• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

deleted

This thread pointed me towards the quicklooks. I love them!
Been watching one or two a day for the past week.
Its perfect to have them running when I'm browsing GAF/the web.

Mahonay

Banned
Why does Gotham City Impostors remind me so much of Bioshock 2? Are they using the same framework, or something?
That was a 2K game made by a different developer. So probably not.

They likely both use the Unreal engine (unless Monolith is using something in house). It's also completely possible some of the developers played the Bioshock 2 multiplayer and pulled some inspiration from that. I have no idea though really, I never played Bioshock 2. Interesting comparison though, I'm curious to hear from anyone else that played both games.

Only thing apparent to me is the TF2 inspiration.

Haunted

Wow, Evochron actually has seamless space -> planet transitions.

The game doesn't look super interesting or great from the QL, but fuck me if that wasn't impressive and I'll buy it just to support someone actually doing it.

Like Vinny said, "This is something I've been wanting in videogames for two decades".

Nopren

Have they ever considered announcing on twitter or something, when they're doing a quick look of a multiplayer game. I'm sure they would be able to fill up a multiplayer match faster.

Mahonay

Banned
Have they ever considered announcing on twitter or something, when they're doing a quick look of a multiplayer game. I'm sure they would be able to fill up a multiplayer match faster.
Probably more trouble than it's worth. They eventually got games going pretty quickly.

Duffyside

Banned

A couple of times, kind of. But I think they want to give an honest look at the player community and how difficult it is to get into a game. Also there are some Giant Bomb fans that would buy every game to try and get in on the Quick Looks, because they're nuts. It's probably better then that the GB guys don't do that.

theDeeDubs

Man, J&D actually looks pretty fun. I missed it and never gave it a shot because I thought 2 and 3 weren't very good. I hate to be that guy that hates on sequels, but it looks to be much more enjoyable.

StuBurns

Banned
Man, J&D actually looks pretty fun. I missed it and never gave it a shot because I thought 2 and 3 weren't very good. I hate to be that guy that hates on sequels, but it looks to be much more enjoyable.
The original was much better than the sequels, same with Sly.

I played the timed demo last night and really liked the feel of it. I just wasn't sure how much was actually in there. Just on humor alone I will be buying this today on the 360. I was not expecting this to be as good as it looks. A rather pleasant surprise.

I honestly had the exact opposite response to the demo. The movement felt a little swimmy, and I'm really not in the market for another class-based persistent-unlock shooter. The QL did put it in a really good light, but I think I would be a lot more open to it if was a bunch of cosmetic unlocks only. I really have no desire to play multiplayer games with gameplay-relevant unlocks anymore.

the vehicle controls are terrible. on foot sections are fine.

Jak 2 is a terrible game in my book. and the quick look just brought back bad memories playing it.

The way I handled the vehicle controls was to fly close to the floor, making sure to avoid flying beneath other vehicles so that when I was about to hit a civilian/Krimson guard, I could shoot up onto the second level.

Jak 2 is possibly my favourite game of all time

Haunted

Your intuition is completely correct.

The first one is a really good 3D platformer before they lost their way with the later titles "I hear GTA is pretty big right now..."

Mahonay

Banned
I honestly had the exact opposite response to the demo. The movement felt a little swimmy, and I'm really not in the market for another class-based persistent-unlock shooter. The QL did put it in a really good light, but I think I would be a lot more open to it if was a bunch of cosmetic unlocks only. I really have no desire to play multiplayer games with gameplay-relevant unlocks anymore.

Yeah it felt a little swimmy but it seemed to work with you jumping around the level. Somehow felt easier to aim while you're leaping through the air.

As someone who sticks pretty closely to playing console games this is a fairly unique offering you don't always get on these platforms. That's probably the main appeal for me.

I have Battlefield 3 right now which is class based but this definitely feels different enough from that.

Nopren

A couple of times, kind of. But I think they want to give an honest look at the player community and how difficult it is to get into a game. Also there are some Giant Bomb fans that would buy every game to try and get in on the Quick Looks, because they're nuts. It's probably better then that the GB guys don't do that.

I considered that, but when we're talking about a multiplatform game, you can't really say anything definite about their communities when you only show it on one platform.

But yes, I can vividly imagine the crazy people that would buy the game just to be in the quick look.

"I think that pictionary is really a lot like Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity. It's all about getting into the psyche of the person."

"Yeah, like, for cinnamon, you could have just drawn a picture of a stripper."

Vinny, that was amazing, hahahahaha

Haunted

The tech is there. But no one has used it. Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4
Two years later and 5:00 to 8:00 still remains unrivaled and unfulfilled.

What point in the video does that happen?
Planetary approach starts 26 minutes in and takes a couple minutes. And then once more towards the end of the video 1h03 in.

It's a rudimentary implementation (the planetary surface scale is off, the environment is scarcely modelled and ports are extremely low poly, off scale as well and generally just stick out). It's not a high budget game.

A for effort, though!

I remember seeing the planet to space transition in the leaked Battlefront 3 videos a couple years ago. It was pretty mindblowing then, it's crazy that no one has done something like that.

Here's hoping if these Battlefront 3 rumours are true whoever has it will put that in.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
If anyone wants to print out and frame some original udraw work from Vinny.
AFNdj.jpg

j75pM.jpg

inky

I'm just catching up with this latest batch of QLs. Man, Vinny just makes everything better doesn't he?

Haunted

That doesn't count, you could put Vinny in front of a test screen and it'd be gold.

Actually, that comparison isn't too far off with these "sim" games. >_>

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going into the planet has to be one of the coolest moments in game history. Quite mind-blowing. Is this revolutionary? Have other space sims ever tried this seamless transition?
Not a game, but SpaceEngine as a Sandbox was absolutely incredible to me.

Top Bottom