• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Awesome Thread, I suck at fighting games (smash is the exception). With KI season 1 going free for gold and sf v coming out id really like to git gud (okay at least get to a point where I can last longer than 20 seconds in an online match) any tips on good or easy to learn starter characters in street fighter from those whove played the beta?

SephLuis

Subscribed.

I am a more experienced player in a number of fighters, but I want to go back to the competitive scene with SF V.

For that, a rival would be great. I need a SF V rival. I am in Brazil btw.

I can help people (in this case from anywhere) to understand the basica of any fighting game. Practical lessons really.

I got almost any available fighter on the ps3 and ps4, so if anyone wants to learn the basics by practicing, send me a pm

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can vouch for this heavily, I started out on Super SF4 and never really improved. Through training with a couple folks, I was able to get much better within the year I took the game seriously (which was USF4) and now instead of going 0-2 I go 4-2 on average now, which is great numbers, faring against evenly with some of the top players in the East Coast. I would have a mentee but I guess Cindi would count as mine lol, I'm open to playing matches with anyone when I'm on steam, just PM me and I'll add you.

Also, it won't be easy if you get into this, but it'll definitely be rewarding once you understand the flow of the game you are playing.

Hagi

I have SFIV on the PS4 that I'd like to learn but I'd really like to try Xrd on PC as well. I played a little in an arcade in Akihabara and it seemed fun.

I'm open to you being both my mentor and rival, Yams. :)

I have SFIV on the PS4 that I'd like to learn but I'd really like to try Xrd on PC. I played a little in an arcade in Akihabara and it seemed fun.

Pick a game and just dive in. But be cognizant. Come here and upload your matches so we can review them.

Additionally, regarding the use of training mode:

When frame data is not available, or you think you just need a visual indication of how +/- on hit/block something is, go into training mode in a mirror match and record the dummy to use whatever move you want to check out then hold up. Going back to controlling your character, let the dummy connect with their attack on hit/block then hold up. Whichever character jumps first has frame advantage (they jumped first, meaning they could have taken any other action first), the difference in height will give you an idea of how much. Some games have a 1-Guard Jump setting which makes this easier to check for advantage on block.

When practicing combos, make sure you also learn to reliably confirm into them. You don't want to go from your pressure to committing to an unsafe move without making sure it will connect, and relying on cancelling everytime into a safe special that would have also been your combo ender anyway will often kill your momentum and limit your general offense anyway.
Hit-confirm practice is what Random Guard is for. You generally need the ability to confirm off 2 light attacks. What you do is set the dummy to randomly block and input the 2-hit sequence, but only go into the rest of the combo if those 2 hits connected on hit. In a real match if you saw those 2 hits get blocked you'd want to go for something else like a throw, go back to blocking, another poke, general movement or whatever. The point is to recognize what actually happened when you went on offense and act accordingly.

If you're having execution issues, do turn on input display and look at it carefully. Look for any unnecessary or missing inputs. If everything is there but whatever you wanted didn't come out, you were most likely just too slow, but cleaning it all up is a proper first step before trying to do things faster, even if modern games tend to be more lenient with respect to that.

pizzacat

Banned
michael-jordan-laughs.gif
No need for that, opinions are opinions.

Besides we all know Rise of the Incarnates the best fighter out there

I havent played a Fighter with any regularity sine early SF4 and Blazeblue and my reaction time has only gotten worse so my Suck Factor is probably astronmically rusty. Subbing for SF V.

Are you the Ken? Good job.I thought you got a bit greedy there with the second super, but I can understand why you did it since the guy doesn't seem to respect you enough.
I usually abuse certain things if my opponent doesn't react if you can tech to save your life I'll grab you the whole round. SFV Ken feels like 3s Ken in terms of mobility I feel right at home now, SF4 Ken was stiff in comparison like I couldn't play tootsies like this in sf4 http://youtu.be/6OE3eVYXq-4
No need for that, opinions are opinions.

Nah I was just teasing him it's all good, smash folks are bros.

Rean

Thanks so much for making this thread. I got into fighting games and later into FGC stuff in general around 2011. Mainly I play Street Fighter 4, but I'm really waiting for SFV. I'd love to get pointers one my game in general though.

Hagi

Pick a game and just dive in. But be cognizant. Come here and upload your matches so we can review them.

I think I'm going to jump into IV because I really would like to get some good basic fundamentals down for V. Plus I've enjoyed watching the game for so long it'd be criminal to not try and get good at it myself.

Would have been nice to try it before it got zapped into the ether.

Warxard

Banned
I play USF4, DOA5LR, KOF98, KOF02, Killer Instinct, Melee, and Tekken Tag 2. If anyone's interested on learning the latter three games, I'd be glad to help with some practice games. :)

pizzacat

Banned
I think I'm going to jump into IV because I really would like to get some good basic fundamentals down for V. Plus I've enjoyed watching the game for so long it'd be criminal to not try and get good at it myself.

Would have been nice to try it before it got zapped into the ether.
It didn't satisfy as a gundam game or a fighting game.

The designs were out there

Amedo310

Additionally, regarding the use of training mode:

When frame data is not available, or you think you just need a visual indication of how +/- on hit/block something is, go into training mode in a mirror match and record the dummy to use whatever move you want to check out then hold up. Going back to controlling your character, let the dummy connect with their attack on hit/block then hold up. Whichever character jumps first has frame advantage (they jumped first, meaning they could have taken any other action first), the difference in height will give you an idea of how much. Some games have a 1-Guard Jump setting which makes this easier to check for advantage on block.

I can vouch for this. One of the best features in XIII's and 02um's training mode. It allowed me to find all the frame traps that's up on Dreamcancel wiki. In XIII's case, I would follow up with a attack following the first one, which is blocked. If the second attack hits the dummy while it is on the ground, then I would add the attack set-up to my list of frame traps and potential links.

ShinMaruku

I suggest the fellow gaffer USGBboydragon for advice on DOA5 and some other fighting games as he's a pro on those scenes always placing in the majors.

vulva

I saw someone saying that if you get good at SF4 it'll hurt you in SFV.

I think that's a lot of horseshit and not at all true. Look at someone like Arturo who doesn't really use alot of the bullshit found within SF4 and still places well. If you develop a strong game that doesn't depend on option selects within one title, those skills will translate to other games as well. It's great to understand and take advantage of what's within the systems of a game, but if you're just trying to start with fighting games then you'll have to be willing to let your first serious title be one that you develop organically within.

Like with SF4, at this point there's no real reason to try to become the absolute best tournament winning player at this stage, especially if you're new to the genre. Learning option selects and various other system exploits may get you some quick wins but those don't translate necessarily. Furthermore if you're just using an option select but not understanding when to use it, you'll just lose anyways.

That said if someone learns how spacing, whiff punishing, anti-airing, dealing with pressure on wake up etc in a pure sense, it really doesn't matter which game you're learning. You just need to be willing to be patient and let each aspect of a game develop as you grow to understand it.

The frame data in SF4 won't be the same as SF5 or it might not work the same in MKX but once you are able to develop an understanding of what frame data is with something to reference, you'll be able to understand how it differs in another title.

Understanding why option selects work and how they work is probably more important than learning specific option selects when you're first starting out. If you do that then you'll be able to even discover your own in new titles. You just need to take the time to understand how the games work before really going too deep in.

Kinda rambling and I probably offered nothing, but I just didn't want someone to think that learning SF4 now will hurt you in SF5. It's not what you learn but how you learn that matters in the formative stages.

Hagi

You're on the right track!

Add me to PS4 and we'll run a few games later tonight?

I won't be able to play tonight because it's so late (nearly 3am here) and I'm back to work today but I'll definitely add you so we can get some games in the future. Having people I can bounce my progress off would be really helpful I think.

It didn't satisfy as a gundam game or a fighting game.

The designs were out there

That's a shame I have some experience with EXVS so it would have cool to give it a go even it it fell short. Still holding out for PS4 Maxi Boost port.

What do you folks think about learning on a pad? do any of you play pad or are you on the stick train? I'd like to get a stick but man it's a big investment and doesn't seem like there's a lot of options on where to get one in the UK.

pizzacat

Banned
E6HKFJi.gif

USF4 tips: don't pick deejay
Omega DJ is great tho

Answer to the guy above about stick: it's whatever you feel as comfortable. People use ps1 controllers for gods sake. I didn't feel comfortable with a pad because shoryus and supers would happen when I didn't want them to. So I got a stick and practiced getting used to them by playing 2d platformers with it

I think that's a lot of horseshit and not at all true. Look at someone like Arturo who doesn't really use alot of the bullshit found within SF4 and still places well. If you develop a strong game that doesn't depend on option selects within one title, those skills will translate to other games as well. It's great to understand and take advantage of what's within the systems of a game, but if you're just trying to start with fighting games then you'll have to be willing to let your first serious title be one that you develop organically within.

Like with SF4, at this point there's no real reason to try to become the absolute best tournament winning player at this stage, especially if you're new to the genre. Learning option selects and various other system exploits may get you some quick wins but those don't translate necessarily. Furthermore if you're just using an option select but not understanding when to use it, you'll just lose anyways.

That said if someone learns how spacing, whiff punishing, anti-airing, dealing with pressure on wake up etc in a pure sense, it really doesn't matter which game you're learning. You just need to be willing to be patient and let each aspect of a game develop as you grow to understand it.

The frame data in SF4 won't be the same as SF5 or it might not work the same in MKX but once you are able to develop an understanding of what frame data is with something to reference, you'll be able to understand how it differs in another title.

Understanding why option selects work and how they work is probably more important than learning specific option selects when you're first starting out. If you do that then you'll be able to even discover your own in new titles. You just need to take the time to understand how the games work before really going too deep in.

Kinda rambling and I probably offered nothing, but I just didn't want someone to think that learning SF4 now will hurt you in SF5. It's not what you learn but how you learn that matters in the formative stages.

I play all SF games the same and it doesn't hurt you, your skills translate easier from game to game. While I find 4 a bit slow it doesn't affect you going forward to 5

God, this thread hurts. I miss playing against other people. No arcades near me, none of my friends play fighters these days, my girlfriend and kids don't play them, and I haven't seen many online fighters that aren't saddled with lag and dropped connections.

I envy every one of you that has those things.

BokehKing

Banned
I'll be subbing as well, once they introduced all new mechanics in SF3 I've been lost

blaz blue? It's like the equivalent to a really hard math class to me

I'm here to learn

Completely agree. It's why it's my main game.

Great stuff.

I need a USFIV version of this video dou.

Watch the Juicebox video I have in the resources section of this video.

God, this thread hurts. I miss playing against other people. No arcades near me, none of my friends play fighters these days, my girlfriend and kids don't play them, and I haven't seen many online fighters that aren't saddled with lag and dropped connections.

I envy every one of you that has those things.

Over here, arcades are dead.

None of my friends play fighters.

There's a local place that has tournaments and weekly meet up events for fighting games.

Try to see if you have one too.

h0mebas3

Subscribed--excellent thread OP.

Time to determine what to commit to. Definitely need a mentor please for Tekken; plan on picking up Tekken 7.

For my 2nd game...Guilty Gear, SFV, Smash. So many choices here, still need to make up my mind on that one.

TheOGB

Banned
By god, there's a ScrubGAF now? Subbed!

Excellent OP, Cindi. You clearly seem dedicated to improving and have a lot of ideas set up to facilitate that. Awesome stuff.

JayEH

If anybody wants to spar let me know (East Coast US btw). I play USFIV on ps4 (PSN RedViperN7). I've only been really playing since May. I'd say I'm like maybe a notch or two above like absolute noob. So if you're around that level id love to practice with you. Right now I'm mostly playing Balrog since I want to learn charge characters and Juri because I think she's fun. Getting tired of shotos :p

Looking forward to playing SFV and being there at the beginning for a change. Also looking forward to Tekken 7 as a chill fighting game.

pizzacat

Banned

Hmm, I'll take that into consideration, I haven't played much of IV, tbh I've played the beta more than my full time with IV.

Also doesn't Arturo play dhalsim? Doesn't Dhalsims play style get hurt more by the things in IV than he benefits from it?

I've hit a wall in Smash, where I'm just about average, but something in my mind is preventing me from advancing. Maybe it's just literally the stress of not advancing, I'm not sure. You're absolutely right that there's not a lot of resources out there, and I feel like one of my main weaknesses is just the neutral game -- paying attention to what the enemy is doing, and seeing patterns. Only pattern I ever see is me getting combo'd into oblivion like a sock puppet. I'd totally go for a mentor if anyone would have me.

I'll definitely read the links posted in the OP. I know they'll be traditional fighter focused, but it's the mindset I'm sucking at hardcore right now, so they should be helpful.

vulva

Hmm, I'll take that into consideration, I haven't played much of IV, tbh I've played the beta more than my full time with IV.

Also doesn't Arturo play dhalsim? Doesn't Dhalsims play style get hurt more by the things in IV than he benefits from it?

He also plays Rose, who definitely can take advantage of alot of the system mechanics. I remember someone commenting on his play talking about the OSes he uses etc then he came here and basically said he's an old man who isn't looking to learn those and just plays using reactions.

Hagi

Omega DJ is great tho

Answer to the guy above about stick: it's whatever you feel as comfortable. People use ps1 controllers for gods sake. I didn't feel comfortable with a pad because shoryus and supers would happen when I didn't want them to. So I got a stick and practiced getting used to them by playing 2d platformers with it

Oh yeah I know for example Snake Eyez plays pad. Last time I tried to get into IV execution was a real struggle on pad which get knocking me down because I kept trying to brute force it. I do think I'd be better investing in a stick.

pizzacat

Banned
He also plays Rose, who definitely can take advantage of alot of the system mechanics. I remember someone commenting on his play talking about the OSes he uses etc then he came here and basically said he's an old man who isn't looking to learn those and just plays using reactions.
I see what you're saying now, fundamentals that can work in V can still work on IV even with the extras

Over here, arcades are dead.

None of my friends play fighters.

There's a local place that has tournaments and weekly meet up events for fighting games.

Try to see if you have one too.

There is one, but it isn't very frequent and they always meet on the one day of the week I always work.

I'd probably get wrecked, anyway. I've been playing the CPU in virtually every fighting game since the mid 90s. Unless it's SNES Era Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, I'm not going to put up much of a fight.

There is one, but it isn't very frequent and they always meet on the one day of the week I always work.

I'd probably get wrecked, anyway. I've been playing the CPU in virtually every fighting game since the mid 90s. Unless it's SNES Era Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, I'm not going to put up much of a fight.

Getting wrecked is how you learn. :) Ask them questions on how to improve. If they're cool, they'll help.

Top Bottom