• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Barrel scene

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that was indeed it. After all,
the barrel-sequence was originally shot under the pretense that it would be the final action set-piece of An Unexpected Journey back when it was still just two films. So Jackson likely went all-out with it.

Snake

I won't deny that these impressions have me intrigued, but I'm still maintaining a skeptical stance until I see it for myself. AUJ burned me bad.

I won't deny that these impressions have me intrigued, but I'm still maintaining a skeptical stance until I see it for myself.

image.php

bengraven

I don't know if it's that scene mentioned above, though. I have a hard time believing that can be intense...unless they've added some "bad guys" to it, if you know what i mean. The filthy kind.

aceface

Wow the Appendices of AUJ EE are phenomenal. So detailed and entertaining.

Yeah I think I enjoyed them more than the movie, no joke. Not that I disliked the movie or anyhing but the appendices are such an in depth account of the filmmaking, it's great.

Vashetti

Banned
I didn't get emotional though.

The LOTR appendices definitely felt more like an epic journey and the cast seemed to have much more of a true bond.

Loxley

This part fucking destroyed me at the cinema back when I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNFjgCVeBo

Not one eye dry.

Brilliant

Every time I watch that scene I think back to the Appendices where they talk about what a nightmare it was to film, despite being one of the very first scenes they shot for the trilogy. Back in 2004 it actually gave me a new appreciation for what actors do. It must have just been just draining emotionally to film that scene again and again, but they pulled it off like pros each time.

You're both wrong. It's gonna hit 76-79%

Edit: Holy shit. I just went to check on AUJ on RT and found this review quote:

Peter Jackson didn't particularly want to direct The Hobbit, and I didn't particularly want to be bored to tears, but there we both were, fulfilling what could only be described as some sort of cinematic murder-suicide pact.

That shit is gold.

The Two Towers had an amazing sense of closure for an actual film, considering it was the middle of the trilogy, while still teasing what was to come.

I didn't feel like this at all. It started with all of them walking through mud, it ended with them walking through mud.

I thought the first one(FOTR) had the best closure. Both Frodo and Borormir got great character development, the change in location and pace. I can't say that about TTT.

Ixion

Im guessing a 70-75% tomatometer.

The reviews will be interesting. Let's take a look at the main issues the critics had with AUJ:

-High Frame-Rate
-Took a while to get going
-Excessive action sequences
-Not enough happens plot-wise

Three of those complaints likely won't be made for DOS.

-The press is seeing the film in 24 FPS
-The introductions are done and so the story is at full speed
-We'll likely still get excessive action sequences (but if they're as amazing as people are saying, that will help)
-A lot of cool shit happens in the second third of the book, including progression of the main plot

Perhaps there will be new complaints though. We shall see...

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that was indeed it. After all,
the barrel-sequence was originally shot under the pretense that it would be the final action set-piece of An Unexpected Journey back when it was still just two films. So Jackson likely went all-out with it.
I think that's exactly it

Ixion

I didn't feel like this at all. It started with all of them walking through mud, it ended with them walking through mud.

But the other two groups (Aragorn & Co. and Treebeard & Co.) definitely had great build-up and payoff.

In the books, Frodo & Sam are treated well by Faramir and then deal with Shelob at the end of The Two Towers. So they had more progression in the book.

In the movie, Faramir takes Frodo & Sam all the way back to Osgiliath before deciding not to be a dick.

During the Second Age :

Heh, Numenor is alot bigger than I thought.

Also, I remember when reading the Silmarillion for the first time (I was about 10-12 years old), looking at the map of Middle-Earth in the 1st Age, then going back to the map of the 2nd Age. That confused the absolute hell out me and seeing as I didn't finish the book the first time round I was confused for a good few years! I though that Middle Earth in LOTR was simply north of the Middle Earth in the Silmarillion until I attempted a second reading.

The Gods were proper pissed with Numenor to have wrecked that much havoc on the world.

EDIT: Hold on a second. Now I'm even more confused.

Well fuck. This is gonna require some more research.

2nd EDIT: Now this looks more like what I thought happened. Makes alot more sense as I can see the land bridge the Elves used to cross from the undying lands.

bengraven

This part fucking destroyed me at the cinema back when I saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNFjgCVeBo

Not one eye dry.

Brilliant

Goddamn, I know.

I suddenly realized something, too: people who had never read the books must have been shocked and DESTROYED when he said "It is time, Frodo" and they realized Frodo was leaving his friends as well.

*pains in the heart*

--

To make matters worse, the pain you see on their faces is real because this is the last day the hobbits, who had become best friends over the 3 years, are going to be working together. The next day they'd be moving on to new things.

RDreamer

I'm so excited for this movie. I honestly absolutely love the first Hobbit quite a bit. I'm not even entirely sure why, since I guess I can see technically why other people dislike it comparatively. I just really fucking love it. If this one can top it, that'd be so amazing.

Ixion

Not really surprising, but DOS is one of the 10 remaining movies competing for a Best Visual Effects Oscar nomination:

Elysium
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Iron Man 3
The Lone Ranger
Oblivion
Star Trek Into Darkness
Thor: The Dark World
Pacific Rim
World War Z

I imagine this will come down to The Hobbit vs Gravity.

Ixion

When's the embargo up?

Sunday morning.

Anywho, here's an interesting impression from a TORN member. He made a thread about how the CGI makes the movie seem fake and less believable than LOTR, but then he said he still thinks the movie is "awesome" lol...

I'm heart broken. All the history and the antiquity we were blessed with in in The Lord Of The Rings has vanished and we are now viewing middle earth from inside a cartoon world.

The use of CGI is completely over done and almost forced. I can only imagine how bad it will be in TABA within the
battle of 5
. :( I'm heart broken! They put sooooo much time into such detail in these movies. Such hard work, and it seems pointless with all the animation and CGI that makes so much looks fake. The film is very 'NOT believable" where as LOTR was viewed to me as something that almost happened. I'm just so sad about it. Where CGI was needed, things looked great, but all the use of it in the sky's, the landscape, the orcs, the elves, the wizard, the circus stunts within the fighting. Just disgusts me.

A big miss for the middle earth base. ......tho I'm still grateful for the movies, nonetheless. These two trilogies will bare no character or atmosphere similarities at all. Two totally different feels! I'm not even identifying with any of the characters at all, just maybe bilbo, the heart of the story even seems lost in all the cartoon.

STAR WARS ALERT!!!!! ...are ancient world of middle earth has been lost!

Don't get me wrong on the negative notions. The movie IS AWESOME!!!!!!

Sunday morning.

Anywho, here's an interesting impression from a TORN member. He made a thread about how the CGI makes the movie seem fake and less believable than LOTR, but then he said he still thinks the movie is "awesome" lol...

Thanks!

I feel as if he's blowing it out proportion a bit. That being said, the ridiculous use of CGI in the goblin village did break my heart when I saw AUJ.

Ixion

Thanks!

I feel as if he's blowing it out proportion a bit. That being said, the ridiculous use of CGI in the goblin village did break my heart when I saw AUJ.

He's right in that The Hobbit movies don't have that "historical" feel that LOTR had. But then again, the book also doesn't have that feel.

I'm not saying AUJ looked perfect. It certainly had scenes that were too ridiculous and just looked bad, like the stone giants sequence, but overall, I don't mind the more "cartoony" look.

I think the problem may be that PJ didn't go all in. These movies aren't 100% whimsical and cartoony. He's mixing in LOTR elements.

NeoGiff

Sunday morning.

Man, I was refreshing the hell out of that thread non-stop yesterday! Unfortunately TORn is down for me now, I've been trying to get on all day to no avail. Has he given any more interesting/significant information? Spoilers aren't an issue.

Oh snap. Hollywood Reporter review. Embargo lifted early?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-desolation-smaug/review/663372

Nearly everything about "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved creation, writes Todd McCarthy.

The Bottom Line

Non-stop peril and action in the improved middle section of the Middle-Earth saga.

Loxley

Jackson says in this interview with CBS that next year he plans on working to re-release his old movies on blu-ray.

Goddamn, I know.

I suddenly realized something, too: people who had never read the books must have been shocked and DESTROYED when he said "It is time, Frodo" and they realized Frodo was leaving his friends as well.

*pains in the heart*

--

To make matters worse, the pain you see on their faces is real because this is the last day the hobbits, who had become best friends over the 3 years, are going to be working together. The next day they'd be moving on to new things.

Fun fact, that scene was actually one of the very first scenes that they shot for the trilogy :) The cast had really only known each other for a short while up to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom