• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Place S2 |OT| Well, Fork Me - Thursdays 8:30/7:30c

aparisi2274

Megan Amram, one of the writers on last night's episode tweeted out all the restaurant names that she turned in with her first draft of the script

Some of these are AMAZING...

DK3ozOQVYActvgE.jpg

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/913642289834090497

sammex

Wow. It's like they took all the twists/ideas I thought that they'd base season 2 on and used them all in 5 minutes. Killer episode. I love this show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm betting 500 space dollars that Eleanor's mom shows up this season. That mention in this episode really stuck out to me. It implies that her mom sucked and would end up in the Bad Place or faux Bad Place. And it would be the perfect way to torture Eleanor. Lol

SeanC

Finally got into this show on Netflix. The pilot didn't do much for me but I give any show at least 3 - 4 eps to grab me (pilots aren't usually great anyways)

2nd Episode I was hooked. Love that it's only 13 episodes, feels right for something like this, and damn Danson is such a good comedic actor. At the very least I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for more awards.

Going to get started on Season 2 soon but this is one of the more creative and original network comedies I've seen in a while. At least since Crazy Ex Girlfriend a few years back.

LakeEarth

Finally got into this show on Netflix. The pilot didn't do much for me but I give any show at least 3 - 4 eps to grab me (pilots aren't usually great anyways)

2nd Episode I was hooked. Love that it's only 13 episodes, feels right for something like this, and damn Danson is such a good comedic actor. At the very least I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for more awards.

Going to get started on Season 2 soon but this is one of the more creative and original network comedies I've seen in a while. At least since Crazy Ex Girlfriend a few years back.

Welcome. I'd advise to stay out of these threads while you catch up, as there are some fun moments and jokes that people bring up that you don't want to get spoiled on. But once you're caught up, come on back.

W-00

I'm betting 500 space dollars that Eleanor's mom shows up this season. That mention in this episode really stuck out to me. It implies that her mom sucked and would end up in the Bad Place or faux Bad Place. And it would be the perfect way to torture Eleanor. Lol

Well, she showed up last season (in a flashback, along with Eleanor's father - and yes, they were both horrible people), so it's possible.

Gotchaye

I happened to catch most of the penultimate episode of season 1 of this on a plane trip about a month ago, and it was pretty interesting. Then I was on a transatlantic flight a week later and saw they had all of the first season as in-flight entertainment, and I ended up watching it all. I am really surprised that something this good is a primetime network comedy. And season 2 has been incredible so far.

As someone with a philosophy background, I find Chidi to be a pretty interesting/annoying character. You know how there's a tv-scientist type that shows up all the time, who doesn't act anything like a real scientist, has no social skills at all, and is mostly there to offer technobabble and out-of-nowhere solutions? The philosopher version of that is pretty novel.

Something I like a lot about the first season is that it's basically one long argument for Aristotelian ethics, but I can't actually tell how conscious the show is of this. Like, obviously all of the stuff that Chidi tries to teach Eleanor about ethics is 100% useless. She doesn't become a better person because she's learned about deontology. She becomes a better person because she surrounds herself with good people and she makes a conscious effort to emulate and understand them, and this becomes a habit. This seems to me to be totally clear. But the show is weirdly celebratory about Eleanor learning from Chidi despite this, with it being presented as sort of significant that she can parrot philosophical jargon towards the end of the season. On the other hand, Chidi is in The Bad Place in part because he never cared about applied ethics.

Speaking of The Bad Place, easily the most unbelievable part of Chidi being a philosopher is that he doesn't just immediately have a ton of questions about the morality of a system which damns almost everyone to eternal torment, regardless of what he believes about where he himself has ended up.

caliph95

Something I like a lot about the first season is that it's basically one long argument for Aristotelian ethics, but I can't actually tell how conscious the show is of this. Like, obviously all of the stuff that Chidi tries to teach Eleanor about ethics is 100% useless. She doesn't become a better person because she's learned about deontology. She becomes a better person because she surrounds herself with good people and she makes a conscious effort to emulate and understand them, and this becomes a habit. This seems to me to be totally clear. But the show is weirdly celebratory about Eleanor learning from Chidi despite this, with it being presented as sort of significant that she can parrot philosophical jargon towards the end of the season. On the other hand, Chidi is in The Bad Place in part because he never cared about applied ethics.

Seems like he cares way too much about this that's why he is in the bad place

Remember he's problem is that because he wants to be good he thinks too much to the point of being indecisive.

Which made everybody miserable

Gotchaye

Seems like he cares way too much about this that's why he is in the bad place

Remember he's problem is that because he wants to be good he thinks too much to the point of being indecisive.

Which made everybody miserable
Right, I mean he spent all of this time worrying about ethical theory instead of actually doing good in the world. Like, obviously he'd have been a better person if he just thought a lot less and did a lot more -- it's the application of ethical principles that counts, not the thinking about them. He wrote a massive and possibly very innovative book on ethics but in the end who cares?

carlsojo

I wonder if the "mistake" was that Eleanor was actually supposed to be in the good place. They talk briefly about how she took care of her niece and even though Eleanor kind of brushed it off I wondered if it was actually a way bigger deal.

SomTervo

I wonder if the "mistake" was that Eleanor was actually supposed to be in the good place. They talk briefly about how she took care of her niece and even though Eleanor kind of brushed it off I wondered if it was actually a way bigger deal.

I honestly can't picture any other way they could finish this story

Speaking of The Bad Place, easily the most unbelievable part of Chidi being a philosopher is that he doesn't just immediately have a ton of questions about the morality of a system which damns almost everyone to eternal torment, regardless of what he believes about where he himself has ended up.
He did agree with Eleanor that there should be a middle place.

SomTervo

All the reset made me feel nothing happened the entire episode besides at the end

They could have dragged the whole season out over several "attempts". Instead they got them all out the way, developed Michael and not-Eleanor a little bit, and gave us a little plot movement at the end.

Great episode.

Ugh, SUCH a good episode. Even setting aside the wonderful pacing it's provided, the fuckups montage was just unbelievably funny. Cannot WAIT to see where things go from here.

Barren Mind

I am so glad I stumbled across this show on Netflix. Season 1 was a joy and I didn't see the twist coming. Season 2 is off to an excellent start. I'm curious if every "demon" really looks like that lava guy.

caliph95

I am so glad I stumbled across this show on Netflix. Season 1 was a joy and I didn't see the twist coming. Season 2 is off to an excellent start. I'm curious if every "demon" really looks like that lava guy.
Micheal and Shaun are never seen not looking human so could be how they look like and there wouldn't have been much of a reason the bad place adam scott from season one to though could for Michael sake but I think Micheal implied it's a suit once

SomTervo

Micheal and Shaun are never seen not looking human so could be how they look like and there wouldn't have been much of a reason the bad place adam scott from season one to though could for Michael sake but I think Micheal implied it's a suit once

Yeah he did, said it was itchy or some sense was off putting to him or something

G0523

I swear, me and my boyfriend just watched the latest episode, and now we can't stop gasping and saying "THIS is the bad place!" every time something inconvenient happens to us IRL. Lol.

I wish more people watched this show.

Lava dude said that the human suit was itchy for "us," which implies the other two demons didn't fall into the same group. Could be they really look human, could be they look like other sorts of monsters and just have less trouble with the suit for some reason.

Goodstyle

I happened to catch most of the penultimate episode of season 1 of this on a plane trip about a month ago, and it was pretty interesting. Then I was on a transatlantic flight a week later and saw they had all of the first season as in-flight entertainment, and I ended up watching it all. I am really surprised that something this good is a primetime network comedy. And season 2 has been incredible so far.

As someone with a philosophy background, I find Chidi to be a pretty interesting/annoying character. You know how there's a tv-scientist type that shows up all the time, who doesn't act anything like a real scientist, has no social skills at all, and is mostly there to offer technobabble and out-of-nowhere solutions? The philosopher version of that is pretty novel.

Interesting reading the perspective of someone who's actually into philosophy.

As for Chidi, I find him to be an interesting character too, but for a different reason. In any other universe, he'd be viewed as a good person because "he means well", but the way the show depicts his rigidity and indecisiveness is as being selfish. Sometimes being yourself isn't enough, because who Chidi was hurt everyone in his life. The fact that his being super annoying and refusing to change that about himself literally led to his eternal damnation is fascinating.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I love Mindy. The coke and masturbation jokes and "oh no not my only copy".

Though it seemed to me like they had been there more than 15 times...

Jason figuring it out that one time was great. Also “I’m too young to die and too old to eat off the kids menu. What a stupid age I am!”

I'm pretty excited to see Michael team up with Eleanor and Co.

Megan Amram, one of the writers on last night's episode tweeted out all the restaurant names that she turned in with her first draft of the script

Some of these are AMAZING...

DK3ozOQVYActvgE.jpg

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/913642289834090497

I Torte I Saw a Puddy-Tat.

These are fantastic.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This show is absolutely fantastic. I'm trying to get everyone I know to watch it. Love how they did that attempt montage. Was cracking up when Jason figured it out and that Tahani soulmate attempt lol. I'm sure Eleanor was excited though I wonder how Tahani reacted.

Btw I'm glad they doubled down on diversity since it looks like Vicky/Real Eleanor is a main character or at least recurring.

LordRaptor

I wonder if the "mistake" was that Eleanor was actually supposed to be in the good place.

Unless theres some real fucked up shit in Tahani and Chidis backstories thats not been shown yet, the backstory of eleanor that we have seen suggests shes in whatever place befits Jason / Tahani / Chidi

pigeon

Banned
Unless theres some real fucked up shit in Tahani and Chidis backstories thats not been shown yet, the backstory of eleanor that we have seen suggests shes in whatever place befits Jason / Tahani / Chidi

And Mindy. Which I think is notable. None of the actual humans in the show are particularly good or bad. Mindy's the only one who actually found a way to get out of the control of the Bad Place.

I don't think it's said enough: Manny Jacinto (Jason) has perfect line delivery. He absolutely nails moronic sincerity.

Very nearly stolen the crown for most lovable idiot from Todd in Bojack.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that we don't actually know how the system works; the only real Good Place people we've seen are Janet and the woman in Mindy's video in S1, so all the details have come from pretty fundamentally unreliable sources. It could be that most people go to the Good Place or that the metrics are different or weird somehow.

pigeon

Banned
I think it's worth bearing in mind that we don't actually know how the system works; the only real Good Place people we've seen are Janet and the woman in Mindy's video in S1, so all the details have come from pretty fundamentally unreliable sources. It could be that most people go to the Good Place or that the metrics are different or weird somehow.

Yeah. I think Mindy is really interesting because she's basically the only source we have that isn't either about the Bad Place, or deliberately falsified by the Bad Place. But she does exist and apparently did somehow get somebody to bail her out and stick her in a Medium Place, so some kind of overarching structure is out there. We just don't know how much or what it looks like.

Gotchaye

Yes, although the 4 main characters believe that this is how the system works, even if now they have reason to doubt what they've been told (well, the bits of it they remember). And we do know, barring another big twist, that people like the four main characters go to The Bad Place despite clearly not deserving eternal torture.

Chidi and Tahani seem like they would rule out the "most people go to the Good Place" theory. They're not perfect but we haven't seen anything from either that would place them in the bottom 20% or whatever.

Top Bottom