• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Awakens Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Opening weekend gross
Worldwide opening gross
Domestic gross
Overseas gross
Worldwide gross

You can predict every category or choose whichever ones you want.

Here are the current records for each category.

OW: Jurassic World $208,806,270
WW OW: Jurassic World $524,400,000
DOM: Avatar: $760,507,625
WW: Avatar $2,787,965,087

Cheebo

Banned
I remember being mocked endlessly in the old thread a year ago for saying it would outgross Age of Ultron.

I think it's pretty fair to say at the very least it will crush that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
ALL OF THE MONEY

STAR WARS LITERALLY WILL GET ALL OF THE MONEY

Yeah this is generally the direction I am leaning in, I don't have any actual numbers in mind.

woolley

I don't know anything about numbers but I'm pretty sure it'll break all the records. I don't even like Star Wars and I'm thinking about going.

It will probably make more than warranted based on the quality of the film, which is true of most of the top grossing films of all time.

OW - $550M WW $275M - Domestic

Total $2.25B WW $1B Domestic.

Opening weekend gross: a gorillion dollars
Worldwide opening gross: a gorillion dollars
Domestic gross: a gorillion dollars
Overseas gross: a gorillion dollars
Worldwide gross: a gorillion dollars

Please I am an expert at these things.

I don't know anything about numbers but I'm pretty sure it'll break all the records. I don't even like Star Wars and I'm thinking about going.

I've heard this. A lot. It's telling of how great Lucasfilm's marketing department is. It's going to set shit on fire.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Opening weekend gross - $120 M

Domestic gross - $900 M

Worldwide gross - $3.6 B

Yes, I have high expectations for this movie.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How much did Disney pay for the IP? 4 Billion? They'll have made it back + extra by the end of 2016

Here is a better question:

What is the MINIMUM the film needs to make opening weekend to not disappoint? My guess is anything under 220million domestic will be a huge disappointment to Disney.

ferr

It will make a gazillion dollars.

10. gazillion. dollars.

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
They payed 4 Billion for LucasFilm. That inclundes Indiana Jones as well.

at that price Lucas basically gave it away. I wonder if he actually was looking to cash in how much he could have gotten? I'm sure Comcast/TW would have been willing to match 4b and add another few in. Hell Im sure any company with the fiscal capabilities would have.

Patryn

I'm going to project a little low, but I still think I may be too high:

OW: 150
WWOW: 480
DOM: 550
WW: 2350

Damaniel

Banned
I'm pretty sure that OW will be pretty close to, if not top $300M, if the Fandango pre-sale snafus are anything to go by.

If I had to guess overall, I'd say:

OW: $300M
WW OW: $625M
DOM: $850M
WW: ~$3.2B

(Personally, I don't care about the movie myself, but tons of my coworkers are hyped and have tickets preordered, even if the process was a little painful.)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If it's even as good as RotJ, it'll beat Titanic and might come within striking distance of Avatar. The fact that the vast majority of screenings are in 3D (boo!) will help, just like it did with Avatar, as will the long IMAX engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom