• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So... what exactly is going on with these Grand Tour heads being flown everywhere? Video within.

632000316-1.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Funny episode.

Did they knowingly make fun of Celebrity Brain Crash this time? Clarkson had his eyes closed during the intro and said something along the lines of 'so bad...is it over yet?'

jett

D-Member
Honestly I've never been as bored watching these three as I have been during the last two episodes. Couldn't even finish the last one.

Arials

What they really need to stop with is testing the cars in england. Another bloody wet lap.

It looks to me like this current run of wet laps were all filmed on the same day.

No what needs to stop is the constant complaining. We get it. You people don't like it.

Who is "you people"? Are you saying you actually enjoy the The American shtick?

The overscriptedness at the end of this latest episode was disappointing, again. They make it impossible to suspend disbelief.

AlphaSnake

Who else thought James was going to drive to an embassy? It was so obviously clear that was the angle...

Why was the ending so disappointingly stupid? Did they intentionally sabotage the episode that way?

I'm not renewing my Prime subscription as soon as this season ends. Really didn't like it, way too few genuine entertaining bits, lots and lots of cringe worth moments and the overal impression is that I wouldn't miss much by watching a compilation of the few best moments on YouTube couple months later.

And I thought that by going to the internet they'd be free to do things that the BBC wouldn't let them.

M.Bluth

I don't understand how, with supposedly so much money from Amazon, they manage to consistently make films that feel like they've been subject to abrupt budget cuts and thus literally go nowhere...

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the most recent episode, how did they manage to mess up a used car challenge! Started off well but felt rushed, too scripted and thrown together towards the end.
Was it me or did they not even explain why they all picked the Maserati Biturbo?

LoveCake

Who else thought James was going to drive to an embassy? It was so obviously clear that was the angle...

Why was the ending so disappointingly stupid? Did they intentionally sabotage the episode that way?

Talking to a friend at work and we said basically this.

All of the shows have been ok really, they are just not as tight as when on the BBC, I do wonder if this whole series has been rushed, some of these things must take months maybe even a year or so of planning, so I think (hope) that there were some ideas that just couldn't have been sorted out in time for this first series.

The celeb thing just needs to be dropped and either have an interview with a superstar celeb or what would be even better have five minutes with a local car club or talk about the local car scene.

I don't understand 'conversation street' either have actual car news or use that time for the local car club/scene, I know there has to be a live audience and yes it is now going around the world giving more people the chance to see Jezza, Hammond and May, but it looks pretty disappointing to actually go and see the show.

Basically the show needs to be tighter and all the wasted time cut out, yes there are some things and items that they cannot do because of the BBC restrictions, I loved Top Gear with Jezza, Hammond and May but they really need to step it up a level now.

I want more like this. Hammond Pagani Zonda Car Review and this Jezza Mercedes SLR Oslo Challenge - M83 and May Bentley Continental GT Speed WRC

What Top Gear used to be like is like in that Zonda clip "if you're ten, this is exactly as good as you think it is" this next clip is not by Top Gear it's by Bugatti and it is one of my favorite YT videos and what it does is makes me want to do is be the guy in that car, live that life, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse

I know not everyone likes the same thing, buy I want to see million pound hyper cars being thrown sideways at a thousand miles an hour with Jezza's/Hammond's,May's hair on fire filmed in 4k HDR with an M83 soundtrack in DD5.1.

AlphaSnake

Talking to a friend at work and we said basically this.

All of the shows have been ok really, they are just not as tight as when on the BBC, I do wonder if this whole series has been rushed, some of these things must take months maybe even a year or so of planning, so I think (hope) that there were some ideas that just couldn't have been sorted out in time for this first series.

The celeb thing just needs to be dropped and either have an interview with a superstar celeb or what would be even better have five minutes with a local car club or talk about the local car scene.

I don't understand 'conversation street' either have actual car news or use that time for the local car club/scene, I know there has to be a live audience and yes it is now going around the world giving more people the chance to see Jezza, Hammond and May, but it looks pretty disappointing to actually go and see the show.

Basically the show needs to be tighter and all the wasted time cut out, yes there are some things and items that they cannot do because of the BBC restrictions, I loved Top Gear with Jezza, Hammond and May but they really need to step it up a level now.

I want more like this. Hammond Pagani Zonda Car Review and this Jezza Mercedes SLR Oslo Challenge - M83 and May Bentley Continental GT Speed WRC

What Top Gear used to be like is like in that Zonda clip "if you're ten, this is exactly as good as you think it is" this next clip is not by Top Gear it's by Bugatti and it is one of my favorite YT videos and what it does is makes me want to do is be the guy in that car, live that life, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse

I know not everyone likes the same thing, buy I want to see million pound hyper cars being thrown sideways at a thousand miles an hour with Jezza's/Hammond's,May's hair on fire filmed in 4k HDR with an M83 soundtrack in DD5.1.

What they should do with conversation street is highlight some of the cars guests drive in with and walk outside to the car lot and talk about them.

Aklamarth

Was watching the last episode and thinking some good chunks should have been cut and would have made it better overall. There just wasn't 1h material in there...

Pachael

Always liked their banter between the clips and with the audience, feel that that's the time the lads really make a connection to wherever they are hosting and makes it feel more of a 'tour' as opposed to a 'collection of clips'.

If anything putting in more local car culture / news / challenges specific to that location would help the series look like the grand tour it wants to be.

For a first season so far, it's been a bit rough, especially with CBC's nothing segment. The 'stupid idea' segment is a little better (like the 'parking sensor' or the 'voice activation') but feels shoved in.

Still, could be worse.

SliChillax

Honestly I've never been as bored watching these three as I have been during the last two episodes. Couldn't even finish the last one.

I feel the same and all my friends feel the same. We grew up with Top Gear and know almost every single episode of every season but this is just such a drag to watch most of the time. Maybe they're getting old and lazy but it doesn't have the Top Gear magic they used to have.

Coxy100

Banned
I feel the same and all my friends feel the same. We grew up with Top Gear and know almost every single episode of every season but this is just such a drag to watch most of the time. Maybe they're getting old and lazy but it doesn't have the Top Gear magic they used to have.

yep. for me its not natural enough now (most of the time). It's too scripted and formulaic.

The celebrity brain crash is more a big middle finger towards the BBC lawyers than a real segment. It may be dumb, but it's not as bad as the american. That character needs to go.

I feel like i've had a great time watching the show, it's had problems but the last 3 months have been great and I can't wait for more.

Good thing because my prime runs out on monday, heh.

Peter303

Is the title sequence at the start of the show low-res for everybody else. I've never seen them at HD resolution, even if I pause the stream, rewind and restart they're always blurry.

Is the title sequence at the start of the show low-res for everybody else. I've never seen them at HD resolution, even if I pause the stream, rewind and restart they're always blurry.

It has to do with how Amazon determines what bitrate to play. It doesn't seem to matter how fast your internet is, it always seems to take a good 30 seconds before it'll kick up the bitrate of the stream.

I just always assumed it was taking the stream a bit to buffer to HD resolution.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The SUV segment was the best thing all season IMO. Hit all of the right points, comedy was on point, legitimate discussion about the cars, most structured in terms of challenges, etc.

I don't even understand buying Lexus cars, y'all. They must have the most consistently inelegant and janky looking designs of any automaker.

was that episode #12 the last episode?
Nope, one more in Dubai.

AlphaSnake

SUV segment was ace.

Jeremy trying to prove his point over and over again was hilarious.

The F-Pace though is the best car considering it's price. But the perfect middle ground for the person who can afford all three but doesn't want to? The Range, but without the Autobiography package.

LoveCake

Yes I have the exact same thing happen, I mentioned it here in one of the Top Gear/Grand Tour threads, it does it on all the devices I use, PS4, WiiU and BluRay players.

TTOOLL

I haven't watched the 12th episode yet, but I saw the 11tb today and found it quite boring. I want them talking about cars and having fun. Unfortunately for the most part of the season they are just pretending to have fun and talking almost nothing about the cars.

Nesotenso

This last episode was one of the good ones from the season. I don't have patience for scripted stuff and they kept it to a minimum.

Daffy Duck

The 12th episode was boring as hell.

First time I was actively waiting for the end to come.

Hope the last one is a good one.

doby

I think it's pretty apparent that these three gained far, far more from being on the BBC than they lost.

It's simple, moving to Amazon has led to a lazy sub-standard production of what they were producing under the BBC.

There's a certain level of responsibility when creating content for the BBC and that just doesn't translate to Amazon. Free reins + too much money = mess. There are glimmers of hope here and there, it's just not tight enough.

antibolo

Banned
It's simple, moving to Amazon has led to a lazy sub-standard production of what they were producing under the BBC.

There's a certain level of responsibility when creating content for the BBC and that just doesn't translate to Amazon. Free reins + too much money = mess. There are glimmers of hope here and there, it's just not tight enough.

Do you have any specific examples?

Not disagreeing with you, just want to know more of what you have in mind.

doby

Do you have any specific examples?

Not disagreeing with you, just want to know more of what you have in mind.

Well, what really gets me is the blatant use of scripting, it was heavily used throughout Top Gear but now its just so obvious. I think it's just down to lazy production, most notably a lazy script with wooden performances. I know they're not actors but it literally sounds like they're reading off a script whist having what are presented as 'spontaneous' discussions.

Perhaps at the BBC they were made to adlib around the script to make it seem more genuine and now at Amazon with their 6 figure salaries and lavish production they just can't be bothered. (probably not the case at all)

It sort of goes back to my earlier comment about the BBC and their content. The BBC have governing bodies making sure their output is at the highest quality possible to justify expenditure of the license fee.
Amazon don't have to do that, there's no one to answer to as such, prime is a choice not a tax.
They've essentially bought Top Gear (minus the brand), thrown millions at it and want the same high quality, compelling content for their own platform and yet they lack the BBC ethos, experience and quality control which obviously played it's part in making the old Top Gear what it was.

That launch control segment in Episode 11 screamed filler so bad it ruined the flow of the show that I'd come accustomed to so far. Completely pointless and made in case one of the episodes came up short, it's something that shouldn't happen with a tight production.

The confines of the BBC had them producing far more focused and entertaining material than the ones that Amazon have set out for them.

The best Top Gear episodes and films were tight and controlled, with not an inch of fat on them. Every single thing they've done for the Grand Tour has been self-indulgent and overlong; you could see a bit of this tendency towards the end of the BBC run, but it's on full display here, and it's costing the show big-time.

TTOOLL

Yeah, just saw it, the SUV segment was very good indeed. The Lexus was meh, as was the Fiat in the 11th episode.

Jarrod38

If I had chance to buy on of those three SUVs think I would go with the Range Rover so I can be like Dennis from IASIP.

Tbh, making them ad-lib more in Conversation street would go a ways. Like, have them each present topics, so they can prepare graphics and stuff, but the other two should be kept in the dark.

I'd also add more weird challenges to the roadtrips.

Daffy Duck

Tbh, making them ad-lib more in Conversation street would go a ways. Like, have them each present topics, so they can prepare graphics and stuff, but the other two should be kept in the dark.

I'd also add more weird challenges to the roadtrips.

They probably can't add challenges to the road trips, there's a pretty long list of stuff they can't do.

HariKari

Final episode felt like old TG, or at least approaching it. Can't get away from how shitty the American is, or the celebrity deaths, sadly.

Given the amount of money on the line, I think they wanted to deliver something that was slick and on-time, but you lose a lot of the charm when things become very heavily scripted. They just need to be themselves and have the room to improv a bit.

Now that they have a season under their belt and are starting to round into form, hopefully the next season will be consistently good.

Generate

Banned
The show has been hit or miss, but largely entertaining throughout. I would not expect a first season of a brand new show to be as polished as a decades running big budget flagship was. Let Grand Tour round into form over a few seasons.

Donos

SUV ep was good. That F-Pace seems nice for the price. Lol at the little crash of Hammond in the corner. They didn't show it very well, probably on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom