• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Force Awakens Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinexus

If reviews are great I think it will beat everything but Avatar. Are they doing 3D, IMAX, whatever shit too? If so, it beats Avatar as well.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm going to watch it like 3-4 times in theater most likely. I've never done that before, so, whatever that means.

WW: 2.79b

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
at that price Lucas basically gave it away. I wonder if he actually was looking to cash in how much he could have gotten? I'm sure Comcast/TW would have been willing to match 4b and add another few in. Hell Im sure any company with the fiscal capabilities would have.
I don't think that money was the issue at all for Lucas. He must have had more than enough already.
I assume he just wanted to know his legacy in save hands and Disney was probably the best he could have gotten in that sense.

jett

D-Member
advance ticket sales for star wars CRASHED websites/apps last night

I've never seen that happen for a highly anticipated film before

Because of rabid, crazed fanboys that absolutely must see this shit on midnight.

december release be damned, this thing is going to murder opening weekend records

165.gif

I can see it doing the first avengers style numbers domestically. Maybe tack on a few 100 million internationally. I'd be a little surprised to see it break 2B WW.

With tix selling out everywhere already theaters are going to keep allocating more screens to it till Dec, and the hype and news spreading on social media about sell outs is going to prompt even more to rush out and buy. This is going to break records before it even opens

Because of rabid, crazed fanboys that absolutely must see this shit on midnight.

The amount of fanboys worldwide must be ginormous or yea that's BS. Entire first weekend is selling out all over months in advance, no movie has done that. It's more than just some pocket of fandom

I don't think it will beat opening weekend records but it will end up the biggest movie of the year

If anything is beating titanic in the next couple years it's this movie

Vestal

Gold Member
If reviews are great I think it will beat everything but Avatar. Are they doing 3D, IMAX, whatever shit too? If so, it beats Avatar as well.

yup Imax.. Most theaters are doing all screens all Thursday and Friday for this.. Theater I got tickets to had a showing starting every 10-20minutes.

Tylercrat

Banned
WW 2.8 Billion

I say it will reach Avatar. It will be a little above it or a little below it.

I never saw marketing like this for Avatar. I work at a grocery supermarket and I'm amazed at all the food products with star wars on them.

If the movie is good, then it will surpass Avatar numbers. If the movie is bad it will fall just below avatar numbers. But this marketing is huge man.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You should look up the Starwars pre order thread. MovieTickets, Fandango and every major Theater site were completely hammered all freaking night.
No one is questioning that this movie will hit like a bomb. The question is if it'll have legs - and that depends largly on it that people are willing to watch it more than once in cinema.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
OW: $215,000,000
WW OW: $650,000,000
DOM: $1,500,000,000
WW: $4,000,000,000

boom

Viewt

Opening Weekend: $125M
Opening Weekend WW: $550M ($125M Domestic, $425M International)
Total Domestic: $800M
Total Worldwide: $2B

December openings don't blow things up out of the gate, though I still think it'll do better than any other December opening (current #1 is The Hobbit at $84M). But I think it'll have legs like nobody's business.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The film should gross between Jurassic World's worldwide gross, to Titanic's.

Avatar is simply not achievable with today's exchange rates.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It will be the biggest grossing movie of all time.

Jigorath

Banned
Anyone expecting this to beat Jurassic World's opening is living in la la land. 200m ain't happening in December.

With that said, I still expect this movie to rake in 2 billion.

Pagusas

Elden Member
what is the reason for it not being able to generate 200m+ In december? What about that month prevents it? Kids are on winter break, college is out. I'd imagine most people arent travelling yet. Weather is the only thing I can think of hindering it.

This isnt any regular film, this is much bigger and a way larger part of society, easily 2x's larger audiance than LOTR/Hobbit.

Patryn

what is the reason for it not being able to generate 200m+ In december? What about that month prevents it? Kids are on winter break, college is out. I'd imagine most people arent travelling yet. Weather is the only thing I can think of hindering it.

This isnt any regular film, this is much bigger and a way larger part of society, easily 2x's larger audiance than LOTR/Hobbit.
Lack of disposable income due to the holidays?

This is actually backed up by anecdotal data. I was on most sites this morning, just to see what had sold and yep, Thursday and Friday, sold out most places but from mid Saturday on, you can still get yer tickets today, no problem.

See for yourselves.

I will be extremely surprised to see it cross 2B let alone reach/surprass Avatar. Some of the predictions just sound insane to me.

Patryn

I will be extremely surprised to see it cross 2B let alone reach/surprass Avatar. Some of the predictions just sound insane to me.

Why? Avatar also released on December 18, so it's actually the same time frame, it has the 3D markup and it's in IMAX.

Of course, a lot depends on the reviews. If it ends up with the reception of the prequels, it'll make ok money, but nothing ground-breaking.

Konka

Banned
Why? Avatar also released on December 18, so it's actually the same time frame, it has the 3D markup and it's in IMAX.

Of course, a lot depends on the reviews. If it ends up with the reception of the prequels, it'll make ok money, but nothing ground-breaking.

Star Wars isn't even as good as Jurassic Park series internationally.

Avatar didn't have a 200 million + opening weekend like these crazy predictions.

Go back and look at Avatar's run. Also, this isn't the first time a big event movie has released in December.

LOTR and Titanic released there too. What will matter is the legs SW gets. Repeat viewings is how you get to an insane number like $2.7 billion dollars.

Avatar didn't have a 200 million + opening weekend like these crazy predictions.

Meaning it is more frontloaded than AHBUHDAR was.

Opening Weekend won't beat Jurassic World. It opens the last weekend before Christmas. People will be shopping and getting ready for the holiday that weekend.

Patryn

Star Wars isn't even as good as Jurassic Park series internationally.
Not really?

Jurassic Park and Jurassic World exceeds all the prequels (with JP just barely edging out Phantom Menance), but Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 both get killed by them.

It's more of a tossup, with Jurassic World skewing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom