• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011 Season of Vettel Fingering the Competition |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right well, now I've calmed down a bit and read through this thread here on my general thoughts:

- Never, ever should have started under a safety car. Robbed us of an epic first few laps as Eddie Jordan and Martin Brundle so rightly said.
- Hamilton/Button was pretty damn exciting and I don't think there was anyone to blame really. You can justify both of their actions and I think it simply comes down to Jenson not seeing him there. I was amused by how both Hamilton and Button racked up the "under investigation" notifications throughout the early stages of the race, it has to be said, haha.
- The right decision was clearly made to stop the race, as boring as it was. Somebody would've just wiped themselves or several other people out, and as much as I like watching crashes I don't want to see it because their cars are drowning. How they dried the track was pretty impressive, I have to say.
- However, the safety car again stayed out way too long. I was so glad Brundle was their to voice my frustration for me as I feel as if he is there to watch a fun race as much as I am which is nice.
- From that point on it was great racing. So many close calls, overtakes, bumps... you name it. The last ten or so laps was just so incredibly close and tense it's almost too perfect to believe. Even without the £85 pay-off at the end I'd still consider it a classic ending.

It's a shame the red flag/safety car dragged it out, but man it was worth sticking with.

mclaren777

Pterion said:
Should have been a 1-2. Damn it!
Yep, and Monaco should have been as well.

I think Mclaren has the better car/driver lineup and I'm disappointed that they have had such poor results lately.

Shaneus

Just watching the replay... Webber dropped to 15th and managed to make it back for a podium? Holy fuck, the guy just smashes it. Needs to drive like that when he starts at the top.

Sew

And even knowing the outcome, seeing him pull it off is edge of the seat stuff (as are the performances of all the front runners). IIRC, everything starts escalating from about lap 45 onward.

Somtaaw

Banned
Button cleared saved his blue shell for the last lap well done!
293px-Blueshell.jpg

Shaneus

Holy shit, puncture for Button (yet he still won), Alonso is high and dry... very busy race, quite entertaining.
Still want to know how Webber hasn't won (or rarely finished second) during this season Some of his drives have been absolutely brilliant. In some cases far better than last year.

Feel a bit sorry for Alonso. He shouldn't have made that move, but to simply having a car sitting just on that one spot that it won't budge from (with no real damage) kinda sucks for him.

Sew

Wait, did they totally leave out the bit where Webber took Schui, but overran the chicane and had to give the place back without letting Button through? And did it successfully?

Fuck OneHD if so. Stolen BBC streams for life.

Shaneus

Sew said:
Wait, did they totally leave out the bit where Webber took Schui, but overran the chicane and had to give the place back without letting Button through? And did it successfully?

Fuck OneHD if so. Stolen BBC streams for life.
I... don't know? Is Webber ahead of Schuey?

I'm watching it on PlayTV so I can rewind and hunt it out if you like. Just tell me when you think it happened.

Edit: I think it's coming up. Oh, and Heidfeld was fucking lucky going over his wing like that.

Sew

IIRC it happened right before Button took 2nd. Schui, Webber and Button were running 2-3-4 respectively. Webber took a massive dive past Shui on DRS, but went too hot and ran through a chicane. He had to let Shui back through, without letting Button through as well, and did it - only for both of them to be passed by Button soon after.

Ah, found vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4UtMay4lgE

I could have just missed it in today's broadcast.

Yoritomo

Harry_Tequila said:
Hadn't noticed it before but people on this board are insanely bitter about Hamilton. He was to blame for hitting Webber at the beginning but really he just slid into him after he drifted onto the wet side of the track. Button was solely at fault for the other accident and even apologised to him for it. Don't get it really.

He's a self entitled little twat blaming everyone else and calling them stupid for things that were obviously his fault. Had Massa not been there to help push the Mclaren around the corner Hamilton would have ended up hitting the outside wall on the exit. To say Massa turned into him is complete bullshit when Hamilton wouldn't have even had the turning radius to take the corner at the angle he entered. I admit after the stupidity he showed in his interview after the Monaco incidents I'm relishing anything that ruins a race for Hamilton.

Shaneus

Sew said:
IIRC it happened right before Button took 2nd. Schui, Webber and Button were running 2-3-4 respectively. Webber took a massive dive past Shui on DRS, but went too hot and ran through a chicane. He had to let Shui back through, without letting Button through as well, and did it - only for both of them to be passed by Button soon after.

Ah, found vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4UtMay4lgE

I could have just missed it in today's broadcast.
Button's still fourth :p

Shaneus

They did end up showing it here (in Victoria) :D

PS. That fuckup by Vettel was epic. Glad that Webber scored third, too. Button thoroughly deserved it, raced for his life in the last 15 laps of the race. Di Resta sucks to DNF, Massa barely taking position from Kobay.

Honestly, very entertaining race.

So, anyone able to explain how Button could have 6 pit stops and still win? Doesn't make sense!

Damn, looks like we missed the post-race in the replay. Is that available anywhere online?

Ark

Shaneus said:
So, anyone able to explain how Button could have 6 pit stops and still win? Doesn't make sense!

5 pit stops and 1 drive through, from 21st to 1st :p

I really have no idea. McLaren were gambling with a wet car setup, so I imagine that payed dividends and the fact that Button was just completely on top of his game for the entire race.

That was Button's best race since Brazil 2009.

Shaneus said:

It's probably down to the amount of times the Safety Car was deployed, which closed the gap between Button and whoever was in front of him!

Lucius86

Banned
Sleeplessnights said:
It's probably down to the amount of times the Safety Car was deployed, which closed the gap between Button and whoever was in front of him!

He was still 10 secs off the pack after one SC as he couldn't catch up the tail in time.

Put simply, Button was immense the moment Hamilton hit him. Perhaps Button should 'crash' into his team mate more often to pump him up.

Stoffinator

mclaren777 said:
Yep, and Monaco should have been as well.

I think Mclaren has the better car/driver lineup and I'm disappointed that they have had such poor results lately.

Anytime I see Hamilton fail, buts a smile on my face,

But what an awesome race, besides the long red flag, it really had everything in it.

mclem

So, how many times did Button actually overtake?

I think he may have made more overtaking manuevers than there were cars in the race.

Orgun

Adamm said:
First pictures of Kubica since the crash

http://szybki.fakt.pl/Kubica-wraca-...cia-po-wypadku,galeria-artykulu,106167,1.html

http://szybki.fakt.pl/m/Repozytorium.Obiekt.aspx/300/0/faktonline/634434818209700435.jpg[img]

[img]http://szybki.fakt.pl/m/Repozytorium.Obiekt.aspx/300/0/faktonline/634434818232357410.jpg[img]

Not to sound too negative, but that hand does not look too good =/[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, that gash up his arm makes me cringe every time I look at it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Pff, you guess. You still had as near as makes no difference 800 points. I didn't even crack 600 because all but one driver from my choices finished the race.

Shaneus

Just read this in the post-race:
Q: (Mattias Brunner - Speedweek) For the Red Bull drivers, how was KERS this afternoon?
MW: On and off.
SV: Yes, it was in the car. On and off.
Seriously, they STILL can't fucking get KERS working consistently? I can't remember seeing any other team have problems except for RBR. Surely something's up with that shit.

Shaneus

iSimon said:
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/981/buttonr.jpg[IMG]
So good. :lol

This is interesting too.

[URL="http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92327"]Hamilton in fresh Red Bull link[/URL][/QUOTE]
I reckon that given the choice, RBR would rather have a solid #2 like Webber than a 50/50 #1 like Lewis.

S. L.

ultimatively i have to say RBR was pretty lucky here, they clearly weren't on pace once the track started to dry and it could have easily been a McL/Ferrari 1234

Shaneus

S. L. said:
ultimatively i have to say RBR was pretty lucky here, they clearly weren't on pace once the track started to dry and it could have easily been a McL/Ferrari 1234
Yup. Another lap and Webber probably would've been fourth. But hey, at least Schumi didn't get a podium!

Why do you think it is? Is it because it's a low downforce track, the weather or both combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom