• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

oaBw2.jpg

Shaneus

It's awesome stuff, really. Second pit walk yielded some better photo ops, including a complete Ricciardo STR and this:
Asr2I.jpg

FWIW, in person the STR has by far the best livery. So elegant.

Not expecting as many good pics over the next few days, but the Caterham signing is the last one on the schedule so I'm hoping to get lucky and score a Vitaly signature.

jambo

What's the go with timing apps for iOS and Android this year?

All I can seem to find is the Soft Pauer $30 app =\

Shaneus

you look beautiful in this pic :p ..

ask someone to take the pic for you to have a better angle :)

EDIT: oh. and I'm sooooo jealous right now .. . enjoy it bro :)

Sadly, they had called the end of the pit walk a few minutes earlier so it was a bit of a shitfight at that point as it was. Suffice to say it's not the only pic I got in front of it, but it's definitely the best ;)

Oh, and for Acrid:
s4GLP.jpg

If an amazing picture of him with Webber doesn't come out of this I'll be severely disappointed.

He still have time. He just has to be a bit naughty and try not to listen to the organisers.. what's the worst that could happen? they'll detain him in the security room for the day, which is almost over :D

We'll bombard Webber on twitter if anything happens to you.. cross those silly barriers and run inside Redbull garage screaming "WEBBEEEERRR WWWEEBBBEERRR .. WHERE ARE YOOOU?"

Sadly, they had called the end of the pit walk a few minutes earlier so it was a bit of a shitfight at that point as it was. Suffice to say it's not the only pic I got in front of it, but it's definitely the best ;)

Oh, and for Acrid:
s4GLP.jpg

Day isn't over yet right? and what's the gig on day 3? in 2008 it was KISS

EDIT: another Q, how's the weather?

iXuet34x5Pjuu.PNG

Shaneus

Gig on day 3? It's Crusty Demons I think :(

Edit: Weather's been spotty, with occasional rain but it's mostly been dry and somewhat humid and overcast. Still managed to get sunburnt though :/

Queuing up for some Petrov/Heikki action and the line is TINY. Well, compared to the Mercedes one, anyway: http://i.imgur.com/hvGhG.jpg

Gig on day 3? It's Crusty Demons I think :(

Get drunk and go, everything sounds good if you're drunk. Unless its Ferrari who won, you need to head down to the Italian street, I forgot the name, but its the one where Italian restaurants are occupying the whole road (ask about it) its nice, you get those "come inside come inside, my mom is the one who's cooking in the kitchen" [italian_accent] .. :)

Shaneus

Ahaha. People who just missed out for a Schuey sig complained they waited four hours trololol. They weren't even signing for 20mins, I think he maybe signed ten items at the most? Hopefully Petrov has more time! In the front half of the queue and it's just started to grow now. Feeling a bit confident!

I'll tell Heikki I like his new helmet ;)

Lygon St?

Edit: No idea why I'm even asking, I know it'll be that one :)

Your probably right. I really can't remember, but if you go during the F1 weekend, you'll see so many Ferrari's parked on both sides of the road. My friend who used to study there said that they all come out of no where on the race weekend, and disappear just as fast

EDIT: anyone has a map of the DRS zones?

Some random predictions for the weekend:

- Marussia & HRT will be subject to the 107% rule
- Webber will end up higher than Vettel
- Schumi will get his first podium
- Kimi will either end up 4th or win it
- Hamilton will be on pole position
- a Caterham will finish ahead of Williams
- Hulkenberg will surprise
- at least 6 cars will retire in the race

:)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Some random predictions for the weekend:

- Marussia & HRT will be subject to the 107% rule
- Webber will end up higher than Vettel
- Schumi will get his first podium
- Kimi will either end up 4th or win it
- Hamilton will be on pole position
- a Caterham will finish ahead of Williams
- Hulkenberg will surprise
- at least 6 cars will retire in the race

:)

- During practice, Shaneus will throw Petrov out of the Caterham and drive himself, crashing into Vettel in the process.
- A freak thunderstorms sends half the cars skittling off, while Kobayashi, Schumacher and Button breeze by, laughing
- Alonso gets passed by Schumacher, then if behind Massa for any reason will complain about this fact on the radio for the entire race.
- Vettel will get pole, but then forget about the first corner and crash horribly.

Shaneus

Get drunk and go, everything sounds good if you're drunk. Unless its Ferrari who won, you need to head down to the Italian street, I forgot the name, but its the one where Italian restaurants are occupying the whole road (ask about it) its nice, you get those "come inside come inside, my mom is the one who's cooking in the kitchen" [italian_accent] .. :)
I've just re-read this... you know Crusty Demons is motorcross douchebags, yeah? Not music. At all. So there's no real music to get excited for short of the mid-90s speed metal they'll play to accompany them while they ride over a bus or something. No bands :/

Shaneus

Here's the full panorama shot, both Flickr and imgur were pathetic resizers:

Edit: Holy cow, Hill's trying very hard to be Eddie, isn't he? Those three just look... uncharismatic or something. I kinda liked Jake, he was fun :(

ANDY_098

15hr30mins to go.

HRT requests a delay to the scrutineering of Pedro de la Rosa's car
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98036
HRT has requested a delay to the scrutineering of Pedro de la Rosa's car until Friday morning, while it continues to work on completing its second chassis.

The Spanish outfit lodged a request with the Australian Grand Prix race stewards on Thursday to be allowed to delay scrutineering of car number 22, with the FIA duly agreeing for it to be examined before 11am.

HRT only managed to shake down one of its cars at Barcelona last week during a filming day, before shipping its contenders to Melbourne for the first race of the campaign.

De la Rosa's car will need to go through scrutineering before it will be allowed to take part in practice.

-----

They don't even care; look for who is cheap, qualified and that is all. Not what fans demand but cheap, sells, and fills the the spot

Sky clearly have a much larger budget than the BBC ever did. Costs would have had no impact in selecting Lazenby as the lead presenter.

Hammer24

Banned
Taking into consideration that there will be two DRS zones, and Mercedes´ new f-duct system:
Do you guys expect them to finish on the podium, with atleast one driver?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
What's HRTs justification for even continuing in the sport? This is their third year and they still cant get cars completed in time for the first race. They can't be making money surely.

ANDY_098

Mercedes F1 team's rear wing concept deemed legal by FIA
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98035

Mercedes' hopes of delivering on its strong winter testing form have received a boost, with the FIA confirming ahead of the Australian Grand Prix that a radical wing concept the team has pioneered is fully legal.

The Brackley-based outfit stirred up interest from its rivals throughout pre-season testing with its W03 featuring its own version of a rear-wing F-duct concept - that some suspected was activated by vents being opened when the upper wing elements moves during DRS activation.

It is understood that rival teams queried the legality of such a system – which vents the air through the endplates and in to the main plane, to help stall the wing and boost straight-line speed – with the FIA.

However, despite the way the system effectively makes use of driver movement when he activates the DRS, the FIA has no doubts that it complies with the regulations.

When asked by AUTOSPORT to clarify the situation, the head of the FIA's F1 technical department Charlie Whiting said: "Some teams are questioning it on the basis that they thought F-ducts were banned. Well, F-ducts are not banned.

"At the end of 2010 everyone was using driver operated F-ducts and the regulations that were changed specifically banned the use of driver movement to influence the aerodynamic performance of the car – that got rid of that generation of so-called F-ducts.

"At the beginning of last year, with engineers being unable to unlearn things, they wanted to try and get the effect via different means, and they talked about opening and closing a duct by having interaction with the suspension. We said no, you cannot do that because that is not the primary purpose of the suspension system – which is to insulate the car from undulations in the road.

"There was then a lengthy discussion in the TWG at the beginning of last year about that, to make sure everyone was clear about it. It seems a couple of teams went away from that meeting with the impression that F-ducts were banned in general. Whatever an F-duct is. But they are not."

Whiting would not reveal further details of how the Mercedes system works, but said that he viewed it as completely passive.

"What it appears some teams are doing is that when the DRS is operated, it will allow air to pass into a duct and do other things," he explained.

"That is all I can say – you will probably have a pretty good idea of what it might be doing, and other teams will as well. But it is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn't interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

This year's must have tech?

ANDY_098

What's HRTs justification for even continuing in the sport? This is their third year and they still cant get cars completed in time for the first race. They can't be making money surely.

Old joke:

How do you make a small fortune in racing?

Start with a big one.

This has been a very short winter for the teams as they had to homologate chassis before testing. For teams such as HRT and Marussia who operate on a tiny budget this is a big hurdle for them to clear. Especially since they both failed some crash tests which would have an impact on the manufacturing of every other part of the car.

They have made it to the first race weekend (ready to race, not necessarily qualifying) for the third season in a row, and although they may struggle early on due to lack of testing, they should be given far more respect than most people give them.

Shaneus

Simon lazenby - The Presenter (The Jake of Sky Sports)

EDIT: Great pictures Shaneus, keep them coming :D
Will do! I'm going to keep posts to a minimum then on Monday (if I'm not hungover) sort and upload to Flickr or something. I'll also link up to my brother's Flickr, who has a far better camera and less bias toward Webbers, Ricciardos and Russians.
One more for today, then will leave it I think. Particularly happy with how I managed to fluke this one:
img_1544eaait.jpg

ANDY_098

^ I love that car.

Argentina on verge of grand prix deal from 2013 season
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98025

Argentina is on the verge of securing its return to the Formula 1 calendar, the country's president said on Wednesday.

Cristina Fernandez said the country has agreed a three-year deal that will see grand prix racing return to the South American nation from 2013.

She said the race will be hosted at a circuit in seaside resort Mar del Plata, 400 km from Argentina's capital Buenos Aires. There is currently no circuit in Mar del Plata.

Pic from the old thread

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Old joke:

How do you make a small fortune in racing?

Start with a big one.

This has been a very short winter for the teams as they had to homologate chassis before testing. For teams such as HRT and Marussia who operate on a tiny budget this is a big hurdle for them to clear. Especially since they both failed some crash tests which would have an impact on the manufacturing of every other part of the car.

They have made it to the first race weekend (ready to race, not necessarily qualifying) for the third season in a row, and although they may struggle early on due to lack of testing, they should be given far more respect than most people give them.

I'm sure they are doing an impressive amount of work with a small amount of money but I mean surely at some point you just have to recognise you aren't going to be able to compete or make money and stop.

The other two new teams came in with a specific angle, Virgin were trying something new in terms of CAD, Lotus were trading on nostalgia, both have just given in to big money now, HRT just doesn't seem to have a purpose or a plan to establish itself properly. Can they really be any kind of a success just bobbing along the bottom of the standings?

This race is soooo close, I can feel it. And thanks for the pictures, Shaneus. Too bad you'll have to get banned after the race for not bringing any NeoGAF related banner or pictuer to the event. A NeoGAF card (w/ logo and "Believe") signed by one of the drivers would've been a great opportunity. It's a shame you wasted it.

ANDY_098

I'm sure they are doing an impressive amount of work with a small amount of money but I mean surely at some point you just have to recognise you aren't going to be able to compete or make money and stop.

The other two new teams came in with a specific angle, Virgin were trying something new in terms of CAD, Lotus were trading on nostalgia, both have just given in to big money now, HRT just doesn't seem to have a purpose or a plan to establish itself properly. Can they really be any kind of a success just bobbing along the bottom of the standings?

By that rationale there will only be a handful of teams on the grid.

I see what you mean about HRT having no reason to be there. But you could say the same thing about most of the teams at the beginning of their life. They all started off at the back of the grid with nothing but they slowly progressed forwards. HRT and Marussia have made a massive investment into where they are now and as yet have had no reward, leaving now will leave them with nothing, but over time they will improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom