• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Joni

Going to ask what has probably been asked a million times, but since this is a new thread I suppose we might as well use it as a primer for other new people joining in as well:

OG Timeline: Barry was supposed to get struck by lightning later on in life.
Canon Timeline: Reverse Flash intervened and changed the past causing Barry to receive his Flash powers earlier and his mother to die.
New timeline: Barry stops Reverse Flash from killing his mom and all the other residual effects.

Shouldn't the Flashpoint timeline be the original timeline then?

It would be close, but Reverse Flash is there to mess up these elements. We haven't seen Wells in these previews, so Reverse might have done something that impacts the explosion from ever happening.

ZeroX03

Banned
It would be close, but Reverse Flash is there to mess up these elements. We haven't seen Wells in these previews, so Reverse might have done something that impacts the explosion from ever happening.

Speaking of Wells...

#3.03 "Magenta" Synopsis
EARTH-2 WELLS AND JESSE RETURN TO CENTRAL CITY — Barry (Grant Gustin) and Team Flash are thrilled to reunite with Earth-2 Wells (Tom Cavanagh) and Jesse (guest star Violett Beane). Wells confides to Barry and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) that Jesse has all the powers of a speedster and has been saving people on his Earth. He is concerned about her safety and wants them to talk her out of using her powers. Meanwhile, Magenta, (guest star Joey King) a new meta who can control metal, terrorizes the city. Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Judalina Neira & David Kob (FLA303). Original airdate 10/18/2016.

Going to ask what has probably been asked a million times, but since this is a new thread I suppose we might as well use it as a primer for other new people joining in as well:

OG Timeline: Barry was supposed to get struck by lightning later on in life.
Canon Timeline: Reverse Flash intervened and changed the past causing Barry to receive his Flash powers earlier and his mother to die.
New timeline: Barry stops Reverse Flash from killing his mom and all the other residual effects.

Shouldn't the Flashpoint timeline be the original timeline then?

The comic explanation for it is that there's one thing the Speed Force kind of sucks at that the Negative Speed Force is great at: Time Travel

Using the Negative Speed Force to time travel is like cutting through time with a scalpel. Negative Speedsters have to worry about causality, but that's about it.

Using the Speed Force to time travel is like smashing a hole through time with a sledgehammer. You'll get through, but you're going to cause some serious structural damage to time that will cause events to change that have nothing to do with the actions you took in the past.

That's how in the comics, Barry saving his mother led to events like Atlantis going to war with Thermyscira and Bruce Wayne being killed by Joe Chill instead of his parents.

ZeroX03

Banned
The comic explanation for it is that there's one thing the Speed Force kind of sucks at that the Negative Speed Force is great at: Time Travel

Using the Negative Speed Force to time travel is like cutting through time with a scalpel. Negative Speedsters have to worry about causality, but that's about it.

Using the Speed Force to time travel is like smashing a hole through time with a sledgehammer. You'll get through, but you're going to cause some serious structural damage to time that will cause events to change that have nothing to do with the actions you took in the past.

That's how in the comics, Barry saving his mother led to events like Atlantis going to war with Thermyscira and Bruce Wayne being killed by Joe Chill instead of his parents.

tldr; Barry and Zoom are idiots and suck at time traveling

Reverse Flash is dope and doesn't

Mariolee

The take they seem to have is Barry would never be the Flash in this current timeline. That's just guessing on my part though.

Yeah, in the current Flashpoint timeline he wouldn't but in the original timeline I believe Thawne has already admitted Barry was supposed to get his powers later.

Perhaps...

This makes the most...sense...I suppose. It at least fits in with the internal logic of the show/comic. So how does one control the Negative Speed Force? By just being evil? If so did Zoom have the Negative Speed Force? He must not have considering Time Wraiths kidnapped his ass.

ZeroX03

Banned
RF got wrecked by Barry tho

Reverse Flash (Year One) did, and Barry almost got Cisco killed in the process.

Reverse Flash (Peak) clowned Barry multiple times and could've easily killed him.

This makes the most...sense...I suppose. It at least fits in with the internal logic of the show/comic. So how does one control the Negative Speed Force? By just being evil? If so did Zoom have the Negative Speed Force? He must not have considering Time Wraiths kidnapped his ass.

The show hasn't delved into it, it would be a pretty big assumption. We do know he uses part of Barry's Speed Force at least.

Wow, season three starts tonight, it doesn't feel like it's been that long since we saw the (official) series premiere. The last two years really flew by.

Mariolee

Wow, season three starts tonight, it doesn't feel like it's been that long since we saw the (official) series premiere. The last two years really flew by.

The fact that Arrow is on Season 5 means half a decade has gone by since the DCTV Universe got its start. I still remember people wanting the guy who played Olly in Smallville to reprise his role lol

zulux21

The fact that Arrow is on Season 5 means half a decade has gone by since the DCTV Universe got its start. I still remember people wanting the guy who played Olly in Smallville to reprise his role lol

I still would prefer that olly. I liked that olly.

this past season was the only season I didn't mind oliver queen in arrow.
I hated him in season 1 and didn't care for him in 2-4.

I much prefer the smiling joke cracking green arrow to primal grunt arrow.

I also have always been confused why olly it typically so much more enjoyable in the flash crossover episodes.

SEASON PREMIERE TODAY!!

#3.01 "FLASHPOINT"

fla301a_0110b.jpg
I actually think Wally looks pretty decent in that pic. Better then the earlier set pics I saw

Xemnas89

tonight is the night!!!

Wont be able to watch live thanks to work but at least I have something to look forward to when I get home.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
so based on that ep3 synopsis
is flashpoint likely resolved at that point?
Hate to break it to you but
Flashpoint will be resolved within the first episode. This season will probably see Barry dealing with the repercussions from Flashpoint, but he'll be back in his somewhat slightly altered continuity by episode two.

icespide

Banned
Hate to break it to you but
Flashpoint will be resolved within the first episode. This season will probably see Barry dealing with the repercussions from Flashpoint, but he'll be back in his somewhat slightly altered continuity by episode two.

haha
I knew it wouldn't last super long but I thought 2 episodes at the very least

Top Bottom