• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The list so far:

Number 13 - Nigel Mansell
Number 14 - Mika Hakkinen
Number 15 - Lewis Hamilton
Number 16 - Nelson Piquet
Number 17 - Emerson Fittipaldi
Number 18 - Jack Brabham
Number 19 – Graham Hill
Number 20 – Jochen Rindt

Personally think that Lewis has no right to be ranked higher than the likes of Brabham, Piquet and Fittipaldi.

Adamm

1npuz.jpg

Not as cool as I would have hoped. :(

Had some good money from the last race in f1racemanager, my team is now:

kobi - schumi - toro rosso engine and chassis - Mobil 1

Not too bad for my first fantasy year I think.

Alonso's somewhat optimistic about the British GP:

The Ferrari man believes there is a reasonable chance he could go to bed a happy man this coming Sunday. “I think the characteristics of the track will suit the F2012,” reckoned Fernando. “Therefore Silverstone should be a little bit better for us. We saw that these faster tracks suited us earlier in the year and also at the Mugello test. Therefore I expect to see a good Ferrari with me and Felipe this weekend. However, a lot will depend on the weather and it seems there is likely to be more rain than dry conditions. So we will have to be ready for everything. We will be hoping for a smooth qualifying, choosing the right moment to go on track and then, in the race, bring home as many points as possible.”

Edmond Dantès;39528120 said:
Gilles Villeneuve ranked as 12th greatest driver of all time by the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18690210

Still think Clark will be ranked number one.

I love Gilles and everything that he represents - huge balls, huge skill in anything with an engine. I've read several books about him. Can't get enough. My taste in drivers certainly leans towards those type of guys. The romanticized racing driver. That said, he has no place being ranked so high (and he's always ranked this way by publications). Take a look at those names below him. The majority of them multiple world champions, all of them with at least one title.

Gilles had 6 wins and 2 poles in 5 years. OK they ran less races, reliability was horrendous, and his Ferraris were not always up to snuff. The numbers actually do lie. Ralf has the same number of wins and 4 more poles for crying out loud!

I'm definitely not a "stats are everything" guy. Michael isn't the best ever. They do mean something however. Just being the fastest guy in what was frankly a weak era for drivers only buys you so much. I rank him MUCH higher than his totals would suggest, but it's silly to have him displacing two differnt three-times WDCs. I mean seriously.

A "Fastest Ever" list would see him way up there. I'd actually love to see a stats-be-damned list where outright pace and overtaking ability were the primary criteria. I just think a "Greatest Ever" list needs to be a bit more factual.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love Gilles and everything that he represents - huge balls, huge skill in anything with an engine. I've read several books about him. Can't get enough. My taste in drivers certainly leans towards those type of guys. The romanticized racing driver. That said, he has no place being ranked so high (and he's always ranked this way by publications). Take a look at those names below him. The majority of them multiple world champions, all of them with at least one title.

Gilles had 6 wins and 2 poles in 5 years. OK they ran less races, reliability was horrendous, and his Ferraris were not always up to snuff. The numbers actually do lie. Ralf has the same number of wins and 4 more poles for crying out loud!

I'm definitely not a "stats are everything" guy. Michael isn't the best ever. They do mean something however. Just being the fastest guy in what was frankly a weak era for drivers only buys you so much. I rank him MUCH higher than his totals would suggest, but it's silly to have him displacing two differnt three-times WDCs. I mean seriously.

A "Fastest Ever" list would see him way up there. I'd actually love to see a stats-be-damned list where outright pace and overtaking ability were the primary criteria. I just think a "Greatest Ever" list needs to be a bit more factual.

Sounds pretty great to me :) Love Gilles.

Edit: The drivers who raced with rate him very high, which is important I think.

Omiee

DAMNNNN the RB8 is looking nice. It might be the best livery in years.

i wish they could keep it for the rest of the year.

my picture is on there

dpl1205jy061.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Very nice. Those with pictures on there, is there a way to tell where your picture is? As in did they tell people?

mblitek

Most importantly, he's Canadian! Take that U.S.A., we'll stick with hockey too.

Interesting quotes & pictures:

"It was very impressive and so all the teams will be looking closely at what they do at Silverstone," Mercedes’ Ross Brawn is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

Horner, however, is keeping expectations down.

"So many cars have looked fast at different events," he told the Mirror.

"For sure we made a step forward at Valencia, but the circuit challenge of Silverstone is totally different.

"It has high speed corners and quick changes of direction and, probably, a lot cooler temperatures with the likelihood of rain as well."

Sam Michael, key rival McLaren’s sporting director, agrees with Horner that it is too soon to predict more Red Bull dominance from now on.

"It’s clear Red Bull have taken a step forward, although I don’t think it’s as big as the pace that Sebastian Vettel showed (at Valencia)," he told reporters during a team sponsor teleconference on Wednesday.

Australian Michael said he thinks Red Bull’s Valencia dominance was less to do with the car updates, and more to do with simply getting the finicky tyres to work perfectly.

"A second a lap is quite a lot when you’ve changed fairly secondary parts on the top surface of the floor," he said.

"I’d be pretty surprised if they maintained a second a lap gap to the rest of the field."

Makes sense, I didn't realize the update was so small. Especially when a tenth is considered a good improvement!

Good article/quotes from Button: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18728713

Heikki "playing" Soccer:

For Shaneus & I, I hope we aren't on the blue of the car! You guys should donate to Wings for Life, as someone with a spinal cord injury - thank you!

Yes! Our Red Bull tire washer is back!

More coming later. Alternatively, you guys should check out a more dedicated F1 forum with many familiar faces...it's www.fastestsector.com

Edit: Whoops my post is late, took awhile looking at pictures. Thanks Omiee for donating :)

Shaneus

Most importantly, he's Canadian! Take that U.S.A., we'll stick with hockey too.

Interesting quotes & pictures:

Makes sense, I didn't realize the update was so small. Especially when a tenth is considered a good improvement!

Good article/quotes from Button: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18728713

Heikki "playing" Soccer:

For Shaneus & I, I hope we aren't on the blue of the car! You guys should donate to Wings for Life, as someone with a spinal cord injury - thank you!

Yes! Our Red Bull tire washer is back!

More coming later. Alternatively, you guys should check out a more dedicated F1 forum with many familiar faces...it's www.fastestsector.com

Edit: Whoops my post is late, took awhile looking at pictures. Thanks Omiee for donating :)
No need to be thanked, it's for a good cause :)
I do hope there's a way to find out where one's picture is. Sure, it's cool knowing it's on there, but it'd be better so we can keep an eye out in high-res photos and such.

But still, it does look good and it's for a great cause. Awesome idea.

PS. Here I am (sort of)
I wonder if "wingman" in the URL means I'm on the wing? At least it shows when I signed up (before everyone else ever).

fogberto

Neo Member
OH GOSH.

I sent my picture in, and I thought I'd check the nose to see if I'm on there. It'd be ridiculous trying to search for yourself anywhere else (unless it was a super high-res shot) and being on the nose would be awesome.

Didn't expect to see myself there of course, since there's so many pictures, and the nose is a comparatively small area of the car.

I think I found myself o_O

Need to find a different angled shot of the nose though, something like this one but higher res, just to confirm!

070.jpg

Can anyone help? :D

Mastah

If vettel is average than Webber is sub par. Based on webber's history that definitely isn't the case. So that means that Vettel is getting faster and has grown since his junior formulae days. He has won in sub par cars and spends more time at the track on practice days than any other driver on the grid. He might lack the raw seat of the pants talent of Hamilton but makes up for it in hard work and preparation.

I said good driver, not "average driver", so don't twist my words.

Yeah, he is getting faster week by week, so while in Canada he lost to McLaren and Ferrari in comparable car, 14 days later he could pull away from Hamilton at a rate of 1 second per lap. Seems right. Also lapping 1 second faster at the beginning of races in 2010 and 2011 was simply his talent, not outstanding domination of Red Bull cars over McLarens and Ferraris. Similar story to other Newey champions, like Hill or Villeneuve. But when Newey rocketship dissapeared for them, so did their magic and they returned to being "just" good drivers. That's why I can't wait for a moment when Vettel moves to non-Newey team and he'll get quick or ordinary car, not rocket on wheels, we'll see how superdupermegaquick he really is.

So far this season Hamilton and Alonso were always quick. Vettel on the other hand wasn't and he was faster than Webber as many times as he was slower than him, which shouldn't happen for supposedly the fastest driver on the grid.

And Pete Sampras was an average junior and Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick.

Besides, Vettel is 2 years younger than Hamilton, which makes a big difference as a junior. Also, I believe when, for example, Schumacher was winning junior championships, Vettel was already in F1 by the same age.

The only thing that is making the difference is superior car. Unless you want to believe Hamilton and Alonso are both up to 1 second slower than Vettel and Webber, as witnessed many times since 2009. I mean, just look at the last race from 2011 - Webber wins by 30 seconds from Button in 3rd place and Alonso in 4th. Do you believe Webber, who is not regarded by anyone in the paddock at the same level as Alonso or Hamilton, did it through talent or rather in another Newey rocketship? I know the answer, how about you?

Dominant cars can create top drivers, eventhough in reality they are just solid ones (Massa in 2006-2008 Ferrari, when he is now alongside Alonso?). Vettel is very good driver, who enjoys benefit of having dominant cars and he used them to good effect, but to call him the fastest, when truly fastest guys has to compete with Vettel in much slower cars, is silly.

Mastah

In my opinion he's been the best driver all from 2010 through to now.

+1 I used to hate him and I guess I still do thanks to his behaviour on various occasions, but my oh my, it's a true pleasure to watch his driving and what he can extract from his cars. The best driver since I started watching F1 (1999), there, I said it.

For Silverstone I keep fingers crossed for maiden Sauber win, that would be something special.

I think we've got a good car, so I think we are in a good position. I think we can fight for the victory and the podium at this track and that has to be our aim

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100918

I love his attitude, he knows car is good and so is he, so the best result is in reach. C'mon Checo, you got 3rd and 2nd already, make the next step :D

Shaneus

Damnit.
Where will my photo be on the cars?
Due to technical reasons, the exact position on the car cannot be confirmed.
:(

I'd be very surprised if, because of this, they wouldn't take a stack of high-res photos of the car and make them available so people can find themselves. But I tell you, I'll be pissed if I'm on a bit of aero that has to get covered up by duct tape because of some stupid FIA ruling!

Dilly

Banned
I said good driver, not "average driver", so don't twist my words.

Yeah, he is getting faster week by week, so while in Canada he lost to McLaren and Ferrari in comparable car, 14 days later he could pull away from Hamilton at a rate of 1 second per lap. Seems right. Also lapping 1 second faster at the beginning of races in 2010 and 2011 was simply his talent, not outstanding domination of Red Bull cars over McLarens and Ferraris. Similar story to other Newey champions, like Hill or Villeneuve. But when Newey rocketship dissapeared for them, so did their magic and they returned to being "just" good drivers. That's why I can't wait for a moment when Vettel moves to non-Newey team and he'll get quick or ordinary car, not rocket on wheels, we'll see how superdupermegaquick he really is.

So far this season Hamilton and Alonso were always quick. Vettel on the other hand wasn't and he was faster than Webber as many times as he was slower than him, which shouldn't happen for supposedly the fastest driver on the grid.

The only thing that is making the difference is superior car. Unless you want to believe Hamilton and Alonso are both up to 1 second slower than Vettel and Webber, as witnessed many times since 2009. I mean, just look at the last race from 2011 - Webber wins by 30 seconds from Button in 3rd place and Alonso in 4th. Do you believe Webber, who is not regarded by anyone in the paddock at the same level as Alonso or Hamilton, did it through talent or rather in another Newey rocketship? I know the answer, how about you?

Dominant cars can create top drivers, eventhough in reality they are just solid ones (Massa in 2006-2008 Ferrari, when he is now alongside Alonso?). Vettel is very good driver, who enjoys benefit of having dominant cars and he used them to good effect, but to call him the fastest, when truly fastest guys has to compete with Vettel in much slower cars, is silly.

Internet high five.

Adamm

Anyone got a pic of the marussia car from this weekend?

It has de villota's star on it, but the car looks orange from the picture I seen.

Wes

venison crêpe
Why have BBC changed their online player?. It's fucking terrible, can't even go fullscreen.

To cope with the Olympics and being able to link to every sport/discipline from within the player itself.

And you can make it go full screen. It's in the top right corner.

Nolan.

I think as this season has gone on I have developed a hatred for David Croft, and it only continues to accumulate the more I have to listen to his voice, guy is so annoying (why does he have to place so much emphasis on about 70% of his words). His jokes are so forced and tedious 'kinda like a young groom on his wedding night'... plus he just doesn't seem to know much about much, anyway mini bitch over Webber is looking good Silverstone always seems to be a good track to him.

Oh shit. Anyone see the campsite stuff on Sky there.
Total mudfest already.

I'm going to the race on Sunday, glad I (well my fiancee) forked out for the local park and ride from Northampton!

Being my first visit to Silverstone, anyone got any advice for good vantage spots to stake out? We've got general admission tickets only, no stand seats.

Orgun

Is there some kind of running bet or joke with F1 staff to see how many times someone can get "For sure" into a sentence on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom