• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
When is Ron Dennis ever happy?

I'd be extremely surprised if RBR isn't sticking with Renault's (now no-brand) engine next season.

Juicy Bob

Two different engines would almost certainly require two different chassis for each of the cars. Since the chassis has to be homologated at the start of the season, it would be incredibly impractical to do even if you could.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, to be fair, tyre test lasts only for one day and I see no point of bringing both drivers to this test.
Plus Wehrlein has some experience with 2015 rubber, so he will do just fine to gather data

operon

Did you forget 2014 already, lol.

They're all easy going when everything is going their way. HAM vs VET in a competitive car would be a repeat of 2007, and it would be great.

Everyone mentions 2014 with Vettel as if its proof thats he only good when the going is good conveniently forgetting that that "poor performance" allowed him to go to Ferrari for free

andshrew

Everyone mentions 2014 with Vettel as if its proof thats he only good when the going is good conveniently forgetting that that "poor performance" allowed him to go to Ferrari for free

The Alonso / Ferrari relationship breakdown is what allowed him to go to Ferrari, you're not really suggesting that he intentionally had a bad season to trigger break clauses in his contract for a seat he couldn't possibly have known would be available at the start of the year? He just had a bad year which was compounded by the fact his new teammate was having a comparatively great one.

Business

Wouldn't it be easier to just accept he had an unimpressive 2014?

I always thought it was fairly simple. He goes from a car that demolishes the field to one that can barely get podiums, and Ricciardo goes from a car that can barely score points to one that's fighting for podiums. Not really hard to see why one of them was up for it, and one really wasn't.

Or to put it another way, when your previous best position was 7th, a podium looks like a massively appealing result.

After vetoing Red Bull with Honda, McLaren wants to see Sauber with the Japanese engines. :p

A good place for The Stoff and Matsushita in 2017. Honda domination is coming.

lttp but I just came across the BBC interview with Horner, saying something about Ron Dennis won't be happy about Red Bull's engine supplier. What else can that possibly mean other than a Honda engine?

Acura?

Honda have played Ronbo like a fiddle.

DD

Apparently they'll rebrand their Renault engine as TAG, and that's why Horner said that Dennis won't be happy about it.

CVJ1aNvXAAApbIH.jpg

Domination is coming.

What a stupid decision from Hamilton to not follow Nico straight into the pits for that first stop and switch to the harder tyre. He had the superior pace at the end of that first stint and probably could have fought his way into DRS zone early into the second stint.
But Nico won fair and square. We need more of this kind of Rosberg in 2016.

Toto with his big talk about letting their drivers race when they clearly are engineering the races.

Umm...Lewis was the beneficiary of that strategy during his string of wins early in the season. And when Nico bitched about the team not giving him an alternate race strategy, we all told him to quit being a baby.
I know it's not what we as fans want, but its only fair Nico get the treatment Lewis was getting the first two thirds of the season when he was the alpha on Saturdays and Sundays.

Merc already takes a risk not doing the Ross Brawn/Jean Todt hierarchy of drivers within the team. I think its fair on their part to let the boys race but not outside the framework of the team philosophy, which is both cars finishing 1 and 2.
Hopefully Ferrari puts out a beast of a package next year so that Merc race strategy is forced to think on its feet more often. Theyve shown last two seasons their strategists arent all that great at adapting to changing conditions.

Anyway.
Im very impressed with Verstappen. I never bought into any of the hype from before the season, so if anything, I had a jaded opinion before he even started the season. The dudes radio transmissions definitely indicate his young age; F1 radio comms are filled with drivers sounding whiny and self entitled, but Max was the king of the roost for that. Quite the sense of entitlement he has and I dont feel the skill gap between him and Carlos Sainz is as large as Max seems to think it is.

But I love how fearless Max is with his overtakes. I know hes had a few collisions, but I feel the car control hes demonstrated time and time again proves that hes not just doing what 2012 Grosjean or Maldonado did, just being reckless idiots. Hes made some mistakes for sure, but by and large his overtakes were clean and fair.

I cant wait to see him in the senior Red Bull team in a few years, his fearlessness and aggressive driving reminds me of Kobayashi and Williams era Montoya. Like JPM, Max is not intimidated by anyone out there on that track.

I think he was arguably the third or fourth most impressive driver on the grid this year.
Vettel, Alonso, Ham, Nico, Max, Ricciardo

More than 50% of fans voted Max Verstappen as Star Driver of 2015.

What, was he the new hotshot this year or what?

Yeah he provided a huge share of entertainment in some otherwise dull races with his Mad Max charges. And he did it, for the most part, without leaving a trail of carnage and destruction the way some other aggressive young drivers have.

Antagon

Has anyone got any footage from the blue flag situation with Max last race? Missed it during the race and haven't found it afterwards.

itsgreen

Has anyone got any footage from the blue flag situation with Max last race? Missed it during the race and haven't found it afterwards.

I only saw Lewis being upset in the hairpin corner, before that he was still some distance behind Max, after the hairpin Max let him pass on the straight...

jdw_b

AUTOSPORT TEAM PRINCIPALS' TOP 10
1 Lewis Hamilton (229pts)
2 Sebastian Vettel (180)
3 Nico Rosberg (113)
4 Max Verstappen (77)
5 Daniil Kvyat (69)
6 Fernando Alonso (57)
7 Valtteri Bottas (52)
8 Sergio Perez (48)
9 Daniel Ricciardo (47)
10 Kimi Raikkonen (37)

Kimi has been trash, why is he even in that top 10. He's got to have one of the biggest proportionate points deficits to his team mate

Business

What a stupid decision from Hamilton to not follow Nico straight into the pits for that first stop and switch to the harder tyre. He had the superior pace at the end of that first stint and probably could have fought his way into DRS zone early into the second stint.
But Nico won fair and square. We need more of this kind of Rosberg in 2016.

I'm glad he was given the chance to try and fail at his own strategy after the insinuations he was making in the last few races.

Ark

I'll put one up if no one else wants to step in for the OT.

It will just be a photoshopped picture of German Jesus though ;)

Toto: Driver lineup change possible if tensions will grow

looks like feathers are flying in Mercedes garage

Time for a dividing wall in the garage like Rossi and Lorenzo had years ago, no data sharing, no duplicate strategies, no chit-chat, just let these moaning fannies do their own thing.

Does Rosberg even deserve a new contract?

Arai says Honda's new PU is designed and in testing, all performance problems will be fixed for the 100th McLaren Honda race in Melbourne.

In Arai I Trust.

operon

I always thought it was fairly simple. He goes from a car that demolishes the field to one that can barely get podiums, and Ricciardo goes from a car that can barely score points to one that's fighting for podiums. Not really hard to see why one of them was up for it, and one really wasn't.

Or to put it another way, when your previous best position was 7th, a podium looks like a massively appealing result.

Someone gets it, Vettel won 4 wdcs on the trott and gets a crap car, it hard to motivate yourself with that success never mind getting a dog of a car. Ricciardo came from torro rosso with lower downforce than the red bull so didn't miss the exhaust blown diffuser like Seb did, and coming from the junior team obviously had something to prove. A lot seemt o make out that year proved Vettel was rubbish when it doesn't. Kyviatt finishing a head of Ricciardo doesn't instantly make him the better driver especially with the engine problems this year

DD

And Piquet Jr. will add another... thing, to his list. He'll test Nissan's GT-R LM LMP1 prototype in New Orleans, this month.

Zeknurn

Lots of news
@adamcooperF1: The FIA has confirmed the 21-race calendar for 2016 - and as such agreed to officially increase the max number of races from 20 to 21
@adamcooperF1: Next year's Mexican GP has been moved from Nov 7 to Oct 30 so it's back to back with Austin again, and not Brazil

@adamcooperF1: Big news as FIA WMSC gives mandate to Bernie and Todt to make "recommendations and decisions regarding a number of pressing issues in F1"
@adamcooperF1: It clarifies those issues as "such as governance, Power Units and cost reduction"

@adamcooperF1: The FIA says "Power Units homologated in previous seasons may now be re-homologated".
@adamcooperF1: FIA also confirms that Ferrari will supply a 2015 engine to a fourth team in 2016 - in other words, @ToroRossoSpy...

More Maldonado avatar bets pls.

Yes.

Zeknurn

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/12/02/...cclestone-mandate-to-push-f1-changes-through/

The FIA said: “The World Motor Sport Council approved, by a near unanimous number (just one vote against), a mandate for the FIA President, Jean Todt and the Representative of the Commercial Rights Holder, Bernie Ecclestone to make recommendations and decisions regarding a number of pressing issues in Formula One such as governance, Power Units and cost reduction. Mr Todt and Mr Ecclestone expressed their intention to establish conclusions on these matters by 31 January, 2016.”

“The number of power unit tokens allowed for in-season development will be allocated as follows over the coming seasons:

2016 – 32, 2017 – 25, 2018 – 20, 2019 – 15

“Any new Power Unit manufacturer will be allocated 15 tokens in their first year, and 32 in their second.”

“Power Units homologated in previous seasons may now be re-homologated. Previously nomanufacturer could supply more than one specification of PU. The World Motor Sport Council was also advised that the FIA had agreed for Ferrari to supply a fourth customer team with a 2015 specification Power Unit in 2016.”

“The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two.

“Of the 13 sets of dry tyres available to each driver, the tyre supplier will choose two for the race (only one of which must be used in the race), and one set (the softest available) that may only be used in Q3. Each driver may then choose their remaining ten sets from the three available compounds

“Unless intermediate or wet-weather tyres have been used, a driver must use at least two different specifications of dry-weather tyres – at least one of these must be the one chosen by the tyre supplier.”

There are also changes to the Virtual Safety Car: “In the event of a Virtual Safety Car (VSC), DRS will now be re-enabled immediately after the VSC period. Furthermore, the VSC may also be used in practice sessions to reduce the amount of time lost during a stoppage.

Finally, “The maximum number of Championship events in a season has been increased to 21 (from 20).”

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-confirms-21-race-calendar-for-2016-661345/
Date Venue
20 March Melbourne
3 April Bahrain
17 April Shanghai
1 May Sochi
15 May Barcelona
29 May Monte Carlo
12 June Montreal
19 June Baku
3 July Red Bull Ring
10 July Silverstone
24 July Hungaroring
31 July Hockenheim
28 August Spa-Francorchamps
4 September Monza
18 September Singapore
2 October Sepang
9 October Suzuka
23 October Austin
30 October Mexico City
13 November Interlagos
27 November Abu Dhabi

Alright Bernie, time to clean house by bypassing the F1 commission.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They can have majestic 1st of May parade in Sochi before the race

And Bernie can sing The Internationale

Top Bottom