• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Awakens Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney's official estimate is "at least 215 million" so while that's stil breaking JW's record (which is fucking nuts all by itself, really) it's 45 mil less than Deadline's new upper range. Also 15 mil less than the prediction that sparked off the latest round of speculation on this film's prospects at the box-office a week ago.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Disney's official estimate is "at least 215 million" so while that's stil breaking JW's record (which is fucking nuts all by itself, really) it's 45 mil less than Deadline's new upper range. Also 15 mil less than the prediction that sparked off the latest round of speculation on this film's prospects at the box-office a week ago.

What was Jurassic World's opening weekend again? 205m?

The kind of extrapolation people here used to predict SW not outgrossing JW opening weekend is very similar to the logic used to say Trump can't win the nomination used by pundits: latching on to meaningless metrics like past December results and ignoring the evidence of much larger trends. We've seen for months the fever pitch of anticipation. The trailers racking up record hits, and the instant sell outs and yet people kept pointing tote fucking Hobbit as a significant data point for their predictions.

That was pretty fun, yeah.

edit: lotta "I told you so's" from people all over the internet who don't really pay attention to any of this shit with any reliability, though. Kinda diminishes the punch of that toldja. Winning a ring toss aint the same as scoring a medal in the hammer throw, yunno?

Hindsight is like a rearview that says "objects in mirror may look smarter than they appear"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'd like to thank my best friends, who never gave up on me believing space media could break records again.

I didn't win. I wasn't even close. I lowballed like crazy.

I'm thanking them anyway.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Yo Perfect, can I get some PowerBall numbers please. I mean you nailed it buy less than 900k. I'm pretty sure you would have won both showcases.

Branduil

I think that the opening records (and possibly LTD records) are going down in most English countries. UK might be an exception due to their love of Bond.

I really think that the money required to hit $100M for 3 weekends is too crazy to consider plausible. Jurassic World "only" had a $54M third weekend and was sitting at a $500M total. To hit your pet numbers, and considering we would be looking at holiday grosses during the weekdays, you'd basically have to peg Star Wars at around $700-750M by Jan 3rd. And since movies don't just collapse into a black hole after new years, you'd probably be predicting around $1B domestic.

To think this actually almost happened.

Opening domestic gross - $245m
WW final gross - $2.3b

This seems like it may end up shockingly accurate.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gong back to my winter prediction game I predicted $165M OW, which I now think is a shade too low (or maybe I was right and everyone else's hype is getting to me)

so
OW - $180M
WWOW- $480M
Domestic - $675M
Overseas- $1.35billion
WorldWide - $2.025 Billion

Overseas could either explode or be middling, who knows.

And people predicting much over 200M Domestic OW are fools
1 large day of online movie traffic is almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things

I am the fool
Way under domestic take but not far off other wise

I said it before, but I think it will be the biggest movie ever, when it's finished it's run, passing Avatar, Titanic and Jurassic World to be the number one movie.

Looking at Box Office Mojo's figures, in 17 days Avatar had done $352,114,898, and Star Wars TFA has already done $742,208,942 in the same amount of time, so if it carries on like that, it looks like it will beat Avatar.

So my prediction is Star Wars TFA will finish as the biggest movie ever (so far) with a final worldwide total of around $3 billion, passing Avatar's final worldwide total of $2,787,965,087

I said it before, but I think it will be the biggest movie ever, when it's finished it's run, passing Avatar, Titanic and Jurassic World to be the number one movie.

Looking at Box Office Mojo's figures, in 17 days Avatar had done $352,114,898, and Star Wars TFA has already done $742,208,942 in the same amount of time, so if it carries on like that, it looks like it will beat Avatar.

So my prediction is Star Wars TFA will finish as the biggest movie ever (so far) with a final worldwide total of around $3 billion, passing Avatar's final worldwide total of $2,787,965,087

As much as I would like it to, it won´t. Avatar had freakish long legs and it was more of a technical achievement than a movie. People we´re flocking to theaters and going back time and time again because they had never seen anything like that. Also the $ was way weaker back then which means that for Star Wars to equal Avatar, it has to bring 20 to 25% more audience worldwide than Avatar did.

FTF

Yes, it's way ahead domestically and will pass Avatar today in that regard, but it's way behind overseas and has no chance to beat it worldwide. Beating Titanic worldwide ($2.18b) for #2 is the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom