• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck, what a race for Perez. Sauber really fucked him by leaving him out a lap longer and then killing his sprint with a cautious radio message. I'm not sure how I feel about if it were a message passed on from Ferarri - it would make sense if Perez is (rightly) the next Ferarri driver, plus Ferarri REALLY needed that win. A second would mean nothing if they were beaten by a Sauber. With that said, it was driver error which really screwed Perez, which obviously Ferarri had no control over. I do think that radio message was bad, psychologically, and a partial reason for running wide.

Can he just replace Massa now please? It was hilarious how poor Massa was in this race. Not only is Perez a great driver, he's a top guy. Reminds me a lot of Webber.

Not sure what to think about Vettel's comments about the HRT. It was pretty out of order because I think it was Vettel's fault, but on the other hand I am starting to question why a team like HRT are allowed to compete, even if they just scrape inside of the 107% rule. They're clearly not worthy of the sport and not making any progress.

LOL at Maldonado having to retire so close to the end again. Makes me so happy! Hopefully that will continue for the rest of the season.

It's a shame it dried up. I was looking forward to taking Jerk's money.

Also, Sky were shit during the red flag. I started playing Counter-Strike cos they were so dull.

D_prOdigy

Neither part would accept that deal. Massa is too proud to admit he's finished and Peter Sauber is one of the smartest F1 people and would never accept a terrible driver that lost his edge.

I want to believe that Sauber is too passionate to let Perez go anywhere mid-seaon, but the way Kaltenborn phrased it a few days ago (forgot where I read the exact quote), there was a hint that there might be some sort of contractual clause in place should Ferrari want Perez. I just can't think of what Sauber would get in return for giving him up, other than having Massa parachuted in... which is obviously not getting much at all.

wabo

Banned
untitled-203kzg.gif

Short version

What an asshole... considering 120% of crash's fault is his. Even if was NK's fault, inappropriate.

Randdalf

Really happy to see Senna finally proving his worth, he always seems to crash or mess up on the first lap but it came good today.

Ark

There is something confusing me. Given how fast the McLaren (and indeed the rest of the pack) are compared to Ferrari and Sauber, how were Alonso and Perez able to stay so far ahead? If it was purely good driving then it was an almighty drive from them both! Im guessing that the margins between the teams are just narrower in the wet weather.

Button had great pace on the inters after his contact with Karthikeyan and Hamilton was pretty much keeping the same pace as Perez throughout the entire race.

All the teams ahead of Caterham, Marussia and HRT are all very close to each other this year. Even ignoring the midfield, the front runners are barely half a second to a second in front of the traditional midfield teams in the dry, let alone throwing in some rain.

You can definitely see how much of a difference removing the blown diffuser has had on the entire grid.

Also, it's just a magically confusing season, nothing seems to make sense so far this year :)

I want to believe that Sauber is too passionate to let Perez go anywhere mid-seaon, but the way Kaltenborn phrased it a few days ago (forgot where I read the exact quote), there was a hint that there might be some sort of contractual clause in place should Ferrari want Perez. I just can't think of what Sauber would get in return for giving him up, other than having Massa parachuted in... which is obviously not getting much at all.

Bianchi of course!

Really happy to see Senna finally proving his worth, he always seems to crash or mess up on the first lap but it came good today.

He always seems to get a bit unlucky or just make a mistake. Sort of reminds me of Hulkenberg's first season at Williams in 2010.

ANDY_098

An engine deal isn't cheap you know. If there is a contractual clause for Perez then Sauber would have been well aware that they could lose him at any time, and unless they are completely oblivious to how bad Massa has been then they will probably have replacement in mind already.

NHale

There is something confusing me. Given how fast the McLaren (and indeed the rest of the pack) are compared to Ferrari and Sauber, how were Alonso and Perez able to stay so far ahead? If it was purely good driving then it was an almighty drive from them both! Im guessing that the margins between the teams are just narrower in the wet weather.

Wet weather diminishes car differences allowing drivers to shine. However the track was dry for 1/3rd of the race and Perez was still the fastest driver on the track so it was indeed a sensational performance from him with Alonso coming a close 2nd.

Sergio Perez is a Ferrari Youth Academy driver and was supported by them to get the Sauber spot (probably a discount in the engine deal) so it's probable that Ferrari has a clause to reclaim him. And even without a clause Peter Sauber wouldn't refuse to let a driver go from a modest team like Sauber to a team like Ferrari. When a top team invites you to drive for them, you don't refuse because it could be your only choice.

You forgot the most important thing Ferrari can offer to a team struggling to get sponsors: Money!

D_prOdigy

An engine deal isn't cheap you know. If there is a contractual clause for Perez then Sauber would have been well aware that they could lose him at any time, and unless they are completely oblivious to how bad Massa has been then they will probably have replacement in mind already.

I'm sure they do, I just can't think who. Gutiérrez isn't ready. Bianchi? Is he even ready?

Clearly it would call for 476th return of Heidfeld.

Omiee

they were able to keep their tires hotter than other teams i guess.

i know this is not an appropriate question to ask but why is a team like HRT still in this championship? They cant make a step up with their car, they had the same problems at australia as they had last year ( not racing ). I was one of the guys who thought it was a good thing for f1 to have as many teams as possible but they are just obstacles at this point.

Ark

It's no secret that Perez is a magician with these Pirelli tyres.

All of the 'rookies' from last year and this year are all looking so, so quick and talented. Even Maldonado is showing signs of some decent talent.

i know this is not an appropriate question to ask but why is a team like HRT still in this championship? They cant make a step up with their car, they had the same problems at australia as they had last year ( not racing ). I was one of the guys who thought it was a good thing for f1 to have as many teams as possible but they are just obstacles at this point.

The FIA isn't going to kick them out without a good reason, they probably bring in money so FOM won't kick them out either and they already left FOTA last year.

As long as they keep getting inside the 107% rule, they're technically doing just fine. They're not going to get any sponsors though if they just keep trundling along at the back getting in everyone elses way, I expect they'll go the way of Minardi in a year or two.

I think it's an appropriate question - I just said as much in my last post.

They're a joke team and bring down the image of the sport. They need to get out or become a real team.

Omiee

I think it's an appropriate question - I just said as much in my last post.

They're a joke team and bring down the image of the sport. They need to get out or become a real team.

Are they making a profit? I mean their car has maybe 1 or 2 sponsors. There is no real use for them.

McLaren had some problems to get the intermediates on temperature, iirc.

Ark

Are they making a profit? I mean their car has maybe 1 or 2 sponsors. There is no real use for them.

Of course not. Considering only the top ten teams get anything from the magical pot o' prize money, HRT are almost certainly making a loss or at the very best breaking even.

Parch

Barichello is right now participating in the first Izod Indy Car race of the season. Interesting how he says he feels like a rookie because it'll take some time to adjust to the different series.

Of course not. Considering only the top ten teams get anything from the magical pot o' prize money, HRT are almost certainly making a loss or at the very best breaking even.

The only thing they're breaking is their car and their drivers motivation.

Ark

I'd like to say also that I think Lazenby and Hill (because Brundle was fine anyway) have done much better this weekend than they did last weekend. I'm actually beginning to like them now.

ANDY_098

I'd like to say also that I think Lazenby and Hill (because Brundle was fine anyway) have done much better this weekend than they did last weekend. I'm actually beginning to like them now.

Same here. Damon looked far more comfortable in front of the camera this week, they will continue to improve over the season as they grow into their roles. I'm still not sure why Georgie Thompson is there though does she do anything besides ask a few questions? I think Anthony Davidson has been under used so far as well.

I hate that they're doing ads during the post-race coverage. Pre-race is acceptable, but post-race? Hell naw. Watching the BBC highlights now.

dalin80

Banned

Pretty much the odd conditions, at the end while still a good 10s off regular pace dry pace the rest of the field and the big teams started to get back on pace and go faster, another 10/15 laps then it might have been a different story and if mclaren hadn't grandly screwed up LH's pit stops things would have been much closer.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
While Gutierrez is Sauber's official reserve driver, he's busy with GP2. Jules Bianchi seems like a more logical choice. He's Force India's reserve, so someone else would have to fill in those shoes. McLaren's Gary Paffett filled those shoes in Melbourne funnily enough.

EDIT: Oh right, Bianchi has a drive in the Formula Renault 3.5 series. Someone's gonna have to give up some series drive.
EDIT2: I bet Alguersuari would love another go :p

So I'm watching the BBC race and DC is still pretty good, but his new sidekick is pretty annoying with his "how about that!" catchphrase.

Nando's race made my day. Glad he got another win in, which will probably be the only one he's getting this year.

The earliest improvement is coming in Barcelona, which is depressing, but I don't think this will be his last win this season.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Not a bad race really, seen better though.

Also noticed a distinct lack of drive by trolls so far compared to last year. It makes the thread far more pleasurable to read.

Plus lots of new faces posting in this thread. Now it's time for the rest of you lurkers to join in on the fun.

Ark

Edmond Dantès;36346588 said:
Watch MotoGP to get your racing fix. Season opener is soon and with the rule changes it may well regain its rightful place as the best motorsport discipline.

Is it still on the BBC?

Polyphony

Fell asleep during the red flag last night, it was almost 5 am...

Rewatching the race on Speed at the moment. Should have stayed away from this thread until I finished :p

ANDY_098

Watch MotoGP to get your racing fix. Season opener is soon and with the rule changes it may well regain its rightful place as the best motorsport discipline.

MotoGP is one of those motorsports which I always enjoy it when I watch it but don't follow whatsoever. Don't really know why either, I'm sure if I started following it then it would only get better.

It's a pretty busy weekend for motorsport next week, WTCC, BTCC, ELMS, IndyCar and WRC. Then IRC and GT1 starts the week after. I think I should manage to get by with a few weeks without F1!

Is it still on the BBC?

Yes.

What rule changes?

Ark

MotoGP is one of those motorsports which I always enjoy it when I watch it but don't follow whatsoever. Don't really know why either, I'm sure if I started following it then it would only get better.

Yes.

Excellent, I'll watch it again this year then. I watched it on and off last year, I think I'll try and follow the entire season this time around.

I'm the same though, I only really watch MotoGP when I have some spare time. I enjoy watching it I've never bothered following it really.

Woke up late from watching a movie last night and the clocks going forward 1 hour so watched the full race replay at 12:30 to 5pm, so good that my ipad battery hit 11% and I had to charge it mid race.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What rule changes?
1000cc engines is the most significant and the 'claiming rule'.
Claiming Rule Teams (CRT) allows for the participation of independent teams with lower budgets. CRTs will be given twelve engines per rider, six more than the other teams and more fuel – 24 litres (5.3 imperial gallons) instead of 21 litres (4.6 imperial gallons) – but will be subject to a factory team buying, or "claiming", their engines for €15,000, or €20,000 with the transmission.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's great how DC has proven his worth in recent years as broadcaster after been written of by many as a charisma free dullard, especially during his McLaren career.

Chris R

What a shame Perez was told that the team needed that position, just before he had the 'misfortune' to go wide on that turn. But I guess if he wants to take Massa's seat this or next year he better get used to Ferrari team orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom