• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Baliis

I also picked this up in the sale recently, and finished the first door.
Welllll, will I have fun with this???? Probably nooooot.

As someone who likes their nice Otome happy endings with a kiss and a hug in the sunset, this is quite the change of pace. Superbly done so far though.

Just peeked through Door 2, and this looks vastly different a story already. Let's do this!

I know I'm not having any fun, but I can't look away.

I love everything about that scene, when I re-read that part and this happened I got goosebumps: https://i.imgur.com/rqhyL0I.jpg

For me it was
The image of the white haired girl flipping over to the real image. I had kind of thought it was odd that you saw a lot of Michel during the dialogue, but not the girl when she was so prominent in the other stories. Plus that artwork in that shot is just so pretty http://i.imgur.com/ns82jmY.jpg

I'm really liking door 5 already, how it's
the same story, but now Giselle and Michel have so much more personality, they aren't just "characters" as it pointed out before. I didn't even notice that really at first, but now that you see the real them it's so obvious that door 4 was lacking some what. I kind of noticed something was off as I mentioned it felt pretty short, but geez, this writing is all so good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love everything about that scene, when I re-read that part and this happened I got goosebumps: https://i.imgur.com/rqhyL0I.jpg

:(((((((

This makes Door 6 such a gutpunch.

I'm really liking door 5 already, how it's
the same story, but now Giselle and Michel have so much more personality, they aren't just "characters" as it pointed out before. I didn't even notice that really at first, but now that you see the real them it's so obvious that door 4 was lacking some what. I kind of noticed something was off as I mentioned it felt pretty short, but geez, this writing is all so good.

When I wrote my impressions of that chapter I felt like it was too much of a
fantasy compared to the real human tragedy of the previous doors.

Baliis

For when I wrote my impressions of that chapter I felt like it was too much of a fantasy compared to the real human tragedy of the previous 3 doors.

Yea I'm thinking about it more now
fantasy is exactly the word that comes to mind. It's more of a fairy tale than a real story with the only time you see the white haired girl being this super idealized moment as she stands in the lone ray of sunlight.
So many little subtle clues that are obvious in hindsight.

Taruranto

I literally went
"That's it? She fell in love with him like that?" In my mind, I felt pretty rewarded after the door lol.

Antiwhippy

Yea I'm thinking about it more now
fantasy is exactly the word that comes to mind. It's more of a fairy tale than a real story with the only time you see the white haired girl being this super idealized moment as she stands in the lone ray of sunlight.
So many little subtle clues that are obvious in hindsight.

Oooooh.

Keep going.

OniBaka

I couldn't put it in words when I was playing that part on why
it felt off but it also to do with the clues you get in the house that contradicts door 4.

ike_

Loving these impressions. My experience was more like Baliis'.
"Wow finally a nice and magical fairy tale story and ending."

In my defense I was double-delirious since I was both sick and marathoning this game after getting hooked. I'm still pretty sure this game is real and all this actually happened in my living room.

Antiwhippy

Also if I'm being honest the tragedy of door 5 didn't hit me hard until I got (heavy spoilers)
the context from door 7.

But boy.

When it hits it hits hard.

Also I just finished (door 8)
Mell's story
. How much longer do I have to go?

Usobuko

Banned
Also if I'm being honest the tragedy of door 5 didn't hit me hard until I got (heavy spoilers)
the context from door 7.

But boy.

When it hits it hits hard.

Also I just finished (door 8)
Mell's story
. How much longer do I have to go?

Not much further.

You can power through it in one sitting in 2hrs or so.

I'm starting the game's proper now. Thanks again to OniBaka for the giveaway!

Some story impressions from the Demo:

Thankfully(?) all the talk about despair got my guard up so I was not blindsided by the tragedies. I kept expecting the worst case scenario and they're pretty much what happened.

As expected as the Door 1 story is, I hit me kinda hard because I could empathize with Nellie to some degree. That must have been rough.

The event in Door 2 really really sucks, but I have a glimmer of relief that there is no redemption for Yukimasa. There is really no come back for a character who commits all those atrocities with elation and the White-Haired Girl is a big dum dum. So in some way I'm glad it ended as it did. Sucks for all the victims, though. Dang.

So onto Door 3! This is an era I adore, and I really like this music they're starting it with. I wonder in what way the story would crush my heart this time, haha :(

Baliis

I'm starting the game's proper now. Thanks again to OniBaka for the giveaway!

Some story impressions from the Demo:

Thankfully(?) all the talk about despair got my guard up so I was not blindsided by the tragedies. I kept expecting the worst case scenario and they're pretty much what happened.

As expected as the Door 1 story is, I hit me kinda hard because I could empathize with Nellie to some degree. That must have been rough.

The event in Door 2 really really sucks, but I have a glimmer of relief that there is no redemption for Yukimasa. There is really no come back for a character who commits all those atrocities with elation and the White-Haired Girl is a big dum dum. So in some way I'm glad it ended as it did. Sucks for all the victims, though. Dang.

So onto Door 3! This is an era I adore, and I really like this music they're starting it with. I wonder in what way the story would crush my heart this time, haha :(

To quote someone from a couple pages back
MgyMeBU.png

Antiwhippy

I actually do think the first 2 doors are the weakest story-wise even when I was playing through it blind.

Shizuka

I actually do think the first 2 doors are the weakest story-wise even when I was playing through it blind.

I think they were meant to set the tone, much like the first few chapters of Steins;Gate. You'll get a hint of what's to come, but it doesn't necessarily prepare you for it.

I wouldn't say "weak" exactly, just... kinda predictable? Like if you're reading gothic fantasy, those are exactly the sort of stories you'd expect. I get emotional really easily, though, so they are still pretty rough for me. Thus this statement that they are actually the weakest fills me with dread and anticipation in equal parts.

(I'm stalling actually playing Door 3)

Shizuka

I wouldn't say "weak" exactly, just... kinda predictable? Like if you're reading gothic fantasy, those are exactly the sort of stories you'd expect. I get emotional really easily, though, so they are still pretty rough for me. Thus this statement that they are actually the weakest fills me with dread and anticipation in equal parts.

Brace yourself, sugar cup.

jonjonaug

With door 4 I immediately
realized what was going on there because I scrolled into the backlog right after the chapter started. At first I thought there was a bug or something and actually contacted Mangagamer people about it.

OniBaka

realized what was going on there because I scrolled into the backlog right after the chapter started. At first I thought there was a bug or something and actually contacted Mangagamer people about it.
Lmao, I love to hear what they responded with.

Antiwhippy

I think they were meant to set the tone, much like the first few chapters of Steins;Gate. You'll get a hint of what's to come, but it doesn't necessarily prepare you for it.

Oh, it's kinda different from that.

Steins;gate is more like "let's give you all this happiness now so we can crush you even more".

Taruranto

Yay, so many people playing! Hopefully those who finish it will spread the word more.

I have a soft spot for Door 1 like I said in the other thread, I really like the setting and I think the setup is definitely intriguing. The Climax is also a genuine 10/10.
There is also a crazy amount of foreshadowing if you ever re-read it.
I even prefer it to Door 3 for some things.

I pretty much went blind and I wasn't even hyped, so it was a pretty weird experience lol.

Shizuka

I'm giving away a copy of the game for my fellow Brazilian NeoGAF members, hopefully we'll get another person here posting impressions soon.

Baliis

Door 5:
This whole scene with giving her the rose is too sweet. Stop making me feel good game I know you're just going to take it away T_T

Edit:
"All the other doors we visited ended in tragedy, and ours is no exception."
Game please

BTA

Yeah I also immediately
saw the backlog changes happen and, having quickly realized it was intentional, was REALLY into the idea of a backlog function getting messed with like that; it's a really rad concept.

Door 4

I love coming here to post something and seeing people discuss the exact thing I was just about to post about. I caught the added backlog text immediately after I started too since I love to read and reread lines, though at first I thought I might've inadvertently skipped something. Pretty cool.

Curious to find out why everything's changed from the first version of these events that I saw from the mirror. "To rewrite the woman you loved", hmm. And the backlog dialogue is no longer censored after The Maid starts telling the story...actually scratch that, spoke too soon.

A question for people who finished the game:
When did we get Morgana's backstory?
I could've sworn that it was Door 5 but I'm not sure. I mean the scene where we learn about the saint being drained of her blood.

Antiwhippy

A question for people who finished the game:
When did we get Morgana's backstory?
I could've sworn that it was Door 5 but I'm not sure. I mean the scene where we learn about the saint being drained of her blood.

Door 6 as Michel is climbing the tower.

Bought the game after having it on my Steam wishlist for months. 40 minutes into the First Door, and no big plot twists or anything crazy yet, but I'm already sucked into this. Both looking forward to and dreading what I will witness next.

Usobuko

Banned
It's not a Fata Morgana thread without the ost discussion.

For those of you who reach near the end, is your favorite Cicio or Giselle?

Baliis

I've been waiting until I finish to sit and listen to the full OST again, but so far what I've heard in game is amazing. Some of the piano songs I've just stopped and listened to for a while.

I've been keeping an eye on the price of this game and just pulled the trigger. I'm only about 20-30 minutes in but the sound track is goooooooood. I like the song with the kids singing because it reminds me of Pascal's Village from Nier.

I've never been able to make it through a visual novel, but the atmosphere seems right up my ally and i'm ready for all kinds of dread and sadness.

Iron Pig Manor

Tragic as it may be, it was hard to sympathize with the two lovebirds due to the utter stupidity they both display. Obviously more so with Jacopo because he's the one who abuses power to protect his fragile ego, but the White-Haired Girl's cuckoo "naive purity" thing is also starting to get tiring the third time around. Hopefully there'd be some kind of a pay-off to that.

All in all, I unfortunately found it the weakest of the doors so far. The whole miscommunication angle - orchestrated by a cackling villain, even - reminds me too much of soap operas in the wrong way.

The intermission between the doors is getting pretty involved, isn't it?
I like that it seems there are other active hands on the "current" manor than just the Maid and find it all very intriguing.

Well I bought the game, Deluxe edition (didn't think it was 68 tracks on 4 CDs, I was surprised to see so much).

Very curious if it'll approach my favorites or not. Not sure when I'll be able to really read it though, so it's going to be on the long haul.

Loz246789

I'm so glad the game seems to be getting a second wind on here, it totally deserves it. (I look at steamspy a lot for this game and it depresses me every time)

Usobuko

Banned
I'm so glad the game seems to be getting a second wind on here, it totally deserves it. (I look at steamspy a lot for this game and it depresses me every time)

It's quality will ensure subsequent winds.

MangaGamer shouldn't rush to discount yet, a gradual decline in price suffice.

Giselle.

Looking for the name of that song was literally the first thing I did after finishing the game.

Overall favorite is probably still Hex.

Door 4

One particular thing I noticed about this chapter is the absence of a third wheel the Master of the house also cares about, in addition to the White-haired girl. No Nellie/Pauline/Maria. Coincidence or does it play into this chapter being complete bullshit?

Sciel

Love the surge of activity that this thread has been getting lately.
So happy to see so many new players enjoying this fantastic VN ^o^.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Iron Pig Manor

Tragic as it may be, it was hard to sympathize with the two lovebirds due to the utter stupidity they both display. Obviously more so with Jacopo because he's the one who abuses power to protect his fragile ego, but the White-Haired Girl's cuckoo "naive purity" thing is also starting to get tiring the third time around. Hopefully there'd be some kind of a pay-off to that.

All in all, I unfortunately found it the weakest of the doors so far. The whole miscommunication angle - orchestrated by a cackling villain, even - reminds me too much of soap operas in the wrong way.
I like that there isn't a universal liked/disliked door. I actually really enjoyed that one because
the twist was in the middle rather than at the end. And the music was stellar. I think Jacopo's character is one that you might see quite a bit in real life, but yeah agreed on the white-haired girl.

going to subscribe here for later. just finished up the 2nd door. i really love the way narration is done in this. definitely a great example of an unreliable narrator haha.

for what its worth, I do find people naming doors other than 1-4 pretty spoilery. obviously im not far at all. looking forward to playing more ;_;

aravuus

Just started this myself, thought this would be a good time thanks to the raffle. Lots of action (relatively speaking) in this thread.

I'm certain I'm not the first to mention this, but the intro song is giving me very strong Nier vibes. Loving this and the one that plays in the main menu, good start OST-wise.

Top Bottom