• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Best spray options for gunpla? I was thinking of going with Tamiya sprays, the stuff usually goes on real smooth and thin, comes in lot of great colors. I know airbrushes are considered better to use but It's just kind of a pain to use so trying to avoid.

Also what do folks do to paint their parts and not forget where what goes? On larger complex kits it can get easy to forget which part is which. I don't want to paint the kits while on the sprues

NEO0MJ

Best spray options for gunpla? I was thinking of going with Tamiya sprays, the stuff usually goes on real smooth and thin, comes in lot of great colors. I know airbrushes are considered better to use but It's just kind of a pain to use so trying to avoid.

Also what do folks do to paint their parts and not forget where what goes? On larger complex kits it can get easy to forget which part is which. I don't want to paint the kits while on the sprues

Tamiya are favored, but make sure the can is not old or the paint might spread terribly.

As for for figuring out what goes where, I've developed the habit of putting parts that form a limb/torso/weapons/etc into a zip-lock bag so it's easier to know what goes where.

Voror

Finished doing the general stickers for Freedom 2.0. Tried getting him suspended on the base it came with but I'm a tad worried as the piece that goes into the backpack that I then hook into the arm of the base doesn't seem to click or attach onto the backpack anywhere.

It stays suspended but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Think I'll do the stickers on my X since I never did them previously.

Okay I lied, I finished today.

Probably one of my favorite MGs, it was a joy to build (though as I said, detailing the DRAGOONs can get tedious). Of course I also adore the Providence so I may be a bit biased.

And quite honestly, the action base was worth getting the Premium Edition for, especially being the new kind (that apparently was also included with the MG Fenice Rinascita). For those that don't know, these bases have three locking mechanisms: one on the extendable arm, one on the support arm, and one on the part at the top that pivots. Way better than the old Action Base 1.
Shun tell them to make this the norm lol

Gonna leave it in a generic pose until I get that expansion set.

l2PUn9q.jpg

Dat backpack tho
7uviVMk.jpg

Next to the old HG Providence
miuf3JQ.jpg

Generic pose woot
M8nA6RF.jpg

Shun

I thought you working for Bandai was a running joke...

Is it really true, or have I just been masterfully trolled?

Yes, I am on Premium Bandai and was on the Orphans team as my first company project. It's on my business card.

Mr. COLOR spray paint by Mr. Hobby is what I recommend over Tamiya if you have access to it. Be sure to always prime properly or else you risk making your plastic brittle because of the thinners in the paint.

Tamiya is a good brand as well, but Mr. Hobby paints is what the company uses and their finish is better, in my opinion.

Either way, learning a good spray technique is a must to be as cost efficient as possible with the price of paint since you cannot use airbrush. If you have a community you know who builds, having a communal airbrush setup that the group shares is always an option as you can do much more stuff with an airbrush since you can get finer sprays and more flexibility that spray cans can't provide.

Always build the kit before you paint so that you are familiar with the pieces and how they fit. That way you don't waste time buy accidentally chipping any paint when you put it together again.

It's the only time I'm jealous of my pirate friend who has a version of the Zeta Blu Ray with the dub AND the openings intact.

The Zeta Blu Rays had a dub??

Or does your friend have a "dubbed" version of them?

I mean, the music they chose at least sounds really epic, but still it would be nice to get the actual songs. Are they just stuck in licensing limbo?

... first picture I have of the box was January 2nd haha. First picture of it started assembly was March 1st... finished it April 5th rofl...

I'm the worst at making them in one go. I make a section, take a break find other things to do, then start, break, then start again.

Maybe in all it took like... 10 hours what it feels like, most likely something around 6. Keeps me from buying kits when I'm out shopping because its in the back of my head "I have one unbuilt on my desk!" Could probably do a MG or HG in one sitting if I concentrated. Thankfully there does not seem to be as many parts for the Ingram 3 compared to a Gundam MG.
damn.. i can't finish a kit till about 3 months- till half a year. lol

Okay I lied, I finished today.

Probably one of my favorite MGs, it was a joy to build (though as I said, detailing the DRAGOONs can get tedious). Of course I also adore the Providence so I may be a bit biased.

And quite honestly, the action base was worth getting the Premium Edition for, especially being the new kind (that apparently was also included with the MG Fenice Rinascita). For those that don't know, these bases have three locking mechanisms: one on the extendable arm, one on the support arm, and one on the part at the top that pivots. Way better than the old Action Base 1.
Shun tell them to make this the norm lol

Gonna leave it in a generic pose until I get that expansion set.
yo, Providence looks amazing!!!

EDIT: resized images for you:
nO4vw29.png

jFVxSnv.png

dtqW01n.png

XfG6Rj2.png

yami4ct

Have a build I've been poking away at in secret over the past week. It's nothing major, just some hand painted details, some lining and eventually a matte top coat, but I'm super duper happy with how it's coming together. Just got one piece and a top coat to go. I'll keep you all in suspense for the next few days until it's fully wrapped, but I can't wait to share it all done. (Don't worry, I've kept a few WIP photos in my photo queue already).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Zeta Blu Rays had a dub??

Or does your friend have a "dubbed" version of them?

I mean, the music they chose at least sounds really epic, but still it would be nice to get the actual songs. Are they just stuck in licensing limbo?

Yes the US release of the Blu-Ray last year has the dub on it. It's basically the same cast that did G Gundam, only it's not as perfect as that dub is.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I need some help from Gundam experts.
I currently have ~10 eps of the original series left and have been thinking about what to watch next.
Series I haven't watched, which are on VOD:
- Z
- W
- G
- Seed
- X
- ∀
- IBO
- G-Reco

I know that I definitely should try Z and Thunderbolt, but what to watch later. IBO, because it's new and shiny?
I should probably stay away from Age, given that I've seen nothing but hate for that series.

I need some help from Gundam experts.
I currently have ~10 eps of the original series left and have been thinking about what to watch next.
Series I haven't watched, which are on VOD:
- Z
- W
- G
- Seed
- X
- ∀
- IBO
- G-Reco

I know that I definitely should try Z and Thunderbolt, but what to watch later. IBO, because it's new and shiny?
I should probably stay away from Age, given that I've seen nothing but hate for that series.

Depends. How badly do you want to know what happens in the rest of the UC? If the answer is yes, very badly, I'd say maybe watch Thunderbolt first, it's pretty short, for the sick visuals and gritty story. Then jump to Zeta.

If you'd rather a break from the classic Gundam formula (politics, social issues and war) G Gundam offers a good way to break it up.

If you want that classic formula, but without the characters, IBO then. That's my suggestion anyway.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Depends. How badly do you want to know what happens in the rest of the UC? If the answer is yes, very badly, I'd say maybe watch Thunderbolt first, it's pretty short, for the sick visuals and gritty story. Then jump to Zeta.

If you'd rather a break from the classic Gundam formula (politics, social issues and war) G Gundam offers a good way to break it up.

If you want that classic formula, but without the characters, IBO then. That's my suggestion anyway.
Thanks, this sounds like good advice. I'll see how I feel after 0079 and Thunderbolt (since the latter is short and new), and might jump to IBO or G Gundam.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
By the way, has anyone here played Gundam Online?

I wanted to try it a while ago, but completely forgot. I see that it's still actively getting updates, so I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully I won't regret it.

By the way, has anyone here played Gundam Online?

I wanted to try it a while ago, but completely forgot. I see that it's still actively getting updates, so I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully I won't regret it.

I played the heck out of it when it came out. It's fun, but the pay wall hits hard, and is plagued by alot of the problems that effect these games.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I played the heck out of it when it came out. It's fun, but the pay wall hits hard, and is plagued by alot of the problems that effect these games.
Got through the tutorial and the first real match (which was still mostly bots, from what I could tell).
I get where you're coming from - there seems to be fun to be had there. Sadly, but amount of the different ways they want you to use microtransactions is too much for me.

Also, I feel that the game hasn't aged that well. I can imagine it was a real blast back when it was released, but now it feels old and clunky. Oh well, maybe they'll release a sequel someday or completely revamp this one.

Mr. COLOR spray paint by Mr. Hobby is what I recommend over Tamiya if you have access to it. Be sure to always prime properly or else you risk making your plastic brittle because of the thinners in the paint.

Tamiya is a good brand as well, but Mr. Hobby paints is what the company uses and their finish is better, in my opinion.

Either way, learning a good spray technique is a must to be as cost efficient as possible with the price of paint since you cannot use airbrush. If you have a community you know who builds, having a communal airbrush setup that the group shares is always an option as you can do much more stuff with an airbrush since you can get finer sprays and more flexibility that spray cans can't provide.

Always build the kit before you paint so that you are familiar with the pieces and how they fit. That way you don't waste time buy accidentally chipping any paint when you put it together again.

I've used lot of Tamiya spray before and always liked it, hence wanting to go with that. I do have an airbrush, just kinda lazy about it really.

Shun

... why? The show didn't do well, and it didn't sell gunpla. Critics tore the show apart too, who the hell asked for more Reconguista?

That's not true. It sold more than you would think, close to Orphans in toys and merchandising. It sold more than Orphans in rental, streaming, and DVD/BD sales.

Plenty of fans asked for more Reconguista and it's not the team's fault they had budget cuts and were fighting management throughout the entire production. You would be amazed the working conditions the staff had for G-Reco, and how they were still able to pull off the product they did with the last minute restrictions and changes made by the producers and broadcasters with storyboard cuts, cutting and reworking animation, having to outsource more because of said cuts.

The entire team loves the project very much and would love to continue to expand on it.

Hopefully with more G Reco they will actually bring a good story to go with the good art-style. Wasting such beautiful art...G Reco is a crime with what it wasted.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
G Reco isn't terrible. Its tough to comprehend, yes and leaves a lot open for interpretation, but Tomino has more than earned the right to make whatever he wants. More G-Reco, cool. Hell, I wish his turn a space4 show would get off the ground

I used Tamiya minicans for my MG Heavy Arms and it came out fine. I don't have an airbrush or anything but I think it came out well enough. I would recommend either taking them out of the runners and separating them by what parts they are. IE left leg parts, head ect. doing your prep work like cutting nubs then painting. In general your painting the armor for MG's so its easy to see what goes where more or less since most functions are in the skeleton below.

This is before some last touch ups to the paint in certain spots and topcoat ect ect. But the colors came out great and even.

Also I never finished G-Reco... think I made it to episode 14 and it lost my interest or like IBO started or something.

It's why I was so apprehensive about buying it honestly.

Bought a display case!

It was originally gonna be for my Gundams but there isn't enough depth to it for my Aegis, which is on the big side. It fit but no in the pose I wanted so I will look for a bigger one. For now I tossed in my randomly growing collection of figures. Never thought I'd get anime style figures but since I'm here I guess I'm willing to grab ones for characters I really really like such as Nina and Lisa Lisa. The Macross ones came out of the UFO catcher lol.

-edit- just realized everything in there is purple themed. I don't even like the color all that much.

RX-78 Origin is drying after top coat at the moment so not on display. So humid and rainy today its taking forever to dry :(
How is your display case missing a perved out Sheryl Nome? I thought that was mandatory.

Not everyone appreciates the brilliance of the Galactic Fairy. She's Sheryl Nome!
I mean he's got Mirage in there so his waifu taste can't be that bad...the name of that woman from Delta is escaping me though...oh yeah it's Mikumo, had to Google check that nonsense
Like at least toss Reina in there
. Mikumo's nothing more than a half ass hodgepodge of Sheryl and Sharon Apple any way.
tumblr_ndrnzmPW6o1s5f9ado1_r1_500.gif

Listen to her song. Now that I think of it I have a feeling that Lacus is kind of an inverted copy of Sheryl.
You know...funny enough I thought the Lisa Lisa figure was Rose from Street Fighter.

You know...funny enough I thought the Lisa Lisa figure was Rose from Street Fighter.

Rose is based on Lisa Lisa! :) The version I got is the color variant version, which is colored using Rose's style. It was a nice reverse nod by the Jojo team. Rose is my all time favorite Street Fighter character hence me liking Lisa Lisa too. Also Rose always has a secondary color scheme based on Lisa Lisa, Dark purple, black stockings, red heels and scarf.

How is your display case missing a perved out Sheryl Nome? I thought that was mandatory.

Not everyone appreciates the brilliance of the Galactic Fairy. She's Sheryl Nome!

I fully embrace the church of Sheryl Nome trust me. My figure goals were purely Lisa Lisa and Nina Williams though for premium money that is haha. While looking for those two Sheryl was my third option but man... since that series is now 10 years old a lot of the Sheryl stuff is expensive as heck. Had to hard pass on it.

Mirage was the first thing I ever won out of the UFO catcher, Mikumo was the second lol. I was pretty eh on the ladies of Delta though, like the one with red hair though... don't remember her name haha. They made it into the case simply cause I had them. (Probably going to pull them out and put in the Vic Viper (Zone of the Enders 2 version)

Now that I think about it, the theme of my display case is clearly badass bitch lady characters haha.
It's not a secret that they are the type of women I like in anime/games and real life... just look at my avatar @.@

Got a MG GM Sniper II from Barnes and Noble today. Also nearly caved and bought a Sazabi ver Ka from another shop, but it cost more than I actually had on me.

for those interested Arcadia is finally reprinting 1/60 Max and Miria VF-1J's these were commanding 1k as a set but now prices will finally come down.

Miria comes out August 2017, max comes out December 2017
preview pics:
http://ameblo.jp/arcadiaac/entry-12264383036.html

These look really good.

Rose is based on Lisa Lisa! :) The version I got is the color variant version, which is colored using Rose's style. It was a nice reverse nod by the Jojo team. Rose is my all time favorite Street Fighter character hence me liking Lisa Lisa too. Also Rose always has a secondary color scheme based on Lisa Lisa, Dark purple, black stockings, red heels and scarf.

I fully embrace the church of Sheryl Nome trust me. My figure goals were purely Lisa Lisa and Nina Williams though for premium money that is haha. While looking for those two Sheryl was my third option but man... since that series is now 10 years old a lot of the Sheryl stuff is expensive as heck. Had to hard pass on it.

Mirage was the first thing I ever won out of the UFO catcher, Mikumo was the second lol. I was pretty eh on the ladies of Delta though, like the one with red hair though... don't remember her name haha. They made it into the case simply cause I had them. (Probably going to pull them out and put in the Vic Viper (Zone of the Enders 2 version)

Now that I think about it, the theme of my display case is clearly badass bitch lady characters haha.
It's not a secret that they are the type of women I like in anime/games and real life... just look at my avatar @.@
Street Fighter is full of so many Jojo characters, that shit cracks me up. If I had to buy a Sheryl figure I think I have two options...probably both expensive as fuck.
Shit, these too.
I'd go broke as fuck just buying Sheryl figures and probably just die in an avalanche of them...
Regarding bad ass women I'd kill for a high quality Aloy statue, I'd love a Miria statue and then there's this:
bloodborne-lady-maria-of-the-astral-clocktower-statue-prime1-studio-silo-9029741.png

Were on the same wavelength my friend.

I like the second and third Sheryl figures as well but $$$. That Maria figure though, as someone who just beat BB a few weeks ago and instantly turned his desktop wallpaper to Maria that is a pipe dream figure. I like BB a lot, like ALOT but sorry thats out of my life price range lol.

Were on the same wavelength my friend.

I like the second and third Sheryl figures as well but $$$. That Maria figure though, as someone who just beat BB a few weeks ago and instantly turned his desktop wallpaper to Maria that is a pipe dream figure. I like BB a lot, like ALOT but sorry thats out of my life price range lol.
It's like when you buy expensive figures you might as well just sign your soul over. I spend a lot in photography gear but at least I can make it work for me. Can't do shit with that Maria statue and Sheryl stuff except look at it. Sheryl is bae though, I'm honestly surprised they stopped making her stuff.

Whoever was the dude that designed and greenlit the backpack for the MG Rezel can straight up get fuckin fucked. I think I put those fucking nob shits in the wrong fucking direction and then almost busted the god damn thing forcing it together only to deconstruct them and do it right holy motherfucking fucking fuck and can Bandai make these instructions in English already you fucking lazy sods.

Top Bottom