• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011 Season of Vettel Fingering the Competition |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

anonnumber6 said:
For the whole five and a half hours I was not bored, just imagine how awful it would have been if Legard was still lead commentator.

I'd forgotten about those dark days, until now :( Thank fuck the Beeb ditched him.

abunai

Nolan. said:
This race has provided so much entertainment

Rain and more rain
Hamilton and Webber
Hamilton and Button
Rhianna + Rain + Umbrella
Camera man falling over and probably filming Rhianna's under parts
George Lucas
Liuzzi Boots
Kobayshi car camping
Schumi charging up the field
Red shoulder birds + bird friends
Button Bumping Alonso out
Steward flopping around the track like a fish out of water
Button charging and winning
Vettel LOL

So much

Indeed, such a memorable race. I need to sleep now but my mind is going at 300kph.

satriales

anonnumber6 said:
BBC F1 in my opinion did the best job today. For the whole five and a half hours I was not bored, just imagine how awful it would have been if Legard was still lead commentator.
It really was amazing coverage by the BBC. Five and a half hours without a single ad-break, and good constant commentary throughout.

Nolan.

Dibbz said:
Yes F1 is the king.

So much action in this race. I feel sorry for Valencia lol.

Well before Montreal many said it would be hard to top Monaco and before that Spain would be hard to top, and before that China. This just makes me more excited for Valencia. Things seem to be shaping up finally (even though Vettel will probably end up taking the driver's title anyway) for a more openly competitive season.

Juicy Bob

satriales said:
It really was amazing coverage by the BBC. Five and a half hours without a single ad-break, and good constant commentary throughout.
I could listen to Brundle and DC filling for time all day.

Ark

Stop It said:
Anyway, this race just proven that F1 is still the world leading racing series, even despite an epic Le Mans and a decent MotoGP at Silverstone. From a downpour to the race of the championship, I don't mind that it took 4 hours to complete, it was worth it.

I actually can't decide whether the Canadian GP or the Le Mans was more exciting. I really don't think you could call it.

mclaren777 said:
I'm shocked that so many people blamed Lewis for that collision.

Haters will go to great lengths to place blame.

Nolan.

mclaren777 said:
I'm shocked that so many people blamed Lewis for that collision.

Even Button said he saw him and apologized, but I think both were in the wrong there Lewis needs to chill out and not be so hasty at the start. I think he will have watched that race and realized how silly it was considering Button was last on the restart at one point and had to serve a drive through and still won the race. So hopefully he will chill out a little and realize that you don't need to push all the time.

Edit: also this proves that strategy is still king

Dibbz

8204903.jpg

operon

fucking loved this race, schumi I love him, eat that his doubters. Weird seeing button winning definitely more his fault then lewis, though lewis needed to calm down and not force the overtaking, in a race like this staying on the track should be the main thing

Ark

Dibbz said:

This is hilarious.

I fear we'll have to use this image a number of times this season :(

Does anyone know how many laps we were actually racing for?

EDIT: I'd love to see the viewing figures for this race from the BBC.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I blamed him. Quite rightly too.

If you are the driver behind, you can see much more than someone ahead. Just because Button said sorry for not seeing you, doesn't mean that he was at fault for the coming together. Lewis was right up his gearbox when Button looked in the mirror, and darted out just as he came towards the pit wall leaving him with no room.

Hamilton was never going to make that pass on that side. He was too aggressive, and should have played the long game in a wet race.

Nolan.

Ugh how could I forget the safety car, the car just wouldn't go away

:edit Also forgot Massa's DRS charge to the end against Kobay that was cool, Montreal turned out better than I thought

K444WSR

What an awesome race. Button was supreme today considering all the drama he went through and a puncture. I'm a Ferrari fan to the end but was genuinely delighted for button to end vettels dominance. Can't imagine a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can any UK user give info, is iplayer only streaming live content in SD? HD can be downloaded streamed later? Can F1 coverage be streamed live in HD?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ark said:
I actually can't decide whether the Canadian GP or the Le Mans was more exciting. I really don't think you could call it.

Haters will go to great lengths to place blame.
One things for sure, the winning race car of Le Mans is far more aesthetically pleasing than the winning race car of the Canadian GP.

Ark

Edmond Dantès said:
One things for sure, the winning race car of Le Mans is far more aesthetically pleasing than the winning race car of the Canadian GP.

I actually really really like the McLaren livery/design for this year, but you're right. The R18 and the 908's are some of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen.

Animal said:
Just got home from the race. I'm too tired to do anything but sleep.

Where were you sat? Did you see Vettel go wide on the last lap? How was sitting there for ~5 hours? :p

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
DieH@rd said:
Can any UK user give info, is iplayer only streaming live content in SD? HD can be downloaded streamed later? Can F1 coverage be streamed live in HD?
1. Only available as a SD download, there's no option to download the coverage in HD as far as I know.
2. It's not streamed live in HD due to 'technical regulations' supposedly.

Peter303

I got up at 8am (australia) to watch the race on the dvr but only set it for 2.5 hours :( With hindsight I guess the race was still on when I started watching the recording!!! I guess OneHD bailed out at 5am to show nascar or whatever.

The race is being shown again on OneHD at midday so hopefully they cut out all the rain delayed bits.

Ark

Jenson Button has kept his Canadian Grand Prix victory after the stewards deemed no action was needed following his crash with Fernando Alonso.

The McLaren driver had made contact with the Spaniard on lap 44, sending the Ferrari into a spin after touching the right rear wheel when trying to pass at Turn 3.

The incident was investigated by the stewards, who felt no action was needed, allowing Button to keep his victory.

Button also escaped any sanctions for his clash with team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

The stewards said:

1) Exiting Turn 13 there was a legitimate overtaking opportunity for LH as his speed was greater than Jenson Button's

2) At the moment after Hamilton moved to the left to pass, Button looked into his mirror. It appears from the position of Hamilton at that moment [and is confirmed by the drivers] that Button was unlikely to have seen Hamilton

3) At the point of contact Button had not yet moved as far to the left of the track as he had on the previous lap, or that Schumacher had on that lap.

"The Stewards have concluded that it was reasonable for Hamilton to believe that Button would have seen him and that he could have made the passing manoeuvre. Further, the Stewards have concluded that it is reasonable to believe that Button was not aware of Hamilton's position to his left.

"Therefore, the Stewards decide that this was a 'racing incident' and have taken no further action."
Autosport

For all the people slamming blame straight onto Hamilton.

Nolan.

Ark said:
Autosport

For all the people slamming blame straight onto Hamilton.

Also
The Stewards have reviewed video evidence and heard from the drivers and team representatives
regarding the incident on Lap 38 at Turn 3 between Car 5 (F. Alonso) and Car 4 (J. Button.)
Car 5 was on an out lap having pitted. Car 4 appeared to be firmly established on the inside line prior to
the entry of the corner and drove onto the kerb to avoid Car 5 on the outside.
In view of the conditions and the statements by both drivers and their team representatives, the
Stewards decide that this was a “racing incident” and have taken no further action.
Garry Connelly Emerson Fittipaldi
Tim Mayer Roger Pear

a176

Banned
regardless of "fault", hamilton could have backed off when approaching the wall ... there was still the whole race left to try to pass everyone :)

Animal

Banned
Ark said:
Where were you sat? Did you see Vettel go wide on the last lap? How was sitting there for ~5 hours? :p

Front row at the exit of the hairpin. Vettel's mistake happened much earlier in the lap then where I am seated. Last time I was this soaked at the Canada GP I was more than 10 years younger but at least they let them race back then.

I'm an F1 lunatic. I enjoyed today no matter how brutal it was.

I also had supper next to Mark Webber and his father on Friday. He's really a great human being.

f0rk

a176 said:
regardless of "fault", hamilton could have backed off when approaching the wall ... there was still the whole race left to try to pass everyone :)

Hamilton seems to be the only one who doesn't get this.

Shaneus

Holy shit, I really tried staying up but had to go to sleep. Just how much shit did I miss?

From what I can tell:
1) At one stage, Kobay was leading?!?
2) Webber gained a place from his qualifying result.
3) Vettel lost one (yaaay)
4) Button KO'd Hamilton
5) Race was delayed an absolute shitload by the rain.

Is that it? I hate to ask for summaries of races but it sounds like this one was really eventful.

PS. I saw a couple of posts (whether it was due to racing or just general news) of how awesome Webber is. Feel free to go into detail as to why :D

BTW Do we have pics of all the driver pit sketches? I'd probably make the Webber one my avatar if it was available.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I put money on Button and got £85 as a result! What a fucking last few laps. I was going to bitch about how they were being too safe with the safety car in spots, but fuck it, that was an amazing end and paid off for me, literally.

:D

Shaneus

Sew said:
Shaneus and other Aussies, replay on OneHD starting soon :) http://tv-guide.one.com.au/

I stayed up and watched everything, then slept two hours, now I'm watching it again.
Yes!

How soon? I think I should do some shopping, grab some snacks.

Edit: 12:30pm. Awesome. Thanks for the tip! Looks like MotoGP is on. At least an Aussie is winning there :/

Sew

No worries. I ran out for coffee and breakfast so I could settle in again. Happy birthday queen something something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom