• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finrod

Banned
Really curious what they come up with for the last film.
I hope its more in the vein of the Lotr songs this time, but i somehow doubt it.
My expectations for this movie are surprisingly low. Lets hope i am pleasantly surprised.

Loxley

Really curious what they come up with for the last film.
I hope its more in the vein of the Lotr songs this time, but i somehow doubt it.
My expectations for this movie are surprisingly low. Lets hope i am pleasantly surprised.

At this point all I want is for the main theme from AUJ to make a return. Its absence from DOS made me said, because it's great.

How long until we get the trailer?

It's very likely to be attached to Edge of Tomorrow since that's WB's next big film. So as Dantès said, probably within the next two weeks.

Finrod

Banned
Yes! i thought for sure this would be a main theme throughout the trilogy. such a weird omission.

It's very likely to be attached to Edge of Tomorrow since that's WB's next big film. So as Dantès said, probably within the next two weeks.

I`m going to see this movie tonight, it premiered in my country yesterday, so i doubt they will show a BOFA trailer here.

Jacob

At this point all I want is for the main theme from AUJ to make a return. Its absence from DOS made me said, because it's great.

Honestly, they used that theme so much in AUJ that I was sick of it by the film's end. It didn't help that the only other memorable musical cues in the film were recycled from LOTR. I was glad not to hear that tune in DOS, though it's been long enough now that if they use it again in BOFA I doubt I'd mind much.

I am looking forward to the new trailer. We're only six and a half months out, too. It's hard to believe after following these films for over five years that they will be finished in half a year. A year and a half if you include the final EE, and then it's all over. Unless we get a spin-off (or a remake much sooner than expected).

Loxley

Howard Shore's track of choice for DOS was definitely the Erebor/Durin's Folk/Thorin theme first heard in AUJ, which makes sense when you consider that the majority of the focus in DOS was on Thorin and the dwarves finally reaching the Lonely Mountain. My guess is that the absence of the Misty Mountains theme was meant to mimic Shore's breaking of the Fellowship theme in the Lord of the Rings films.

Loxley

A new trailer on E3 week? Is such a thing even possible?

At this point I'm just going to keep saying "We'll likely get the trailer this week" every single week until it actually happens :) I thought for sure it would be hitting with Edge of Tomorrow, but we definitely would have heard about it by now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
At this point I'm just going to keep saying "We'll likely get the trailer this week" every single week until it actually happens :) I thought for sure it would be hitting with Edge of Tomorrow, but we definitely would have heard about it by now.
Yep. With Jupiter Ascending delayed until 2015, there aren't many WB films upcoming that the trailer could be attached to.

Attachment to a non-WB film is likely now. Possibly How to Train Your Dragon 2.

strafer

Why must the trailer be attached to something? They should just release online, far more viewers.

JA will bomb anyways.

k... call me super slow, but I finally watched Disney's The Black Cauldron and this dude

tumblr_mkll0s8x2G1r1ogfco2_500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liQT1ntAQBs

(Gurgi) I have to say this character is where the Andy Serkis definitely got his influence for Gollum.

Heck, alot of locations look like Mordor as well, so I'm sure it's had influence in other places at Weta well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
k... call me super slow, but I finally watched Disney's The Black Cauldron and this dude

http://24.media.tumblr.com/1f2b232e47bfeaa8b8fefa0590c62f9b/tumblr_mkll0s8x2G1r1ogfco2_500.jpg[/im]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liQT1ntAQBs[/url]

(Gurgi) I have to say this character is where the Andy Serkis definitely got his influence for Gollum.

Heck, alot of locations look like Mordor as well, so I'm sure it's had influence in other places at Weta well.[/QUOTE]
Certainly he must have been aware of Gurgi as a character. One can thus deduce that he may have used him as an inspiration.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Drwep4I.png

Interesting. The rushed VFX isn't particularly surprising. Tends to happen with trailers.

The Hobbit films have had a problem with rushed VFX in general. It's a larger problem in the industry, when you're getting more and more films demanding more and more scenes packed with CG, and only a very short amount of time to produce it.

Loxley

The Hobbit films have had a problem with rushed VFX in general. It's a larger problem in the industry, when you're getting more and more films demanding more and more scenes packed with CG, and only a very short amount of time to produce it.

Unfortunately this is the case. Perhaps if these Hobbit films were the only movies Weta Digital were working on, the outcome of the effects could have been different. But they're seemingly tapped to assist with VFX shots in every single blockbuster in existence these days. So yeah, like the VFX industry as a whole they're probably stretched ridiculously thin.

And that's on top of working with Jackson, who is infamous for his tendency to go to Weta Digital with requests like "We had a change in the script and now we need a fully modeled, textured and animated monster in two weeks." Which was the case during The Lord of the Rings as well. I suppose when you're working on films that are such huge productions like these (and all at the same time no less) things like that are pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;115949159 said:
Probably the official synopsis of TBOTFA

http://kinotipp-trailer.blogspot.de/2014/06/neu-der-hobbit-die-schlacht-der-funf.html?spref=tw

Seems to confirm Christopher Lee and Hugo Weaving's return to the narrative and that Ian Holm's Bilbo will indeed complete the book-ending. No sign of Frodo.

It'll be nice to see Ian Holm's Bilbo one last time. Despite having a fraction of the overall screen-time as Freeman in the grand scheme of both trilogies, he managed to give a fantastic, memorable performance.

It'll be nice to see Ian Holm's Bilbo one last time. Despite having a fraction of the overall screen-time as Freeman in the grand scheme of both trilogies, he managed to give a fantastic, memorable performance.

more a fault in writing. if the hobbit gave us more bilbo scenes like that freak-out in DOS when the spider was near the ring then i'd be enamored with freeman.

but ian holm surprisingly had much more to work with in fellowship of the ring. i could watch a 3 hour movie of bilbo's birthday party.

He made a cracking Frodo in the BBC radio play as well, though I think I prefer him as Bilbo. He pretty much nailed how I imagined the character reading the books, moreso than anyone else in the films (except maybe Christopher Lee).

Loxley

As a side piece of trivia, Ian Holm is now as old as Christopher Lee was in Fellowship of the Ring (he pretty much has been for the last couple of years, it's only now just occurring to me). Ian Mckellen will be there himself in about 3-4 years.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Indeed. It's highly unlikely that the Estate will ever deal with WB directly and as for Saul Zaentz and Middle-earth Enterprises even less so.

Any potential future deal regarding The Silmarillion licence will have to be negotiated with a company the Estate (whoever has control after Christopher's death) feels would do justice to the I.P.

BBC possibly, but it's been a very long time since the BBC have attempted a high fantasy adaptation.

Vashetti

Banned
Edmond Dantès;115982504 said:
Indeed. It's highly unlikely that the Estate will ever deal with WB directly and as for Saul Zaentz and Middle-earth Enterprises even less so.

Any potential future deal regarding The Silmarillion licence will have to be negotiated with a company the Estate (whoever has control after Christopher's death) feels would do justice to the I.P.

BBC possibly, but it's been a very long time since the BBC have attempted a high fantasy adaptation.

The BBC couldn't do it justice. Everything is low budget, no matter how 'good' the series is.

The Silmarillion needs a huge budget to do it justice. I know budget does not automatically equal good, but in case, a high budget is necessary.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The BBC couldn't do it justice. Everything is low budget, no matter how 'good' the series is.

The Silmarillion needs a huge budget to do it justice. I know budget does not automatically equal good, but in case, a high budget is necessary.
Very true. Can't really think of anyone else the Estate would be willing to deal with. HBO's mentioned quite a lot, but I just can't see the Estate being willing to licence the IP to them.

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;115982504 said:

The BBC wrapped up Merlin just a couple of years ago, which was basically high fantasy in the Narnia/HP vein (ie, for children, which is not necessarily a bad thing). I didn't watch the whole show, but if the first couple episodes were any indication, then the budget problems that Vashetti speaks of were in full effect.

Manu Bennett (Azog) apparently doing pick-ups in July. To my knowledge, he's the only one - as every other member of the cast who's been asked has said they're finished with filming.

And still no word on the trailer :/

Have we ever reached June without seeing a LOTR/Hobbit trailer? My memory's not great, but I seem to recall that any year there was a Rings film coming out, there was always at least one trailer out by summer to get the hype going.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;116018885 said:
Very true. Can't really think of anyone else the Estate would be willing to deal with. HBO's mentioned quite a lot, but I just can't see the Estate being willing to licence the IP to them.

Hah, an HBO production. Can't wait for all the elf tits.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Have we ever reached June without seeing a LOTR/Hobbit trailer? My memory's not great, but I seem to recall that any year there was a Rings film coming out, there was always at least one trailer out by summer to get the hype going.
The first official trailer for ROTK was released in September, so there is precedent for this.

It has been speculated by a OneRing.net staff member that the trailer could be released to coincide with San Diego Comic-con in July.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/06/16/90060-some-clarification-of-the-hobbit-trailer-situation/

Off-topic: Congrats for the Member status.

Loxley

Yeah, what's going on with that first trailer? IIRC they already had released the DOS one by this date last year.

Last year we had footage of DOS as early as March - with the whole DOS live-reveal event that Jackson held. This is definitely unusually late for a Hobbit trailer. The only reasoning I can think of is that the VFX are being polished.

Finrod

Banned
Pretty neat, missed a lot of that stuff in the vlogs. Looks like we are getting a lot of Dale.
Looks like Thranduil is getting his hands dirty, pretty excited for more of him. One of the best parts of DoS for me.

Also, Orlando is enjoying that horse ride way too much.

heh

also Filthy tricksie lil Hobbitses. Is he mad cos he got shafted on his wages or something.

I mean, when it's over 20 times he just doesn't give a fuck.

From some of the comments I've read, Martin Freeman sounds like a bit of a dick in real life. Obviously I'm basing this on nothing more than various comments the internet has attributed to him, and am certainly not letting the two films thus far cloud my judgement of him, but yeah... not always the friendliest person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom