• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Taruranto

I like that there isn't a universal liked/disliked door. I actually really enjoyed that one because
the twist was in the middle rather than at the end. And the music was stellar. I think Jacopo's character is one that you might see quite a bit in real life, but yeah agreed on the white-haired girl.

(End-game spoiler)

Well, the white haired girl being essentially a "purity sue" is pretty much intentional, isn't it?

(End-game spoiler)

Well, the white haired girl being essentially a "purity sue" is pretty much intentional, isn't it?

(HUGE spoilers!)
Yeah, and even if it isn't, due to why the first three Doors happen in the first place, something outlandishly tragic is supposed to happen: Morgana is affecting the outcome. Maria actually touches upon this in the Backstage- Morgana confirms that she'd been influencing the way her victims were acting and the overall chain of events, and that Maria probably would not have succeeded without Morgana's influence.

And that's why I have no issue whatsoever with the White-Haired Girl being so dense in the Third Door.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
UH.

Hmmm.

Uhhhhhh.

(endgame spoilers)

I WAS SO DISTRESSED WHEN THE CREDITS WERE ROLLING. :((((((

I should have known they were going to pull some after credits shenanigans, though to be fair it's late and I'm half-delirious.

But wow, what a beautiful, tragic story in the end.
Michel is almost waaaaaaaay too nice lmao. But I think in the end it showed how much he valued the peace giselle brought into his life.

I must say it was a bit hard swallowing that the 3 men really should be sympathised with at all, where even though it was borned out of misunderstandings and somewhat not-terrible secondary desires, they still fully went through their own delusions and m,ade morgana go through a living hell knowing full well that she didn't deserve it. But I think it's really nicely shown by morgana in the end that it's not really about forgiveness, but more from the need to move on, lest one continues this tragic spiral. Which I guess is shown in Michel's and Morgana's duality.

Kinda weird they made jacopo at 24 fall in love with morgana at 12 though....

Also nominating michel and giselles the cutest couple in gaming,

Anyway, probably need more time to stew on it.

aravuus

Finished door 1.

Wow. This is going to be fun. I don't believe a book/VN has ever managed to make me cry, but if this is how Fata Morgana starts, it might be the first.

Really good stuff. In particular I have to mention how much I enjoy the writing. Very concise and to the point without feeling shallow or emotionless, or like a textbook just recounting the events, if that makes any sense. I've never been a fan of purple prose or ridiculously long and detailed descriptions, so this is immensely satisfying to read.

It's already 9:30pm but fuck it, onward to door 2.

jonjonaug

(HUGE spoilers!)
Yeah, and even if it isn't, due to why the first three Doors happen in the first place, something outlandishly tragic is supposed to happen: Morgana is affecting the outcome. Maria actually touches upon this in the Backstage- Morgana confirms that she'd been influencing the way her victims were acting and the overall chain of events, and that Maria probably would not have succeeded without Morgana's influence.

And that's why I have no issue whatsoever with the White-Haired Girl being so dense in the Third Door.
It's more obvious on a second playthrough where this happens, particularly in chapter 2.

Dee Dee

You'll love it.

I just finished Door 2.
And you're lying. Holy crap.
I mean I love it, but it's just kicks in the balls so far.

I applaud the game for its writing - a lot of times I don't see the things coming until I'm knee deep in them and just go "nononononononoononoooo" while reading them.
It's not like stuff is unexpected per se, but even when in retrospect you should have seen it coming, you're just very entranced by the flow of the story, that you hardly ever take that step back to go "now, where might this one actually lead?" which might be easily answered with "lots of despair, enjoy the ride".

Can someone who finished the game explain in the least spoilery way possible what my choices inbetween doors could lead too? Didn't really find a walkthrough to understand what I should be aiming for and what type of ending might be considered good.

At least let me know if my very first reply to the Maid was something that has locked me into a route.

Steam Achievements spoilers:
I just unlocked an achievement called "Memento".

sbs2601

Neo Member
Can someone who finished the game explain in the least spoilery way possible what my choices inbetween doors could lead too?

There are
certain places you need to enter and certain scenes you need to see
to unlock the second half of the game and get to the true ending.

At least let me know if my very first reply to the Maid was something that has locked me into a route.
No.

Loz246789

Can someone who finished the game explain in the least spoilery way possible what my choices inbetween doors could lead too? Didn't really find a walkthrough to understand what I should be aiming for and what type of ending might be considered good.

Steam Achievements spoilers:
I just unlocked an achievement called "Memento".

From what you've done so far, you're fine.
Incredibly light structure spoilers:
Fata doesn't really have multiple routes, it just has various endings branching off from certain points on the way to the true ending.
Just keep a few backup saves, and you should be fine, although worst case scenario there *is* a (limited) chapter select feature.

Just finished Door 1. Loving the soundtrack, it really enhances the mood of each scene. I wish there were other character portraits, like for the priest or jeweler. But I guess the devs had a tight budget.

I correctly guessed that Nellie was in love with Mell. The half sister thing came out of nowhere for me, though.

I thought that there would be a parallel to Romeo and Juliet, and Nellie would kill herself rather than be forced to marry someone else or see Mell with another girl.

The scene where Nellie scratched the painting and then the bedroom scene at the end... Wow.

Gonna call it for now. I'll start Door 2 later this week.

Cels

late story spoilers:
"sorry about your fingers and your arm" LUL the swordsman is the worst. zero sympathy for him even in his reborn merchant incarnation, and especially not in in his morgana-era version

daveo42

Banned
I just started the first door and this is already so good. I'm surprised this is considered the weakest portion of the VN because I'm already digging the vibe, characters, setting...well everything really.

aravuus

I just started the first door and this is already so good. I'm surprised this is considered the weakest portion of the VN because I'm already digging the vibe, characters, setting...well everything really.

Yeah. Trying to keep my expectations in check, but it's not easy considering how enjoyable the first door was already.

The first 30 minutes of door 2 didn't quite get its hooks on me like door 1 did, but it's still very interesting. And very different.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I also liked it from the beginning. Even if people call some parts 'weak', they are still great.
This game is not a case of 'it starts getting good after X hours'.

RAL1992

Finished the first door, unfortunately the game crashed resulting in me losing all of my progress but regardless I can't wait to jump back in!

Looking through the OT the first section is supposedly the weakest part of the game but I loved it, I'm planning on completing a door a day so that I'm not just rushing through the experience.

Thanks again to OniBaka for the giveaway, this game would of probably stayed under my radar if it wasn't for you! Will post full impressions soon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's all about relativity. The first few stories are pretty decent to good gothic horror stories but if the entire VN is just a bunch of pretty decent to good gothic horror stories I don't think I would love it as much as I did.

Speaking of gothic stories this VN really reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe.

luulubuu

Neogaf: Peer Pressure

bJGMIMs.png

Finally scooped this up last night, just before the sale ended. I'm on Door 2 and am really enjoying it so far. I'm really impressed by the quality of the writing; the localization team did some great work here. Really curious to see how the game changes once I get past this door.

Door 4:
"I might really, really love you." That line might be the most crushing thing I've read so far, knowing that the game is too cruel to let this last just makes the total innocence of that line sting.

Edit: Either I totally missed this somehow in the last few doors or the text log got real weird in this door.

Misty Manor

I like this incarnation of the White-Haired Girl more than the other because she's just a bit more pro-active. At the same time, she feels a bit too perfect? Like the things she does or says sometimes come of a bit too insightful and understanding for a supposedly ostracized peasant girl.

Considering all the foreshadowing and the creepy dialogues appearing in the backlog (neat use of the medium, there), I suspect she's actually an idealized version of herself here. Or perhaps the entire story is; the whole thing reads like a shoujo tragi-fantasy, with a shoujo heroine finally put in a narrative befitting of her instead of an authentic setting where people are cruel.

As an aside, that whole "what if I told you that I don't need food" --> "that seems economical" exchange is just so shoujo.

Intermission after Misty Manor

Eiii, so the White-Haired Girl is not even an idealized version; she straight up doesn't exist in that story? What about her in the other doors? Are those fabrications too? Or Michel's twisted reincarnation (that seems too easy, though)? Whatever she is, I am increasingly subscribing to this idea that she's someone shoujo fantasy somehow.

And it's getting really interesting, isn't it. I honestly didn't expect that the Maid would be that involved. I was planning on stopping at the start of Door 5, but maybe I'll march on...

Baliis

Intermission after Misty Manor

Eiii, so the White-Haired Girl is not even an idealized version; she straight up doesn't exist in that story? What about her in the other doors? Are those fabrications too? Or Michel's twisted reincarnation (that seems too easy, though)? Whatever she is, I am increasingly subscribing to this idea that she's someone shoujo fantasy somehow.

And it's getting really interesting, isn't it. I honestly didn't expect that the Maid would be that involved. I was planning on stopping at the start of Door 5, but maybe I'll march on...

I ended up going through door 4 and the next two all in one sitting, I couldn't tear myself away. Door
had me literally tearing up at part of it.

also

Banned
Just completed chapter 5. That was some pretty heavy stuff and hard to read at times.
The beginning and how it contrasts with door 4 can be quite comical at times but then it all comes crashing down. But then the maid is saved and lives a simple and modest life, but only ever so briefly because the world is just littered with bastards. But then she somehow gets through to Michel and they lived happily ever after... NOT!
Screw this game and the false hope it gives. Every light is only lit so that the ensuing darkness feels even darker. Ugh. I'm not falling for that any more: I'm just going to assume tragedy, tragedy, tragedy from now on.

And good job on religion and superstitions ruining everything as always.

I've been playing this game in a coffee-fueled binge since Door 4 and I just have to say, the OST is just perfect. Absolute perfection.

Just after door 4:
Well this just became way more interesting. Once I noticed the text in the backlog as well as picked up on the fact that the maid wasn't mentioned at all I started to think things weren't as they seemed and that door 4 was nothing more than a fabrication.

That said I certainly wasn't expecting the reveal that I got. I'd assumed pretty early on that the maid would be the witch and I would be the girl in white, which the game initially stated was the case, but then they totally turn that around and it turns out that was also a lie. They sure know how to subvert expectations.

The Cursed Mansion

Got to Giselle's backstory and this is actually hard to read and I was not mentally prepared. I need to rest for now.

Late game spoilers(post-Door 4)
post-Door 6, actually. Don't know how we're handling doors after 4 but if you're past Door 4 then you alreadyy know there are more doors so yeah. Actual spoilers in the next tag.

I can't see Jacopo from the third door as the lord from Morgana's story. Yukimasa and Mell fit their counterparts perfectly, but Jacopo was just a insecure asshole who still treated, at least from Giselle and Maria's perspectives, his help alright and was very conflicted about violence and his past. Seems like a big jump from chaining and torturing child slaves for vain bloodfeasts and beheading them. I don't know.

aravuus

The first half or so of door 2 wasn't very interesting compared to door 1 and I might have thought "come on, get on with it" to myself a couple of times, but holy shit did it ramp up on the last fourth

Door 5:
This door has been insanely uncomfortable to sit through and now we're in a spot where Michel and Giselle are comfortable with each other and it's somewhat happy and that's just going to be ripped away and ugghhhhh.

Qurupeke

I started the game earlier, completed the first door and I'm a couple of hours on the second one. Very good so far. Also, fantastic music.

First Door Spoilers:

A good start. A tale of jealously, that was actually a lot more complex than I imagined, with a couple of twists that managed to shake everything up. Yandere imouto included. The whole tragedy was rather depressing, and despite having a fair number of warnings, I didn't expect things to go that south. Poor Mell couldn't catch a break. Also, there's already a lot of groundwork for a bigger mystery, with the white-haired girl, the maid and Mell's dreams. This will be interesting.

ike_

I can throw out what I remember of my impressions of Chapters 1 vs 2 (the demo).

I was a little down on Chapter 1. I can be extra picky about game openings, and I thought having what almost felt like a Game of Thrones-level taboo hot button story beat in the very first chapter felt a little unnecessary and awkward. But the whole story was easily chilling enough and well done to keep me going a bit longer. It played out more as a horror story than a drama/tragedy which I really liked.

So based on those initial impressions, what really sold me on this game was Chapter 2. Getting something completely different (and not strictly better, just a completely unexpected story) gave me just enough hope that even if I ended up not liking the overall story arc, there would probably be at least be few good creative side stories that I would really enjoy.

After that, not sure when the demo was going to end, I was like "demo please, give me a minute, a screenshot, or just a single character portrait of where Chapter 3 is going." Demo was like "nope," so after a few painful minutes of debating I went to Steam and bought the full game.

Finally finished Door

I've seen Michel die three times now and I teared up every. single. time. Even the fairy tale.

Top Bottom