• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
So before seeing the finale I think its time for a short review of the Season.

I quite liked it. It was far from perfect but it wasnt bad either. I wouls say a solid first season with more highlights than lowlights...
Positive: cinematics (as always), conversation street, the Masarati bit, the "build your own Jeep (i mean Hammonds car made out of trees was awesome!)

Negative: The American...oh boy I hate this dude...they should really get a silent driver! Sometimes the pacing...some segments dragged a bit, but overall there wasnt a straight BAD episode...

spuckthew

The final episode was pretty good I thought. I'd give it a solid 7/10, along with the season as a whole.

Although episode 2 and the Namibia special were the weakest points, the only thing I outright dislike about the show is The American. They definitely need to replace that guy or just not have him talk. Even someone speaking in a foreign language with fake subtitles added would have been infinitely funnier.

7/10 is a good rating for the series, I agree.

The american to me is ok when he is not forcefully pulling out complaints, one or two are fine and give him character but then he goes fishing in a puddle and doesn't get anything good.

Sapiens

Honestly, they just need better writing on the jokes. Like, a punch up script artist or something.

The production value is obviously incredible, but so so many of the jokes fall completely flat.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I am ready for more. Good season all around. I'm going through episodes of old Top Gear to keep me entertained in the meantime.

I enjoyed the bulk of the season. Its most of what I want from Top Gear.

The american is definitely the weak point. He adds nothing.
The celebrity thing is also unecessary but this week's gag with James May cleaning up was worth 3 months of this schtick.

They need to keep the conversation street intros next season

Noobcraft

I enjoyed it. It seems like it took a while for them to get into stride but once they did the show was much more enjoyable. I'd give the first half of the season like 6.5/10 and the last half like 8.5/10.

lem0n

Pretty damn good series, especially for Season 1. Season 1 of anything like this, to me, always takes a little to get the ball rolling and find a groove.

The only things I didn't like were the American, Celebrity Brain Crash, and the waffling at the beginning of every episode where they talk about the locale. Less filler, more cars. They could use a cool wall again, but that's probably a Top Gear only thing.

Overall, loved it. My girl and I watched it every week and we're sad we have to wait until later this year for more. If they weed out the small issues and listen to fans, this has so much potential... It'll be better than Top Gear, and that's big coming from me.

I really liked the local segments, especially when they were about the car culture.

I would keep the American, but change up his shtick. Less poorly written jokes, more actual commentary.

Celebrity Brain Crash can stay, but it's outrageously formulaic right now. That's gotta change.

terrible

Banned
The American and celebrity stuff didn't bother me really. They were short enough segments that I could easily ignore them if I wanted to. The car "reviews" were as entertaining as usual but the meat of the series was pretty sub par overall otherwise I felt. Too obviously scripted, lots of jokes that fell completely flat, etc. I'd probably give season one a 4/10.

Agreed that the obviously scripted nature of a lot of the segments is a big part of the problem. They either need to work more improv/adlibbing into the scripts, or at least get the guys to some acting classes. Preferably both.

Anarion07

Yep. The obvious scriptedness hurts sometimes. They should be aware of that and make fun of it, breaking the fourth wall or whatever.

But overall really entertaining to watch. It's a glory to behold on an OLED in HDR.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Liked the finale through and through.

Will have to collect my thoughts on the first season, but I mostly agree, they need to cut down on the scriptedness a tiny bit, vary up the segments and do something about The American.

LightInfa

The road test between the GTI and the i3 was this series at its best- very organic, to what extent it's scripted it's funny and not woodenly obvious. I think this season they've always been at their best when they're out in the wild (other than the horrendously scripted end to the Maserati road trip). Anyway- can't wait for the next season!

The season definitely had it's rough moments, like episode 2 which was just awful, but they managed to improve with each episode. Despite the awkwardness, I'd say they'll fix the most obvious problems for the next season.

Here's to hoping!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Borrowing from my previous post, this is basically how I sum up this season:

Pros:
+ Cinematography: Absolutely top notch, especially in the feature segments.
+ Tent format and focus on local car culture: Great, adds dynamism to the show, and is by far and away the greatest thing the show does. I would like even more examinations of local car cultures, be it winching or that weird drifting thing in South Africa. Makes for great locale-specific intros to each episode as well.
+ Conversation Street: Good, but I would like it if they spent a lot more time focusing on actual car news than mucking about. I always used to excitedly anticipate what the three would think of all of the off-season happenings in the automotive world once the show came back on.
+ Celebrity Braincrash: It's a fun gag, innocuous, doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes at absolute maximum, and it's not like they have episode time limits to work with. Effectively, it's just a set up for random segments, and that's fine.

Cons:
- The American: Either needs different schtick or at least better writing. Super unlikely that he's not going anywhere because he's the foundation for their lap board and throwing him under the bus would just look bad on everyone.
- Not enough on-track reviews: This is a source of a lot of the candidness in Top Gear, and it contributes to the feeling of over-scriptedness. The track feels underutilized despite being a dedicated thing.
- Not enough challenges in their feature segments: They got better as the season went on, but a lot of these challenges were just drive from point A to point B and it makes the scripted hijinks stand out a bit more than they do otherwise because the challenges within these segments were few and far between.
- Not enough historical perspective in segments or as dedicated segments: I don't know if there just wasn't enough, but more would be nice, at least as a part of reviews.
- In-studio gags were very hit-or-miss: Especially James' "Does that mean he's not coming on then?", which overstayed it's welcome quite a bit. Rule of three, people.
- Scriptedness: Earlier in this thread I was pretty "what are you on about" RE: scriptedness criticisms, but later in the season it became a real issue because it became a pattern where feature segments would be anti-climactic or not even reach a proper conclusion because of a scripted gag, which wasn't the case as often with Top Gear. In general, they just need to be more informal and less prepared across the board, from developing their segments to the banter to the in-studio stuff.

---

It seems like there's more negative than positive there, but that's not my overall evaluation, it's just easier to point out places to improve. I think the series has been pretty good, especially with them having to do things differently because of legal pressure from the BBC, which I assume is why a lot of the show has a bit more story to it than just being more talk show-esque.

The Holy Trinity, Aston Martin Vulcan review, environmentally friendly modified Land Rovers, Christmas Gift ideas, Le Mans history segment, the Namibia special, the Romantic Road Trip, there's been a ton of very high points across the 13 episodes and almost all of the other segments were decent-to-good.

They say they're open to feedback and making big changes season-to-season, but I wonder how exactly they'll receive and implement that feedback. Hope it's not just us on GAF that hate The American.

Pachael

The last episode was good-ish, and I'd give the season a 7/10, or 'enough to extend my Amazon Video fee for another year'.

I like it more when the team engages with the audience (the airplane heat rant with the Etihad pilot was great) and have challenges in the place that they are touring at (Dubai drag race, James May in South Africa with the doughnut freestyling)

Some of the scripting in CBC, American and some bits of the segments (coral reef, James flying onto the boat) were terribad and should be tossed out.

overall, a great season. Amazing cinematography is enough reason to watch it. Some of the jokes did fall flat but overall it's not too bad. The only awful segments that comes to mind are the American and that military training/rescue hostage bit which was too long and had nothing to do with cars. The American needs to go. The character is just annoying and completely unfunny.

ZW6lTl0.png

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I know it's a dead horse but I really hope they dial back on the scripted scenes all together. It's so much more fun seeing them riffing off each other in real time.

Zel3

I can't help but be dissapointed by all the scripted non sense in the Grand Tour. Honestly it was a problem in the last seasons of Top Gear too, the show is at its best when they do specials or segments like the one about the Ford Mk 40.

I think I enjoyed every episode beyond the second. The military bit /was/ their form of breaking the fourth wall. Shame they didn't have anything fun to do with it.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed the (mostly low key) antics and banter.

Looking forward to season two as soon. As they can put it together

Tainted

Sometimes the pacing...some segments dragged a bit, but overall there wasnt a straight BAD episode...

I disagree, the 2nd episode set in Johannesburg with the SAS training was straight up terrible. I'm glad the subsequent episodes were a huge improvement though.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm a bit "meh" overall on the season. The trip stuff was all right but otherwise? Meh...

They need to get rid of the stupid celebrity stuff and all The American thing. It was maybe a bit funny the first time but every single week? Come on.

Lots of pacing issues too.

Honestly, after seeing the teaser for the next season of Top Gear this morning I'm surprised to be more hyped about that than for the next season of Grand Tour.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
They have such amazing cars during the intros of every episode that it upsets me we didn't see any film on them.

Mascot

Watched the very first episode of TGT yesterday.

Christ alive, that smug on-stage intro segment when they first arrived at Burning Van was almost too embarrassing to watch, and the 'studio' segments weren't too far behind. The scripting was abysmal. Who's idea was the dead celebrities? It was pretty painful stuff. Thank God the actual car sections could redeem things.

I don't know, maybe it's because Top Gear is now hitting its stride after that disastrous first reboot season or whether I no longer have much time for Clarkson's pot-bellied oafishness, but I found the whole thing oddly dated.

I'll burn through the rest of the series and see if it improves (it's good workout fodder) but the first episode was very hit and miss for me.

Loxley

Christ alive, that smug on-stage intro segment when they first arrived at Burning Van was almost too embarrassing to watch, and the 'studio' segments weren't too far behind. The scripting was abysmal. Who's idea was the dead celebrities? It was pretty painful stuff. Thank God the actual car sections could redeem things.

I don't know, maybe it's because Top Gear is now hitting its stride after that disastrous first reboot season or whether I no longer have much time for Clarkson's pot-bellied oafishness, but I found the whole thing oddly dated.

I'll burn through the rest of the series and see if it improves (it's good workout fodder) but the first episode was very hit and miss for me.

Get used to the dead celebrity thing, it's in every episode. The show picks up towards the middle but doesn't quite stick the landing. Hopefully the second season will be more focused.

It really picked up after episode 2 for me.

Keep with it!

Mascot

Get used to the dead celebrity thing, it's in every episode. The show picks up towards the middle but doesn't quite stick the landing. Hopefully the second season will be more focused.

My God. There's only one thing worse than an unfunny joke, and that's an unfunny joke on repeat.

It really picked up after episode 2 for me.

Keep with it!

Oh, I will. I just might be watching parts of it through a facepalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom