• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HaloGAF Montage: Reach Edition

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You know I was considering spending a few minutes to dissect and refute your silly post, but this is a lot more fun.
[QUOTES]

I still can't believe you said Halo appeals the hipster community. Hilarious.

In response to "games with bad art direction."

[QUOTES]

You demonstrate your complete lack of understanding of Halo's multiplayer and yet are so quick to condemn it. Halo isn't Quake and it's not trying to be. The comparison is silly and unnecessary.

In response to "Halo 4 Wishlist."

Even in a thread completely not about Halo you love to drag it's name through the mud.

I could go on and on. I don't begrudge you for having your opinions, you're entitled to it even if a lot of them are based on ignorance (in this very thread you mention you've played each of the main 3 entries maybe once or twice). What I do take issue with is your continued insistence to go into Halo threads just to shit all over it. Once you saw Halo in the thread title why did you click on it? If you don't play or understand Halo why did you think you'd somehow find this montage exhilarating? I don't particularly like RTS or understand Starcraft but I don't go into Starcraft threads to flaunt my ignorance and I certainly would never tell them that their videos and highlights are boring purely because I don't understand the game. I have a little more sense than that.

And for what it's worth, I grew up with Duke Nukem 3d and Doom so I love me so old school FPS too. I'm just capable of liking more than one style of FPS and I don't begrudge others for liking what I don't like.

the-rock-clapping.gif

XenoRaven

There's a HaloGAF.com? Well now I will have to go check this out. I've always thought about trying to play with HaloGAF but never really bothered to try too hard. Maybe I'll change that.

Awesome video. I really enjoyed it. It had a great combo of highlights and hilarity. Although I must say I wish I could a) use the Sniper Rifle and/or b) find that many enemies in that close proximity.

Gui_PT

There's a HaloGAF.com? Well now I will have to go check this out. I've always thought about trying to play with HaloGAF but never really bothered to try too hard. Maybe I'll change that.

Awesome video. I really enjoyed it. It had a great combo of highlights and hilarity. Although I must say I wish I could a) use the Sniper Rifle and/or b) find that many enemies in that close proximity.

It's easy, just go into multi team and you'll find lots of losers with guests that don't know how to play. Just like these guys did in the montage.

Oooohhhhhhh I went there!

XenoRaven

It's easy, just go into multi team and you'll find lots of losers with guests that don't know how to play. Just like these guys did in the montage.

Oooohhhhhhh I went there!
And I've been in Big Team and Team Objective this whole time! What have I been doing with my life?

GhaleonEB

I won't dissect my post history like you just did apparently. Excuse me for this. I still believe more than 90% of what I said before and I don't even try to hide it. I didn't trash anything in this thread and I replied because I saw the video and wanted to give my opinion about it. You look to be very passionate when trying to defend a game I didn't even attack. What I merely asked was if this was the best Halo could offer. Some people said no, some said that HaloGAF was very good hinting at a "yes". Some people have tried to answer a question in a simple and nice manner and you have lost your time looking at my older posts.

You wrote this:

I know the video is for fun and some parts were kinda funny (especially when someone kills all the stupid sniper players) but I found myself quite disapointed, I thought it was pretty underwhelming and boring and I refuse to believe that it was because HaloGAF isn't good at Halo.

I wonder if it's possible to make frag vids that are spectacular and impressive with halo seriously.
I don't think you actually wonder. Given your post history, it sounds like your opinion of Halo is pretty well formed. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't get why you are constantly trashing a series that by your own admission you haven't played in many years. Me, when I don't like something, I stop posting about it.

But I'll give explaining the good stuff in the video a shot. Take that opening clip, for example. What may look like a simple pretty display of explosions is actually an acute mix of skill and tactical execution. The guy first fires the AR in a short, controlled burst, in order to get the Elite to dodge out of the way, and force him to cluster up with the rest of his squad so as to maximize the likelihood of taking them all down in a cluster. The laser-like precision with which the plasma grenade was thrown, affixing to the corpse of a fallen Elite so as to optimally chain the plasma grenade pile meticulously accumulated over the course of the boss wave. Note how the player dodges out of the way to evade any stray, flying plasma grenades during the cacophony that follows, and then returns, AR primed, in case there were any survivors. Raw skill of that magnitude is rare. There's a reason it leads the montage.

Sure, there are some clips showing superb levels of situational awareness, such as when a player, in the middle of combat, jumps up and backward to land a killing melee blow on the back of an enemy who was behind them - twice. Or that guy that snipes an entire team, anticipates their next spawn, and chains his headshot sniping into them from there, never missing a single shot. Or that guy that sneaks up on a full squad of players, strips their shields with a pair of grenades, and headshots them all while strafing and juking to evade return fire. Nothing really comes close to the skills on display in that first clip.

You've played Halo - can you pull off the stuff in the montage? I took a clip of this one time I managed a double kill with the sniper back in Halo 3, I was so thrilled. And one of them was AFK.

But I'll give explaining the good stuff in the video a shot. Take that opening clip, for example. What may look like a simple pretty display of explosions is actually an acute mix of skill and tactical execution. The guy first fires the AR in a short, controlled burst, in order to get the Elite to dodge out of the way, and force him to cluster up with the rest of his squad so as to maximize the likelihood of taking them all down in a cluster. The laser-like precision with which the plasma grenade was thrown, affixing to the corpse of a fallen Elite so as to optimally chain the plasma grenade pile meticulously accumulated over the course of the boss wave. Note how the player dodges out of the way to evade any stray, flying plasma grenades during the cacophony that follows, and then returns, AR primed, in case there were any survivors. Raw skill of that magnitude is rare. There's a reason it leads the montage.

It's like you read my mind.

Gui_PT

The guy first fires the AR in a short, controlled burst, in order to get the Elite to dodge out of the way, and force him to cluster up with the rest of his squad so as to maximize the likelihood of taking them all down in a cluster. The laser-like precision with which the plasma grenade was thrown, affixing to the corpse of a fallen Elite so as to optimally chain the plasma grenade pile meticulously accumulated over the course of the boss wave. Note how the player dodges out of the way to evade any stray, flying plasma grenades during the cacophony that follows, and then returns, AR primed, in case there were any survivors. Raw skill of that magnitude is rare. There's a reason it leads the montage.

Honestly made me laugh out loud

kylej

Banned
I wonder if it's possible to make frag vids that are spectacular and impressive with halo seriously.

er, people normally move past that mentality when they turn 6 and a half years old. Most things look easy when you have no experience doing it yourself.

adelante

Lol...read Ghaleon's comment, then watched the video a second time only to realize he was describing his own l33t skillz haha nice

Not into Halo's MP but that was an awesome montage that you guys've put together, great work!

I won't dissect my post history like you just did apparently. Excuse me for this. I still believe more than 90% of what I said before and I don't even try to hide it. I didn't trash anything in this thread and I replied because I saw the video and wanted to give my opinion about it. You look to be very passionate when trying to defend a game I didn't even attack. What I merely asked was if this was the best Halo could offer. Some people said no, some said that HaloGAF was very good hinting at a "yes". Some people have tried to answer a question in a simple and nice manner and you have lost your time looking at my older posts.
You can think and say my opinion is wrong on every thread you want, I won't say that you can't expose your opinion. I could discuss my opinion of the Halo series and all the points you've quoted in this post to explain my position and my thoughts but I don't think this is the righ thread to do it. Hell I don't think there exists a thread to do just that without being considered a troll by fans of the franchise.
Thank you for ignoring the entire point of my post. Good day.

The problem is that you have constantly have been saying that Halo has been the downfall of FPS’s, across multiple related threads and even unrelated threads. So no surprise if people are baffled why you would even enter this thread. Your question about if this is the best Halo could offer is pretty much useless, because you clearly have already made up your mind and nothing anybody will ever say will sway you either way. There is no point in even going forth is you have already written it off, you waste yours and our time.

I really don’t see the appeal in JRPG’s anymore, but I don’t harass people that play them or downplay the games they play. Same logic applied here. You can discuss of course, but if you go prancing around multiple threads demeaning and show the lack of respect of the playbase, then no wonder people will jump on you. You have yet to make any real questions or a decent discussion which wasn’t laced with hyperbolic spewing nonsense.

I don't think you actually wonder. Given your post history, it sounds like your opinion of Halo is pretty well formed. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't get why you are constantly trashing a series that by your own admission you haven't played in many years. Me, when I don't like something, I stop posting about it.
I-I think these guys are on to something. Can you guess what it is?

Not even sure if this is worth doing but

Thats a list of halo montages from some of the most skilled players, HaloGAF is comprised of good players certainly above average and some really skilled but this montage isn't really supposed to reflect any of that its merely a fun community video by a group of clearly very passionate fans.

You seem to be under some illusion that Halo isnt very hard to be good at (protip: i think its related to your pc m+kb elitism). Halo without a doubt takes alot of skill to master and at the higher levels competition gets very stiff. Take into account that when/if you played halo and did well you were very likely playing with lower levels since matchmaking groups you with players of similar experience and if you have not played before your going in with the scrubs.

These videos will likely entice the "aim assist/no skill/limited movement" response from you but its worth a shot

Edit: list by Cyren with additions by myself

Top Bottom