• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Help with this? It always happens when it's a crucial time. I play on pad and I'm not sure if it's why. Or if it's the game doing it because of its stupid shortcuts, or just me...but I really fucking hate it. God. HELP!
I can't watch the video right now but I used to have dps come out instead of fbs whenever I tried to walk forward and fb. I had to learn to go to neutral before inputting the fb command to get it to work.

Ryu doesn't have an obvious go-to strategy because nothing in his arsenal is extremely effective or safe. I would say he is a good intermediate character because it will force the player to learn every matchup, not a good beginner character.

Not having an obvious go-to strategy with one really great tool is precisely a desirable trait for a good beginner character. You don't want to give a beginner a crutch that's specific to a character when the point is for them to learn how the game works in a general sense. I don't think that's much of a problem in SFV though.

When I clicked this thread it said NeoGAF Gold at the top? Am I crazy? It's disappeared.

I can't watch the video right now but I used to have dps come out instead of fbs whenever I tried to walk forward and fb. I had to learn to go to neutral before inputting the fb command to get it to work.

Thanks. Definitely makes you have to be aware of what you're doing! :(

pixelish

Help with this? It always happens when it's a crucial time. I play on pad and I'm not sure if it's why. Or if it's the game doing it because of its stupid shortcuts, or just me...but I really fucking hate it. God. HELP!

you're probably moving forward before doing the fb motion. if you know you're moving forward, you should do a half circle forward motion to reduce the chance of getting a dp instead of an fb.

for anyone intimidated by blazblue or guilty gear purely for the amount of mechanics, those game shave excellent and very detailed tutorials on all of their systems.

You will still get wrecked by them for a while, but you will understand them.

Games like UNIEL though, they dont tell you shit

Cindi, whenever I am worried that I might get a DP instead of a Hadoken, I do a HCF motion instead of a QCF. Removed all interpretation errors.

I find it hilarious how SFIV's shortcut system, which is designed to make it easier for new players, actually makes it more complicated and annoying.

Capcom, PLEASE.

Vargavinter

I've been thinking of getting Ultra Street Fighter 4 on steam just last night. I got a hori stick when I got SF4 on 360 but I never got anywhere due to the latency on my TV. My prime playing fighting games was back when Street Fighter 2 was released on the super Nintendo. I'm tempted but I feel that I will never get as good as back in the day and my patience wears thin alot faster now days.

Hmm, I like the idea, and I've definitely been liking fighting games more over the past few years. I really dig figuring out a game's mechanic and how to take advantage of characters. I probably prefer 3D fighters (DOA, VF, not Tekken though), but SFV has me interested. I did try MKX, but man, I didn't enjoy the gameplay there.

I just don't think I have enough commitment to competitive fighting. From attending tourneys to even getting a proper pad or stick. And I love me other games, especially RPGs (time hogs). And then there's Rocket League...

I've had some great fun though, one of my best memories was practicing one of Sarah's moves in VF5 and pulling it off in a match:
giphy.gif

Her forward slide can be interrupted into a backstep jab, so I did the first slide without interrupting it, then interrupted the second at just the right time.

Fighting games have also thought me that when in doubt, running grab.
giphy.gif

And finally, when random cool timing happens.
giphy.gif

Like I said, SFV interest me, so that's something to look forward to. I do prefer using females though, and that pool is small. Would Naruto SUNS 4 count? Haha, I do like the gameplay there.

Man I've having trouble playing SSF4 3D in online with matches being laggy and input delay making some moves hard to punish move with long recovery and yet I felt like the netcode was better than the other version including PC. DP didn't felt like this godly move that beats everything and not be a 1 frame start up.

Anyway I main Decapre since playing Ultra and I can Air throw after a FADC Sting and her Fierce Break without any issues and do them consistently. But for whatever reason j.LK comes out instead of her air throw when I do her target combo. For me it works randomly.

I can get it the move as close to the ground like this:

35F593CDECFAB638C8313220A6019E3AB9895170

But then this happens half the time
6BCE7F05DC6916956EBB8599601BA0C6F60F7FB1

Also I can't beat Bison, I don't know what to do after his Scissor kicks it has so much push back.

Swarna

Also I can't beat Bison, I don't know what to do after his Scissor kicks it has so much push back.

