling villain the series has had to offer. Her performance really makes me excited for the next film to really see where all this goes. It also has to be said that Statham nearly stole the movie, we knew he was a badass; but through his charisma and connection to Hobbs, he became an extremely likable character here. It's admittedly a stretch since he killed Han to actually have the Shaws join the family, but they do at least provide a tenuous justification... and like I said, I think we're all onboard for the ride at this point.

hamchan

I don't remember what Baby Shaw did that's as irredeemable as Deckard murdering Han tbh

Not much tbh. Really, Baby Shaw was just running his own heist crew, the same thing Dom was doing. Sure he was using amnesiac Letty as part of his crew but that's actually pretty merciful considering he could have had her killed when she was revealed to be a snitch in 4.

Hell of a ride. More rock this time around then 7 and that definitely made it better

Still can't believe they were cool with breaking bread with the dude who killed Han, just NBD I guess. Haha
And of course love the fact they're in the arctic circle in light jackets

Didn't quite feel the same without Paul walker though. Interested to see where this franchise goes from here

Pavaloo

WHAT A FILM

#rideordie

favourite scenes were the prison riot and statham on the plane with dom's kid. was really hoping the movie would end with Brian's first word being "family."

Jason Statham vs Jackie Chan. Both have to protect their respective babies while taking each other out.

Also, Han better be the next villain or something. Owen Shaw is responsible for Gisele's death and Deckard Shaw "killed" him.

Because family.

But seriously, Elena got stiffed so hard in this series.

She saved Brian and Mia's baby and she got a happy send off promotion from Hobbs in Furious 7. Fucking sad to see her go in this one.

Toothless

Luke Evans return was the best part of the entire movie. I was laughing so hard at that.

Legit will only see 9 if Han, Gisele, and Lucas Black are in it. Fuck Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot can make time to be in these again.

HiiiLife

Fully expecting to see cybernetic Han and Gisele in part 9. They're going to be the villains. Like Goldar and the Green Ranger. While Charlize is Rita.

hamchan

It did feel a bit weird that Elena as a character was just a vessel for Dom to have his progeny. What a coincidence that him and Letty were talking about having kids at the start and by the end they have one without any of the messy parts of actually being pregnant and giving birth. Dom not even telling Hobbs about Elena, on screen at least, adds to it feeling weird too.

I thought it was a big missed opportunity not bringing han back at the end.

The moment where Hobbs comes up to deckard with the records of his service and just that whole interaction screamed "i didnt really kill him" to me.

It would have justified and legitimized bringing the shaw brothers on the team AND it would have been a huge hype generator for the next movie.

Wazzy

Banned
Just got out of my showing. I preferred this to 7 but wow did they mishandle some of the storylines.

I really hate how they killed Elena off and then she barely gets acknowledged after. Hobbs and her were partners and we don't even get a reaction scene? Also I didn't really like the twist. I kept hoping the captive was Han or Gisele explaining why they weren't reunited with the team but instead it's the baby. :/

Overal the movie was still fun and I kind of love the shaw brothers on the plane but there's just parts that don't feel consistent with the story and characters.

I thought it was a big missed opportunity not bringing han back at the end.

The moment where Hobbs comes up to deckard with the records of his service and just that whole interaction screamed "i didnt really kill him" to me.

It would have justified and legitimized bringing the shaw brothers on the team AND it would have been a huge hype generator for the next movie.

All you need a a scene rewind that FF loves doing where Deckard starts walking away from the burning RX-7, pauses has a second thought and drags Han from the wreckage and leaves him on the street, leans in and tells him, "You're lucky I still have an once of honor running through my veins...disappear...for your own good, mate."

No one would fucking care and we would have Han back.

EDIT: HI WAZZ!

Wazzy

Banned
All you need a a scene rewind that FF loves doing where Deckard starts walking away from the burning RX-7, pauses has a second thought and drags Han from the wreckage and leaves him on the street, leans in and tells him, "You're lucky I still have an once of honor running through my veins...disappear...for your own good, mate."

No one would fucking care and we would have Han back.

EDIT: HI WAZZ!
DID YOU JUST GET OUT OF YOUR SCREENING?

Also give us Han and Gisele Fast 9 plsssss

Wazzy

Banned
The soundtrack for this one was soooo good. Another Fast soundtrack I need to own.
Yep. I sure did.

We may get Han back but Gal may be a bit too expensive now with her being Wonder Woman now.

:(
:(

I mean I'll accept Han(SEE NO BODY) but we need to make it the crew again and have Gisele back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom