• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

I have endless respect for Hammond for still going out there after the crashes he's had. I wonder if they're going to include this in the show.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Happy he's fine, but Hammond must be an awful driver.

If I were the car manufacturer, I'd put in a stipulation that Hammond isn't allowed to drive my car for a segment.

LoveCake

I'm sure, they showed his jet car crash years ago.

They did, the chances are they will show this as well.

There are some videos showing it on YouTube.

Happy he's fine, but Hammond must be an awful driver.

If I were the car manufacturer, I'd put in a stipulation that Hammond isn't allowed to drive my car for a segment.

That Rimac Concept One can be twitchy from what I have seen as it's all electric the instant acceleration can catch people out.

Just glad he is ok, this is now the second time though.... I hope there is not a third time :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That Rimac Concept One can be twitchy from what I have seen as it's all electric the instant acceleration can catch people out.

Just glad he is ok, this is now the second time though.... I hope there is not a third time :/

I've driven a couple of electric cars and the acceleration can definitely catch you by surprise. There's no gear shifts so it just goes and you've got to keep a close eye on the speed-o or you'll find yourself going faster than you thought you were going.

LoveCake

I've driven a couple of electric cars and the acceleration can definitely catch you by surprise. There's no gear shifts so it just goes and you've got to keep a close eye on the speed-o or you'll find yourself going faster than you thought you were going.

I have not driven a electric car but I have been a passenger in one and it feels strange and the acceleration is near enough instant, the Rimac Concept One is a hypercar so speed is king and it's built to have maximum acceleration, it looks from the video that Hammond just lost the rear of the car, maybe accelerating out of the corner and the torque just rotated the car around, the issue was there was a drop-off on the outside of the corner and the car went over the edge.

What I am trying to work out is what caused the car to catch fire, being all electric and carbon fibre.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Looks like the tires had no grip.

No. He was going to fast, stabbed the breaks, lost the rear, understeered, and then snap oversteered.

Tires were the least of the problem here. It's all driver error.

Hammond has been involved in a number of accidents. In an episode of GT they said it was a pretty substantial number.

No. He was going to fast, stabbed the breaks, lost the rear, understeered, and then snap oversteered.

Tires were the least of the problem here. It's all driver error.

Hammond has been involved in a number of accidents. In an episode of GT they said it was a pretty substantial number.

I think he was just going way too fast for that corner especially considering it wasn't a race track with run off areas and so on (and considering he isn't a race driver). They must think they are immortal. He could have been killed and then the "what went wrong" thing would be much worse for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom