• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Red Bull drivers have yet to be tested against what many consider to be top rated talent. Hamilton spent an entire year eating shit yet for some reason everyone still considers him a top talent. He has 1 championship, has always had a top 3 car and Even according to McLaren Red bull didn't have the fastest car on the grid from Suzuka onward last year.

Watch Vettel's pole laps, every single one, because there's more of them than any other driver except schumi. When they nail it it's with millimeter precision. Shortening lines to cut off thousandths of a second.

Watching Vettel at Turkey last year engage DRS partway through the turn 8 section and catching a drift at 160, full throttle. His Pole lap last year at Suzuka. Slower car, better driver, getting pole at Suzuka. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTelG0Ir8g

It's fucking ridiculous to think that he isn't a top tier driver. He holds a shit ton of records and at 25 years of age only has Senna and Schumacher to compete with when it comes to a potential legacy he'll leave behind.

Here's how it goes:

Hamilton:
Does well = OMG! what an amazing drive. Truly a talent!
Does poorly = his personal life is effecting him. Team let him down.

Vettel:
Does well = Whole team is built around him. Let's see him on a weaker team
Does poorly = see what happens when he doesn't have a dominant car!

I'd say Alonso is the most versatile and adaptive driver on the grid but Vettel is the outright fastest driver. Hamilton below those two.

Yen

http://www.lotusf1team.com/Competitions,8748.html
How many British GP podiums have Lotus Renault/Renault/Benneton/etc had? 8, 10 or 12?

Fantomex

Not entirely true, he won his very first race in the wet (and in a Torro Rosso no less).

Should be much closer if everyone is setup for the wet, and I imagine they will be.

McLaren in 2009 was fucking terrible. Vettel's top tier, but not the best of the grid. I'd be really surprised if Alonso or Hamilton (whilst he's not imploding emotionally) wouldn't have done the same with the Red Bull car for the last 2 years.

I would hate it if he already had 3 WC's at his age, I'd love to see him go to Ferrari to see how he copes with a car that's not the best whilst still having pressure to win WC's. At least that's more interesting to see than him coasting off in the sunset every race.

Wouldn't really say Alonso excels in the wet either.

-edit

http://hrtf1team.com/es/noticias/entrenamientos-libres-del-gran-premio-de-gran-bretana.html

Someone notify HRT that Silverstone has changed a few seasons ago, or else Narain is going to get lost.

Alonso likes to spin in the wet. Vettel's first win in a sub par car was in wet conditions. Being "good in the wet" has a lot to do with how the vehicle is set up. If your team makes the wrong call you look like a loser. If you are the only team that makes the right call you end up a hero.

Formula 1 Article - Wet Racing Conditions

When it comes to prowess in the wet, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso often stand head and shoulders above their peers. But as is often the case with racing drivers, neither is really sure why. It’s just what they do. While they might endlessly analyse why their cars perform as they do, they find it less easy to identify their own skill.

“I think it’s just a mixture of things coming together on those races,” Hamilton suggests. “I think we’ve been very fortunate, I would say, to drive for good teams and have good cars in those circumstances.”

Of his stunning victory here in 2008, when he literally seemed to walk on water as so many of his rivals skidded off the soaked track, he adds: “I really still don’t know until today why we were so quick that weekend and didn’t really have any problems at all during the race. I think I had one moment when I went straight on at Abbey, maybe, but otherwise it was quite a smooth race, and I really still don’t know, today, why it all came together. But it was obviously a combination of the tyres, the good pit stops, the good call strategies and maximising the grip on a track which I’d learned for a few years before I’d even got into Formula One, knowing where that grip was and being able to put that knowledge into play.”

“I don’t know really,” Alonso echoes. “I think it’s a combination of factors, one will be for sure how competitive is your car. I think either Lewis or me, we’ve been normally lucky to drive in our career good cars and winning cars, so in dry and wet conditions, normally it’s a help, for sure. And then I think it’s the experience that you have and how many wet races you do. Probably with Lewis, racing here in the early categories it rains a lot, and it rains a lot in my region, in Spain. It normally rains a lot of the time, so same also with the experience. The first races I did in Formula One in wet conditions, 10, 11 years ago, I make a lot of mistakes that now I try to avoid. So the more races you do, the better you feel.”

With severe weather warnings in the region, both should be in very strong positions this weekend. On top of that, McLaren have some much-needed updates on their car, though the weather may make them difficult to quantify.

“I’m really, really excited to see how they behave on the car and if they actually deliver what we think they’re going to deliver,” Hamilton says. “I don’t know if it’s as big as what Red Bull brought at the last race, but who knows? I think our car generally goes a little bit better on high-speed circuits than it does at low-speed circuits, so fingers crossed it will be a little bit stronger this weekend.

“After what happened in Valencia I’m excited that we have another race and that we have so many races ahead of us and that we still have plenty of opportunities to continue fighting for this championship. That’s what racing is all about.”

Alonso thinks Silverstone, where he won last year to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Scuderia Ferrari, will suit his car, which is always bad news for his rivals.

“It should be a little bit better for us and suit our car characteristics a little bit better. As we saw at the beginning of the year in the high-speed corners and also as we saw in Mugello, the car was performing quite well. Hopefully we see a good Ferrari here this weekend, with me and Felipe. I think, that it also all depends on the weather. We know that here anything can happen, or more rain than dry at times we will have, looking at the forecast, so we need to be ready for all.

“We need to be prepared for any track conditions at any time and try to have a smooth qualifying - and that will not be easy when the weather is changing. You need to be in the right moment on the track to do the lap. And then the race, you know, to score as many points as possible.”

Whatever happens weather-wise, this looks set to be another nail-biting British Grand Prix.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

So the official Formula 1 site is wrong? Can you guys tell me what sites I should be reading instead? From what I've researched Alonso has a lot of wins in wet conditions, more than Vettel. I never said Vettel sucked, I said he was good, where as Alonso excels, judging by his wins and finishes.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Can't wait for Sunday now.
1pm for the GP and then 3pm for Federer to destroy Murray in Wimbeldon final.

EDIT:
FUCK!! The tennis is on at 2pm!

Nolan.

Can't wait for Sunday now.
1pm for the GP and then 3pm for Federer to destroy Murray in Wimbeldon final.

EDIT:
FUCK!! The tennis is on at 2pm!

I get the feeling that won't happen, it all seems a bit too convenient. Anyway on topic I would still prefer a dry race personally. I guess i'm on my own but I don't think a wet race is what this season needs there's enough craziness happening as it is without one.

Timbuktu

Something isn't right that the British GP clashes with the Wimbledon mens final. why wasn't it last week, when Wimbledon had a rest day on Sunday?

Omiee

Here's how it goes:

Hamilton:
Does well = OMG! what an amazing drive. Truly a talent!
Does poorly = his personal life is effecting him. Team let him down.

Vettel:
Does well = Whole team is built around him. Let's see him on a weaker team
Does poorly = see what happens when he doesn't have a dominant car!

I'd say Alonso is the most versatile and adaptive driver on the grid but Vettel is the outright fastest driver. Hamilton below those two.

Thank you!!.

I see we are having the vettel discussion again. Man its always the same in all sports, i think iv had 10000 conversations about kobe and lebron, federer and nadal, messi and ronaldo, vettel and hamilton. The first in every vs is just better.

The only one who can be better than vettel from time to time on the grid at the moment is alonso. The guy suprises me sometimes, he is really fast and is a true champion.

Hamilton has been in a freaking mclaren for his whole carreer. Alonso and Vettel had to start at sub par team with alonso even starting at minardi. Kimi started at sauber if im not mistake, webber started in a low team even button did so. I dont care what car hamilton had at the first half of 2009 the guy has been in a contending team every year since entering the sport. No way he is top tier. The guy takes risk which benefit him sometimes and sometimes he ends up looking like a chump.

The race should be exciting if its raining.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Silverstone advising fans not to turn up tomorrow unless you have a camping pass.
Turning away GA pass holders, this is turning into a total farce. Going to be lots of angry fans tomorrow and Sunday.

Dilly

Banned
Red Bull did not become a contending team untill 2009.

Yes, and STR wasn't a bad team in 2008.

Vettel has had 1 season where he wasn't in a WC capable car. He showed his talent at the right time at STR, just the year before Red Bull became a topteam. You can't just say 'I don't care Hamilton's car was shit, McLaren was a contending team' because that doesn't make sense at all and McLaren clearly weren't in 2009.

Omiee

Yes, and STR wasn't a bad team in 2008.

Vettel has had 1 season where he wasn't in a WC capable car.

He did some races in 2007 as well but sure your right. He did prove him self at STR to deserve a seat at Red Bull. I still think the guy is top tier. Watching him during his qualy's is like a symphony in motion.

Drifting last year at monza, taking the turn at jakuza with his DRS open. The way he overtook rosberg at spa last year and alonso at monza. The guy is one of the most likable if not the most likable people on the grid.

How many people do you see at the grid right now who started in a top 3 team car day 1?

Nevasleep

Silverstone advising fans not to turn up tomorrow unless you have a camping pass.
Turning away GA pass holders, this is turning into a total farce. Going to be lots of angry fans tomorrow and Sunday.
That sucks, I'm guessing because of car parks being used for camping?
They should try and set up more park and rides.

Omiee

Also did i forget to mention the guy is freaking 25 years old. The guy will have 5 championships under his belt when its all said and done. You just know newey and vettel will stay together at RBR for another 2 years.

Just in time for to Horner replace bernie and make sure vettel will continue to win races lol.

kidding

Dilly

Banned
He did some races in 2007 as well but sure your right. He did prove him self at STR to deserve a seat at Red Bull. I still think the guy is top tier. Watching him during his qualy's is like a symphony in motion.

Drifting last year at monza, taking the turn at jakuza with his DRS open. The way he overtook rosberg at spa last year and alonso at monza. The guy is one of the most likable if not the most likable people on the grid.

How many people do you see at the grid right now who started in a top 3 team car day 1?

Like I said, you can't dismiss the 2009 season from McLaren, it's nonsensical.

Omiee

Like I said, you can't dismiss the 2009 season from McLaren, it's nonsensical.

Hamilton had the best second half of the season if im not mistaken. Why is the 2009 so bad? They had a fast car. Brawn just had the advantage on everybody at first half of the season.

Omiee

Look at this beauty, i wish they could keep this for the rest of the year.

racepictures_1341594609.69.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder what the chances of the race being postponed are considering the forecast for the next two days. Or even the chance that the race will be a half points race, although that would take a special set of circumstances with the new 4 hour time limit in place now.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;39579748 said:
I wonder what the chances of the race being postponed are considering the forecast for the next two days. Or even the chance that the race will be a half points race, although that would take a special set of circumstances with the new 4 hour time limit in place now.

most likely the race will start behind the SC.

Dilly

Banned
Hamilton had the best second half of the season if im not mistaken. Why is the 2009 so bad? They had a fast car. Brawn just had the advantage on everybody at first half of the season.

the car was shit

jordan was whinging about it every race, he was never a contender in 2009, ever.

point

who cares aboutsecond half of seasons, no one wins championships in second halfs of seasons

Sloane

Banned
Heavy rain expected during qualifying today but possibly no rain during the race tomorrow. Guess that will be interesting.

Oh, yeah, goodbye thread.

Joni

Funny how sunny the Tour is and how hard it is raining on Silverstone. Red flag situation in Q2. Button out in Q1.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I recorded the qualifying and extended the time but was 2 minutes short :( Glad to see Alonso on pole with Schumacher not far behind.

Also people who live in Canada and have Netflix, Senna is now available.

Edit: ugh wrong thread.

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

Say your goodbyes to this thread in the new one.

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

There's a new thread guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom