• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Walshicus

thetrin said:
Has anyone gotten around to reading the Star Trek Countdown comic? It's written by Abrams and crew, and is meant to be a prequel to the upcoming movie.

It's a short 4 parter. I really liked it. It
connects to the regular continuity
really well.
I hated it. Read like it was written by a five year old - the dialogue, the situations... just pretty cringeworthy.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm on the downhill side of the seventh season of DS9, are Voyager/Enterprise worth looking into? I never cared much for what I saw in random episodes on TV, but I can't get enough of a Star Trek fix right now.

JdFoX187 said:
I'm on the downhill side of the seventh season of DS9, are Voyager/Enterprise worth looking into? I never cared much for what I saw in random episodes on TV, but I can't get enough of a Star Trek fix right now.
"Downhill side" as in finishing it up?

JdFoX187

Banned
Dax01 said:
"Downhill side" as in finishing it up?
Yeah, I have three discs left. It's gone by much faster than TNG did. Probably because it seemed to be a more quality show throughout its run, whereas TNG didn't get good toward the second half. The serialized nature keeps me watching episodes when I should go to bed.

JdFoX187 said:
Yeah, I have three discs left. It's gone by much faster than TNG did. Probably because it seemed to be a more quality show throughout its run, whereas TNG didn't get good toward the second half. The serialized nature keeps me watching episodes when I should go to bed.
Ah. Set aside a whole afternoon or day to finish it up. The last nine episodes (10 if you count "What You Leave Behind" as two), the last three discs you have to go through, should be seen all at once.

You won't be able to stop anyway, judging by what you have said.

maharg

idspispopd
JdFoX187 said:

Watch the first few episodes of voyager to see if you like it, but if you don't like it within the first few you probably won't like it. For Enterprise just skip to the fourth season and watch that, possibly skipping the last episode. You won't be missing anything.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm wanting to acquire a copy of A Stitch in Time, but I can't find a decent copy for a decent price anywhere. Half.com/Ebay and Amazon are all outrageously overmarked. Any suggestions?

Bernbaum

Finished season 2 of TNG

Gotta admit, I prefer Pulaski to Crusher. Her more assertive character brings a more serious tone to the show.

Geordi made some pretty big gains throughout the series and I like his new role as chief of engineering. He’s now one of my favourite characters, and they’ve done some great things with him this season. Same with Worf- he has some good moments, and gets an occasional laugh, but some of his acting is still a bit flat.

Beard Riker is a better character than Schoolboy Riker from season 1. He seems a lot more commanding in his attitude and doesn’t seem to gaze wistfully at Picard as much as he did in season one. I liked the episode where he was on officer exchange with the Klingons.

Wes is less annoying and his uniform is less stupid than in season 1.

I’m really beginning to notice how one-dimensional and plain Troi is. Her character is the least improved this season. Aesthetically, she looks a bit plumper than in season 1, and I don’t reckon her boobs would be as good as her costume suggests they may be. The episode with her mum trying to crack on to Picard was dumb, and that episode felt like it was right out of early season 1.

Overall, the general Star Trek Universe still seems a little shallow, but there are more and more moments here and there that kind of flesh out the setting. I like the little poker games that the crew occasionally have- it’s rare when there is a scene that isn’t directly related to the primary plot, so all those accessorial moments help bring more depth to the show.

So yeah, was great to see a bigger emphasis on certain crew members, and the show is much less a case of ‘Star Trek: Captain Picard’, which characterised season 1. The season was less ‘whimsical’ than season one, and I like the more serious tone. I hated all of the Q episodes in season 1, but the one where he introduced the crew to the Borg for the first time was one of the better episodes in the series. That episode had a great sense of ominous foreboding about, even though I know more about the true threat the Borg pose from having watched First Contact.

Sucks that the season ended with possibly the weakest episode yet- a sorry excuse for ‘clip episode’ with Riker on the medic bay table, recollecting various moments. Stupid episode.

I’m addicted to the Wire at the moment, and will probably watch all of that through before I return to TNG for season 3.

Walshicus

XiaNaphryz said:
I was always partial to the TOS-TNG crossover "Federation," despite how First Contact completely screws it up.
Federation is pretty much the best Star Trek book written. It sets up the discovery of Warp Drive far better than First Contact its Zephram Cochrane isn't annoying as hell. I defy anyone to read Federation and then say First Contact is a better way of handling that period. They manage to bring WW3, first contact, Kirk, the Guardian, Picard,
the Borg and the Romulans
together without being forced or contrived.

Also, Enterprise
destroys a Warbird by cutting it's head off with the Saucer section, and having its crew crushed by the loss of inertial dampening.
Up there with the Adama manuever.

I don't know if you're watching TNG for the first time or not but I reckon that overall you will find that Crusher compliments Picard much better than Pulaski, who always seemed to me like a mediocre female McCoy.

Also season 3 is the turning point for that show and it ultimately renders most of season 1 and 2 completely unwatchable in a lot of places. All the good stuff is still to come.

MC Safety

Bernbaum said:
Finished season 2 of TNG

Geordi made some pretty big gains throughout the series and I like his new role as chief of engineering.

It always seemed patently ridiculous that Geordi went from flying the ship to chief engineer.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MC Safety said:
It always seemed patently ridiculous that Geordi went from flying the ship to chief engineer.

when Geordi was up front, did they have a named chief engineer?

Bernbaum said:
Finished season 2 of TNG

Gotta admit, I prefer Pulaski to Crusher. Her more assertive character brings a more serious tone to the show.

First of all: great summary. Enjoy reading them. About Pulaski: for the two times I've been through the entirety of season two, I've always liked her less than Dr. Crusher. Looking back, though, given how Crusher was such a bore throughout the entire series, Pulaski probably would've been a better choice to stick to. I'd to watch it through season two again to be completely sure, though.

I’m addicted to the Wire at the moment, and will probably watch all of that through before I return to TNG for season 3.
I'm beginning The Wire this week.:D

levious

but Dr. Crusher was hot

MC Safety said:
I think they did, but he wasn't a main character. He probably only made a few brief appearances.

interesting, you sort of threw me for a loop with your comment, I mean, I remember him being on the bridge, but if someone asked me who Chief Engineer was, I would have said it was always Geordi...

Bernbaum said:
Beard Riker is a better character than Schoolboy Riker from season 1. He seems a lot more commanding in his attitude and doesn’t seem to gaze wistfully at Picard as much as he did in season one. I liked the episode where he was on officer exchange with the Klingons.

I wanted to like Riker in season 1, but he always reminded me of "Potsie" in Happy Days. Once he grew the beard, the character developed a lot more swagger. The exchange officer episode was great in that regard.

Bernbaum said:
Sucks that the season ended with possibly the weakest episode yet- a sorry excuse for ‘clip episode’ with Riker on the medic bay table, recollecting various moments. Stupid episode.
I don't think anyone really thought it was a good idea. But there was a writers strike and the producers wanted to squeeze out one more episode.
MC Safety said:
Until this year, that was pretty clearly in the lead for most implausibly quick Star Trek promotions.

Maybe those front seats inject great engineering knowledge, though. Worked not only for Geordi, but also O'Brien.
Lucky Forward said:
I wanted to like Riker in season 1, but he always reminded me of "Potsie" in Happy Days.
:) I can see that. Worth noting that Potsie himself ended up directing a few episodes of DS9 and Voyager.

Dax01 said:
First of all: great summary. Enjoy reading them. About Pulaski: for the two times I've been through the entirety of season two, I've always liked her less than Dr. Crusher. Looking back, though, given how Crusher was such a bore throughout the entire series, Pulaski probably would've been a better choice to stick to. I'd to watch it through season two again to be completely sure, though.

Crusher was always easier on the eyes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Dax01 said:
She had the exact same personality as Leonard McCoy which always annoyed me.

Archer

I just finished the Enterprise tv show on DVD.

Really enjoyed it. Shitty ending tho. They really insulted what Enterprise was with the TNG tie-in.

Fav characters were T'Pol, Trip and Phlox. The "Mirror, Darkly" episodes were two of the best on the show.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Right. The problem was they didn't have a "main cast" member of engineering, and the role was filled with guests and one-offs in the beginning. How in the world they let this gigantic hole in their cast slip by is a mystery to me.

Couple that with the fact that Ensign La Forge was more-or-less a character with no purpose, it's completely understandable that the writers just bumped him into Engineering with little explanation.

Archer said:
I just finished the Enterprise tv show on DVD.

Really enjoyed it. Shitty ending tho. They really insulted what Enterprise was with the TNG tie-in.

Fav characters were T'Pol, Trip and Phlox. The "Mirror, Darkly" episodes were two of the best on the show.
I never really liked the way Trip and T'Pol's relationship was handled. Is Enterprise your last series?

Bernbaum said:
Finished season 2 of TNG

Ugh. She was AWFUL. Pushy in the most irritating way and that whole thing where she could never get used to Data or trust him because he wasn't organic was soooo forced.

levious

JoshuaJSlone said:
Until this year, that was pretty clearly in the lead for most implausibly quick Star Trek promotions.

Maybe those front seats inject great engineering knowledge, though. Worked not only for Geordi, but also O'Brien.

Sulu as well? How many promotions did he have before becoming captain?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sir Fragula said:
Federation is pretty much the best Star Trek book written. It sets up the discovery of Warp Drive far better than First Contact its Zephram Cochrane isn't annoying as hell. I defy anyone to read Federation and then say First Contact is a better way of handling that period. They manage to bring WW3, first contact, Kirk, the Guardian, Picard,
the Borg and the Romulans
together without being forced or contrived.

Also, Enterprise
destroys a Warbird by cutting it's head off with the Saucer section, and having its crew crushed by the loss of inertial dampening.
Up there with the Adama manuever.
Don't forget the Ferengi! :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
levious said:
What rank was he in ST1 and ST2? I'm assuming at least Lt Commander in ST1 and Commander in ST2 (there was a cut scene in ST2 where Sulu talks about getting his command, and by then even Chekov was a Commander. Uhura's likely a Cmdr by then as well, not sure if Scotty had reached Captain rank by then). Someone needs to check his rank insignia in those. ;)

Also note that it's not entirely out of the question to have multiple people with the rank of Captain stationed on the same vessel. This is true on carriers, where the ship's CO, XO, air wing commander, and chief engineer could all have the rank of Captain.

GDJustin said:
Couple that with the fact that Ensign La Forge was more-or-less a character with no purpose, it's completely understandable that the writers just bumped him into Engineering with little explanation.
Yeah. They never had anyplace useful to bump poor Ensign Mayweather.
levious said:
Hmm. Well, it's true that we never see Sulu do much besides be helmsman in TOS and the first five movies, but he was still slowly rising in rank over the years.

It's worth noting there was supposed to be a scene in Star Trek II with Sulu where Sulu was taking some sort of command test, but it wasn't included. To hear Takei's version, Shatner was ruining it by hogging a scene that wasn't supposed to be about him. :lol
XiaNaphryz said:
What rank was he in ST1 and ST2? I'm assuming at least Lt Commander in ST1 and Commander in ST2 (there was a cut scene in ST2 where Sulu talks about getting his command, and by then even Chekov was a Commander. Uhura's likely a Cmdr by then as well, not sure if Scotty had reached Captain rank by then). Someone needs to check his rank insignia in those. ;)
According to Memory Alpha, he was a Lieutenant Commander by the time of The Motion Picture, and by the time of Wrath of Khan was at full Commander.

Archer

Dax01 said:
I never really liked the way Trip and T'Pol's relationship was handled. Is Enterprise your last series?

Ya, seen 'em all now.

Was really sad and quite lame the way Trip went out. He and T'Pol should've gotten together. Would've been nice to see something positive come from the series.

By the way, Blalock did a good job with her character. You could see her struggle with her emotions. Probably one of my favorite Vulcans.

Bernbaum

WyndhamPrice said:
I don't know if you're watching TNG for the first time or not but I reckon that overall you will find that Crusher compliments Picard much better than Pulaski, who always seemed to me like a mediocre female McCoy.
This is my first watch through of any Star Trek series. Haven't seen any of TOS, so I know nothing about Bones, except from Karl Urban's depiction in the recent film. On that note, I watched the new film just before putting in the last two discs of season 2, so I was well acquainted with Pulaski before knowing anything about Bones.

I knew that most people favoured Crusher over Pulaski before I even started season 2, but like I say, most of that dislike seems to stem from the fact that Pulaski is Bones with a skirt.

Happy to hear that there are big leaps in quality with season 3. Season 2 had some great episodes though- the ones that instantly come to mind include the one where Data is put on trial to deem whether he is Starfleet property; the one with Data contacting that little girl on a doomed planet; and Riker aboard the Klingon ship, as well as the wargames episode with the Hathaway- which were all some of the best Star Trek yet.

Having recently watched and enjoyed the latest film at the cinema, I kinda wish I had started off with TOS and the old films before starting TNG and watching Abrams' adaptation.

Dax01 said:
First of all: great summary. Enjoy reading them.
Cheers.

Dax01 said:
I'm beginning The Wire this week.:D
It's way awesome. I've started season 2, and will blitz through them, and then probably go on solid TNG and finish them as there are no other shows I want to watch at the moment. Maybe DS9 next year...

Bernbaum said:
It's way awesome. I've started season 2, and will blitz through them, and then probably go on solid TNG and finish them as there are no other shows I want to watch at the moment. Maybe DS9 next year...
Don't do that to me. DS9 this year.

Anyone wnat to give me a run down of the important/best episodes of the original series?

I saw the episode (I think it was the pilot) where Kirk's friend and that lady become alien gods and I know there is an episode that introduces Kahn which im gonna watch but I was wondering what else is worth seeing. I don't want to watch all of them because some of them are a bit too cheesy for my taste.

maharg

idspispopd
City on the Edge of Forever, Let That Be Their Last Battlefield (this one's a love/hate one though), Court Martial, Amok Time, Mirror Mirror, Trouble With Tribbles, Journey To Babel, The Enterprise Incident, Plato's Stepchildren are the standouts for me off hand, other than those you mentioned. Space Seed is the Khan episode.

GDJustin said:
Right. The problem was they didn't have a "main cast" member of engineering, and the role was filled with guests and one-offs in the beginning. How in the world they let this gigantic hole in their cast slip by is a mystery to me.

engineering was never supposed to be a main set piece so they didn't need one!

It's funny I was a really big Star Wars fan growing up and I used to hate everything about Star Trek. I was just had this fealing that it was way too nerdy and seemed low budget compared to SW. Plus when you see those people that memorize the whole klingon language and shit you just want to shake your head.

But now after seeing the new movie, I saw some scenes of episode 3 again and it seemed so lame and childish now. The prequels are just so overdone and now Lucas keeps ruining the original trilogy with a bunch of cartoony nonsense. So now im more interested in getting into Trek. :lol

Zen

Banned
So I've been rewatching TOS, or watching it proper for the first time (I only ever saw a handful of episodes in my time growing up) and we just finished watching 'The Naked Time', which frankly really impressed me as far as the episodes I've seen so far. It wasn't an episode that had the greatest 'little moments' or anything but for the Spock scene as well as Shattners scene when they are both drugged. It was the first time I think they'd explicitly said that Spock is half human, and dwelving into his issues with his mother, as well as expressing that he feels shame for his friendship with Kirk, was interesting.

Spock seems angrier than I remember him (granted I'm only 3-4 episodes into the series and it's given that chracters need time to evolve), but most of my context of understanding Spock came from seeing a couple of the later TOS movies so he might have mellowed with time. In any case I guess new Spock in the latest movie isn't as far removed from TOS Spock as I thought he was.

Anticitizen One said:
It's funny I was a really big Star Wars fan growing up and I used to hate everything about Star Trek. I was just had this fealing that it was way too nerdy and seemed low budget compared to SW. Plus when you see those people that memorize the whole klingon language and shit you just want to shake your head.

But now after seeing the new movie, I saw some scenes of episode 3 again and it seemed so lame and childish now. The prequels are just so overdone and now Lucas keeps ruining the original trilogy with a bunch of cartoony nonsense. So now im more interested in getting into Trek. :lol
Here's hoping you like what you watch. The TOS episodes mentioned and its movies...

Anticitizen One said:

Same thing happened to me. And don't forget to watch "Balance of Terror", my favorite episode of all time.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm just watching DS9 reruns airing on Space. I forgot how good the first season finale, "In the Hands of the Prophets" was. Complex characterizations, relevant issues, good pacing, great dialogue, it makes me a bit sad that they pretty much dropped the majority of the Bajor plot off after the Dominion came along.

BorkBork said:
I'm just watching DS9 reruns airing on Space. I forgot how good the first season finale, "In the Hands of the Prophets" was. Complex characterizations, relevant issues, good pacing, great dialogue, it makes me a bit sad that they pretty much dropped the majority of the Bajor plot off after the Dominion came along.

I could have done without the fire cave bits.

And I refuse to feel the love of the Pah Wraiths.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Instigator said:
I could have done without the fire cave bits.

And I refuse to feel the love of the Pah Wraiths.

Yeah not a big fan of the fire caves, definitely the weakest part of the series finale. But the first season finale really was good. It's been a while since I've seen it, and it holds up beautifully.

Dax01 said:
This thread needs a title change. Namely getting rid of the "XI news" bit.

IMO calling Star Trek "XI" is a disservice to it since it doesn't really have anything to do with the old ones and 90% of them sucked anyway.

It would be like calling Batman Begins "Batman 5"

Top Bottom