• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club release Aug. 19th on Xbox One and PC, PS4 later this month

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm quite tempted to pick this up on Steam but I'll probably wait a few weeks for more impressions and for the creative people to get to grips with the course editor. Having 'unlimited' courses is a huge selling point though so hopefully it stands up to scrutiny.

Bydobob

How do you play a game with a friend online?

And how do I turn off the ghost people?

Game shows which of your friends are online with an option to Join now. You then have the option to "enable turn order" in the in-game menu if you want to see their shots. With it disabled you carry on at your own pace. You'll still see their balls whizzing about the course and their name beside it.

Disabling ghost balls is actually pretty simple. Before you start a round you will see your ghost opponents in the right hand column. Simply right click (not sure what X1 equivalent is) to deselect the players. Not sure about disabling them mid-round though.

Orca

The game isn't much of a looker, but it plays pretty well. The challenge reminds me more of a game like Links than it does PGA, and it'll take time to start getting good scores. My short game needs some work, but it does in real life too so that's ok. With some updates this could be a pretty solid game, especially at $35.

TURBO1112

Game shows which of your friends are online with an option to Join now. You then have the option to "enable turn order" in the in-game menu if you want to see their shots. With it disabled you carry on at your own pace. You'll still see their balls whizzing about the course and their name beside it.

Disabling ghost balls is actually pretty simple. Before you start a round you will see your ghost opponents in the right hand column. Simply right click (not sure what X1 equivalent is) to deselect the players. Not sure about disabling them mid-round though.

Thanks. Yeah I finally got into a game with a friend and we turned on enable turn order. Problem was it made us watch the ghost people. So maybe next before I start I will deselect that option of ghost players.

NateDrake

Putting in the game is brutal. There is no power meter to know how far you'll hit the ball (unless I'm missing something). It's basically a guessing game. Other than that, it has been a solid golf game though options are limited. Is there really no way to get better equipment? Driving the ball 315yds on an official course will be dependent on the course layout and wind. Was hoping for the option to buy new clubs to increase distance.

Green Yoshi

Played it at a friend's house (Xbox One version). Do all versions have these technical issues or only the console versions?
It looks only half as great as in the trailers. Pop-ups, aliasing, ugly textures. But it's not a bad game.

Microsoft should re-release Links 2004 for Xbox One.

mf luder

Putting in the game is brutal. There is no power meter to know how far you'll hit the ball (unless I'm missing something). It's basically a guessing game. Other than that, it has been a solid golf game though options are limited. Is there really no way to get better equipment? Driving the ball 315yds on an official course will be dependent on the course layout and wind. Was hoping for the option to buy new clubs to increase distance.

Keep at the putting! Once you get used to it its the best thing about the game, I think there's a tutorial somewhere on youtube. Also, check out the hb forums for more tips http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

Here's more tutorial videos but no putting only green speed, it must of been a user made video that I saw but can't find it
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckHKqEeEP2Pwv7h2ZJxuYA

More info from a dev that might help http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=4554.msg48183#msg48183

U2NUMB

Microsoft should re-release Links 2004 for Xbox One.

With full XSN support!!!

Could not get a hole to finish last night, kept getting lost connection messages which bumped me back to the main menu

As others have said, not a looker but seemed like it will be a fun game. As a stat freak I do like all the stats it does keep but they need to fix the connection issues. I was on the X1 version.

Was really looking forward to this, the editor is extensive enough to create my local courses which is cool.

But it really lacks polish and is a little buggy, some obvious stuff too... For example when making hills in the editor, fucking terrain goes crazy making it difficult to see what you're doing, applying still works but you simply don't know what you're doing until you apply the move.

Also... It looks like a turd, is this speedtree or something? Heaps of LOD problems so you see trees flickering all the time.
Not sure why a game this fugly is only 720p 30fps on Xbox one, I understand its an id@xbox title but it is soooo rough.

That said... I dig it for what it is.

Honestly it doesnt feel like they made too many additions since early access. Needs some fine tuning and some more content. Right now its just a little too bare bones to me.

d0g_bear

Putting in the game is brutal. There is no power meter to know how far you'll hit the ball (unless I'm missing something). It's basically a guessing game.

Having played since early access release, I can tell you that putting is a skill with a learning curve. You just develop a sense for the backswing and swing force. A power meter would be so gamey it would ruin the natural controls.

Having some odd problems with this. Tried playing a round with a friend and it just constantly shows his score as being E on the first hole.

Also is anyone having weird sound issues with the XB1 version? Mainly when ending/beginning a hole. Kind of stutters

TURBO1112

You guys use right or left stick. I keep switching between the two. Left feels more natural because of Tiger, but I have more control it seems with the right stick.

T-0800

The game isn't much of a looker...

Had to laugh when I watched the promotional video that said 'real footage from the game'. No kidding. No one is going to mistake this game for real life.

I'm not sure whether to pick this up on PS4 when it releases or wait for the inevitable Hot Shots Golf.

After playing this for a few more hours this morning I'm amazed it passed certification on XB1.

It looks like crap, runs like crap, and just seems like a huge buggy mess.

It's a shame as I was looking forward to it and I do enjoy it when it's working

NateDrake

After playing this for a few more hours this morning I'm amazed it passed certification on XB1.

I activated V-sync and turn off the networking options at times. Seem to run a bit better then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had to laugh when I watched the promotional video that said 'real footage from the game'. No kidding. No one is going to mistake this game for real life.

I'm not sure whether to pick this up on PS4 when it releases or wait for the inevitable Hot Shots Golf.

I'm at least going to wait for Tokyo Game Show. Although tbh not having a 3-click option is putting me off.

I had kinect issues when it was playing, delayed kinect commands, would say Xbox.....and about 5-6 seconds later pops up. Thought, maybe it was kinect being ropey, booted titanfall and nope said xbox and it came up as normal.
As someone said v-sync on and offline mod improves performance.
Good to know early access has launched on xbox one.

Shin-Ra

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_xbox_one_videos_of_the_golf_club-15753_en.html

There's videos at Gamersyde, the XB1 version and it's pretty rough watching, do not watch if you have an aversion to low frame rates.
Interesting that the official screenshots there are 1600x900 while the released game's 720p.

OFFICIAL

ibh8HJi2utekN3.jpg
itqtzMx8GlPu8.jpg
GAMERSYDE VIDEO (22Mbit/sec)

ibcbOBwBi0ohuF.png
ibkvzQIEYDa7i6.png
You really need to watch the videos to appreciate the amount of shimmering.

saunderez

Xbone version sounds like a mess. The PC version was pretty solid last time I played it, I encountered none of the problems I'm hearing in this thread.

You won't see that with vsync enabled, but... you're also going to be playing the game at 30 fps... well on most of the courses. Some courses I swear the frame rates drop down into the teens!? I can't play one of the official courses - Ross Hollow GC - for example, because of the lagginess and framerate issues :(

Okay PS4 gamers, here's the news you've been waiting for:

"We can officially announce that The Golf Club will be available for purchase and download on the PlayStation Store in North America on next Tuesday, August 26, 2014! The price will be $34.99

For Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, we have not yet finalized the release date. However, we are 95% sure the game will be coming the following week, the week beginning September 1st, in those territories. We will know more definitively next week, and we will officially announce it here, and everywhere, the moment we know.

We are very excited to welcome our PlayStation players to The Club, and we can't wait to see what you do with the Greg Norman Course Designer and to play a few rounds with you."

I'm anxious to read your reports on it, as I've decided to buy a PS4 to play TGC on in 1080p, after the first update comes out for it that allows optional swing camera angles and user selectable point to switch from golfer perspective view to follow camera at any point in the shot. That update should be out by the end of September, from what I'm gathering.

Good news.

I'm a little shy about buying the game due to the reports coming in about the Xbox One version. For a game that looks like that, I don't understand why framerate and tearing are such issues. I'll need to hear some impressions before I take the dive.

Noobcraft

Are the performance issues the main drawback of the game or are there gameplay issues? I might pick this up on ps4 over my xb1 for 1080p if its just the visual problems.

Tried the course creator again last night, its such a mess, so difficult to raise and flatten terrain with polygon towers wherever your brush goes.

It feels like the game is half done, I'm also wondering how a game can pass certification in this state... it should've been knocked back, way too many bugs, at the end of the day we aren't getting what we paid for when the course creator and playing with friends is broken.

Still can't work out why it looks so shit, there is no reason why the Xbox one shouldn't be able to get this game running better.

I'm liking the Gameplay however... as a golfer it makes a lot more sense than the 3 press system, putting is tough but feels like real putting... it isn't meant to be easy

saunderez

Are the performance issues the main drawback of the game or are there gameplay issues? I might pick this up on ps4 over my xb1 for 1080p if its just the visual problems.

Gameplay is fine IMO (been playing the PC version since Early Access). It's basically a Tiger Woods clone. I'm not particularly good but thats not the games fault.

depward

Haven't been able to see an answer to this:

Are there leaderboards for courses, both official ones as well as user-generated content ones?

How can someone find, say, a course I created? Is there a rating / popularity system?

Iorv3th

I will buy this if it turns out to be good on PS4. I want to have a game where I can create the course I work at.

ironcreed

Banned
Hm, not fond of being forced to use the stick for swings without even a meter. I think I'll stick with (the amazing) Powerstar Golf and will wait for EA PGA Tour 15.

Bydobob

Haven't been able to see an answer to this:

Are there leaderboards for courses, both official ones as well as user-generated content ones?

How can someone find, say, a course I created? Is there a rating / popularity system?

I would have to confirm this but I haven't come across an all-time list for best scores outside the top 3, which are playable as ghosts. Leaderboards are present and correct during a tournament of course.

You can find a course by searching by name, and each course is rated out of 10. If it's a course you have created there is a separate sub-menu for this, where I believe it also shows the number of times played. Players get to rate a course at the end of a completed round and the average score is shown.

Just a cautionary word on the PC version, many people are reporting performance issues ranging from excess GPU and fan use to stuttering. Lots of angry folk on the Steam forum giving HB hell. Game is running mostly fine on my rig but it's clear elsewhere the game hasn't been fully optimised on PC yet. Menus are a bit awkward to navigate and clearly designed with the X1 controller in mind. Course editor in particular requires lots of patience.

Humm.. Impressions pushing me away.

Going to wait until I hear some ps4 impressions before giving up on this.

I'd love to grab this on PC but I'm the only person I know with a gaming rig :/

depward

I would have to confirm this but I haven't come across an all-time list for best scores outside the top 3, which are playable as ghosts. Leaderboards are present and correct during a tournament of course.

You can find a course by searching by name, and each course is rated out of 10. If it's a course you have created there is a separate sub-menu for this, where I believe it also shows the number of times played. Players get to rate a course at the end of a completed round and the average score is shown.

Just a cautionary word on the PC version, many people are reporting performance issues ranging from excess GPU and fan use to stuttering. Lots of angry folk on the Steam forum giving HB hell. Game is running mostly fine on my rig but it's clear elsewhere the game hasn't been fully optimised on PC yet. Menus are a bit awkward to navigate and clearly designed with the X1 controller in mind. Course editor in particular requires lots of patience.
Appreciate the response. Hmm. I like the core idea of this but $35 digitally is hard to swallow. Probably will wait on some PS4 impressions...

Top Bottom