• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HaloGAF Montage: Reach Edition

Nice to see montages that are more than kill highlights. I wish people would do this for other games.

More sub-GAFs should do video content. This is inspirational.

Woorloog

Banned
Nice to see montages that are more than kill highlights. I wish people would do this for other games.

More sub-GAFs should do video content. This is inspirational.

It would help if other games had in-built theater mode and fileshare, capture cards ain't that common.
And yeah, if we saw more of similar stuff... might insipire people try other games too.

I like the fact that you showed most of the stuff in 1st person and the HUD was nice looking and easy to read. I didn't like the music choice, I didn't see much synchronisation between the music and the action. Also, I didn't like the music itself at all (I know it's Halo music, but to me it just doesn't fit for frag highlight).
I'm not a halo player and I can't aim for shit with a gamepad (and even a mouse some would say). I don't want to sound like a jerk but coming from oldschool FPS like Half-life or Quake I can't say I was impressed by the skills shown in this video. I have played Halo once or twice (for the first three eps) and that's about it. I'm just not seeing what requires some particular skills, what is hard to do, what is smart to do as a player, etc... I know the video is for fun and some parts were kinda funny (especially when someone kills all the stupid sniper players) but I found myself quite disapointed, I thought it was pretty underwhelming and boring and I refuse to believe that it was because HaloGAF isn't good at Halo.
I wonder if it's possible to make frag vids that are spectacular and impressive with halo seriously. Nothing in the game looks impressive considering the aim assist and the fact that grenade spamming is pretty much encouraged. Do you have vids that you find impressive that you could recommend?

Just my thought, nice video.

I'm sure you hope halo 4 is less than 720p because it could be bad no?

From what I understand it wasn't really meant to be a skillful tage, there were some good clips in there, but I think on the whole it was just a funtage for the community. I dont really like Reach and the gameplay itself does little for me, but some of the stuff some of the members did was hilarious, and I really enjoyed the in jokes, was a really enjoyable watch from that point of view, thanks Duncan!

Reach is arguably the least interesting game out of the series, but just hit up youtube and watch some Halo 1,2 and maybe 3 montages, theres more to the series than you think.

Overdoziz

Banned
From what I understand it wasn't really meant to be a skillful tage, there were some good clips in there, but I think on the whole it was just a funtage for the community. I dont really like Reach and the gameplay itself does little for me, but some of the stuff some of the members did was hilarious, and I really enjoyed the in jokes, was a really enjoyable watch from that point of view, thanks Duncan!

Reach is arguably the least interesting game out of the series, but just hit up youtube and watch some Halo 1,2 and maybe 3 montages, theres more to the series than you think.
Well now you've done it.

WJD

I don't want to be that guy but it's videos like this which reinforce just how far Halo is above COD for me in terms of variety and overall fun. Even the often-crap Reach.

I think he's referring to the fact you responded to what appears to be a troll.

Yeah I sort of thought so but his comments seem legit enough. A montage is usually just a dongfest, I can sort of see why he would infer that Halo cant have too much to it if the montage the community put out is more of a funtage. Dont forget most people play Halo for like half an hour and think its all about rushing with an AR, you cant blame people who dont play Halo for not thinking there's much to the game when that's your introduction to matchmaking.

I really think the HaloGaf tage benefited from not being super serious, it had a great tone to it, but for someone who doesnt follow Halogaf a lot of the in jokes will be lost and it will just look like its supposed to be a serious tage. The dude should go ahead and look on Youtube to see what people put out there in terms of full on skill tage's but theres very good reasons why HaloGaf wouldnt go down that route.

Yeah I sort of thought so but his comments seem legit enough. A montage is usually just a dongfest, I can sort of see why he would infer that Halo cant have too much to it if the montage the community put out is more of a funtage. Dont forget most people play Halo for like half an hour and think its all about rushing with an AR, you cant blame people who dont play Halo for not thinking there's much to the game when that's your introduction to matchmaking.

I really think the HaloGaf tage benefited from not being super serious, it had a great tone to it, but for someone who doesnt follow Halogaf a lot of the in jokes will be lost and it will just look like its supposed to be a serious tage. The dude should go ahead and look on Youtube to see what people put out there in terms of full on skill tage's but theres very good reasons why HaloGaf wouldnt go down that route.

I think he just didn't like how the music didn't synchronize to some sweet cross map headshot while warping into a slow motion clip because the song is in the bridge BEFORE SPEEDING UP AND GETTING REALLY LOUD WITH SOME MORE HEADSHOTS AND THE SCREEN KEEPS ROTATING 90 DEGREES PERFECTLY IN SYNC WITH THE HARDCORE MUSIC AND SKILLS ON DISPLAY, BRO.

Just guessing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah, Duncan did perfect with what he chose.

Spiders

Great montage! Nice variety of clips, good choice of music and clean editing.

The opening made me laugh out loud, and the warthog part nearly had me in tears.

The guy hates Halo. Just do a post history search and ctrl+F Halo. He considers it the "destruction of the modern fps." Nothing you say will change his mind, he comes into the Halo threads just to shit up the place. It's common sense to not enter threads regarding topics that you hate but this guy just can't help himself. Don't waste any effort on him.

And the montage had a lot of sick multi-kills and was nearly devoid of any ARs, you don't need to try to defend it. HaloGAF has plenty of very skilled players. Maybe not MLG level, but plenty of way above average players and it shows in their clips.

RooMHM

The guy hates Halo. Just do a post history search and ctrl+F Halo. He considers it the "destruction of the modern fps." Nothing you say will change his mind, he comes into the Halo threads just to shit up the place. It's common sense to not enter threads regarding topics that you hate but this guy just can't help himself. Don't waste any effort on him.

And the montage had a lot of sick multi-kills and was nearly devoid of any ARs, you don't need to try to defend it. HaloGAF has plenty of very skilled players. Maybe not MLG level, but plenty of way above average players and it shows in their clips.
Looks like I hurt you mister. I can't help it if you consider my post as a troll. I have my opinion on halo and its effect on the FPS genre as a whole but that doesn't mean that I want to trash a video made by a member of HaloGAF. To each his tastes no? Or am I wrong because you can't accept that I don't like Halo and its music?
The only purpose of my comment was to give my opinion on the video and hope to help the maker improve if it's possible. I then asked a question to try to understand why I found it relatively boring, knowing that I'm not a halo player at all and that other games can impress me or astound me even if I don't know them or like them.

You seem to have little problems with reading because you actually try to defend HaloGAF and it's skills when I never even doubted the fact that it is populated by good players. In fact I even said that I considered that it was because of the game that I find it "meh" and not the level of HaloGAF players. I'm sorry that I comment on a video of a game I don't like and don't play but I think it can be good to hear some criticism, another opinion about a creation of yours and not just come for the congratulations only.

Bobs, thank you for answering like a smart guy. I guess I didn't really understand some of the jokes or fun parts then because I don't play the game.

Net_Wrecker I'm sorry but you guess badly. Also, maybe you should watch more frag highlights or game showcase videos.

2San

I think this is what makes the Halo series special. The physics engine simply allows some hilarious wacky stuff, which simply isn't possible in other games.

BF3 is another example of an engine that has a similar type of freedom.

Havok

Bobs, thank you for answering like a smart guy. I guess I didn't really understand some of the jokes or fun parts then because I don't play the game.
I think this has a lot to do with it. I can't imagine any Halo montage being as impressive if, for example, I didn't know that an extermination medal was awarded when you put the entire enemy team into the respawn screen at the same time, or how assassination mechanics worked, or even just the feel of the game. This was also pretty chock full of clips that wouldn't be part of your normal Halo montage, like the flag pickup failure and my stupid flying Ghost (Duncan gets massive credit for pairing it with its music, that was great).

The game isn't super fast like the games I know you like from your post history, but it's all relative stuff.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Alienshogun's piece and Tunavi + Tawpgun's piece are wayyyyy better now.

Edit : Also, I neglected to say this earlier, but Gui's clip is SO RAD. He had no health at all when he got rammed by that Falcon, haha.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Edit : Also, I neglected to say this earlier, but Gui's clip is SO RAD. He had no health at all when he got rammed by that Falcon, haha.

Yeah, Gui and Letter's clips are probably my favorites aside from the warthog fail.

Letters just brought it home like a baus.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Gui and Letter's clips are probably my favorites aside from the warthog fail.

Yeah, I remember when Letters first posted that clip. His team was down 47 - 49, his idiot team mates were waddling towards the enemy team, and Letters busts out a triple with the sniper for the win. So good.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nice montage guys, was a good watch.

Fuck Halo looks so much more fun when other people play it. I get pissed the second I start getting shot.

You know I was considering spending a few minutes to dissect and refute your silly post, but this is a lot more fun.

Well it's easier to impress when all halo games have been underwhelming in terms of graphics.
HL2 not first? Time to vote once more.
The choices, I agree with about ... none of them? Best racing not going to trackmania, best game to MGS3, etc.
To think that Halo 2 had won best FPS originally makes me lose faith in the future of FPS.
Talking about horseshit you put Valve, Blizzard and IW together? Hahaha.

Halo's influence on the industry is the destruction of the FPS genre. The attempt to create a competitive community in halo is such a joke I can't even tell. It made people think the game was balanced, interesting to play and fast paced which it is not. It appealed to the hipster community that's all. What you list as achievements in game developping are either irrelevant (AI really?) or laughably wrong (weapon sandbox...). I don't consider match making as awesome or innovative. It's just a way to simplify matches setup for console gamers. How does this make the genre improve? It doesn't. Finally the stat tracking you talk about is probably the biggest joke of all. So Bungie introduced a Facebook type application in their game, how cool! You don't even know how many stats could be collected from PC games more than 10 years ago.

True big FPS were released around 2000 and were infinitely superior to any kind of Halo.

It's not strange. Thanks to Halo the competitve FPS genre is dead. Thank you Bungie? It's not a matter of touching the game or playing it regularly it's just a matter of genre regression and over simplification to the point that it's not even interesting at all anymore. I'm quite torn between blaming Bungie or people who bought the game for killing my favorite genre. But I can only blame Bungie because if they didn't ally with Microsoft and organized a giant brain washing ad campaign for the launch of xbox maybe the FPS genre would still be in full shape?

Also, everybody knows that there are some improvements in the halo sequels (and some horrible design choices too) but the argument that Bungie sold the same game 5 times is valid because the changes are so minimal it can't justify more than a patch release except for a new campaign. I don't see more difference between the Halo's and HL/Op4.
I still can't believe you said Halo appeals the hipster community. Hilarious.
Gears of war series
Halo series
Bulletstorm
Modnation racer

These games aren't good so it's not really a problem but you don't pay "artists" to do THIS.

See Valve games for taking lessons.
In response to "games with bad art direction."
Thank you! I don't know anything that Halo brought and was actually good for the genre. Everything in this series is a downgrade compared to the best FPS from 199X-2000
WOW. You talk about Crysis which brought innovation in gameplay and perfected the open-gameplay model with Halo that is a regression of the FPS genre? What?
I see nothing that was introduced by Halo and even if you find some I'd argue that they are either insignificant or negative for the genre. Everything in Halo and the Halo series as a whole had been done years before AND better. I'm not talking about console FPS, it doesn't deserve a mention in my opinion. There is FPS and that's it.
That's perfectly, you like Halo. You're just not fans of "real" FPS.
Wow, what a bizarro world you live in. Imo Halo is the exact opposite of Quake (which is why i loathe it). It's slow, the weapons aren't smart, the map design is non existant, there are no movement possibilities, it's assisted ...
You demonstrate your complete lack of understanding of Halo's multiplayer and yet are so quick to condemn it. Halo isn't Quake and it's not trying to be. The comparison is silly and unnecessary.
Gameplay innovations
Movement & physics engine

I know it won't happen.
In response to "Halo 4 Wishlist."
I don't believe that motion controls have a place in hardcore gaming (performance gaming where you have to learn to play and improve a.k.a. not Halo for example).
Even in a thread completely not about Halo you love to drag it's name through the mud.

Where is that HAHA, OH WOW jpg when we need it most.

Also I'd like to ignore Halo if it didn't do any harm which isn't the case. The number of games sold has lead developer to think the game was good or even interesting and that's very far from my opinion. It has literally killed the FPS genre by puting a console lead for a genre thats not adapted to consoles at all even with the downgrades in gameplay and the over simplification of its mechanisms. Let's see where Arena FPS are now ... I don't see any. Competitive FPS? No more. I think the last one was Painkiller.
Because it has set the nom (I wonder how because its inferior to almost everything that was done before on PC), the FPS genre has known a continual downgrade like a creative blackhole. I'd really love to ignore Halo.

It's not about polluting threads, it's about changing the opinions. I believe that if you prefer something that is worse it's because you don't really know the better games. This lack of knowledge (ignorance of the PC scene) among the gamers is the only cause to this imo. is it wrong to try and show that there are more interesting things?
Three new Halo games? I want to puke now.

I could go on and on. I don't begrudge you for having your opinions, you're entitled to it even if a lot of them are based on ignorance (in this very thread you mention you've played each of the main 3 entries maybe once or twice). What I do take issue with is your continued insistence to go into Halo threads just to shit all over it. Once you saw Halo in the thread title why did you click on it? If you don't play or understand Halo why did you think you'd somehow find this montage exhilarating? I don't particularly like RTS or understand Starcraft but I don't go into Starcraft threads to flaunt my ignorance and I certainly would never tell them that their videos and highlights are boring purely because I don't understand the game. I have a little more sense than that.

And for what it's worth, I grew up with Duke Nukem 3d and Doom so I love me so old school FPS too. I'm just capable of liking more than one style of FPS and I don't begrudge others for liking what I don't like.

Sai-kun

Banned
You know I was considering spending a few minutes to dissect and refute your silly post, but this is a lot more fun.

TPrUC.gif

This post gave me life.

GloveSlap

Lol, that Roo guy is to Halo what Good Job Bob is to Joss Whedon over in off topic. He doesn't like the game yet he is obsessed with game to the point where he spends more time talking about it than most fans.

The dig on Halo's music was the best part, it makes it painfully obvious he is looking for anything and everything to hate on. Even Lost haters have enough sense not to complain about its music.

Gui_PT

Finally men that appreciate quality!

<3

RooMHM

I still can't believe you said Halo appeals the hipster community. Hilarious.

In response to "games with bad art direction."

You demonstrate your complete lack of understanding of Halo's multiplayer and yet are so quick to condemn it. Halo isn't Quake and it's not trying to be. The comparison is silly and unnecessary.

In response to "Halo 4 Wishlist."

Even in a thread completely not about Halo you love to drag it's name through the mud.

I could go on and on. I don't begrudge you for having your opinions, you're entitled to it even if a lot of them are based on ignorance (in this very thread you mention you've played each of the main 3 entries maybe once or twice). What I do take issue with is your continued insistence to go into Halo threads just to shit all over it. Once you saw Halo in the thread title why did you click on it? If you don't play or understand Halo why did you think you'd somehow find this montage exhilarating? I don't particularly like RTS or understand Starcraft but I don't go into Starcraft threads to flaunt my ignorance and I certainly would never tell them that their videos and highlights are boring purely because I don't understand the game. I have a little more sense than that.

And for what it's worth, I grew up with Duke Nukem 3d and Doom so I love me so old school FPS too. I'm just capable of liking more than one style of FPS and I don't begrudge others for liking what I don't like.
I won't dissect my post history like you just did apparently. Excuse me for this. I still believe more than 90% of what I said before and I don't even try to hide it. I didn't trash anything in this thread and I replied because I saw the video and wanted to give my opinion about it. You look to be very passionate when trying to defend a game I didn't even attack. What I merely asked was if this was the best Halo could offer. Some people said no, some said that HaloGAF was very good hinting at a "yes". Some people have tried to answer a question in a simple and nice manner and you have lost your time looking at my older posts.
You can think and say my opinion is wrong on every thread you want, I won't say that you can't expose your opinion. I could discuss my opinion of the Halo series and all the points you've quoted in this post to explain my position and my thoughts but I don't think this is the righ thread to do it. Hell I don't think there exists a thread to do just that without being considered a troll by fans of the franchise.
The dig on Halo's music was the best part, it makes it painfully obvious he is looking for anything and everything to hate on. Even Lost haters have enough sense not to complain about its music.
I guess not liking LOST music must mean you're a retard no? Same goes for Halo?

Thing is even if I don't like Halo (I mean, really, but you must know it by now?), I try to understand why people like it and what it can really offer. I don't plan on playing games I don't enjoy so that's a problem if I want to understand what the game is made of at its best. I could've trashed the thread in a very less subtile manner, but I didn't. The guy who made the video doesn't deserve that, he's made a great job and the players too (even if I can't assess how hard it was).

TheOddOne

I won't dissect my post history like you just did apparently. Excuse me for this. I still believe more than 90% of what I said before and I don't even try to hide it. I didn't trash anything in this thread and I replied because I saw the video and wanted to give my opinion about it. You look to be very passionate when trying to defend a game I didn't even attack. What I merely asked was if this was the best Halo could offer. Some people said no, some said that HaloGAF was very good hinting at a "yes". Some people have tried to answer a question in a simple and nice manner and you have lost your time looking at my older posts.
You can think and say my opinion is wrong on every thread you want, I won't say that you can't expose your opinion. I could discuss my opinion of the Halo series and all the points you've quoted in this post to explain my position and my thoughts but I don't think this is the righ thread to do it. Hell I don't think there exists a thread to do just that without being considered a troll by fans of the franchise.

I guess not liking LOST music must mean you're a retard no? Same goes for Halo?

Thing is even if I don't like Halo (I mean, really, but you must know it by now?), I try to understand why people like it and what it can really offer. I don't plan on playing games I don't enjoy so that's a problem if I want to understand what the game is made of at its best. I could've trashed the thread in a very less subtile manner, but I didn't. The guy who made the video doesn't deserve that, he's made a great job and the players too (even if I can't assess how hard it was).
The problem is that you have constantly have been saying that Halo has been the downfall of FPS’s, across multiple related threads and even unrelated threads. So no surprise if people are baffled why you would even enter this thread. Your question about if this is the best Halo could offer is pretty much useless, because you clearly have already made up your mind and nothing anybody will ever say will sway you either way. There is no point in even going forth is you have already written it off, you waste yours and our time.

I really don’t see the appeal in JRPG’s anymore, but I don’t harass people that play them or downplay the games they play. Same logic applied here. You can discuss of course, but if you go prancing around multiple threads demeaning and show the lack of respect of the playbase, then no wonder people will jump on you. You have yet to make any real questions or a decent discussion which wasn’t laced with hyperbolic spewing nonsense.

KageMaru

Great montage, it's these videos that really highlight what makes Halo MP awesome.

I always want to play Halo after watching these types of videos, only to be reminded that I'm nowhere near as good as people that play everyday.

Do I need to have leet skills to play with HaloGaf?

I don't want to be that guy but it's videos like this which reinforce just how far Halo is above COD for me in terms of variety and overall fun. Even the often-crap Reach.

The random crazy nature of Halo is what makes it great. IMO only Battlefield offers those same type of "oh shit" moments where the sandbox allows some awesome moments.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Great montage, it's these videos that really highlight what makes Halo MP awesome.

I always want to play Halo after watching these types of videos, only to be reminded that I'm nowhere near as good as people that play everyday.

Do I need to have leet skills to play with HaloGaf?
Most of the people in the montage don't have a k/d higher than 1.3.

Meaning they suck, HaloGAF buried.

Top Bottom