You generally can't do anything about it after the fact. You need to not let it happen in the first place. If you block an LK Knee he basically won some screen space. Space yourself just outside the range of LK Knee Press and punish on whiff (go into training mode and record the move on the dummy to get a feel for the exact range). If he does MK or HK Knee you can probably punish with Decapre's DP (unless he spaced the MK version well). You can also neutral jump pre-emptively and punish on the way down. The main way to fight knee is to think about when he might use it. It's a charge move so he has to be down-backing first of all. So usually when you're in a certain range and he's sitting still is when you even have to consider it. When you get really good at this you can start punishing very hard by counter-hitting or even by using a focus attack spaced at the second hit of the Knee Press.

Other than that it's -1 on block for the LK version. What a lot of Bison's like to do is put out a MK/HK kick that will usually beat longer range pokes because the start up is quicker. Observe what they do and if this is what they're doing you can delay your button slightly and get a whiff punish. You could also just reversal DP in this case if you're sure.

Grakl

Funny thing about this thread is that I JUST started a series of YouTube videos called Back in The Saddle where I'm relearning how to play fighting games after taking a long hiatus from my last major tournament. Learning from the ground up using resources and other people for once instead of just relying on my own knowledge mainly has been really fun. Analyzing my own matches is fun and illuminating as well.

Using my experience in learning SF for the first time to be a better FG player in general and then taking my knowledge from playing Tekken
(which is no where to be found in this thread FIX that OP, a lot of people still play TTT2 on PS3 and the TTT2 thread is active)
into decreasing the amount of time spent having to practice.

Really dope thread.

Links to my videos as they could provide insight into higher level thinking and if anyone can help or needs any help don't be afraid to hit me up

Introduction
Video one focusing on Tekken(my main game) pretty much where I feel like I left off learning wise.
Video two is me beginning in SF proper

I have a "special" dealing with the recent SFV beta and then going into my third game MKX.
I like this series, you should increase the volume for the game and your voice though imo

lupinko

Baptism by fire works:

Me @ T5DR back in the day arcades, total of 5 wins.

Me @ Tekken 7 now in game centers, current wins 435.

What's lost in the death of arcades in the west is that because you're not playing for your money, there isn't much at stake to force you to adapt and change for the better.

Basically it beats out stubbornness eventually.

Hmm, I like the idea, and I've definitely been liking fighting games more over the past few years. I really dig figuring out a game's mechanic and how to take advantage of characters. I probably prefer 3D fighters (DOA, VF, not Tekken though), but SFV has me interested. I did try MKX, but man, I didn't enjoy the gameplay there.

I just don't think I have enough commitment to competitive fighting. From attending tourneys to even getting a proper pad or stick. And I love me other games, especially RPGs (time hogs). And then there's Rocket League...

I've had some great fun though, one of my best memories was practicing one of Sarah's moves in VF5 and pulling it off in a match:
giphy.gif

Her forward slide can be interrupted into a backstep jab, so I did the first slide without interrupting it, then interrupted the second at just the right time.

Fighting games have also thought me that when in doubt, running grab.
giphy.gif

And finally, when random cool timing happens.
giphy.gif

Like I said, SFV interest me, so that's something to look forward to. I do prefer using females though, and that pool is small. Would Naruto SUNS 4 count? Haha, I do like the gameplay there.

Those gifs make me miss VF so much!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Subbed!
A bit disappointed the OP doesn't include Soul Calibur 2 HD and most importantly VF5 FE which I find has an excellent tutorial mode and teaches a lot of stuff, it's only on PS360 but it's also super affordable and gets discounted constantly. If you don't care for bells and whistles you can often find the normal version for like $5 digital (game's digital only).

Tornix

Subbed! I play just about any fighter, but mostly Guilty Gear.

PSN: TornixSRK
Steam: Tornix

I didn't see it posted (shoot me if it was), but Novriltataki has a series of tutorials for Guilty Gear & air dashers in general on his channel.

Novriltataki Youtube

Funny thing about this thread is that I JUST started a series of YouTube videos called Back in The Saddle where I'm relearning how to play fighting games after taking a long hiatus from my last major tournament. Learning from the ground up using resources and other people for once instead of just relying on my own knowledge mainly has been really fun. Analyzing my own matches is fun and illuminating as well.

Using my experience in learning SF for the first time to be a better FG player in general and then taking my knowledge from playing Tekken
(which is no where to be found in this thread FIX that OP, a lot of people still play TTT2 on PS3 and the TTT2 thread is active)
into decreasing the amount of time spent having to practice.

Really dope thread.

Links to my videos as they could provide insight into higher level thinking and if anyone can help or needs any help don't be afraid to hit me up

Introduction
Video one focusing on Tekken(my main game) pretty much where I feel like I left off learning wise.
Video two is me beginning in SF proper

I have a "special" dealing with the recent SFV beta and then going into my third game MKX.

Finally got to watch your vids, brother Mike! Sorry for being late! I really like them. Can you make a playlist for the series so it makes it easier to link to in the OP? :)

Everyone!

How are these characters played based on their character design? :)

Your homework is to figure out what their general game plan is based on their character design ONLY:

Ralf (King of Fighters):

bR2tZsJ.png

Dhalsim (Street Fighter):

OWfO3Wp.png

Milia (Guilty Gear)

bKPCmW6.jpg

Kung Lao (Mortal Kombat)

1JxBExo.jpg

Hsien-Ko (Darkstalkers)

Rvh07Em.png

Vanessa (Virtua Fighter)

jsuxt0B.jpg

FACE

Banned

It could be that you're accidentally inputting down-forward twice.

RocBase

You want to encourage people to play fighting games

so how do you explain smash being in the op?
15.gif

In all seriousness though, veeeeeeeeeerrry nice thread OP! Thanks! So far I've been sticking with GG as far as trying to elevate from scrub-tier goes, it's the only fighter besides Marvel that genuinely seems to speak to me.

stn

I suggest adding KOF13 and Street Fighter x Tekken to the OP. They are less played than the rest but their omission only makes it harder for people to try them out. Hell, I'd be up for a X360 SFxT revival if people are up for it. Great fighter, been itching to play some sets.

Korigama

for anyone intimidated by blazblue or guilty gear purely for the amount of mechanics, those game shave excellent and very detailed tutorials on all of their systems.

You will still get wrecked by them for a while, but you will understand them.

Games like UNIEL though, they dont tell you shit
Yeah, I neglected to mention this yesterday (probably should've said it, but I didn't). Indeed, UNIEL has neither tutorials nor a challenge mode.

TacosNSalsa

Looks to me like you're trying to walk forward or even maybe just pressing forward then fireball too quickly . Even walk forward ,low forward into fireball input will get you a dp if you do it to quickly . You're playing on pad so it's probably different but what I do when I want to walk forward fireball is walk forward then do a half circle forward ..that normally lets the buffer clear before anything derp happens.

Edit: Also watch/record your replays with inputs on .... seeing what buttons/directions you are pressing and when is insanely useful.

If you're challenging me, I don't have a system to play on, well I got a Wii U, but all I have is 3D World.
Not challenging, I just wanted an excuse to use Ryu's quote. :x
What are the best controllers/sticks for Smash 4? I want to add those to the OP. :)

Anything is fine as long as the person is comfortable (I've seen people use Remote/Nunchuk with great results), but the general consensus is GCube controller/Pro Controller.

Ordering a stick for my PS4 tonight so I can play skullgirls until SFV comes out. Honestly my main problem is I go into a panic autopilot and just start mashing when it comes to actually fighting someone the only game I've really managed to break that habit was smash.

Is there any good way to help work against that panic mode or do I just need to quit being a spazz?
Also is GG Xrd too mechanic heavy for a beginner? I've never played the series but I really like how it looks.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ordering a stick for my PS4 tonight so I can play skullgirls until SFV comes out. Honestly my main problem is I go into a panic autopilot and just start mashing when it comes to actually fighting someone the only game I've really managed to break that habit was smash.

Is there any good way to help work against that panic mode or do I just need to quit being a spazz?
Also is GG Xrd too mechanic heavy for a beginner? I've never played the series but I really like how it looks.
You just gotta think about it and make yourself be calm. The more you mash, the more you open yourself up to execution errors.

Rean

Never noticed the mentor part of the OP. Could I request to be a mentee of someone for Street Fighter now if anyones up for it? I have Ultra on PS4 and PC (rarely play on PC though) and I'm mainly going to be focusing on SFV when that comes out.

Kysen

Subbing for SF5, will finally put the time in for that game because at least it will have a large following. Finding a match online in the UK for the anime fighters is a pain in the ass, user base is non-existent.

I'd love a Street Fighter mentor myself.

Post your deets everyone! This will make it easier to organize mentees and mentors.

Cindi Mayweather
Main game: Ultra Street Fighter IV
Main platform: Steam
Time Zone: Central

Astarte

I'm getting fucked up by walking forward and attempting to do a hadoken in USF4. I need to stop doing that so I can stop eating punishes for a shoryuken :\

Gamecube Controller for 99% of Smash players.

I'd love a Street Fighter mentor myself.

Post your deets everyone! This will make it easier to organize mentees and mentors.

Cindi Mayweather
Main game: Ultra Street Fighter IV
Main platform: Steam
Time Zone: Central
Why not set up a Google Form, or something similar?

Slaythe

Guilty Gear Xrd is the absolute perfect entry for whoever wants to start out fighters.

- It looks insanely good, so it's easy to feel compelled to play it even if you suck

- It has really easy "basic" combos that beginners can pull off, which means they can do decent damage despite not doing crazy combos. It also has a great comeback system that makes it seem easier to "do good".

- Its basics are easy to understand, but granted complicated stuff like just guard and some pressure etc.. can be a bit tough

- I feel like it's the perfect mix between offense and defense. Except for one or two characters, you never get juggled in the air for 7 years like blazblue, and you have tools to defend yourself against pretty much everything.

I really feel like it's one of the most satisfying game for beginners because it lets you do decent things even if you're not a pro player.

SFV is really close to that too, except SFV lacks so many options it's just sad, currently (it was better before), hopefully they tweak it around.

I can't recommend SF IV to any beginner though, what an awful game IMO.

Slaythe

Oh BTW, i'm up for some games , here's what i have :

ultra sfIV : steam
KOF 13 : steam
Skullgirls : steam (kinda hate it though D:)

GGxrd : Ps4
BBCP EX : ps4
Saint Seiya : ps4
Jstars : ps4
SF V

Tekken tag 2 : ps3

Naruto storm : steam and ps3 (soon ps4)

I might get killer instinct on PC when that's out.

I have MKX on ps4 but region locked so i gave it up really. Might also get yatagarasu if you guys are up for it. I tried the demo i sucked balls at it.

Hagi

I'm in the process of uploading a video of me getting stomped by a Juri to my Youtube. It's frustrating watching your replays and noticing that maybe you should have anti air here or blocked properly there. I didn't feel bad for losing though which is a definite improvement towards my attitude to learning. Playing Ryu is a lot of fun.

stn

I have the following:

X360 - USF4, SFxT
PS3 - USF4
XB1 - MKX

I have KOF and the other NRS fighters but I'm not keen on learning them now. Anyone who wants to play on any of these platforms, just quote me. I'll PM you my tag. Don't care where you live (I have good internet) or how good/bad you are, just want good sportsmen. Thanks.

Windtrick

I always seem to be into the slightly lesser known games such as Melty Blood and Valkyrie Princess. Specifically Melty Blood, I've had a bumpy and mainly newbie relationship with that game ever since ReAct.

Do we have any Melty players in here?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And I'm certainly aware of that, but this isn't exactly a recent issue that I've only just come to realize. I suppose I'm realizing more the depth of it, but I've known for a while I have a big autopilot issue.

I've never really been one to blame the game or anything, so I feel like I have 80% of a healthy mindset. I've always managed to avoid the mental pitfalls of blaming the game, blaming my opponent, saying such and such is cheap, etc (not to say I haven't said certain things were really frustrating). But I can't conquer my own habits, and that's the worst part. I feel like I know what I need to do to get better, but can't get myself to do it. I feel like I need a mindset coach haha.

boi i will fite u

I feel like part of overcoming this mental block is just muscle memory and recognition. It's something that comes with familiarity, but you can also condition yourself to a particular scenario where you tend to panic and make the wrong decision. This could be simply through sparring a friend who is willing to work with you, or through training mode and macro ing the dummy to perform the action you're trying to counter.

The more you see it, the quicker you'll recognize the situation, the more time you'll have to make a decision, and the less you'll panic and autopilot.

Top Bottom