• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

zelhawks37

Weirdly enough
the only time his death hit me real hard was in door 7.

That one hit me the hardest too. Every time Michel had a glimpse of happiness,
it is taken away. The scene with his mother visiting his corpse was tough to read,
not to mention all the people that caused him pain ended up living wonderful lives.

The Cursed Mansion.

Oh no. No no no no no no no wow no.

Why is this peaceful time of Michel and Giselle too goshdarn sweet and goes on too goshdarn long? O Fata Morgana, why must you let my heart soar high if you'll just inevitably cast it down? The longer it lasts, the more hurtful it'll be. And this song so beautiful and cute. It makes no sense. I can't take it. I...

I can just stop playing.

Yes, I'll just stop playing forever, and the can be happy forever in the limbo of my PC. Then I'll buy the soundtrack and play that song over and over, and over, and over...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That one hit me the hardest too. Every time Michel had a glimpse of happiness,
it is taken away. The scene with his mother visiting his corpse was tough to read,
not to mention all the people that caused him pain ended up living wonderful lives.

(endgame spoilers)
Did they though?

I feel like didiers and georges ending up in the mansion even with no connection to morgana speaks that they really didn't?

I hope Aimee dies in a fucking trashfire though.

Finished Room 2 in one sitting.

NO MORE HAM SANDWICHES IN THE PARK I GUESS

Also,
He's a beast because he's a foreign person we've never seen before so let's stare and be racist and poke him with sticks. Once I realized what was going on,
the Maid teaching him to speak because he only spoke Japanese (which was just weird noises to everyone else) kinda blew my mind.
But man, the scene on the ship with the other sailors, dude is psychotic.

Viridian6

I'm playing this for the first time too, just finished Door 3. Second story was my favourite so far
mostly because the WHG is kinda badass in that one, and a wallflower in the other two
Have some lingering questions, but think I'll finish the whole game first.

daveo42

Banned
Finished Door 1 and boy did that sure get dark and disturbing awful fast. Like a level darker and twisted than I ever expected.

Finished Door 1 and boy did that sure get dark and disturbing awful fast. Like a level darker and twisted than I ever expected.
I just finished myself. I'm surprised it's there's a bit more
complication to the story than you expect.

Antiwhippy

It's been a day or 2 now but I still can't get over how much I love (end game spoilers)
Giselle and Michel as a couple.

Seriously one of the most beautiful romances I've seen in media, not just gaming, <3

oh god you guys reminded me of
Aimee
NQjgc89.gif

all the salt is rushing back

Ascheroth

I'm lazy, so I'll just link to this post of mine, which is the 'final' impression of the game (no spoilers) and includes links to my chapter impressions. Though I did not do one for all of them.
It's amusing reading them in retrospect, although I wasn't exactly wordy, probably because I prioritized continuing reading :p

zelhawks37

(endgame spoilers)
Did they though?

I feel like didiers and georges ending up in the mansion even with no connection to morgana speaks that they really didn't?

I hope Aimee dies in a fucking trashfire though.

Hm I guess for those two, it is up interpretation, although I see your point. They definitely had regret for what happened to Michel, but I didnt see them having bad lives. The two brothers were definitely toyed around by Aimee though....

Yeah, screw that wench. Even the creators knew how evil she was in the extras.

Qurupeke

Door 2:

That was... something. I think it completely subverted my expectations, the asynchronous story telling for the different point of views is what managed to deceive me the most, I loved that. I'd say that the story was even a bit boring at first, but the revelation gave everything a new context and made it a lot more interesting and brutal. I'm still not sure how Fata Morgana handles supernatural elements, so I was certain it was a real beast, but the fact it was a human made everything darker and a lot more tragic. Damn, I'm really at a loss for words, I didn't see it coming.

I hope that the story will keep surprising me.

Loz246789

End game spoilers:
You know I was actually fairly forgiving of Aimee to begin with. When she ran away from Michel after the kiss, without making too big a deal of it, I was like "You know, considering the time period, that could have gone a lot worse. Relatively speaking, good for her."
...Then the rest of the plot happened. She's the actually worst.

Antiwhippy

Endgame spoilers.

Not to say his brothers aren't bad either. Didier and Georges can go fuck themselves no matter how guilty they felt. I mean they aren't as bad as the mother or fucking aimee but they also hurt michel a great deal more just because of his trust in them, and they knew it.

Michel is just way too nice.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Loving seeing this thread alive again and a bunch of new players!

GKFinns

I really hope this gets discounted during the steam sale so I can afford to try it. These impressions are making the wait really difficult!

zelhawks37

Endgame spoilers.

Not to say his brothers aren't bad either. Didier and Georges can go fuck themselves no matter how guilty they felt. I mean they aren't as bad as the mother or fucking aimee but they also hurt michel a great deal more just because of his trust in them, and they knew it.

Michel is just way too nice.

Agreed on the brothers. They didn't do anything for michel when he was trapped in that room either.

Despite all the crap Michel got, he still didnt give in to Morgana's temptations to curse them and that is what ultimately makes him the better person by a mile.

Speaking of Aimee, I found it disheartening that she was a major reason Michel hated Giselle at first because of her smile. So sad. :(

Antiwhippy

Agreed on the brothers. They didn't do anything for michel when he was trapped in that room either.

Despite all the crap Michel got, he still didnt give in to Morgana's temptations to curse them and that is what ultimately makes him the better person by a mile.

Speaking of Aimee, I found it disheartening that she was a major reason Michel hated Giselle at first because of her smile. So sad. :(

I kinda think it's more like it shows how having a supporting pillar, a tether if you will, is so important. Or to put it in anime terms, the power of love.

Michel had giselle to pull him out of the darkness. Morgana died alone in the darkness, being bled to death and armless knowing no love in the world, with the irony being that she's in that position due to someone who actually loved her.

:((((

zelhawks37

I kinda think it's more like it shows how having a supporting pillar, a tether if you will, is so important. Or to put it in anime terms, the power of love.

Michel had giselle to pull him out of the darkness. Morgana died alone in the darkness, being bled to death and armless knowing no love in the world, with the irony being that she's in that position due to someone who actually loved her.

:((((
Oh that is definitely true about the tether, but Michel had a lot of time to give in to Morgana before Giselle came along. That said, it was vital for both Giselle and Michel to find support after all that stuff they went through. When they talked it out after Michel scared the villagers away was really powerful.

I never really hated Morgana all that much with what you said. It makes it more tragic that the person that loved her turned out to be among the people that damaged her the most. Uggghhhh this game. :(

Viridian6

Just started Chapter 5.

I did read the backlog during Chapter 4, and was thoroughly expecting to be Michel, so I actually thought being the WHG after all was pretty cool. Was kind of disappointed during Michel's dramatic "reclamation of himself".

Door

Lol, I thought I got another bad ending when Yukimasa was torturing Michel. I got the ending for walking Maria home and I haven't been keeping a lot of save points so I thought I was just fucked. "Sorry about your arm and fingers.", haha fuck this guy.

And the track that plays during these cathartic breakthroughs is so good. I think it's the same one used when Michel figures out his and Giselle's identity too.

Taruranto

I was expecting to read more complaints about Door
to be honest, most people I know seem to have problems with the pacing and the shift in tone during that part.

zelhawks37

to be honest, most people I know seem to have problems with the pacing and the shift in tone during that part.
I didnt have a problem with it,
but it did surprise me at first. I was really glad you couldnt change the past when it was all done.

Antiwhippy

Oh that is definitely true about the tether, but Michel had a lot of time to give in to Morgana before Giselle came along. That said, it was vital for both Giselle and Michel to find support after all that stuff they went through. When they talked it out after Michel scared the villagers away was really powerful.

I never really hated Morgana all that much with what you said. It makes it more tragic that the person that loved her turned out to be among the people that damaged her the most. Uggghhhh this game. :(

He died with some sort of closure though, that's the thing. Morgana never had that.

But I think the game wants to show that the more you curse someone, the more you curse yourself.

You can't.

Curse you, Lumination!

The Maid's Tale
So yeah, the conclusion to The Cursed Mansion happened and I kinda choked up. Moving on...

This is a relatively lighter affair and I readily welcome it. Good job on not losing your mind being along for five decades, Giselle. That she only quite recently deluded herself - with her still hiding away all sorts of doubts when we see her in those doors - is surprising. You've got a lot to make up for, Michel.

I am kinda disappointed that Hayden Rhodes doesn't get a character art as he plays quite a critical role in Giselle's development.

Also, I got my first bad ending. Dangnable timed option...

Anyone here read the novels? I wish they were translated -_-

There are novels? Are they retellings or different stories?

Antiwhippy

Huh, (door 6 spoilers)
I don't think door 6 is that light at all. The idea of waiting for centuries for the one you love till the point of losing your actual self was heartbreaking to me when i read it.

Huh, (door 6 spoilers)
I don't think door 6 is that light at all. The idea of waiting for centuries for the one you love till the point of losing your actual self was heartbreaking to me when i read it.

I suppose it is much easier for me because I already know this particular door ends in a somewhat on positive note (the person she wait arrives at last) whereas the other doors have this "I wonder how things would end up wrong" sentiment hanging around. This door makes me hopeful while the others make me despairing.

Antiwhippy

I suppose it is much easier for me because I already know this particular door ends in a somewhat on positive note (the person she wait arrives at last) whereas the other doors have this "I wonder how things would end up wrong" sentiment hanging around. This door makes me hopeful while the others make me despairing.

You still got a bit to go my friend. :p

You still got a bit to go my friend. :p

Stop scaring me from continuing T_T

Like seriously, if this entire thing doesn't actually end up with Michel and Giselle getting peacefully reunited in some way, I'll hate this game forever. I'd even take "and then they die smiling in each other's embrace" at this point.

I certainly did.
After the fantastic previous doors this one just meanders with bad pacing, inconsistent and a focus on the entirely wrong characters. I even soured a bit on the Giselle/Michel couple since their interactions were so tropey at times. The door also had way too much repetition. A lot of episodes in the Morganas life we see for up to three times and it just loses its gravitas. I've also never been a big fan of trying to redeem villainous characters and the game certainly didn't succeed in it.

Blood of the Holy One

Uh, this is depraved. I am relieved it's delivered in a brief second-account fashion because going into the nitty-gritty because that would perhaps be too much for me. Though, maybe we'd circle back to this era because I'm sure quelling Morgana's grudge would be the end game here.

So with Nellie apparently also there, it seems that this whole reconstruction thingie is also a relationship package dealie? Then I'm guessing the Saintess is Pauline, judging by how the swordsman is obsessed with protecting her. Where's Maria, though? I remember her finding her own ancient handwriting in the cellar...

Loz246789

End game thoughts (Spoilers, obviously)

I can understand why some people may not like door 8, but I dunno, I really liked it. It's probably one of my favourite doors in the game. There's a lot of suffering(tm) in fata morgana, and whilst up to this point the game does a good job at balancing this out with moments of happiness, it also leads to some characters coming off as... maybe two dimensional is a bit harsh, but underdeveloped outside of the motivations and traits needed to progress the story (Nellie being all DEAREST MELL, Maria being a terrible relationship counsellor, etc).

This is all fine, and these things are definitely a fundamental part of these characters, but with Michel's influence and a slower pacing in door 8, the characters are given breathing room to just be themselves for a bit. They feel a lot more human as a result of door 8, even if they're not necessarily redeemed in the eyes of the player. Michel forgives them, sure, but he's too nice for his own good,and he has Morgana to worry about the entire door anyway, so he can't afford to pick and choose.

As for Michel and Giselle having tropey interactions... I mean, I guess. But personally by this point I was just glad they were relatively happy for once. And tropes are tropes for a reason, they work if the relationship is done well.

The repetition I'll concede. Although I haven't read the thing since first playing the game months ago, so I can't really remember the details, I'm sure a bit of trimming here and there could be done fairly easily.

Usobuko

Banned
I've also never been a big fan of trying to redeem villainous characters and the game certainly didn't succeed in it.

They weren't redeemed from my pov. Morgana was finally letting go of her hatred towards the three of them but she didn't forgive them.

MilkBeard

End game thoughts (Spoilers, obviously)

I can understand why some people may not like door 8, but I dunno, I really liked it. It's probably one of my favourite doors in the game. There's a lot of suffering(tm) in fata morgana, and whilst up to this point the game does a good job at balancing this out with moments of happiness, it also leads to some characters coming off as... maybe two dimensional is a bit harsh, but underdeveloped outside of the motivations and traits needed to progress the story (Nellie being all DEAREST MELL, Maria being a terrible relationship counsellor, etc).

This is all fine, and these things are definitely a fundamental part of these characters, but with Michel's influence and a slower pacing in door 8, the characters are given breathing room to just be themselves for a bit. They feel a lot more human as a result of door 8, even if they're not necessarily redeemed in the eyes of the player. Michel forgives them, sure, but he's too nice for his own good,and he has Morgana to worry about the entire door anyway, so he can't afford to pick and choose.

As for Michel and Giselle having tropey interactions... I mean, I guess. But personally by this point I was just glad they were relatively happy for once. And tropes are tropes for a reason, they work if the relationship is done well.

The repetition I'll concede. Although I haven't read the thing since first playing the game months ago, so I can't really remember the details, I'm sure a bit of trimming here and there could be done fairly easily.

Yep, I agree mostly here.
The only issue I had by this point is that some parts were repeated a number of times (but this isn't just a problem with door 8, as it happened in doors 4 and 5).

It's important to understand that these villains weren't necessarily being redeemed; the game was showing their point of view and why they did what they did. This doesn't mean we give them a pass, but their souls have been suffering for ages because of this, so it was important to see that they should finally be released (even if not forgiven by Morgana).

And really, fleshing out of the motives for antagonists is mostly always a good thing.
We see that in most impactful actions there are complex feelings and motives.

And Michel and Giselle's "tropy" interaction, as someone said, actually helps to balance out the heavy, dark feeling that the game always has, so it is much appreciated by me.

They weren't redeemed from my pov. Morgana was finally letting go of her hatred towards the three of them but she didn't forgive them.

Yep, I think that was the point.
I also liked seeing deeper into their reasons. More complex motives are better than "I did it cuz I'm evil!"

So, what is the best place to buy the OST? iTunes has it as does Steam? Though it is more expensive on iTunes and the track order seems to be messed up. I've never bought music on Steam before, what file format do the tracks come in?

Kalor

So, what is the best place to buy the OST? iTunes has it as does Steam? Though it is more expensive on iTunes and the track order seems to be messed up. I've never bought music on Steam before, what file format do the tracks come in?

On Steam it's all mp3s.

Taruranto

Chapter 8 spoilers

I personally don't dislike it, I appreciate what they tried to do, but I can see why some people may have issues with it it. Door 7's ending sorta "hypes" you, and then Door 8 starts and it essentially resets the story and you feel kinda like you are starting another novel. The door also a lot of humor, especially if you pick certain answers. The humor itself is not bad, but it can feel a bit out of place.

I think it's the only time Fata has serious pacing problems, most VN suffer from a massive numbers of repetitions or slice of life scenes, FM only had a couple until that point.

Top Bottom