• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy XII Team Will Consider Another Ivalice Game With the Right Feedback

I'd be interested in a Vagrant Story-style game written by Matsuno and directed by Nomura. Yeah.

Vagrant Story ending spoiler:

yEpo2CE.png

Ashley even already looks like a Nomura character at the end of the first game!

Yeah is there even a place for Tactics 2 in the current market? :(

They talked about reviving their IP via mid budgets/outsourcing recently actually. It's certainly doable. They could make a platform change to save money anyway if needs be. I wouldn't imagine a game like Tactics 2 would be too expensive, not like the fans are the type to demand expensive CG throughout. Tactical turn based games still get made plenty nowadays.

The cost would be less than say, a FFXII spin off/follow up (which I'd also be really happy with).

Ray Down

Banned
They talked about reviving their IP via mid budgets/outsourcing recently actually. It's certainly doable. They could make a platform change to save money anyway. I wouldn't imagine a game like Tactics 2 would be too expensive, not like the fans are the type to demand expensive CG throughout.

The cost would be less than say, a FFXII spin off/follow up (which I'd also be really happy with).

I think they just make a mid budget game out of this than Tactics.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just let Matsuno do whatever the fuck he wants. I'd play an Ivalice dating simulator by that guy and it'd probably be better written with more gravitas than 95% of the games out there.

I think they just make a mid budget game out of this than Tactics.

I think crazier announcements have taken place this gen but I'd be just as happy with a new FFXII game personally, so I don't mind at all.

Speaking of SRPGs, I do wonder whatever happened to that rumour for a new Front Mission game? Cancelled?

Osukaa

I also greatly prefer Tactics Ivalice over XII's, but I'm pretty sure the latter was also designed by Matsuno? I guess we'll never know the extent of the changes when they shifted directors, but I always assumed the setting stayed largely the same as originally intended by Matsuno and the story was what suffered the most.

I learned something new today lol

Wow me to lol Poor Matsuno. Those damn Spaceships lol

Another Tactics would be great but I would really like a straight sequel to XII as well. I would love to see these characters get more development and a deeper incursion into this world's lore. When I saw XII's ending for the first time it really hit me how much these characters had grown on me.

It's downright criminal that Nomura had the luxury of dicking around with his Lightning fetish for all those years. The things Matsuno could've achieved with that amount of time and money.

Eylos

Banned
square enix should remake FFVIII but set in ivalice

two sets of fans happy
Ff7 remake we Will discover that the world is the future ivalice where the humans exterminated the other races.

And since ff10 is the Future of ff7 the last game of this world is on the glorious ffx-2 and ffx-3 oficial fanfic

ffxii - ffxii revenant-tactics - tactics A2 -crisis core - before crisis - ff7 - advent Children - dirge of Cerberus - ff10 - ff10/2 - ff10/3 audio drama

All tied together

It's downright criminal that Nomura had the luxury of dicking around with his Lightning fetish for all those years. The things Matsuno could've achieved with that amount of time and money.

Nomura? Lightning? What.

He literally has nothing to do with her besides drawing her a few times based on someone else's ideas.

Nicolada

I'd want a new stand alone game in the setting to be honest. The XII cast has already gotten their spotlight so unless it's that Fortresa/Ashe game then I'd prefer something with new faces. A new Tactics game in the style of the original or the Advance series would be great too tho tbh. Throwing my money at Square.

Fisty

Put in my preorder on PSN already. I'm less interested in a new Ivalice game made by modern SE and more interested in every PS1 and PS2 game of theirs ported to PS4.

Kyoufu

Another Tactics would be great but I would really like a straight sequel to XII as well. I would love to see these characters get more development and a deeper incursion into this world's lore. When I saw XII's ending for the first time it really hit me how much these characters had grown on me.

You mean Toriyama, not Nomura.

Well money is the best feedback for publishers.

Also it won't be Tactics guy, unless it's low budget/AA.

AA budget for a Tactics game is completely fine, it doesn't need a AAA budget. Look at what Nintendo pulls off with the Fire Emblem games. A new entry in Final Fantasy Tactics could have mobile-esque graphics, there's no need for a massive open world and enormously detailed assets.

Kills me that they don't put this out, would be a great fit for mobile, Switch, downloadable game on PSN...

Lime

As a first step I wouldn't mind Tactics HD ported to consoles and PC instead of being relegated to mobile platforms only

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm weary. Do I want this? Hell to the yes, and times twenty if it's Matsuno. But I don't think Square has the manpower. FFX/X-2 HD has sold quite well and the years have rolled by with no word on a sequel or spinoff. Didn't we hear the same rhetoric back then, for that game? Isn't the Spira saga a hotter look to the mainstream than our based beloved Ivalice?

I will buy the remaster. I will live in hope. But I am skeptical anything will ever come of it.

mieumieu

How the XII remaster is not coming to the Switch is still beyond me. Thing would sell like hot cakes

maybe it is? It could happen, but even so, just dont expect Squeenix to ever mention it until the PS4 version is out for a while. Thats their MO for marketing.

What I want most is at least port Tactics to modern game systems. I dont wanna upgrade my iPhone OS and lose the game cos its 32 bit...

I dont expect Matsuno-san to work on any large scale project as a lead again.

watershed

Banned
I love the Ivalice FF style. I hope to see something more in the vein of FFXII and less FFXII Revanent Wings or FFTactics Advanced 2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Imagining another game in the same general timeframe of Tactics, but with XII gameplay, makes me unnaturally excited. Either 50 Years War or a sequel game.

I'd also be down to just explore other countries of XII's world. Rozarria and most of Archadia are unseen.

Ray Down

Banned
maybe it is? It could happen, but even so, just dont expect Squeenix to ever mention it until the PS4 version is out for a while. Thats their MO for marketing.

What I want most is at least port Tactics to modern game systems. I dont wanna upgrade my iPhone OS and lose the game cos its 32 bit...

I dont expect Matsuno-san to work on any large scale project as a lead again.

It ain't coming to the Switch.

Griss

It's sad but Final Fantasy is at a point where my ears perked up and I said "Ivalice?! I loved..." and the thought died in my mind as I imagined a mediocre action RPG teased for 7 years and delivered to middling reviews in 2025.

Sorry, not placing any more hope in these guys until the next time they deliver something special, like FF XII, FFT or FFTA.

Ivalice is great because Matsuno is great, but beyond XII, I've recently come to terms with the fact that I'm not really super interested in Ivalice itself. If Matsuno made it, I would be there Day 1 of course. If they pushed it onto Toriyama or Tabata? I probably wouldn't be excited.

mieumieu

It ain't coming to the Switch.

I know the chance is slim, but over these years I've learned to never say never when it comes to Squeenix and FF ports. Haha

Its a good game for portable play and I am sure a lot of people would like to see that happen.

Isotropy

I want Revenant Wings made in the style of Final Fantasy XII.

The game's flaw is its simplified, repetitive strategy combat system. Funnily enough, everything else around that is actually really good. The game actually features a lot of what some were missing in XII, more of that day-to-day character development and lighter moments. The broader story is really nice too, and funnily enough it was made by Toriyama. It's by far his most coherent and enjoyable plot, and in many ways is like a better version of XIII's story.

If it were made in the style of XII as a full-scale sequel, I truly believe that the two of them together would make a spectacular whole. XII, with all of its qualities as we know them, then XII:Revenant Wings which takes more time to focus on the character's lives. But, still with the same gorgeous world design and atmosphere (seriously, Revenant Wings is full of locations that would be stunning rendered in full).

Isotropy

It's sad but Final Fantasy is at a point where my ears perked up and I said "Ivalice?! I loved..." and the thought died in my mind as I imagined a mediocre action RPG teased for 7 years and delivered to middling reviews in 2025.

Sorry, not placing any more hope in these guys until the next time they deliver something special, like FF XII, FFT or FFTA.

It would be made by the FFT/XII team though - have they ever made a game that let you down? They're not the XV team if that's what you're referring to.

Top Bottom